Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Thanks for pointing me to the SA Chrome Extension, I'd like to test yours as well CaptainMeatpants.

dangerz posted:

I built this prototype last week to test a game idea: http://www.dangerz.net/explorer (view>source on it for more info, works best in chrome)

After liking what I had, I started coding in XNA. Here are some early screenshots:
:words:

That's very nice, great job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

posting smiling
Jun 22, 2008
I'm working on a pixel art program in Python/Qt partly to learn PyQt and partly because I want one that works the way I want it to :argh:. I've got the basic tool functionality implemented, now I'm going to work on proper document handling, then layers and animation!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009
I'm working on a tool that would help people find available domain names. You feed it a list of words, and a list of TLDs, and it looks up every variation, like word1.com, word1.net, word2.com, word2.net, etc.

PresidentCamacho
Sep 9, 2009
:feelsgood:

PresidentCamacho fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 13, 2012

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

http://xerol.org/city/

Just an isometric tile engine for now, got some issues to figure out before I can go on, namely how to select based on visible parts of an image and not the rectangular hull including the transparent parts. This is most obvious if you try to drag from the lower-left inside the bounding box of the UI mockup.

ShaunO
Jan 29, 2006

Roflex posted:

http://xerol.org/city/

Just an isometric tile engine for now, got some issues to figure out before I can go on, namely how to select based on visible parts of an image and not the rectangular hull including the transparent parts. This is most obvious if you try to drag from the lower-left inside the bounding box of the UI mockup.

Have you considered using Canvas and drawing your graphics rather than lots of DOM elements? I was messing around with it the other week and came up with this: http://184.105.203.67/canvas.html - was going to rewrite it in framework style but haven't had the debate with myself yet whether to redraw every frame or to keep a map of the grid and manipulate it by redrawing layers over each other etc. Not my area of expertise but fun to play around with none the less.
My current gridded concept is a little hacky, basically just a grid (which you view if you plug drawGrid($("canvas").getContext("2d")); into the console) and keeping track of what is stored at each location. I don't find this to be accurate/smooth enough though, so more work/resolution will go into it when I can be bothered.

ShaunO fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 22, 2011

PresidentCamacho
Sep 9, 2009
:feelsgood:

PresidentCamacho fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 13, 2012

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that
Made a gameplay video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcO321CmKb4

I need to add some bad guys now and some different block types.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

MachinTrucChose posted:

I'm working on a tool that would help people find available domain names. You feed it a list of words, and a list of TLDs, and it looks up every variation, like word1.com, word1.net, word2.com, word2.net, etc.

Whilst it would be rather difficult to replicate names on sale or recently expired names you could investigate using a thesaurus like NetSol:

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

dangerz posted:

The asteroids are procedurally generated (similar to how I create the world in my minecraft clone). I'm thinking some kind of survival + puzzle game. I have a lot of ideas in mind for this one. I posted a lot more screenshots and info at http://dangerz.blogspot.com if anyone is interested.

Anyway, it's a fun thing to work on. I'm putting my Minecraft clone to the side temporarily while I do this.

Sup, procedurally generated asteroid mining game buddy! :hfive:

A couple of months ago your minecraft-ish project inspired me to try making a procedurally generated world - I spent about two nights coding up a terrible engine before getting distracted and wandering off to another project. Then when the SA GameDev contest came around this year I decided to pick up the idea again and made a game with 3D generated asteroids and fully destructible geometry. The critic's consensus could be summed up as 'lovely game, but cool tech'. Hopefully your project fares better.

Mid-project build showing off the basic features:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQBRtkF10Tc

Video from near the end, most art assets in place:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXyW9QIAukQ

The world-building algorithm was kind of fun and all done in C#/XNA. The general steps were

1) Make a 3D array of Perlin noise. This can be done quickly if you calculate each Perlin octave in parallel and sum the results at the end.

2) Apply a shaping function that trims the cubic 3D noise array to a round shape by zeroing out values further than X units from the center to get a round surface. I also opened up the cave system a bit by trimming array values that were near-ish to the center.

3) Divide the world into chuncks, and use marching cubes to turn any values of the Perlin noise that were greater than some threshold solid. Compress the resulting polygon soup into a set of indexed meshes and send them to the GPU as vertex buffers.

4) Physics was a weird thing to implement - the world is just a pile of Perlin noise and doesn't 'exist' in the traditional sense. Instead, small bits of the geometry close to the player are re-generated each frame from marching cubes without the mesh compression and the player model interacts with those local values.

5) Terrain destruction is amazingly easy with this engine - throwing a grenade just lowers the value of the Perlin noise in some spherical volume around the impact point, then the mesh gets re-built on a background thread and set to the GPU when it's ready. After spending several days doing the physics/collision stuff this went together in about 20 minutes.

All in all it was a fun learning project and I think the engine has some legs to it even if the 'game' part was pretty weak. Once summer activities die down a bit I'd like to revisit it and see if it can't be tweaked into something more fun than a tech demo.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that

PDP-1 posted:

A couple of months ago your minecraft-ish project inspired me to try making a procedurally generated world - I spent about two nights coding up a terrible engine before getting distracted and wandering off to another project. Then when the SA GameDev contest came around this year I decided to pick up the idea again and made a game with 3D generated asteroids and fully destructible geometry. The critic's consensus could be summed up as 'lovely game, but cool tech'. Hopefully your project fares better.

Mid-project build showing off the basic features:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQBRtkF10Tc

Video from near the end, most art assets in place:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXyW9QIAukQ

The world-building algorithm was kind of fun and all done in C#/XNA. The general steps were

1) Make a 3D array of Perlin noise. This can be done quickly if you calculate each Perlin octave in parallel and sum the results at the end.

2) Apply a shaping function that trims the cubic 3D noise array to a round shape by zeroing out values further than X units from the center to get a round surface. I also opened up the cave system a bit by trimming array values that were near-ish to the center.

3) Divide the world into chuncks, and use marching cubes to turn any values of the Perlin noise that were greater than some threshold solid. Compress the resulting polygon soup into a set of indexed meshes and send them to the GPU as vertex buffers.

4) Physics was a weird thing to implement - the world is just a pile of Perlin noise and doesn't 'exist' in the traditional sense. Instead, small bits of the geometry close to the player are re-generated each frame from marching cubes without the mesh compression and the player model interacts with those local values.

5) Terrain destruction is amazingly easy with this engine - throwing a grenade just lowers the value of the Perlin noise in some spherical volume around the impact point, then the mesh gets re-built on a background thread and set to the GPU when it's ready. After spending several days doing the physics/collision stuff this went together in about 20 minutes.

All in all it was a fun learning project and I think the engine has some legs to it even if the 'game' part was pretty weak. Once summer activities die down a bit I'd like to revisit it and see if it can't be tweaked into something more fun than a tech demo.
Dude this is awesome, you should continue with it. I might've missed it in the videos but can you travel from asteroid to asteroid? Is each asteroid its own chunk or can asteroids span multiple chunks? I decided not to use chunks in my current 2d game since I'm not generating that much data.

You already have the tech done. You just have to finish the game now.

iam
Aug 5, 2011

PDP-1 posted:

:words:

That's quality! Good work

What won the contest if they consider that a lovely game?

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

iam posted:

Voting hasn't finished yet, but you can see the top games. Gameplay was featured heavily and the asteroid game wasn't as fun to play as the top ten it seems.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

dangerz posted:

Dude this is awesome, you should continue with it. I might've missed it in the videos but can you travel from asteroid to asteroid? Is each asteroid its own chunk or can asteroids span multiple chunks? I decided not to use chunks in my current 2d game since I'm not generating that much data.

You already have the tech done. You just have to finish the game now.

The asteroid is represented as a single 3D array of floating point values, so there is only one at a time right now. However, the generation is based on a random seed so there are about 2^32 possible worlds that take 3-4 seconds to generate each. If you don't mind a loading screen you could hop around I suppose - the same world seed will return the same asteroid structure each time.

I'm not sure if it's the same definition of 'chunk' that you use, but the 3D array is conceptually split into a set of blocks of about 16 units per side. All solid points within a block are connected together as one indexed mesh and that mesh is either drawn or not drawn depending on if part of the block intersects the view frustum.

I do hope to continue on with the engine, but likely will swap to a very different gameplay idea. Like you say, the tech is done and most of the major problems are solved, so it'd be a pity to give up on it now.

iam posted:

The voting isn't over yet but the winner will be someone who made an actually fun game instead of a programming tech demo like mine turned out to be. There are a lot of good entries this year, Soul Tax ended up getting my vote.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

Back to this stuff again so my advisor doesn't murder me. I finally got the code working on windows which should be a simple task as it's java, but no. Next step is updating it to use the latest jogl and then trying to get the "flattening" (more like unrolling) a bit better. May need to upgrade my machine to keep working on this from home. It eats CPU and RAM like candy.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
clockwork automaton: Neato. What sort of data are you visualizing?

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

Internet Janitor posted:

clockwork automaton: Neato. What sort of data are you visualizing?

It's a 3D scan of a tree and the attempt is to create a "fingerprint" of the bark for tree identification. Sadly, my advisor has only given me one hi-res scan to work with so I don't know how well this code will work with other trunk shapes.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
It is buggy and incomplete, but what the hell-
This weekend I took a crack at implementing a classic-style FORTRAN compiler for my toy VM, Mako.

It's not much to look at, but 'Fivetran' can successfully compile trivial programs in the most ungodly syntax invented prior to BNF. You can (try to) format your code nicely if you want:

code:
C
C	Calculate the first 20 terms of the
C   Fibonacci sequence and print them to stdout.
C
	ia = 1
	ib = 1
	print ia
	print ib
	do 10 k = 1, 18, 1
	ic = ia + ib
	ia = ib
	ib = ic
10	print ic
	stop
Or you can just say gently caress it and mash everything together like you're about to run out of punchcards:
code:
ia=1
ib=1
printia
printib
do10k=1,18,1
ic=ia+ib
ia=ib
ib=ic
10printic
stop
Next weekend? I'm writing ALGOL-60.

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

In the event that you make sense, I will still send you to the 7th circle.
Project I'm working on to learn Python. Just a space shooter with power-ups and all that jazz.

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

<== Monsterland now sports a hybrid tile/text look and a Fallouty text window. Among other things.

monsterland fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 30, 2011

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Beelzebub posted:

Project I'm working on to learn Python. Just a space shooter with power-ups and all that jazz.

That looks pretty sweet man, is that Panda3D?

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

Winkle-Daddy posted:

That looks pretty sweet man, is that Panda3D?

Thanks! No sir it is built with pyglet and rabbyt.

Surface
May 5, 2007
<3 boomstick

Beelzebub posted:

Looks great, where did you get those graphic assets? Did you make them?

Dolex
May 5, 2001

Beelzebub posted:

looks great, is that pygame?

edit: answered above

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

Surface posted:

Looks great, where did you get those graphic assets? Did you make them?

I have a pretty heavy illustration background, so I was able to make everthing but the explosions, which were done with TimelineFX. Nifty little program for sprite effects. Would anyone here be interested in giving a compiled Windows version of the game a test run? I'm currious if the frame-rate speeds I'm able to get are consistent across different hardware.

Edit: Plug for my project's 'project page' on the new Pyglet forum.
---> http://remike.homelinux.org/pyglet/index.php?topic=8.0

Edit #2:

I've uploaded a Windows executable version of the game. It covers the first zone and three acts only, and I haven't had time to knock out the boss fight for the zone ending. As soon as I do that and test this all out in Linux, I'll release the source code as well. If it fails to load, or you hear no sound, install avbin.dll located in the 'sound driver' folder included in the zip.

http://www.zombiemariachis.com/randomstuff/omega/Omega.zip

Beelzebub fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 2, 2011

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

Beelzebub posted:

Would anyone here be interested in giving a compiled Windows version of the game a test run? I'm currious if the frame-rate speeds I'm able to get are consistent across different hardware.

I was getting very close to ~400fps for most of what I played. I kept getting killed on the asteroid belt :P

My system specs are: C2D E6750 2.66Ghz, 4GB Ram, GeForce 9800GT

It looks great and runs great too!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
When trying to run it, I get the error:

code:
Traceback <most recent call last>:
  File "omega.py", line 68, in <module>
  File "pyglet\resource.pyc", line 587, in media
  File "pyglet\media\riff.pyc", line 199, in __init__
pyglet.media.riff.WAVEFormatException: Not a WAVE file
:(

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

Biggz: Awesome that's great! Thanks for trying it! For the second act, if you use the 'magnetic shells', they will move the asteroids out of the way when they explode. Just hit 'B' twice once you get the 'advanced weapon core' and it will cycle to them.

Your Computer: Thanks for trying anyway. Line 68 is where I'm assigning the laser sound for your ship, so this error likely has something to do with avbin.dll missing from your windows/system32 or syswow64 folder, of the dll just isn't functioning for some reason.

VVVV Is avbin.dll installed correctly and everything? I guess I'll have to add some exception handling to just bypass all the sound when this error comes along. Bummer... VVVV

Beelzebub fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 3, 2011

Cryolite
Oct 2, 2006
sodium aluminum fluoride
I get the same error as Your Computer.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Beelzebub posted:

Your Computer: Thanks for trying anyway. Line 68 is where I'm assigning the laser sound for your ship, so this error likely has something to do with avbin.dll missing from your windows/system32 or syswow64 folder, of the dll just isn't functioning for some reason.

:downs: I'm an idiot. You should probably put the readme in some more obvious place than 'omega/sound driver', though!

The game works great and I get over 450 FPS using a 8800GTS 512 and Core2 Quad.

Cryolite
Oct 2, 2006
sodium aluminum fluoride
Whoops, me too. Completely overlooked the avbin.dll part. It works now.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Beelzebub posted:

Would anyone here be interested in giving a compiled Windows version of the game a test run? I'm currious if the frame-rate speeds I'm able to get are consistent across different hardware.

C2D (T6600) and ATI Mobility 4650, around 60fps. Seemed perfectly playable.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

monsterland posted:

<== Monsterland now sports a hybrid tile/text look and a Fallouty text window. Among other things.

What did you code this in?

Dolex
May 5, 2001

popped my cherry on shaders this weekend

openframeworks 007 is amazing.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

I've been goofing off with a voxel engine.

The world is unbounded. If there's no chunk at a given position, the world returns a synthetic chunk that can be used for various purposes (realtime procedural generation, savegames, Ultima VII-like template chunks), that's then turned into a mutable chunk if a modification is made. LOD, hacked together "ambient occlusion", and lots of very careful programming that makes working with things very easy.

It's designed to be repurposeable rather easily. There's a couple Voxel types that balance various needs. Like this configuration is more painterly-oriented, so there's only one material that can be applied to the voxels, so they can be 16-bit. And of course you couldn't handle this scale with most applications.

So much to do (like tools that aren't horrible), but this is a weekend project that accidentally became a weekday project, so it's going in the vault for awhile.

Edit: One idea I have is that when I implement shadow mapping when I get back to this project, I'm going to do the shadow mapping on the volumes in the vertex shader - I think I'm allowed to in XNA. This should look much better than doing it per-pixel, and I can employ all sorts of tricks to further smooth out shadows and hide artefacts, and work with crazy huge and low-resolution shadowmaps. All sorts of fun. Urgh, back to work though.

The Wizard of Oz fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 4, 2011

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

The Wizard of Oz posted:

I've been goofing off with a voxel engine.

That looks pretty awesome!

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

It's my first weekend with Unity and a really nice vector add on called RageSpline (https://www.ragespline.com if you're interested).

It's slightly more interesting in motion, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyAbKJHSsbQ

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

TJChap2840 posted:

What did you code this in?

Free Pascal and SDL(GL).

Screeb
Dec 28, 2004

A good friend of mine is programming a game (with a friend from his old university doing some art, sound, and voices) with the UDK. I haven't worked on it myself, so I hope it's ok to post, but I just wanted to share it cause it looks awesome. It's called Heaven Variant, and is a side-scrolling space shooter, currently in alpha (note: models are placeholder). Once he gets a build working I'll be able to test it :woop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epeTMdQAXDU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captain_g
Aug 24, 2007

Screeb posted:

A good friend of mine is programming a game (with a friend from his old university doing some art, sound, and voices) with the UDK. I haven't worked on it myself, so I hope it's ok to post, but I just wanted to share it cause it looks awesome. It's called Heaven Variant, and is a side-scrolling space shooter, currently in alpha (note: models are placeholder). Once he gets a build working I'll be able to test it :woop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epeTMdQAXDU

Beautiful, I hope they don't cave in and change the space suits to something else in order to please PC poofs.