Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I don't think folks are intentionally planning to rip-off Costco.

As anyone who has ever owned a Samsung can attest, the major "device satisfaction" problem is not how it performs out of the box, but the ability/willingness of the manufacturer to properly support/updates it for, and within a reasonable period of time. And honestly, for any given device that's something nobody can know within Verizon's 14 day return window if the purchase it on release day. Is it, however, often apparent within 90 days.

From what I see, everyone who has mentioned picking up a Bionic at Costco wants to keep that phone long term. But if a Droid Prime comes out with ICS next month, and there's no sign of an update to the Bionic at the end of 90 days, or the Bionic turns out to be poo poo, they want to retain the option to exchange it for something that's going to do them better in the long term.

And honestly, I don't blame them for hedging their bets on this.

Yeah. I got my Charge within the 90 for the Bionic coming out, and I plan to exchange it. Not really happy about anything except the LTE and screen with it. Not trying to scam anyone, but I want a phone that isn't last years specs. I'd be really annoyed using the phone 2 years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Cozmosis posted:

Yeah. I got my Charge within the 90 for the Bionic coming out, and I plan to exchange it. Not really happy about anything except the LTE and screen with it. Not trying to scam anyone, but I want a phone that isn't last years specs. I'd be really annoyed using the phone 2 years later.
Did you try GummyCharged and a lagfix kernel? Makes a big difference. The Bionic's going to be a huge step down in screen for a marginal step up in performance -- the GS1's SoC is no slouch.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
There are other reasons to want a Bionic over the Charge. They've been discussed before.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

kalibar posted:

Did you try GummyCharged and a lagfix kernel? Makes a big difference. The Bionic's going to be a huge step down in screen for a marginal step up in performance -- the GS1's SoC is no slouch.

Yeah. Still didn't find it to be very impressive. I've played/had a dualcore phone and it makes a huge difference in smoothness in my eyes.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
Crossposting:

Now that I've rooted my Thunderbolt, what can I do to extend battery life? I've got Juice Defender, and Set CPU, but wondering what others have found to be a good way to extend the battery. I normally can get right to the end of the day without having to charge, but that's with light usage. Would like to be able to get more usage out of it, if possible

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Flyboy925 posted:

Crossposting:

Now that I've rooted my Thunderbolt, what can I do to extend battery life? I've got Juice Defender, and Set CPU, but wondering what others have found to be a good way to extend the battery. I normally can get right to the end of the day without having to charge, but that's with light usage. Would like to be able to get more usage out of it, if possible

SetCPU profiles are your friend. Specifically a "Screen Off" profile where you cap the CPU to half-speed and set the scaling mode to Powersave when the screen is turned off. Things can snap back to normal when you wake the phone back up.

Edit: Also, take advantage of Titanium Backup to scrub unwanted bloatware from the T-Bolt. Tons of apps running in the background aren't any fun to deal with.

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 5, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Flyboy925 posted:

Crossposting:

You might want to give the latest GB leak a try for the Thunderbolt. You can find a stock debloated version and I have to tell you, they must have done something about the battery because my extended battery just lasted all weekend without needing a charge and I was loving with the thing on and off.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Awesome, apparently if I want to reactivate my Thunderbolt, I need another new sim card even though it said mine was still good for 90 days.

So either I need to go into my local VZW corporate store or have them mail it to me.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Flyboy925 posted:

Crossposting:

How easy was rooting your TB? I'm considering it to get rid of the bloatware as well as be able to use my loving front-facing camera in Skype but I'm not the most competent at such things.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

SyHopeful posted:

How easy was rooting your TB? I'm considering it to get rid of the bloatware as well as be able to use my loving front-facing camera in Skype but I'm not the most competent at such things.

Once I knew what I was doing, took all of 10 minutes. Easy as hell. I read the above rootwikiz thread, and watched a YouTube video regarding using revolutionary.io. The video literally holds your hand through the process. It really becomes a wham bam thank you maam process. My battery life seems to be a little better, but I havent messed around too much yet. I did get rid of the bloatware though, and not accidentally hitting the stupid Vcast music on accident when listening to music is worth it alone. Seriously do it. Ask any questions you might have, but I'm happy so far. Didn't lose any info at all either.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Have you tried returning a 13 year old piece of luggage? I don't think Costco was in the wrong here...

Unlimited/unrestricted return policies are the sole responsability of the party issuing it. They know they will get people returning things down the line, it should be expected and accepted.

I returned 10+ year old REI camping gear because it didn't work anymore, and got enough credit to buy a new modern set from them in store. That is why I keep shopping there. Every ten years..

Don't go into it to rip anyone off but if they issue a no-questions-asked return policy, don't chastise people who utilize it.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...

Flyboy925 posted:

Once I knew what I was doing, took all of 10 minutes. Easy as hell. I read the above rootwikiz thread, and watched a YouTube video regarding using revolutionary.io. The video literally holds your hand through the process. It really becomes a wham bam thank you maam process. My battery life seems to be a little better, but I havent messed around too much yet. I did get rid of the bloatware though, and not accidentally hitting the stupid Vcast music on accident when listening to music is worth it alone. Seriously do it. Ask any questions you might have, but I'm happy so far. Didn't lose any info at all either.

I have a Thunderbolt as well that I want to root, if only to kill CityID & the other Verizon bloatware than is stuck in there - do you have a link to the YouTube vid that you used? Also, will I be able to load the HTC Sense UI back onto the phone? I'm actually fond of it...

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
So the prime might be headed to AT&T?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...0JXH0i4gRcYF33A

This guy doesnt quote a source.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Bobx66 posted:

So the prime might be headed to AT&T?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...0JXH0i4gRcYF33A

This guy doesnt quote a source.

He has a source at the bottom, and the source doesn't say any of the stuff he is saying.

It is a common belief that the prime will make it to the other carriers, just that Verizon is going to get an exclusive window and slightly different branding.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
The only new thing I saw was his claim that the Droid Prime will ship with TouchWiz. I kind of figured it would ship with it or they would slather it on at a later date like the Xoom.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
I guess poo poo just moves too quickly for me to keep up with. So the Droid Prime = Nexus One with Touchwiz?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Bobx66 posted:

I guess poo poo just moves too quickly for me to keep up with. So the Droid Prime = Nexus One with Touchwiz?

No worries at all mang, it moves to fast for any one person to keep up fully.

Droid Prime = Nexus Prime

(probably, maybe)

And we honestly don't know what's up with the software, other than the fact that it will be ICS.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bigtom posted:

I have a Thunderbolt as well that I want to root, if only to kill CityID & the other Verizon bloatware than is stuck in there - do you have a link to the YouTube vid that you used? Also, will I be able to load the HTC Sense UI back onto the phone? I'm actually fond of it...

Rooting alone won't remove Sense. You'd need a custom AOSP ROM for that. As long as you don't install one (which is really difficult to do accidentally), you can keep Sense.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

Penguissimo posted:

Rooting alone won't remove Sense. You'd need a custom AOSP ROM for that. As long as you don't install one (which is really difficult to do accidentally), you can keep Sense.

This man speaks the truth. Everything on mine stayed, I just did door and s-off. Here's the video I watched, and just followed along. Was super easy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UK_CiB2SYk

Posting from a phone ain't the easiest. Copy and paste that there url

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Another bionic hands on has appeared online.

http://www.androidcentral.com/yet-a...t=Google+Reader

The more I see of the design of the phone the more I'm liking it. In that video, you can see that the "chin" isn't a sharp droppoff like the Droid3 and more of a slope that fits into the curve of the end of the phone. It is a bit thick, but no more so than other 4G phones at this point.

In general, it looks like a very polished device (and drat well should be by now.)

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Yea, I've been slowly looking at those videos and that's just a straight up nice phone. The screen looks good, better than my screen, looking forward to seeing it in person.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
My supplier screwed me, but i hope to have one tommorow. We did get the dummy units in and its a perfect size, feels good in your hand.

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only
On the Bionic Costco deal: I've been poking around a thread on androidforums and a couple people claim to have verified the sweet accessory bundle with reps at the Costco wireless kiosks.

That said, it sounds like not all Costco stores will be selling the Bionic on the 8th and that stores aren't getting very many phones. A kiosk employee in that thread claims that stores in his area are getting a whopping 6 phones each in their initial shipment, and about 2 weeks to restock. So plan on being there bright and early if you want the phone from Costco on Thursday, and probably call ahead either way.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NewcastleBrown posted:

On the Bionic Costco deal: I've been poking around a thread on androidforums and a couple people claim to have verified the sweet accessory bundle with reps at the Costco wireless kiosks.

Im wondering if I need to renew my Costco membership to use the Kiosk.. Since I assume you don't have to actually goto the register. Does this mean you have to pay then rather than the cost of the phone being added to your bill? Also, I have a $30 discount if I upgrade via Verizon.. wonder if that applies.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...

Flyboy925 posted:

This man speaks the truth. Everything on mine stayed, I just did door and s-off. Here's the video I watched, and just followed along. Was super easy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UK_CiB2SYk

Posting from a phone ain't the easiest. Copy and paste that there url

Thank you both! I just finished rooting the phone....very easy to do with the instructions.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
In the Bionic hands-on videos has anyone else noticed that its fairly common for the guy to have to swipe/tap multiple times to get it to register?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Honestly, he just flat out misses the home button the first time he jabs at it. He's like halfway between Home and Menu.

Keep in mind he's filming with one hand and trying to keep the phone in frame while using it. No testers have mentioned any digitizer problems and that's not an area that moto has had issue with historically, so I would take it as just being ham thumbed while trying to film a video.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Flyboy925 posted:

What was your method for removing the bloatware?

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
All these phones have given me a terrible case of analysis paralysis. I was looking forward to the Bionic, but five months of pushbacks and the infinite black hole of rumors for better phones perpetually "just around the corner" have stalled my decision.

I'm upgrading from an enV Touch and my final NE2 discount dies off next month. Really stuck between getting a cheapish Bionic now, then maybe trying to Craigslist it away when the Vigor/Prime/whatever comes out, and just skipping the Bionic in hopes that some other manufacturer can actually make a release window. It sucks that there's no good time to buy electronics, just a least-worst time to bite the bullet and throw your money at something.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
At Sams Club you don't need a membership to visit their wireless kiosk, you just tell them your going to the kiosk and they let you in. It's probably the same at CostCo.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

At Sams Club you don't need a membership to visit their wireless kiosk, you just tell them your going to the kiosk and they let you in. It's probably the same at CostCo.

I can just flash my expired card to get in, but I'm wondering if I need the membership when I actually go to buy it like you do a the main registers.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

soy posted:

I can just flash my expired card to get in, but I'm wondering if I need the membership when I actually go to buy it like you do a the main registers.

Again, you don't at Sams Club, I don't see why it would be any different at a CostCo. They probably wouldn't let you in if you told them you were going to the kiosk and didnt have a card if you couldn't make any purchases without it, since in their eyes the only thing you would be able to do is steal since you can't buy anything.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

soy posted:

I was poking around some Android forums the other day trying to get a question answered. I was trying to figure out if I could have the Costco membership, but purchase the phone for my brothers plan. I came across a post from a guy that supposedly works in the Costco cell phone kiosk. He mentioned that you will have to show your membership when you take the phone up to the cash register. That if I went, as long as my brother was with me, I could buy it under my membership.

Again, this is some random form with some random guy and add in that some stores probably vary.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Why don't you guys just stop in costco before the phone comes out and ask? Or call for that matter...

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Why don't you guys just stop in costco before the phone comes out and ask? Or call for that matter...

That's a good idea. But sometimes what a business tells you isn't exactly how they work.

Had that happen with Verizon just a week ago.

Oh, and that means I'd have to talk to people. :colbert:

CancerStick fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 7, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Because they'll probably play dumb like the Verizon guy today who told me they couldn't confirm or deny anything about the Droid Bionic.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

SyHopeful posted:

What was your method for removing the bloatware?

I downloaded and used titanium backup. In the backup tab, I believe, oh can uninstall individual apps. I used that to remove the bloatware. Just be careful not to remove the self thing. There's a few sites that list actual bloatware and necessary stuff. Easy easy as well

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Because they'll probably play dumb like the Verizon guy today who told me they couldn't confirm or deny anything about the Droid Bionic.

But you wouldn't be asking about the bionic, just if you could go in and purchase a phone without a costco card.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like in depth reviews will hit later in the day, but there are a few hands on and they are glowing.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/09/07/motorola-droid-bionic-hands-on/

I've always found BGR to be a bit critical of android and motorola in general, but drat if this isn't some praise.

quote:

Again, we haven’t spent too much time with the Motorola DROID BIONIC so far since Verizon just gave us a review unit yesterday, but one thing seems apparent… this very well could be the greatest smartphone ever to hit Verizon Wireless,

This thing might actually live up to the hype.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

bull3964 posted:

Looks like in depth reviews will hit later in the day, but there are a few hands on and they are glowing.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/09/07/motorola-droid-bionic-hands-on/

I've always found BGR to be a bit critical of android and motorola in general, but drat if this isn't some praise.

This thing might actually live up to the hype.

Its certainly making me look into how much I can get for my Droid 3 (and I love my Droid 3)

• Locked thread