Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
That's awesome. I love Moto hardware so my decision might be harder than I thought come upgrade time.

Just checked ebay to see how much the X2 is going for.

:( looks like I'll just hold onto it till my upgrade.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What I though was really interesting was their comments related to the Droid3.

quote:

The DROID BIONIC feels completely different compared to other Motorola devices — especially the Motorola DROID 3. For the first time, it feels like a cohesive handset. Our experience following a day of light usage has this phone almost rivaling stock Android devices, again, for the time ever in our view. Read on for more and don’t forget to check out our photo gallery below.

The assumption to date has been that the software stack was going to be very similar to the D3, but it doesn't sound like they are talking about just hardware there.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Agreed, my girl is pretty dead set on a D3 for the keyboard, if it's a big enough improvement over the D3 though...

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
FWIW I just spoke to an employee at Costco's Verizon kiosk and was told you can't buy a phone there without a membership.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Athenry posted:

Its certainly making me look into how much I can get for my Droid 3 (and I love my Droid 3)

Tell me about it, I'll probably be buying it off contract since the difference between subsidized and unsubsidized is so small and selling my Thunderbolt to make up the difference.

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

soy posted:

Im wondering if I need to renew my Costco membership to use the Kiosk.. Since I assume you don't have to actually goto the register. Does this mean you have to pay then rather than the cost of the phone being added to your bill? Also, I have a $30 discount if I upgrade via Verizon.. wonder if that applies.

This is all according to things I read on androidforum, so take that as you will.

You need a membership to buy from phones. Everything I've read suggests that you pay at the actual Costco register, not at the kiosk itself. The explanation, which relates also to your second question, is that Costco buys the phones, then Wireless Advocates (or whoever it is that runs the kiosk) essentially acts as a middle man between you, Costco and Verizon. Costco owns the phones, not Wireless Advocates. Which means that...

You can't have the phone added to your bill. Costco has already paid Verizon for these phones, so if the cost of the phone was added to the bill Verizon would be paid twice and Costco would be paid never.

You cannot have your NE2 discount applied at a Costco kiosk. They can only give you a new account or give you your 20 month upgrade (ie: give you a subsidized phone in exchange for a 2 year contract renewal). The explanation from the guy in the android forums was that now that NE2 is $30-$50 it really doesn't matter because Costco always sells smart phones for at least $50 less than Verizon does in-store.

Hope that clears things up!

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

So.....anything else 4G feels like an absolute brick compared to this thing. Spec wise I dont think its too much lighter, but mentally, it feels like its half the weight of the revo or the t-bolt.

More to come as I play with it more.

Shipped with a 55% battery at 1:10pm, we we see how long it can go.

EDIT: 2158 on Quadrant.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 7, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Extreme jealously.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
When does Verizon put new phones up on their site? I don't see the Bionic available to order yet.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

It launches the 8th. You wont see it until then.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

wandler20 posted:

When does Verizon put new phones up on their site? I don't see the Bionic available to order yet.

It probably won't go up till tomorrow. Some people have reported success in ordering through telesales right now though.

I'm going to swing by costco at lunch and see if I can get any info out of them (number of devices, if the bundle is legit, if they will reserve me one, or even if they'll jump street.)

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

wandler20 posted:

Midnight-ish, supposedly. You can try calling in an order, though.

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

Mighty Horse posted:

More to come as I play with it more.

How's the screen look?

I'm so excited.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004
Both lines eligible for upgrade as of yesterday, as well as a 50 dollar New Every 2 credit on the main line... looks like I might be buying two of these bad boys tomorrow!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Going to go buy one after work tomorrow, so excited to get rid of this razr (again)

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

NewcastleBrown posted:

How's the screen look?

I'm so excited.

It looks the same as the Droid X2 to me... Fine, but some people might sperg that its not as colorful as the Charge.

Waaaay more responsive touch than the Revo I was using.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

bull3964 posted:

It probably won't go up till tomorrow. Some people have reported success in ordering through telesales right now though.

I'm going to swing by costco at lunch and see if I can get any info out of them (number of devices, if the bundle is legit, if they will reserve me one, or even if they'll jump street.)

There is no reason that bundle shouldn't be legit. They run those promos all the time at Costco. My buddy was until this past summer a manager of the cellphone department at a Costco in Texas. He would always tell me about the accessory bundles they thrown in and yes he would mention the 90 day exchange thing that was discussed in this thread

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today
I'm hearing a rumor that the Bionic might retail for $179 at Costco WITH the accessory bundle.

Just a rumor at this point. I haven't seen a Costco ad that includes a price, so it's possible...

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ModestMuse posted:

I'm hearing a rumor that the Bionic might retail for $179 at Costco WITH the accessory bundle.

Just a rumor at this point. I haven't seen a Costco ad that includes a price, so it's possible...

You're off by $100 - it's $279.99

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey

doctor thodt posted:

You're off by $100 - it's $279.99

You're probably right, but have you seen that in print from Costco

VVVVVV - rumor squashed, never mind

ModestMuse fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 7, 2011

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ModestMuse posted:

You're probably right, but have you seen that in print from Costco yet?

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Costco-plans-to-introduce-the-Motorola-DROID-BIONIC-with-a-280-price-and-free-accessory-kit_id21925

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

You wont see anything less than $299.99 in print anywhere for the Bionic for a while. Verizon has a MAP (minimum advertised price) requirement on it for a few months at least.

You might see it in store, but not in any print ads.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mighty Horse posted:

You wont see anything less than $299.99 in print anywhere for the Bionic for a while. Verizon has a MAP (minimum advertised price) requirement on it for a few months at least.

You might see it in store, but not in any print ads.

I just got back from Costco and that is indeed the deal they have. $279 2y contract with that full list of goodies. He showed me the printout.

Oh, and my Costco store is only getting 5 (and they haven't even arrived yet, they are expected before tomorrow though.) I'm going to be really annoyed if I can't manage to snag one.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also bear in mind that Costco memberships are fully refundable. So even if you're not a member, you can sign up, buy the phone there at the discounted rate with the bundle, and then get your $50 back if you decide you don't want to keep your membership (though I'd recommend hanging onto it, since Costco is awesome).

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I just got back from Costco and that is indeed the deal they have. $279 2y contract with that full list of goodies. He showed me the printout.

Oh, and my Costco store is only getting 5 (and they haven't even arrived yet, they are expected before tomorrow though.) I'm going to be really annoyed if I can't manage to snag one.

I don't doubt the price, its just you wont see it in any print ads.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mighty Horse posted:

I don't doubt the price, its just you wont see it in any print ads.

Oh, yeah, I wasn't saying you were wrong or anything. I was just giving confirmation on their actual price.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Waiting to see how the battery life is on the Bionic, I bought my Incredible 2 at Costco for the 90 return policy

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I'm surprised to see the Fascinate is still going for around $150 on ebay. So I should be able to get the Bionic for around $150 after selling my Fascinate.

Any idea what off contract cost will be on the Bionic? I'm guessing around $570.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I want to say 585, I just don't know if I want to go through the hassle of selling my X2. Not to mention they aren't fetching much, or at least the ones with bids aren't. Like under 200 bucks for some, crazy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

wandler20 posted:

Any idea what off contract cost will be on the Bionic? I'm guessing around $570.

$580 was the number floating around i believe, but I don't know if it was confirmed or not.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I'm trying my hardest to wait till long term reviews come out on the Bionic or until the Vigor comes out but man oh man is it so tempting to just get the Bionic tomorrow.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

doctor thodt posted:

Also bear in mind that Costco memberships are fully refundable. So even if you're not a member, you can sign up, buy the phone there at the discounted rate with the bundle, and then get your $50 back if you decide you don't want to keep your membership (though I'd recommend hanging onto it, since Costco is awesome).

Really? That would be perfect. I don't have a membership, but its silly to pretend that Costco will not have the best deal, even if I have to wait a month for them to be in stock.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
My Motorola Droid just gave up on living about two weeks ago so I've been without a phone since, going to head into work late so I can be at the store as soon as it opens to grab a Bionic, I'm actually excited like it's Christmas and I'm a 10 year old boy again. I love me my toys.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

ukrainius maximus posted:

My Motorola Droid just gave up on living about two weeks ago so I've been without a phone since, going to head into work late so I can be at the store as soon as it opens to grab a Bionic, I'm actually excited like it's Christmas and I'm a 10 year old boy again. I love me my toys.

That is really exciting, seriously. I love that feeling :) POST A REVIEW

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
To anyone with a VZW Business account:

Is adding an administrator to an account online through My Verizon the same thing as calling in to customer service and adding an authorized user? Trying to add myself to my parents' business account so that I can switch phones in the store, etc. without having to bring them with me or having to call them on the spot.

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only
I just called my local Costco and the guy said 1) The phones aren't in yet but would be showing up tomorrow. 2) They're only getting 6 units. 3) They have already sold 4. so there are two left. 5) First come first served and they can't hold them.

Obviously that means 4 units are going to employees or their friends/family. He wasn't even sure that they would be in by store open, so my options are taking the morning off work and hoping they have them there when I get there and that two people didn't show up before me, or waiting for a restock, and hoping to get one of those.

I can't imagine what Costco was thinking when they decided to only stock 6 units per location on a phone they were giving such an awesome deal on.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So my for my existing Verizon account my actual contract end date isn't until: 11/06/2011

However I'm eligible for what I guess is a NE2 upgrade with $30 discount currently...

Does this mean I can't get the phone at Costco since I'm not actually out of my contract?

I think it's moot at this point because Costco would probably sell out by the time I could get there, and I need a phone since I killed my old school droid last Friday...

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

soy posted:

So my for my existing Verizon account my actual contract end date isn't until: 11/06/2011

However I'm eligible for what I guess is a NE2 upgrade with $30 discount currently...

Does this mean I can't get the phone at Costco since I'm not actually out of my contract?

I think it's moot at this point because Costco would probably sell out by the time I could get there, and I need a phone since I killed my old school droid last Friday...

You can get it at Costco but you can't apply your NE2 discount.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey

NewcastleBrown posted:

Costco

It seems that all the locations received 6 phones each. My store said the same thing. That's probably all that Motorola/Verizon allocated to them. She had already received over 10 calls about the phone, and had only been there 2 hours. People will be lining up early at that location to get it. She said that they would be getting another shipment on Saturday, but I have no idea how to time that sort of thing before others pick them up first...

I wish I had enough free time to line up for it. Hopefully supply stabilizes within a week or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
What kind of display does the Bionic have? Is it pentile?

• Locked thread