Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Zubumafoo posted:

You're probably right with the older bike, just figured I would throw it out there. The only problem I have with the Ninja is I'm really just not a fan of sport bikes. I also have nothing against a bike with fairings.

Any recommendations on something that would be more of a standard-type bike, and not bad for a first bike? I realize that maybe I'm just being too drat picky but I would think there's something out there like that.

"If you absolutely must have a naked bike, an adult-owned Yamaha Diversion (Seca II?) or even a Suzuki GS500 will be so much more likely to get you to your destination. "

The former came in a pure "naked" flavour, but I think all or most American XJ600s have a half fairing. It's a simple, reliable, fuel-efficient air-cooled four making not a lot of power that can be fixed with hammers if something goes wrong. Slightly prone to rusting in places due to a steel cradle frame (check the frame behind the pegs and around the swingarm pivot for rust).

The GS500 has a lot more fans in the US than in the UK (to judge by these forums), where it would be way, way down the order in the budget Japanese naked bike stakes, but if you want a pure naked bike it's an option and should be fairly readily available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
I've got the new bike itch, bad :saddowns:

I absolutely freakin love my 625 SMC but it just has too many shortcomings to keep around as my main bike. It's great around town but the lack of range due to a small tank and pretty crappy fuel econ, hellacious vibes, and stupid short gearing make for a piss poor distance mount. Considering I have to ride ~200 miles in any direction to get to interesting terrain this just doesn't work very well.

As such, I'm looking for something a little different to replace it with... Right now the front runners are the 690 Duke and a bike I didn't realize existed till yesterday, the 990 SMT. Other possibilities are the 690 SMC and potentially a Duc streetfighter if I can find a decently priced used one.

Of the two front runners I think the Duke would be a bit more fun than the SMT. It addresses my main concerns about the 625 SMC - a gallon more fuel in the tank and significantly better fuel econ lead to a useable range, the 690 lump has (from what I understand) WAY less vibration than the version of LC4 in the 625, and the 6spd trans leads to more reasonable revs on the highway. The exhaust configuration makes rear luggage an option as well. Basically, it improves on all the fun aspects of the 625 with an rear end kicker of an engine and outstanding brakes while being ever so slightly more practical. Still a viable trackday bike too!

The SMT on the other hand seems like the perfect all around bike. All day comfortable with the range to match (5gal tank!!), wind protection, great ergos, standard luggage, pretty stonkin engine, etc etc... I've never seen one in person and don't know anyone that's owned one or even ridden one, but every review I've read echos my initial impression - crazy good fun and one of the best all around bikes they've ridden. That sets the goddamn bar pretty high.

So... thoughts? Go with the more agile and sporty Duke or the more practical all day SMT? Brush up on my barista wooing skills and stock up on hair gel and go Duc? Stick with the SMC and get the 690, which kicks the rear end of my 625 SMC in every way?

So many choices :ohdear:

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Saga posted:

"If you absolutely must have a naked bike, an adult-owned Yamaha Diversion (Seca II?) or even a Suzuki GS500 will be so much more likely to get you to your destination. "

The former came in a pure "naked" flavour, but I think all or most American XJ600s have a half fairing. It's a simple, reliable, fuel-efficient air-cooled four making not a lot of power that can be fixed with hammers if something goes wrong. Slightly prone to rusting in places due to a steel cradle frame (check the frame behind the pegs and around the swingarm pivot for rust).

The GS500 has a lot more fans in the US than in the UK (to judge by these forums), where it would be way, way down the order in the budget Japanese naked bike stakes, but if you want a pure naked bike it's an option and should be fairly readily available.

Ah, yea sorry, when I looked at them they still looked sport-like to me. I guess in my head I picture a standard looking more like a cruiser, or one of the older UJMs. I don't see many Seca 2's in my area at all, but a lot of GS500s, so that might be an option.

Also I was thinking I could change my commute to avoid highway to make getting a non-fairing bike more agreeable. Or maybe install a windshield on a non-fairing bike. Honestly I have no loving idea what I'm doing.

Also, a couple months ago, there was a guy around here who had created a website where you could see how you would sit on a bunch of different bikes based on your height and whatnot. Anyone got a link to that? I think it would be pretty helpful in seeing what kind of bike I would want.

Edit: VVVV Thanks!

After looking at that site, I might have to take a closer look at the Ninjas and the SV650s. I always thought you had to lean a lot further forward than it's indicating on there.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 23, 2011

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Zubumafoo posted:

Also, a couple months ago, there was a guy around here who had created a website where you could see how you would sit on a bunch of different bikes based on your height and whatnot. Anyone got a link to that? I think it would be pretty helpful in seeing what kind of bike I would want.

http://cycle-ergo.com/

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Endless Mike posted:

Any opinions on the F800GS? I think once I sell the VFR, the DRZ may need to be replaced with something with a bit more power and comfort but I like the riding position.

FWIW, everyone that I know that's bought one and driven it for any sort of respectable distance has been really upset with it. Services and parts are high even by BMW standards, and the weight make it more than a handfull off road. The stock rims are really really soft.

On the other hand while parts can be a little pricey I've never met anyone who rode a 950 Adv or SE for a long time has been really happy with it. The 950s I've ridden have been more stable at higher speeds than the BMW on improved dirt roads and gravel, and felt much more powerful. If I was looking to drop 8-10K on a high power dual sport I'd go KTM. The only exception would be if you were looking for a primary street bike, then the newer F650 GS could be a good option, comfort, with some ground clearance.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
^^^
e: I have a buddy who had an Adventure, got knocked off it and promptly bought a new one. He loves it and does a lot of miles, including some gentle dirt.

Definitely nothing sporty about the Yamaha. The fairing is to keep the wind off and lower drag for relaxed cruising at middling speeds. Yes, you can absolutely stick windscreens on (most) naked bikes, but they don't tend to help much with hands or lower body, and the riding position on a naked bike isn't designed to tuck you in behind a screen.

If you're going to commute, ride any distances and/or do any highway miles, something with a fairing, while not necessary in any way, just makes life much easier.

Note that the Ninja 500, despite the admittedly confusing name, is not really a sportsbike in any modern understanding of the term. It's petite, comfy and you sit slightly forward behind a dinky little screen. Gets 50-60mpg.

Zubumafoo posted:

Ah, yea sorry, when I looked at them they still looked sport-like to me. I guess in my head I picture a standard looking more like a cruiser, or one of the older UJMs. I don't see many Seca 2's in my area at all, but a lot of GS500s, so that might be an option.

Also I was thinking I could change my commute to avoid highway to make getting a non-fairing bike more agreeable. Or maybe install a windshield on a non-fairing bike. Honestly I have no loving idea what I'm doing.

Edit: VVVV Thanks!

After looking at that site, I might have to take a closer look at the Ninjas and the SV650s. I always thought you had to lean a lot further forward than it's indicating on there.

Saga fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 23, 2011

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
What about Bandits? They are only bikini faired and can go naked without much fuss at all. Good standard bike as far as I can tell.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

slidebite posted:

ABS/Traction control 2010 Concours v/s 2007 ABS FJR

Get the Connie.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PlasticSun posted:

FWIW, everyone that I know that's bought one and driven it for any sort of respectable distance has been really upset with it. Services and parts are high even by BMW standards, and the weight make it more than a handfull off road. The stock rims are really really soft.

On the other hand while parts can be a little pricey I've never met anyone who rode a 950 Adv or SE for a long time has been really happy with it. The 950s I've ridden have been more stable at higher speeds than the BMW on improved dirt roads and gravel, and felt much more powerful. If I was looking to drop 8-10K on a high power dual sport I'd go KTM. The only exception would be if you were looking for a primary street bike, then the newer F650 GS could be a good option, comfort, with some ground clearance.
I'm mostly looking for something primarily for street riding and long-distance touring. The VFR is heavier than I like for city riding and the DRZ is not good for distance.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Endless Mike posted:

I'm mostly looking for something primarily for street riding and long-distance touring. The VFR is heavier than I like for city riding and the DRZ is not good for distance.

You'd probally really like the F650 GS, good gas milage and better wheel sizes for the street, cheaper too. Keep in mind though that the VFR is only 40 lbs heavier than the F800.

You also might want to look at the multistrada 1100, those can be found for fairly good prices and for street riding are really nice.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Raven457 posted:

Get the Connie.

Agreed. Made an offer on it. We'll see how it goes. :ohdear:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

needknees posted:

I've got the new bike itch, bad :saddowns:

I absolutely freakin love my 625 SMC but it just has too many shortcomings to keep around as my main bike. It's great around town but the lack of range due to a small tank and pretty crappy fuel econ, hellacious vibes, and stupid short gearing make for a piss poor distance mount. Considering I have to ride ~200 miles in any direction to get to interesting terrain this just doesn't work very well.

As such, I'm looking for something a little different to replace it with... Right now the front runners are the 690 Duke and a bike I didn't realize existed till yesterday, the 990 SMT. Other possibilities are the 690 SMC and potentially a Duc streetfighter if I can find a decently priced used one.

Of the two front runners I think the Duke would be a bit more fun than the SMT. It addresses my main concerns about the 625 SMC - a gallon more fuel in the tank and significantly better fuel econ lead to a useable range, the 690 lump has (from what I understand) WAY less vibration than the version of LC4 in the 625, and the 6spd trans leads to more reasonable revs on the highway. The exhaust configuration makes rear luggage an option as well. Basically, it improves on all the fun aspects of the 625 with an rear end kicker of an engine and outstanding brakes while being ever so slightly more practical. Still a viable trackday bike too!

The SMT on the other hand seems like the perfect all around bike. All day comfortable with the range to match (5gal tank!!), wind protection, great ergos, standard luggage, pretty stonkin engine, etc etc... I've never seen one in person and don't know anyone that's owned one or even ridden one, but every review I've read echos my initial impression - crazy good fun and one of the best all around bikes they've ridden. That sets the goddamn bar pretty high.

So... thoughts? Go with the more agile and sporty Duke or the more practical all day SMT? Brush up on my barista wooing skills and stock up on hair gel and go Duc? Stick with the SMC and get the 690, which kicks the rear end of my 625 SMC in every way?

So many choices :ohdear:

Are you going to keep the 625? If so, buy the SMT. Ridden one, loved it. So nimble and for a bike that size you can take the piss something shocking in the corners.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Are you going to keep the 625? If so, buy the SMT. Ridden one, loved it. So nimble and for a bike that size you can take the piss something shocking in the corners.

Agreed. Borrowed one for a day last year and it was all kinds of rad. Not as good as my 690 for everyday short-distance hooning but if you wanted to ride longer distances in search of twisties or even just have a fun medium to long distance commuter I honestly don't think you could do much better.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Endless Mike posted:

If you like the upright position one of the Japanese modern standards would work well. SV650/599/FZ6/etc.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Can anybody tell me anything about the Aprilia Futura sport tourer? I am kind of in love with v-twin torque so this model seems like a pretty attractive replacement for my Vstar.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/mcy/2560060877.html

Custom paint = damaged plastics, right? What sort of problem-free mileage can you expect from one of these? Is 27k high for this model? There are two on CL for the same price with similar miles, I assume both are due for serious maintenance and have marked titles.

Also, VFR800 seems like a similar ride, with a relatively negligible lack of power, but a lot less torque. These seem pretty bulletproof, no?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

clutchpuck posted:

What sort of problem-free mileage can you expect from one of these? Is 27k high for this model? There are two on CL for the same price with similar miles, I assume both are due for serious maintenance and have marked titles.

Mechanically, solid. Electrically, not so much. That's not a "hurrr italian bike bad electrics", it's the Futura.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Futuras use the same engine that aprilia has used in every other bike of theirs from roughly 00 to 08. As 2ndclasscitizen says, mechanically they're fine. Electrically, they've got some niggles, but all of them are generally manageable. It's past the days of wiring harness fires, and more of a "why does my gauge cluster reset to KM when the battery gets low?".

I've always really wanted one of those. I've seen a few in the 80-120k miles range so I'd check out af1 forums for any common issues and go take a test ride.

BaronW
Apr 16, 2007

Why yes, I HAVE seen uhaul.jpg
Hi again, I'm still looking for a first bike. There's someone selling a 2007 Ninja 500R for $2250. "It has been down once about 10,000 miles ago, but was professionally repaired and you would never know it from riding. 25k miles regularly serviced. Most of the miles are freeway."

Is this a good deal? Is the Ninja 500 a particularly reliable bike? What kind of maintenance would be coming up?

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
If it hasn't had a valve check that's due, plus most likely a new chain and sprocket. How are the tires on it? Have you seen this bike in person?

EDIT: If it's been professionally serviced make sure the PO includes the service records or the address of the place so you can pick them up yourself. That would give you a better idea of what it's gone through.

EDIT2: If you have a friend that rides with more experience than yourself try to convince the seller to let them test ride it and have them report back to you with what felt funny/wrong.

BaKESAL3 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 27, 2011

BaronW
Apr 16, 2007

Why yes, I HAVE seen uhaul.jpg

Probably Hates You posted:

If it hasn't had a valve check that's due, plus most likely a new chain and sprocket. How are the tires on it? Have you seen this bike in person?

EDIT: If it's been professionally serviced make sure the PO includes the service records or the address of the place so you can pick them up yourself. That would give you a better idea of what it's gone through.

EDIT2: If you have a friend that rides with more experience than yourself try to convince the seller to let them test ride it and have them report back to you with what felt funny/wrong.

Thanks a ton. I've asked the seller about records. I havne't seen it in person yet but my friend is coming with to test ride and possibly bring it back to my house.

edit, here's his response:

Craigslist posted:

I just had a comprssion test done which showed 190psi in the right cylinder and 195psi in the left (that could be backwards, I have the test results in garage). Those numbers are excellent, but you can have them verified independently of course. As for the chain and (rear) sprocket I had both changed a little over a year ago, so they should be good for at least another 10,000 miles. The tires I would have to check on, but the tread is not worn so I would not foresee any problems for about the same length of time. The bike is actually my fathers, I don't think he has many of the maintenance records but I would bet my life on the bikes durability (in fact I do every time I ride it!) That being said I would understand if you want to have it taken to a mechanic, I just had that done last week and they said the bike was in great shape, but I want you to be comfortable with the motorcycle.

BaronW fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 27, 2011

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
Getting the bike checked out by your mechanic is never a bad idea but in this case probably a bit unnecessary. I don't know enough about bikes and engines to know what different compressions mean so someone else will have to comment on that but see if you can't get him to show you those test results in his garage for verification, that should be enough.

That being said I've only owned 3 bikes,(and only bought one privately) so you might want to wait to make your move untill someone else on this forum who knows a bit more about bikes can tell you what else to look out for. With that being said it looks like the guy's done everything to make sure there aren't any problems so you're probably in the green. I'd still advise you having a friend that rides take it for a test drive(he'll probably need cash in hard for this) just to be safe.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
If your friend knows what to look for, and those compression numbers are indeed true, then you've got nothing to worry about. Ninja 500s are reliable as hell. Check all the standard consumables, and if it's in good shape and looks like it's been taken care of, then it would be a good purchase.

Here's a maintenance schedule: http://www.ex-500.com/wiki/index.php/Maintenance_Schedule

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Futuras I think can have issues w/ their gauges that are outside of the typical Aprilia gauge reset issue that happens with a weak battery. Futuras don't use the standard gauge cluster and so they can be more difficult to source if you have problems. How common this issue is I really don't know. Someone posted a Futura a while back and it had a gauge problem, I remember looking on the apriliaforum site and seeing a few mentions of people having some issues with them.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101931
Here is a thread on fixing it. Frankly it doesn't appear to be all that common.

I would guess though that at 27k if it was going to have those sorts of issues, they would have already happened. I think the $3900 one is a decent enough deal especially considering the seat and the hardbags. Aprilias don't really require much in the way of maintenance. Every 10k is a recommended valve check, but the guy mentions he just had it serviced, and Aprilias valves tend to not move much at all.

It is probably very close to the 5th gen VFR for handling/weight, but with a motor that is a bit more fun. I've owned 2 5th gen VFRs and now own a Falco, which is the sportier in between model that isn't a Mille but isn't a Futura. I would guess the Futura would be a bit more fun to ride than the VFR, especially more fun that a 6th gen. In my opinion the best gen of VFR to get is probably the 4th because it was a bit lighter and didn't have the crummy gen 1 FI that the 5th has.

Given the additional weight of the Futura I would wonder how much better the handling dynamics are vs. the VFR. I feel the Falco was definitely a step up in handling/fun factor, but the tradeoff was a more aggressive riding position - even with heli bars and Buell footpegs. The best you can hope for off the shelf for a Falco is a givi tail bag - no hard saddlebags are available without fabrication.

If you ever happen to make it over to Wenatchee you'd be free to give my Falco a shot and see what you think.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
What does Cycle Asylum think of the Tuono?

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378953

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

infraboy posted:

I think you should buy it.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I think you should buy it.

I agree with this fine gentleman with obvious good taste in bikes.

You should ring up that chap and converse with regards to the purchase of the motorized bicycle, and hopefully you will have great success.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Odette posted:

I agree with this fine gentleman with obvious good taste in bikes.

You should ring up that chap and converse with regards to the purchase of the motorized bicycle, and hopefully you will have great success.

This recommendation does not have enough :monocle:

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

infraboy posted:

Just bought an '04.

Features an engine that kicks like a mule at pretty much any RPM, a full-fat RSV Mille chassis, a half fairing, third gear no-clutch power wheelies. Also features a slipper clutch and airplane stlye dual MFDs with lap times, 10 zillion modes etc.

Some bikes disappoint in the actual riding or are not what you expect, for good or for ill, but not the Tuono. It's one of those bikes that actually rides just like you think it should when you look at it/read the spec sheet. I think there's a motorcycle.com story on it with video that basically consists of carving corners and sudden, violent wheelies. That pretty much sums it up.

The stock suspension (sachs + showa forks) gets a bit of criticism, but honestly I think that's the result of people comparing it to the Factory model's full Ohlins or the stuff on the SPS bikes that the RSV Mille was originally compared to at its launch. It certainly has the measure of the 916 strada/bip equipment, and of course you have the option of digging up the Factory's shock and/or forks from e-bay if you want that "Swedish gold" feeling.

Downsides:

* Fuel consumption is supposed to be high (have yet to put actual numbers on this for mine, but supposed to be low to mid 30s), although I imagine you can ameliorate this by staying in top and not putting it under a lot of load. Being a twin, it's not naturally as flexible as a similarly-sized four.

* Eats rear tyres for breakfast (mostly being unable to resist whacking the throttle open out of every corner). 80% of the bikes I looked at had sport touring tyres on. On a 110hp+ twin with the subtlety of an enraged grizzly bear, I think the fact that people are resorting to very sedate rubber is pretty telling. Mine is on 2CTs, so I'm already looking for decent part-worn 180s.

* Rear brake basically doesn't work unless you buy rearsets that move the rear m/c. The m/c, reservoir and lines are mounted a few mm from the engine and/or exhaust pipes. The fluid gets cooked. You can bleed and replace the fluid every 500 miles or relocate the cylinder. That bike's rearsets don't appear to move the m/c, so they're pretty useless. It doesn't have low pegs anyway. In case you're wondering why people care about the rear brake working, try wheelieing one past the balance point, which is very easily done, and you will see!

* Internet consensus and magazine articles suggests it needs a better battery - as the stocker gets weak, it can cause starter sprag clutch to explode, Ducati-style, obvious stuff like non-starting and also can cause your clocks to reset, see above. Obviously worse if you have an alarm, which most UK bikes do for historical insurance-related reasons. You can simply fit a recent, decent YTX14 (or something very expensive in the stock YTX12 form factor).

* If you ride in city or heavy traffic, the hydraulic clutch is heavy. Solution is to buy an Oberon or similar aftermarket slave cylinder or do hand exercises. Finding neutral at every light not really an option (Italian bike).

* It is not a heavy bike at all, except by 2011 supersports standards, but it is long and tall. If you like your bikes Monster 696/796 tiny, it's a long way to lean off the side of the thing and the bars are wiiiide. OTOH, if you are above average height and commute, you get a very comfy riding position. I actually prefer small bikes, but with this much torque I can live with having a little more to hold on to.

* The tank has aggressive cutouts (to keep you locked in for safer wheelies - no, really) that feel like 90 degree angles. If you are very tall, check that your legs will fit them.

Other than the seat, which will be comfy, that particular bike (IMO) seems like it's had a lot of crap thrown at it for no obvious reason. There are a number of common things to change, starting with the boat anchor exhaust, but no so much levers or weird mirrors or overlander lights. Maybe it's a SF thing?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Wow, that Tuono looks great.

Sega, did i miss a gallery of your steed, or have you not posted them?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Well I PM'ed the guy so we shall see, it'd be nice to have an Italian in the stable so we can plan the next invasion.

I love the fact it's just an Aprilia Mille that isn't detuned, just a little bit less fairing and a 1 piece handlebar. The Rotax engine is always regarded as bulletproof in every review. I have a BMW K1200rs so i'm not worried about riding a heavy bike.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

infraboy posted:

Buy that, a Duck, and an Aprilia at the same time.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

infraboy posted:

Well I PM'ed the guy so we shall see, it'd be nice to have an Italian in the stable so we can plan the next invasion.

I love the fact it's just an Aprilia Mille that isn't detuned, just a little bit less fairing and a 1 piece handlebar. The Rotax engine is always regarded as bulletproof in every review. I have a BMW K1200rs so i'm not worried about riding a heavy bike.

It's not heavy though...187 kg before you ditch the enormous steel can, so 183 with pretty much anything aftermarket. It's just long with a highish c of g.

First go at my regular high speed commute today, still getting used to the bike. On the strength of this, I'm revising my description: it's like someone has taken a single-seater chassis, shoe-horned a highly tuned 3.9l V8 into it and then slapped a barcalounger on top. I would do a photoshop but I'm NOT an IT guy.

Also, it's not as tough to get off the bike as I thought it would be just cruising around over the weekend. Once you get your rear end off the seat, you can get your body off the bike very easily - probably the relatively skinny V twin thing. And it turns in perfectly - quickly, accurately with lots of feedback. The huge fatbar lookalike thing mean you need nearly no bar pressure, and yet you can't really upset it.

Back brake still doesn't work well though. Going to go hang something heavy off the pedal overnight.

I guess if the BARF bike is cheap and in good condition, you could sell all the stuff that's on it and then buy whatever suits you.

Mcqueen, no pictures yet as I haven't had time to really clean it up. Eventually I'll stick something up in the appropriate thread. Looks like a red Tuono with an Akra titanium end can though!

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I've been lusting over this for a couple days now.

http://pnwriders.com/motorcycles/157139-07-5-aprilia-tuono-akras-more.html

She's even got a ventura rack so I can use my gear on it. :swoon:

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Mcqueen posted:

I've been lusting over this for a couple days now.

http://pnwriders.com/motorcycles/157139-07-5-aprilia-tuono-akras-more.html

She's even got a ventura rack so I can use my gear on it. :swoon:

That seems to be a pretty good price from what I've seen... If it was 4-5 months from now, and closer to Texas I'd all over that.

LarryCsonka
Nov 7, 2006
Oooh, I don't go map-finding-behinding
I am looking for my first bike, and a someone is selling a 1989 Honda Hawk locally.

I checked it out today and it is in amazing condition, everything stock, just about everything replaced recently (chain, tires, brakes etc). It has 15,000 miles.

He agreed to $2000, which would also include delivery. The bike itself it flawless, and it started right up, I am wondering more about the price, which seems fair to me. I told him I would make a decision in a day or so.

LarryCsonka fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 31, 2011

Queers And Fears
Apr 30, 2006
Look out for Ole Miss in 06!
Possibly checking out this bike on Sunday for my first one: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/2566707867.html

I've exchanged e-mails with the guy and he is firm on 2500. He only dropped it which left a ding in the gas tank and has since installed frame sliders. He has all the maintenance records and recently had the oil changed, new tires and brakes. Thoughts?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Did he have the valves done at 24k? If so, then that's an OK price, I'd probably still show up with 2200 in hand and see if he goes for it.

Queers And Fears
Apr 30, 2006
Look out for Ole Miss in 06!

Z3n posted:

Did he have the valves done at 24k? If so, then that's an OK price, I'd probably still show up with 2200 in hand and see if he goes for it.
I'm not sure, I'll make to ask. He definitely won't go for 2200 though unfortunately because he said to show up with 2500 in cash.

Thanks for the input Z3n.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

MaC_DaDDy posted:

He definitely won't go for 2200 though unfortunately because he said to show up with 2500 in cash.

You'd be surprised how easy it is to change someones mind when you have a fist full of 100s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Greetings goons, I too have a few questions on a first purchase. I live in the NOVA / Richmond area (VA) and so far the price of bikes in my area seems very high.(as in 4,400 for a used 2007 ninja 250 with 20,000 miles, or ATV's / dirtbikes that I cant drive on the road.) I came across this used 1995 for only $700.

http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/2567250205.html

I contacted her about what was wrong with it and this was her reply.

Not sure what's wrong with it, it sounds like it wants to start but won't turn all the way over, it needs new tires, mirror's and gas cap, and I believe the tank is rusted. So it needs work but overall I know it wont be too expensive to fix it. It has a little over 12,000 miles on it, I don't think it has been inspected since 2002.

Now obviously the tires / mirrors / gas cap I can easily do by myself, but the engine not turning over worries me. Is something like this worth investing into, would it be better if I just continued looking for a used ninja for around 1-1,200?? I would obviously have to take it to a mechanic shop as I have absolutely no experience working on cars / motorcycles.

Any advice and help is much appreciated.

Edit 2: I was searching more and found this:

http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/2551520096.html

The cracked fairings and I dont care about as it will be my first bike, But as stated in the above paragraphs, the knocking worries me. Without ever seeing the bike, would it be an easy fix?

Edit: spelling.

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 2, 2011