Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

shodanjr_gr posted:

e: Bonus question. How often is an FRPP CAI filter supposed to be replaced? I got about 6K miles on mine after my cross country drive and I seem to recall that this is roughly their lifetime interval?

It isn't one of the washable ones? My CAI has a reusable filter that I can just use a K&N CAI recharger on (a bottle of soap and a bottle of filter oil) to get it back to as good as new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

frozenphil posted:

There aren't many cars out there that I know of that will make 851rwhp for under $8k in mods.

Could the Coyote be the new 2JZ-GTE? The vanilla GT being able to make nearly 600 on the stock block was pretty impressive, but 850 HP on an otherwise stock engine is absolute insanity, even for a V8. I'm sure being able to spin an extra thousand RPMs is what makes the BOSS variant so much more powerful though.

kronix posted:

Could you daily drive it?

I've never driven a car with anywhere near that much power, but from the videos I've seen of super-high powered cars: no, not really. Skip shift will bring you into fourth gear at 20MPH, but even in such a high gear, I suspect that you could very easily annihilate a set of street tires.

I can't find the video, but I remember seeing one of a 6-700HP Corvette (I think formally owned by someone here) that would easily spin the tires in just about any gear under 100 MPH.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

shodanjr_gr posted:

Is there an X-Pipe out there that will work with these:

http://www.newtakeoff.com/mustang_gt_exhaust_mufflers_and_tail_pipes_2011_stainless_pair_5.0L.aspx

on a 08 V6?

Any of them that are designed for stock location mufflers (basically all of them) should since that's just an axle-back exhaust.

oRenj9 posted:

Could the Coyote be the new 2JZ-GTE? The vanilla GT being able to make nearly 600 on the stock block was pretty impressive, but 850 HP on an otherwise stock engine is absolute insanity, even for a V8. I'm sure being able to spin an extra thousand RPMs is what makes the BOSS variant so much more powerful though.

It could very well be. Keep in mind that even the regular GT engines are staying together at 700+ hp. Kelley Performance has a stock engine, stock transmission, stock suspension car running mid 9s with just slicks, a supercharger, and nitrous.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

IOwnCalculus posted:

So what do these cars have in common aside from being all Fords and arguably all Mustangs?

They're all going to be in Forza 4.

So is the XB Falcon GT. I hope it isn't done up as the Mad Max Interceptor however.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I hope the Interceptor bits will be available under Aero parts.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
I got the car back and again, Tim Barth was amazing. Car is wonderful. Their quality of work there is top notch and I was shocked at where the price tag wasn't when they were done. The South must be really pissed off he's not there anymore.

It did around 650 on a MustangDyno with only 20# of boost. He said adjusted for the other one (DynoJet) if we wanted to see NUMBERZZZ it'd probably be sitting about 100-150 higher apparently. There is a hell of a lot of car to handle right now but I don't see why going over 30# isn't in the future.

Without even having ANY IDEA how to drive the car right it pulled a 10.98 at 129.8MPH. That wasn't building up boost, launching correctly, shifting at the limit, etc. The 60' was abysmal too but it's a learning process. The "oh poo poo" factor of a car that absolutely rails you in the seat and causes every organ to cower against your rear rib cage is unreal. I'm not afraid of it, but I don't think people truly realize what the hell a 9 second car feels like. That's all BEFORE the gigantic F1-A starts making boost around 4000 RPM.

The car is heavy as hell too. It's in excellent shape and I decided to keep a full interior with a rear seat delete kit. Granted nothing works except power windows, locks, and switches.

My biggest complaint is it runs VP Racing C16 which costs around $85 for 5 gallons.

I'll get photos, videos, and numbers when I start to sort the car out more.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

VibrioCholera posted:

I got the car back and again, Tim Barth was amazing. Car is wonderful. Their quality of work there is top notch and I was shocked at where the price tag wasn't when they were done. The South must be really pissed off he's not there anymore.

:thumbsup:
Glad everything worked out for you. Be sure to keep us posted on your progress.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
When should I do my first oil change on my '11 GT? It holds 2 gallons of the stuff but going by the oil life indicator it's not going to recommend a change until like 10,000 miles.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

RockSmart posted:

When should I do my first oil change on my '11 GT? It holds 2 gallons of the stuff but going by the oil life indicator it's not going to recommend a change until like 10,000 miles.

Follow the manual. Engineers at an automotive company know more about the engine they designed than some nerds on the Internet.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
What you're saying makes sense but I can't help feeling disappointed, phil.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

RockSmart posted:

Pfft. When I took mine in for service at 10K, the display thingy still said I had something like 45% oil life left.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Oh, JPC Racing's turbo kit made 853rwhp on a GT with just their turbo kit, forged internals, and a fuel system.
lol

17psi, 853 rwhp, 840lbs of torque

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Forged internals hardly counts a "just".

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Oh hey, all they did was take the engine/oil pan/heads/crank/rods/pistons and put it all back together with forged rods and pistons! Anybody can do it! :colbert:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Forged internals hardly counts a "just".

There are guys running those numbers on the stock engine. They did it because they are going to be turning up the boost (17psi is nothing for a 76mm turbo) in the future.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

frozenphil posted:

There are guys running those numbers on the stock engine. They did it because they are going to be turning up the boost (17psi is nothing for a 76mm turbo) in the future.

Any idea of they're running the mt-82 or the automatic? I'm assuming for these big horsepower applications automatic is probably the only way to go right?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kronix posted:

Any idea of they're running the mt-82 or the automatic? I'm assuming for these big horsepower applications automatic is probably the only way to go right?

They haven't said yet. However, there are people using both transmissions at this power level so I'm not sure it's an issue. I know the manual needs the clutch replaced if you go much over stock power levels.

Oh, I forgot to mention that they are running MS109 for fuel, but I don't think anyone is surprised by that. You don't force feed a 10.1 (down a point from stock) engine 17psi on pump gas. Even still, it made 832rwhp at 14psi on pump gas, lol.

Edit: Another thing to keep in mind is that they are leaving a thousand RPM on the table due to valve spring and fueling issues. If they get that fixed I wouldn't be surprised to see at least another 50hp on that graph.

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 2, 2011

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Jesus, that torque line is amazingly flat. I love the new 5.0 more and more every day.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
I did a bad, bad thing.

Ordered a 2012 Kona Blue GT. Apparently, it's hard to find a GT with Nav system, 3.73, and Brembo. These next 6 - 8 weeks are going to suck.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Presto posted:

Pfft. When I took mine in for service at 10K, the display thingy still said I had something like 45% oil life left.

Yeah, I was nervous with it showing 30% left at 7k so I took it in. I'm doing it every 5k now despite what the computer says.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

BDawg posted:

I did a bad, bad thing.

drat right you did. You were supposed to order Grabber Blue. Don't worry, there's still time to change it :v:.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Radiohead71 posted:

Yeah, I was nervous with it showing 30% left at 7k so I took it in. I'm doing it every 5k now despite what the computer says.

I've reset my oil percentage twice in 2300 mies. It goes by time if you don't drive often. I checked it when I reset it, and it was perfectly clear. It was also perfectly clear at 1400 miles when it had it's first oil change.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 5, 2011

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

BDawg posted:

I did a bad, bad thing.

Ordered a 2012 Kona Blue GT. Apparently, it's hard to find a GT with Nav system, 3.73, and Brembo. These next 6 - 8 weeks are going to suck.

Did you happen to notice if Sonic Blue made it back onto the dealer's order sheet? It's supposed to be an option soon, but it might not make it until 2013.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It's been raining hard here lately (tropical storm lee-style) and when I drove my 06 mustang today, I noticed water pouring, POURING down on the passenger side foot well from underneath the dashboard. The car was dry when I sat in it, and the water only poured down when I accelerated. Where is this water coming from and how the hell is it getting in?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

A.o.D. posted:

It's been raining hard here lately (tropical storm lee-style) and when I drove my 06 mustang today, I noticed water pouring, POURING down on the passenger side foot well from underneath the dashboard. The car was dry when I sat in it, and the water only poured down when I accelerated. Where is this water coming from and how the hell is it getting in?

The seal at the base of your windshield is might be screwed on that side. There might also be water pooled on the plastic scuttle that is coming in when you accelerate.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
So I just noticed a 2003 Mach 1 just popped up in my area and I'm tempted to go look at it. It's a stock 5 speed and has got 86k miles, anything I should look for if I decide to check it out?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

The seal at the base of your windshield is might be screwed on that side. There might also be water pooled on the plastic scuttle that is coming in when you accelerate.

How difficult are these things to fix?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

So I just noticed a 2003 Mach 1 just popped up in my area and I'm tempted to go look at it. It's a stock 5 speed and has got 86k miles, anything I should look for if I decide to check it out?

Not really. The New Edge Mustangs don't really have any common weak zones. I have over 120k miles on my '03 and, outside of normal wear and tear items, I've replaced the alternator once at 100k miles.
I'm still on all my original bulbs (except for one foglight that got hit by a rock) in the drat thing. I'm due for shocks and bushings and such, but that's just normal wear and tear for the age.

A.o.D. posted:

How difficult are these things to fix?

Any windshield place should be able to do it easily. Windshields are a pain in the rear end to remove and replace and I find it well worth the money to pay a professional to do it.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

frozenphil posted:

Did you happen to notice if Sonic Blue made it back onto the dealer's order sheet? It's supposed to be an option soon, but it might not make it until 2013.

It has not. Sonic Blue was missing, as was my first choice, Lava Red. Although you can still get Lava Red seats.

As for the comment about Grabber Blue, it's way better in person, but comes too close to what we call "Carolina Blue" for my tastes.

My 2 biggest problems with the car are 1. I didn't know cars that cost $40k have visible antennas, and 2. Speedometer is a little too compressed, making it tough to read.

Any aftermarket items I should order now like nice floor mats?

BDawg fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 5, 2011

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

BDawg posted:

2. Speedometer is a little too compressed, making it tough to read.

Couldn't agree more, especially coming from a digital speedo. For 90% of the test drive I had no loving idea how fast I was going.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 6, 2011

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
Cool thanks for the information Phil, I'll check it out probably tomorrow.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Radiohead71 posted:

Funny thing is I just checked mine today, less than 500 miles after getting the oil changed, and it's already down to 88% life. From this we can conclude that the oil life gauge thing is just making things up.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

frozenphil posted:

Not really. The New Edge Mustangs don't really have any common weak zones. I have over 120k miles on my '03 and, outside of normal wear and tear items, I've replaced the alternator once at 100k miles.
I'm still on all my original bulbs (except for one foglight that got hit by a rock) in the drat thing. I'm due for shocks and bushings and such, but that's just normal wear and tear for the age.

Any windshield place should be able to do it easily. Windshields are a pain in the rear end to remove and replace and I find it well worth the money to pay a professional to do it.

I don't think it's the windshield. How difficult is the other thing to take care of.

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
Is buying a 66-70 Mustang as a first car when I have no mechanical experience a bad idea? I never wanted a Ford Fiesta etc so I've just waited until I can afford a nice car…starting to think a recent Mustang would be less hassle?

Or should I just buy one from a good dealer and hope for the best/find a good mechanic?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

A.o.D. posted:

I don't think it's the windshield. How difficult is the other thing to take care of.

Well ID where the leak is coming from first before considering fixing it.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Zurich posted:

Is buying a 66-70 Mustang as a first car when I have no mechanical experience a bad idea?

If you have to ask us, the answer is yes.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Zurich posted:

Is buying a 66-70 Mustang as a first car when I have no mechanical experience a bad idea? I never wanted a Ford Fiesta etc so I've just waited until I can afford a nice car…starting to think a recent Mustang would be less hassle?

Or should I just buy one from a good dealer and hope for the best/find a good mechanic?

Sure, just don't pay more than $500 for one. It's your first car, you're going to gently caress it up in ways you haven't even begun to imagine yet so make sure it isn't nice.

Buy something that looks fast and isn't too expensive. Girls won't know it isn't fast, I promise.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

kronix posted:

Sure, just don't pay more than $500 for one. It's your first car, you're going to gently caress it up in ways you haven't even begun to imagine yet so make sure it isn't nice.

This is loving truth. Even if you don't think it applies to you, it applies to you. I didn't think it applied to me, and I ended up having to pay to fix the damage to the nice truck I bought. On a lesser scale, even a good 5 years after I got my license (so, with the learner's permit, over 7 years of driving), I nearly kicked myself again for almost the same thing: learning to drive a stickshift and letting it roll back, ever so slowly, into a light pole in a parking lot. No damage, but if I'd been another few inches forward, it would've been at least a scratch.

If this is your first car, you will do dumb poo poo, even if you think you're a responsible driver. Give it 2-3 years and get the car you really want, when 90% of your dumb poo poo quota is safely behind you.

EDIT: Your post is ambiguous. If you've been driving someone else's car, as in driving it regularly as you would your own, for the same period of time, this doesn't necessarily apply.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 7, 2011

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Holy poo poo. Just spent over an hour trying to fix my mach 1 grille delete.

http://www.dallasmustang.com/mustang-parts/product/GRILLE-DELETE-PANELS-1999-2003-MACH-I-BLACK/6091

Ive had this on my car ghetto style for about 6 months, just using fat double stick tape, it looked like poo poo, so i decided to do it properly.

Youre supposed to screw bolts in UNDERNEATH the bumper, i took the loving headlights out, still couldnt get my hand in there. gently caress this thing. Its literally impossible to install without taking your whole front god drat bumper off.

time to buy the american muscle one with the plastic flaps because they actually engineered it for people not installing it in the manufacturing plant. Not even sure why websites sell this loving part as it comes from ford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Chhhiiilllllll. It's not THAT hard to remove the bumper cover.

someguy posted:

take the headlights out, unclip the fender liners from the bumper. theres a couple push pins int he bottom, and then there will be 2 nuts that hold the bumper to the fender on either side. after that, there will be 2 push pins that hold the top of the bumper to the core support and it will come right off