Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Unless it's really loud, it's nothing unusual. My NB did it practically from day one at 42k miles and currently is closing in on 110k. My MS3 does it, and my Ranger does it.

It's not very loud at all, probably mostly my paranoia of something being broken. I'll try to grease the pushrod as Meltie suggested once it's not dark outside and I'm not too lazy. Also, that's a ridiculous deal on the two Miatas for 2 grand, congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

mobby_6kl posted:

It's not very loud at all, probably mostly my paranoia of something being broken. I'll try to grease the pushrod as Meltie suggested once it's not dark outside and I'm not too lazy. Also, that's a ridiculous deal on the two Miatas for 2 grand, congrats!

http://www.miata.net/garage/tsb/s003_95.html :)

Look/feel around, you'll find it under there somewhere. Easiest fix ever.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

ursa_minor posted:

You're in the Bay Area, right?
I'm thinking about putting the lower mileage engine in my car, but I might need help doing it, so if you'd be down to help me I'd just give you the engine out of my current car.

At least do a compression check before you toss out your current engine. It may be just fine as is.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

DreamOn13 posted:

At least do a compression check before you toss out your current engine. It may be just fine as is.

Oh definitely, the lower mileage engine could easily be much more worn.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

ursa_minor posted:

You're in the Bay Area, right?
I'm thinking about putting the lower mileage engine in my car, but I might need help doing it, so if you'd be down to help me I'd just give you the engine out of my current car. Ha, and then give you the wrecked Miata if you wanted that as well, as long I was able to pull some parts that I think I might need off it. Pay it forward, bro!

I'm down in San Luis Obispo, but for the stupid money people want for crappy old NA 1.6Ls, I'd definitely help you swap in trade for the higher-mileage one. I don't know if I could take the parts Miata, but I could just swap the engine to that and drive it home :v:

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

DJ Commie posted:

I don't know if I could take the parts Miata, but I could just swap the engine to that and drive it home :v:

This is seriously one of the most AI comments I've ever heard here.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Yay, new tires (s drives) and a good wheel balance later, my car rides nice and smooth, with no more "65mph shimmy", or as I'll call it, wheels out of balance.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

oRenj9 posted:

This is seriously one of the most AI comments I've ever heard here.

Swapping out an engine is hella easy. There's not really any gotchas involved.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
If anyone wants a 90-93 MSPNP that's been installed for 3 weeks, let me know. $550 shipped, comes with original box/etc, along with GM AIT and vacuum hose.

in advance: Phone, I know, I know.

edit:

destructo fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 2, 2011

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

destructo posted:

If anyone wants a 90-93 MSPNP that's been installed for 3 weeks, let me know. $550 shipped, comes with original box/etc, along with GM AIT and vacuum hose.

in advance: Phone, I know, I know.

edit:

That is really cool

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Nodoze posted:

That is really cool

$100 for the group buy now, it's stupid cheap compared to AWD stuff.

http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=50369

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Woohoo CEL came on yesterday. Seems to be running fine, no change in fuel economy, no hesitation, etc. I've noticed a bit of idle drop when pulling up to lights and whatnot, so I'm willing to bet on a P0402 - EGR issues. But, its an excuse to buy a code reader (nowhere will read it for free up in cannuck land). I know what I'm doing this weekend! :D

E: P0402. Shouldn't be hard.

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 3, 2011

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Took my first cross country Top down drive from San Antonio to Dallas. Low/mid 80s all the way. I'm thinking I made a really good decision with this car. I am going to need some better sunblock though.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Starting to look at winter tires, and had a few questions - mainly, will 14" steelies fit on an NB?

I'm hoping to go with General Altimax Arctic in 185/65-14, as they're pretty cheap, and there really doesn't seem to be much available in the 185/60-14 range. These will be 3.5% too slow in terms of spedo v actual speed, but thats fine. Anyone know if I'll have any clearance issues with the slightly taller tires?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

TrueChaos posted:

Starting to look at winter tires, and had a few questions - mainly, will 14" steelies fit on an NB?

I'm hoping to go with General Altimax Arctic in 185/65-14, as they're pretty cheap, and there really doesn't seem to be much available in the 185/60-14 range. These will be 3.5% too slow in terms of spedo v actual speed, but thats fine. Anyone know if I'll have any clearance issues with the slightly taller tires?

You'll be fine as long as they clear the brakes. Later NBs have bigger brakes... Early NB? Think the brakes are pretty much the same size from 94-01 so any NA based steelies would work fine.

Tall tires on a 14 should cause no problems, it'll should still be no bigger than typical tires on a 15/16 which the NB can handle fine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I ran 195/60R14s on my '99 for years, never had any clearance problems.

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

The hankook w409's come in 185/65/14 at 69 a piece over at discount tire direct, they work pretty well, not the best winter tire ever, but they do quite well in indiana snow/slush/ice for me on my miata.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
Does anyone know where I can get these (or similar) turn signals?

http://i.imgur.com/1LB61.jpg

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Grayham posted:

Does anyone know where I can get these (or similar) turn signals?

http://i.imgur.com/1LB61.jpg
Those are just the stock ones polished and tinted, I did that to mine last year.

http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/niteshades/

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

Suniikaa posted:

Those are just the stock ones polished and tinted, I did that to mine last year.

How much does it reduce the brightness of the turn signals?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Grayham posted:

..like you're going to survive being t-boned. :jerkbag:

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Grayham posted:

Not much but that all depends on the bulbs you use and how much you tint the lenses.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Hah it's pretty much best to always assume that no one can see your car whatsoever, let alone your turn signals, when you drive anything small.

I've avoided too many accidents to count by just guessing that I can't be seen and letting the other driver get out o fthe way first.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Suniikaa posted:

Those are actually eBay parts. Fairly good quality comparable to stockers IIRC.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
Picked up a hardtop today for $800 off Craigslist. The interior is in perfect condition. The exterior isn't great but I think I can buff out most of the oxidation.

Do I really need the latches next to the seat belts? It seems to be fine without them. I'll have to cut the trim to install them.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
You don't need to, but it's worth it for noise and peace of mind.

Chickenbisket
Apr 27, 2006
The guy I bought my hardtop from never had them and didn't have any problems. I rode around with the hardtop for a few weeks without side latches but found some for $20 on Ebay. Wasn't much of a difference in noise or anything but the peace of mind was worth it.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
You don't need em unless you plan on rolling the car. If you roll it the hardtop disappears without them.

Was on VIR did a session lead/follow with my instructor. It's pretty crazy how much harder a 1.8L VVT motor pulls compared to the 1.6L. I was at about 1/2-3/4 throttle down the straights. (Both NAs, and should be fairly similar in weight as well)

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

The love child of the FD and the NB.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Piano posted:

:love:

Be still my beating heart.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
My passenger interior door handle doesn't work, I think the mechanism has broken some where. The exterior door handle still works fine. Anyone know of any guide to fixing it or replacing it?

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Piano posted:

Pure sexiness.

This is what makes me want to do an Autokonexion hardtop or something.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Joe Mama posted:

This is what makes me want to do an Autokonexion hardtop or something.

Please dont.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Yeah, I know. I'd rather just get a stock type hardtop.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

willie_dee posted:

My passenger interior door handle doesn't work, I think the mechanism has broken some where. The exterior door handle still works fine. Anyone know of any guide to fixing it or replacing it?

Just find the instructions for replacing the window regulator and that'll get you halfway there in terms of getting the door cards off. The handle is just held on by a few screws, with the two metal rods on it that connect to the actual lock at the rear of the door. It's easy to get the handle on/off, not sure how those rods attach but it should be easy to figure out once you see it.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Piano posted:

Goddamnit, every time I see an NB coupe I get a little angry at Mazda for never making it a large production run vehicle, and for never selling them in the US. Such a good looking car.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
Anyone have a defroster switch and relay (that'll work for a '95) that they want to sell?

Lusso
Jul 1, 2003

Piano posted:

Man, I want one of these so bad.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
I fashioned-up some blanking plates for where the sun visors mount. They're made of .064" aluminum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I'd love to eliminate my visors but they're almost a safety for my latches. I love my new top but the latches always seem on the verge of popping loose themselves.