Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Dave is still optimistic about certain angles in TNA at the beginning of them (ex. recent 16 man tournament). TNA. He can't be too far down on wrestling if he is still trying to get himself up for that bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.
You also have to consider that Meltzer has been covering pro-wrestling, and doing it as a full-time job, for a very long loving time. Considering all the poo poo he's seen, heard, and had knowledge of (some of it we can't even guess at), for him not be completely burned out at this point is close to a miracle.

On the other hand, he has also seen a lot of pro wrestling done right, so putting up with some of the bullshit that's presented nowadays must be a lot harder for him than for the average viewer. Yet he still retains a huge enthusiasm for the business as a whole, and as many people who met him would testify, he will talk to anybody about wrestling for hours at length if given the slightest provocation.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
I think I need to step away from F4W for a while. Bryan is reaching critical mass of annoying to me of late, and I'll be needing a bit of respite from him to recharge.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
The best part of last night's Smart Wrestling Fan was apparently too rude for Joe to keep it in the PG podcast. So, if anyone wanted to hear my live review of Ricardo Rodriguez's adult film debut, it can be found here.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

dshban posted:

The best part of last night's Smart Wrestling Fan was apparently too rude for Joe to keep it in the PG podcast. So, if anyone wanted to hear my live review of Ricardo Rodriguez's adult film debut, it can be found here.

the girls in that film were nothing but jobbers.

...I'll get me coat.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

Lamuella posted:

the girls in that film were nothing but jobbers.

...I'll get me coat.

Terrific.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Listened to most of the new I Want Wrestling podcast, the one on 9/11. Nothing really interesting, might as well just have Hacksaw chanting USA USA USA for an hour.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

dshban posted:

Classic and classy.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Mr. Carlisle posted:

No I 'get' him just fine. I know he's obsessive and doesn't know what a joke is but it just gets to be too much sometimes. I can handle his complete lack of a sense of humor but the talking to himself for ten minutes at a time just trying to remember some insignificant detail while Bryan keeps repeating himself trying to move the conversation forward is terrible.

You don't get dave.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

HulkaMatt posted:

You don't get dave.

Christ, alright - I don't "Get Dave". And I really don't care too, then. He's mind numbingly boring and a chore to listen to most times.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

HulkaMatt posted:

You don't get dave.

It's possible to understand a joke without liking it.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Christ, alright - I don't "Get Dave". And I really don't care too, then. He's mind numbingly boring and a chore to listen to most times.

Dave's pretty awesome most the time, but he doesn't know how to have a conversation and it gets very irritating. I'm interested in getting clarification from my BFF HulkaMatt as to what he's implying about "getting Dave."

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I was listening to some older shows, and I forgot about a drop that hasn't been played for a while. Dave is on a cell phone apparently, and 96% of what he says during a 30-45second rant doesn't go through. Then you hear him again and he says "...and you just let bygones be bygones, you know what I'm sayin'?"

And Bryan just goes, "Yeah!"

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.
I don't think there's anything to "get" about Dave Meltzer, except that he's a huge sperg whose area of expertise happens to be professional wrestling. Also, by all accounts, he's a pretty cool dude.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the guy and really enjoy listening to WOR, but I realize that it takes some getting used to, you know, the way, you know, his brain works, and the way he sometimes, you know, gets hung up on stuff and seems to be, you know, debating with himself, instead of, you know, getting to whatever point he's trying to make.

Still, the guy is a treasure in terms of wrestling knowledge and insight and he's right about stuff a lot more often than he's wrong. He also maintains a lot of enthusiasm and positivity about the business and to me that helps some of his quirkiness become a lot more palatable, or even endearing.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i subbed in august 2009 i think, and dave took a real long time to get used to, you know?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

The Shaman of Cum posted:

i subbed in august 2009 i think, and dave took a real long time to get used to, you know?

It's like frikkin, you know

Hold on-

He like takes discussion by the horns

Wait Dave hold on-

And, you know, he just won't frikkin let go.

Wait, wait Dave-

And then goes on a ten minute digression on Saint Louis wrestling we should get Larry Matysik back on the show, you know?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I think I need to step away from F4W for a while. Bryan is reaching critical mass of annoying to me of late, and I'll be needing a bit of respite from him to recharge.

Yeah I've declined to re-subscribe every now and then when I need a break from Bryan. I generally like him but loving HELL when he gets hung up on some poo poo and bring up the same, shrill rant in four consecutive shows I tend to let my subscription expire and re-sub a month or two later, when I've forgotten how annoyed I was.

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry

The Shaman of Cum posted:

Well that's just the nature of the beast, you know

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
We forgot to talk about Konnan!

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

My love for dave is like, so freakin huge.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
I love Dave so much because he is alot like me when it comes to wrestling :spergin:.

(I also say you know alot)

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

ChampRamp posted:

I love Dave so much because he is a lot like me when it comes to wrestling :spergin:.

Dave's not a bad guy; actually he's pretty chill and likable for a guy with no social skills. It just bugs me that so many of his biases have become the smark standard for what good wrestling is.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

CombineThresher posted:

Dave's not a bad guy; actually he's pretty chill and likable for a guy with no social skills. It just bugs me that so many of his biases have become the smark standard for what good wrestling is.

Give me some examples. I know a few, but I just want to know what you think they are.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I don't really care for Dave on podcasts, but I really enjoy his writing. I feel like his sense of humor comes off way better in the observer.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

CombineThresher posted:

Yeah I kind of know what you mean. It bothers me sometimes that I can tell my own bias is shaped a lot by WO/F4W. But at the same time, it happens because a lot of what they say makes perfect sense to me.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

ChampRamp posted:

Give me some examples. I know a few, but I just want to know what you think they are.

Well, the one that immediately comes to mind is his huge puro boner - Ditch has exposed me, all of us really, to a lot of good puro, but I think the way Meltzer used to automatically rate puro matches higher than American ones was unjustified. Whether that was a reaction to lazy veterans on the US scene or not, I can't say, but it bothered me.

More generally, there's more to a wrestling match than how many stars are bestowed upon it by one guy. I don't think Dave views himself as the Pope of smart fans, but a lot of smart fans do and it's tiresome as all hell.

edit: is it accurate to say that the demand for spotfests from indy wrestling fans came as a result of Dave, too? I dimly remember thinking that he gave crazy spotfests way too much credit.

CombineThresher fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 8, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Dave does have bias or preference to certain match types or styles, but I don't think there isn't too many serious criticisms on his ratings, aside from six staring a Steamboat/Flair match he saw and his overrating of WWE spot fests/Elimination Chambers/Hell in a Cells. I can't think of too many matches where he gave super high ratings to or super low ratings to that missed the point. Then again, a five star system is terrible and nobody should ever use it.

It's not like Roger Ebert where he's completely missed the mark on several really, really good films (The Usual Suspects, Fight Club, etc.)

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?
BIG DAVE is really loving knowledgeable about pro wrestling, and loves it more than pretty much anyone else on the planet.

When it comes to STAR RATINGS, he's a really good critic, but like all critics, it's his (informed) opinion. Also, the 5 star rating system is stupid only because you might as well just rate matches out of 20 if you're going to use quarter stars. Star systems in general should just be used to give a quick summation of the approximate quality of the match - it's not the be all end all if Punk/Cena or Davey/Eddie is 5 or 4 and 3 quarters stars - either way, they're great matches.

And Usual Suspects is not very good.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

I remember vague uproars when stuff like Michaels Taker 1 and 2 didn't get 5 stars. In my mind giving a match 4 and three quarter stars is, well, it's 5 stars.

ZoDiAC_ fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 8, 2011

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I don't really care for Dave on podcasts, but I really enjoy his writing. I feel like his sense of humor comes off way better in the observer.

You don't "get" Dave.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Moose Bigelow posted:

You don't "get" Dave.

...until you put a ring on his finger.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

ZoDiAC_ posted:

I remember vague uproars when stuff like Michaels Taker 1 and 2 didn't get 5 stars. In my mind giving a match 4 and three quarter stars is, well, it's 5 stars.

Yeah, the star ratings system allows for a lot of nitpicking about blown spots, which I'm willing to forgive if the guys are really good at covering for them or incorporating them. Maybe that's why I like Sabu so much.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I don't get why people care about star ratings. Who cares if Dave thinks a match is 4 stars or 5? Does it really impact anyone's life if they have a different opinion than Dave?

I can maybe understand people caring about video game ratings. If you love a game but critics poo poo on it, it hurts the metacritic rating which means other people may not check it out. Then you don't get a sequel to the game.

But Dave's star ratings really don't mean anything in the big picture.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I finally got caught up on audio. Lance Storm needs to get on twitter.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

MassRayPer posted:

I finally got caught up on audio. Lance Storm needs to get on twitter.

He just did a few days ago. @Storm_Wrestling if IIRC.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Todd Martin doing his best Allen Iverson impression. "We're not talking about a fight. We're talking about PRESSERS."

Of course Bryan would never get it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love going through the Archives and checking out Raven's interview from 2006.

I'm going in thinking it'll be cool ECW stories, ripping on WCW and WWF.

Nope, it's Dave and Raven arguing over the semantics of drug taking. :psyduck:

edit: Mick flirtatiously admitted he'll probably be with WWE soon. :)

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 9, 2011

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I would be happy if Lance Storm had his own show.

To go back a few weeks: did the Zandig story from the end of the Kevin Steen episode Art of Wrestling just cut off?

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Foley was quite candid about TNA.

Also Dave Meltzer's brother is a successful comedian. That explains who got the sense of humour in that family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Foley was being kinda evasive about coming back, so Brian started asking:

"If you were to do a certain something with a certain group of people at a certain point in time..."

Dave cuts him off:

"Who would you want it to be with in the ring?!"

• Locked thread