Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

MassRayPer posted:

Karl Stern is doing a series on the History of Wrestling. His first two shows have covered the entire pioneer era up to Gotch/Hackenschmidt. This is a period in wrestling that is only rarely covered and most fans have literally no clue about it. Definitely check it out.

Thanks for the heads up. I usually find Stern a bit dry, but I'll definitely give the series a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Borh posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I usually find Stern a bit dry, but I'll definitely give the series a try.

As it is straight up history it is dry by nature it is still really fascinating. I've heard bits and pieces on how wrestling became a work in the mid 1800s and why but hearing the whole story is awesome.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MassRayPer posted:

As it is straight up history it is dry by nature it is still really fascinating. I've heard bits and pieces on how wrestling became a work in the mid 1800s and why but hearing the whole story is awesome.

So long as he doesn't spend 15 minutes trying to sell me a backlog of Dragon King Newsletters.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's cool because you see how much of current prowrestling is taken from wrestling from like the 1500s, like the Irish Whip and the Snap Mare.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
GOLD DUST TRIO

4 LIFE

A BALLIN LUNCH!!
Mar 13, 2007

The reason why I hope granny dies is that skipping her poo poo makes the podcast shorter, thus ripping me off.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

"Are you home?"
"When I said I was at the beach that indicated that I was not in fact at home."

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I'm so sick of hearing about UFC's debut on Fox and fantasy cards for it, that I would take entire podcasts of just Granny butchering people's names and reading lotto numbers at this point.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

If you're a fan of Loveline's old Smoke Detector bit, don't listen to this week's Review a Raw.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Neodoomium posted:

If you're a fan of Loveline's old Smoke Detector bit, don't listen to this week's Review a Raw.

Oh dear god, what is wrong with people, why can't people just change their loving batteries and how does that not drive them crazy?

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
We spent the majority of the first half of this week's Smart Wrestling Fan discussing how much we hate Matt Hardy, and who out of him and Jeff will kill themselves first.

Then the video was uploaded to Matt's account. Seriously. Just after we'd finished hating on him for 2 hours.

Suffice to say we continued to make jokes about it.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.
"After I teach that motherfucking cat how to walk on two legs, I'm gonna teach it how to run the ropes".

I may be the only one, but I legit :lol:'d at that line.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Borh posted:

"After I teach that motherfucking cat how to walk on two legs, I'm gonna teach it how to run the ropes".

Nope, I did too, especially for Vinny's exasperated reaction

ElementalKnight
Jan 2, 2009

Borh posted:

I came to post this. So perfect.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Borh posted:

Bryan legitimately feeling he has a better chance of teaching his cat how to run the ropes than Kelly.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Borh posted:

Me too. I was wondering where he was going with that tangent up until he said that line...

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 1, 2011

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly
Maybe after Snorki learns to run the ropes, she can then skin the cat :downs:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I totally zoned out through the entire podcast last night. All I got from it was that Vince deliberately tried to put Verne Gagne out of business, but it's okay because Gagne is a prick.

bartok
May 10, 2006

LordPants posted:

I totally zoned out through the entire podcast last night. All I got from it was that Vince deliberately tried to put Verne Gagne out of business, but it's okay because Gagne is a prick.
and a murderer

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Chunky Delight posted:

and a murderer

Yes, drat that dementia-ridden, 83-year-old husk of a man's black soul.

A BALLIN LUNCH!!
Mar 13, 2007

Granny was really unfunny and terrible again. I wish more people would tell him this so it would stop

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Just skip the granny segments? I like her.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

A BALLIN LUNCH!! posted:

Granny was really unfunny and terrible again. I wish more people would tell him this so it would stop

The more people tell him that, the more time he's going to give to the Granny segments. If you didn't know better, you might even think Bryan Alvarez enjoys seeing people get all worked up about stuff like this. ;)

A BALLIN LUNCH!!
Mar 13, 2007

Ah yes, Bryan Alvarez what a masterful troll, making people not want to listen (pay) for his thing

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!
He only "trolls" because he gets pissed at saying his show is poo poo/a segment of his show is poo poo, so he pretends he was trolling us all along.

A BALLIN LUNCH!!
Mar 13, 2007

The way he gets worked up about random poo poo and TNA every week, I doubt he actually has the ability to troll. Just like Dave can't imagine things

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I've never heard Bryan say that he's doing it to troll people. He just is doing it because he enjoys it and he says almost once a month "if you don't like it, don't subscribe."

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Rick posted:

I've never heard Bryan say that he's doing it to troll people. He just is doing it because he enjoys it and he says almost once a month "if you don't like it, don't subscribe."

The moment you say this you've lost track of why you do something like a podcast in the first place.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Rick posted:

That's a pretty bad business mentality, but things like that are usually small bits of the overall product (one of his other comments about it is "if you don't like it, hit the fast forward button/don't listen to that show"), and he's obviously not hurting for subscriptions, so it doesn't seem to be doing him any noticeable damage.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I understand why people can hate the granny segment as I personally don't like them, but seriously just wait a couple seconds and skip ahead about twenty minutes.

That being said, Bryan gets hung up on the DUMBEST things. While Alex Shelly and James Storm were teaming as Gun Money he would rail against the name insisting that Storm was "The Beer Guy" and "THIS loving COMPANY" about the insanity of going with that name. Shut up, Bryan. Every name for that team was going to be kind of terrible. It's not like the team gets their name from James Storm loving beer and Bobby Roode loving money and their specific combination forms the Mega Powers of beer and money.

Anyway, skip ahead 20-25 minutes if you hate granny that much. She's only on like one show a week, people.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Oatgan posted:

It's not like the team gets their name from James Storm loving beer and Bobby Roode loving money and their specific combination forms the Mega Powers of beer and money.

Uh, that's exactly where they get their name, which is why Shelley/Storm being called Gun Money made no sense.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lone Rogue posted:

The moment you say this you've lost track of why you do something like a podcast in the first place.

Because you enjoy it? Hmm, that sounds exactly like what someone who enjoys it would say.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Lloyd Boner posted:

Uh, that's exactly where they get their name, which is why Shelley/Storm being called Gun Money made no sense.

Maybe James Storm also likes money now or Robert Roode's still an integral part of the team despite being injured? It's not like any of these are actually a thing like gun money:

- Motor Beer
- Beer Motor
- City Beer
* Beer City
- Machine Beer
* Beer Machine
- Gun Beer
* Beer Guns

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Web Jew.0 posted:

* Beer Machine

See now, there's a word combination that immediately makes me reach for my credit card.

Oh, you mean as a wrestling tag team? Heh, that's fine as well, I guess.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Web Jew.0 posted:

Maybe James Storm also likes money now or Robert Roode's still an integral part of the team despite being injured? It's not like any of these are actually a thing like gun money:

- Motor Beer
- Beer Motor
- City Beer
* Beer City
- Machine Beer
* Beer Machine
- Gun Beer
* Beer Guns

Beer City Money Machine would have been sweet. It doesn't make any sense, but it sounds awesome.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

Phenix Rising posted:

Beer City Money Machine would have been sweet. It doesn't make any sense, but it sounds awesome.

I would have tuned in just to hear Mike Tenay scream this name.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Beer City Money Machine Stacking It Up for the win!!!!!!!!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MassRayPer posted:

Because you enjoy it? Hmm, that sounds exactly like what someone who enjoys it would say.

You do a podcast because you want an audience to hear what you have to say. If you just want to say stuff for nobody to hear and criticize/discuss/enjoy, you can just talk to yourself.

The moment you start fighting with your audience and telling them to stop subscribing because they don't like the stupid things you find to be funny, you lost the purpose. You're driving your audience away on purpose. Or, you're purposely annoying them knowing that they won't leave for elements you really don't bring to the table.

"If you don't like it don't listen" is so tortured artist it's a cliché.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

if you do a podcast because you want people to hear what you have to say, why should you change what you have to say?

There's a huge gulf between "I'm doing what I want to do and if you want to listen that's fine" and "I'm purposefully going to do things I know you won't like"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

At the end of the day, this is the same guy who was charging people MORE money for buying a full-year subscription to his website compared to those buying it month-to-month. Of course he's not going to see why wrestling fans wouldn't want to hear him talk to his grandmother for 20-30 minutes.

• Locked thread