Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Flying Guillotine posted:

Such as? And how much are we talking about?

The total cost for mine was around $40k, I wound up with $5k of loan debt at the end of it (top 25 school). That said I just looked at some mid tier California schools and holy crap is that some expensive poo poo. $87k, UC-Davis? Really?

What other states do you like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

bewbies posted:

The total cost for mine was around $40k, I wound up with $5k of loan debt at the end of it (top 25 school). That said I just looked at some mid tier California schools and holy crap is that some expensive poo poo. $87k, UC-Davis? Really?

Wow. My school costs far, far more than that and only pays GAs $1100/semester. Ugh.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

bewbies posted:

Due to government budget problems, public universities in some states have raised tuition by large percentages the last couple of years.

Flying Guillotine
Dec 29, 2005

by angerbot

bewbies posted:

Just California, Can't / not willing to travel.

But what's the cheapest MBA you've found, regardless of location.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

California is pretty sizable, especially north-south. I don't know where you are, but I find it hard to believe there's no where in an adjacent state that's easier to reach than a city in the same state.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

It is pretty tough to say what the "cheapest" MBA would be not knowing what kind of subsidy you could expect from the school. Like I said above, my MBA's face value was well over $40k in tuition alone, but its cost to me was pretty minimal.

Glancing at California it seems like there are no cheap MBAs at any schools you'd want to go to, and an online MBA from somewhere out of state isn't going to be terribly helpful in getting you into a new career path.

I guess what I'm saying is if you're 100% sure you 1) want a new career and 2) want to get an MBA you're going to have to make some tough choices (read: move somewhere else for school). Based on what I've seen you're going to be shelling out a ton of cash to get even a mediocre MBA anywhere in California and doing that wouldn't be very smart.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Small White Dragon posted:

California is pretty sizable, especially north-south. I don't know where you are, but I find it hard to believe there's no where in an adjacent state that's easier to reach than a city in the same state.

Every direction out of California is either Mexico, the desert or the Pacific Ocean.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

plester1 posted:

Every direction out of California is either Mexico, the desert or the Pacific Ocean.
Oregon?

Flying Guillotine
Dec 29, 2005

by angerbot

Cicero posted:

Oregon?

Shhh... Don't tell him Oregon, or about its trail either... he might die of dysentery along the way.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Are universities in the desert (Arizona, Nevada) any cheaper?

Flying Guillotine
Dec 29, 2005

by angerbot

Are universities in the desert (Arizona, Nevada) any cheaper?

That's what I'd like to know.

I did find this, though:

University of South Dakota

Regional Accreditation: Yes. Professional B-school Accreditation: AACSB. Hours required: 33 semester hours. Cost per credit hour: $269.35 in-state and out-of-state. Total Tuition Cost Based on Present Rates: $8,889.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

http://www.businessweek.com/business-schools/what-ever-happened-to-the-top-mbas-of-1991-08312011.html

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Good article. One of the common threads among the graduates is how their MBA gave them a broadened business perspective that they never would have gotten on their own. I couldn't agree more. My class in Corporate Strategy was the ah-ha moment that pushed me to schedule a sit-down w/ our vp of strategy.

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

Ravage the land as never before, total destruction from mountain to shore!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903352704576540991022035316.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLE_Video_second great article on the changes to application essays in recent years. glad it was easier when i applied in 2007!

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Do graduate schools consider the company one works for? If I were to work for a company with a lot of prestige and name recognition and I'm working in the business side of the company, would that assist me in getting into the school?

I'm currently recognizing that while I like what I do now (online content management, community management, developing marketing campaigns and programs), there isn't really a path up that doesn't ask for an MBA and I'll need one within the next 5 or 6 years to progress. And while "business" doesn't interest in me at all and I don't have an entrepreneurial bone in my body, the future seems like it's either making more money and being slightly unhappy/neutral while enjoying more potential opportunity for advancement or making less money and being unhappy because I'll be a 50-year-old marketing manager and as soon as I inevitably get laid-off, no one will hire me because I've been in the same spot for 20 years.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 7, 2011

Flying Guillotine
Dec 29, 2005

by angerbot

Blinkman987 posted:

Do graduate schools consider the company one works for? If I were to work for a company with a lot of prestige and name recognition and I'm working in the business side of the company, would that assist me in getting into the school?

I'm currently recognizing that while I like what I do now (online content management, community management, developing marketing campaigns and programs), there isn't really a path up that doesn't ask for an MBA and I'll need one within the next 5 or 6 years to progress. And while "business" doesn't interest in me at all and I don't have an entrepreneurial bone in my body, the future seems like it's either making more money and being slightly unhappy/neutral while enjoying more potential opportunity for advancement or making less money and being unhappy because I'll be a 50-year-old marketing manager and as soon as I inevitably get laid-off, no one will hire me because I've been in the same spot for 20 years.

Any chance you can get the company to pay for the MBA?

xdimitrix
Nov 21, 2003
D.B. Cooper

Blinkman987 posted:

Yes, the company you work for is an important factor.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Blinkman987 posted:

Entrepreneurship is a really small part of the MBA. It's like a chapter in maybe 2 books you'll read unless you take an elective dedicated to it. Think about how all those non-major classes you took as an undergrad gave you a well-rounded education. This is like that, except its business.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Blinkman987 posted:

Sometimes an MBA is a checkmark you need to move up. Sounds like you might be in that position. Is there a reputable school in the area that offers a weekend/evening MBA you could pursue? That might be your best bet.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Thanks for the input. I don't want to talk too specifically since people who know me professionally post here, but this information has been very useful. And yes, I think if I do get a MBA it will be a checkmark. Having respect for academics and advanced degrees,, I kinda feel like a bum in educating myself in something that does not interest me. I know it's not something to take lightly.

Neither UCLA or USC seem to offer online courses, but i'm sure I'd be able to find one. I'm probably a year or two away from actually applying and testing (have to save all my pennies!), but it's a path I'm going to explore. Again, thanks for the help. =)

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Blinkman987 posted:

Thanks for the input. I don't want to talk too specifically since people who know me professionally post here, but this information has been very useful. And yes, I think if I do get a MBA it will be a checkmark. Having respect for academics and advanced degrees,, I kinda feel like a bum in educating myself in something that does not interest me. I know it's not something to take lightly.

Neither UCLA or USC seem to offer online courses, but i'm sure I'd be able to find one. I'm probably a year or two away from actually applying and testing (have to save all my pennies!), but it's a path I'm going to explore. Again, thanks for the help. =)
Seems like there's a lot of SoCal folks here?

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima

Cicero posted:

Oregon?

You have to go through miles upon miles of Northern California just to get to Oregon. Some people don't even make it out of Northern California.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Are there any current or former Stanford or Harvard MBA students? If so, would you be willing to answer some questions in here, through private messaging, or e-mail?

[EDIT]: I guess more generally, are there MBA programs out there with international business in mind? Also, would an MBA help educate me on how to found my own business, how to find investors, and etc.?

Also, is anyone familiar with the Thunderbird School of Global Management? I know it's supposed to be great for internationally-focused MBA students, but seems to be virtually unheard anywhere else.

Plus, if I wanted to find work in the San Francisco/southern California area, would it be pertinent to search for business schools primarily within California or could I go for a great business school elsewhere and then apply for jobs in California?

[EDIT 2]: Can MBA students elect to take non-business courses while studying for their MBA? I think I remember reading about how you can take non-business course electives while studying at Harvard.

Plus, anyone here know of ways in which you could do a formal or ad-hoc joint degree between an MBA and an MA in International Affairs or Asian/Chinese studies?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 8, 2011

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

OrangeGuy posted:

Also, is anyone familiar with the Thunderbird School of Global Management? I know it's supposed to be great for internationally-focused MBA students, but seems to be virtually unheard anywhere else.

An acquaintance completed his MBA with Thunderbird and I discussed it with him for an hour or so.

It's not respected (though it used to be) and it's considered in the same vein as Phoenix as far as I could gather from his complaints. I didn't "attend" Thunderbird, however, so I only have a passing third-hand knowledge of it all.

Flying Guillotine
Dec 29, 2005

by angerbot
List of cheap MBAs:

http://www.geteducated.com/online-college-ratings-and-rankings/best-buy-lists/best-buy-mba-regional

An MBA from Wayne State for only $6750? Really?!

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

List of cheap MBAs:

http://www.geteducated.com/online-college-ratings-and-rankings/best-buy-lists/best-buy-mba-regional

An MBA from Wayne State for only $6750? Really?!

Note that it's from Wayne State College in Nebraska, not the AACSB-accredited Wayne State University in Michigan.

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod
Got my application in for NYU's part time program about a week ago. As a working professional in NYC who is having his employer pay his way, my choices are somewhat limited, and I wasn't too interested in Fordham:

750 GMAT, 3.0 GPA (from 10 years ago), VP of Technology at a large, recognizable investment bank...keep your fingers crossed for me, hopefully I'll be starting in January!

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Don Wrigley posted:

Got my application in for NYU's part time program about a week ago. As a working professional in NYC who is having his employer pay his way, my choices are somewhat limited, and I wasn't too interested in Fordham:

750 GMAT, 3.0 GPA (from 10 years ago), VP of Technology at a large, recognizable investment bank...keep your fingers crossed for me, hopefully I'll be starting in January!
Just curious, what is your goal?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Don Wrigley posted:

That would be a pretty killer application most places, I'd be shocked if you didn't get in.

Flying Guillotine
Dec 29, 2005

by angerbot
I gotta ask, what's so bad about Phoenix University? Is it just the reputation, most attendees are military, what? Seems like a decent way to get an MBA on the fly, for relatively cheap.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

I gotta ask, what's so bad about Phoenix University? Is it just the reputation, most attendees are military, what? Seems like a decent way to get an MBA on the fly, for relatively cheap.

It is ridiculously expensive for the value you can expect to get out of it, not to mention your average MBA student at a real school is probably smarter and more knowledgable than the typical "master certificate" holding at UOP. It is also for-profit which is repugnant.

If you're looking for nothing more than a check-the-block degree and you're not paying for it it might be worth it, otherwise there's no reason to consider it.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Here is an in-depth Frontline episode all about how for-profit universities are reprehensible: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/collegeinc/view/

Cindare
Dec 20, 2006

CaptainEO posted:

Also, if you're already running a successful business, the MBA may be less valuable than you think :).

Orgasmo posted:

Entrepreneurial spirit cannot be taught. You do already have some business acumen. What the MBA would do is create a strong base for you to look at your business critically from different angles: cost accounting, finance, marketing, human resources (behavior), strategy, and general management. I think pursuing an MBA would make you a happier, more confident business-owner, but I would hesitate to register if attending class would have a possible impact to business. The MBA is generally more geared towards the corporate setting, which gives you an out in case poo poo heads south, but would have a muted impact on your shop.

I am a funeral director on track to start a cemetery in the next two to three years. (I'm currently raising capital with real estate sidelines; so far so good!) I have pretty clear long-term goals which include building a "one-stop shop" with a full service florist, crematory, mortuary, and life insurance practice; in roughly that order.

I have considered pursuing an MBA in order to hone by skills and have the personal capacity to start my own local death service conglomerate. Could you folks elaborate on the points quoted above? Is going to B-school a bad idea, or can I get something out of it other than bullshit factoids that look more impressive on a PowerPoint presentation than in practice?

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod

Just curious, what is your goal?

In the long term, I'd like to make Managing Director at my firm, which is more or less the most senior position one can expect as a technology professional...really being responsible for helping to oversee the direction of the technology division.

An MBA is certainly not a must, of the technology leaders in the corporation I know that about 25% (conservatively) have one, but I believe it will give me the tools I need to be up to the challenge. I do think that it certainly will be more helpful than an MS in CS, for example.

remistus
Sep 3, 2003

pink elephants
I'm trying to frame this in a way that doesn't come across as asking if I will get in or anything, because that isn't what I'm after.

I graduated from a top 20 University in Undergrad with a psychology major. I took a bunch of business and econ courses at the business school there, but the business school didn't offer a minor in business (BBA or bust). At the time I still had a bit of growing up to do and my cumulative GPA was pretty low (2.85, graduated '09), but I was heavily involved in extracurriculars (VP of my Fraternity and Publicity Director of an a capella group I cofounded).

My questions:

1) aside from acing the GMAT and doing well at work, what else can I be doing to help improve my chances of admission?
2) how much is my GPA going to negatively impact my chances, as I've read there's less weight on GPA in MBA admissions than other grad programs?

Again, I'm more asking trying to figure out what I'm up against when I apply in a couple of years rather than figure out if this + this = insta admission to Northwestern or Wharton.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
From what I understand, the longer you've been out of school, the less they will care about your GPA.

Insignificunt
Jul 1, 2010

by I Ozma Myself
If I do my undergrad in Finance, is there a huge monetary difference in getting an MBA? I am not your typical business jerk, so I assume an MBA would be worthless to me.

flyingfoggy
Jun 3, 2006

My fellow Obamas...

Insignificunt posted:

If I do my undergrad in Finance, is there a huge monetary difference in getting an MBA? I am not your typical business jerk, so I assume an MBA would be worthless to me.

Depending on your career path, lots of jobs strongly suggest an MBA after about 3-6 years post-undergrad - regardless of your undergrad major. Most jobs in finance, consulting, upper level positions in large companies, jobs involving the word "strategy", business development, among a ton of others I can't think of at the moment. It's totally possible to get along without one, but most job postings at that level say they prefer an MBA and it seems most people in those jobs have them. There are also a variety of other reasons discussed in this thread.

You get your MBA 3-6ish years after undergrad, and the mixture of people is a lot more varied than you would initially think (not just bankers). The classroom experience and jobs people get after are not the same jobs as undergrad. Whether it's a good ROI depends on your own situation.

megazord
Jul 16, 2001

Hopefully my secondhand anecdotes provide some perspective for the prospective Phoenix students. I'm considering an MBA but I'm still finishing up undergrad in a part time program at a local, medium-sized, brick and mortar institution.

These are both people I work with/for who have Phoenix MBAs and undergrad:

1) My boss. A senior manager with about 30 people reporting to him. Easily makes 6 figures, drives a 7 series. He's cutthroat, ruthless, and REALLY smart. He is a strong personality, well liked by his management peers, and totally customer focused.

Is he at a F 500 company? No, we don't even make a billion a year and we're non-profit. Would I like/be comfortable in his position? Yes, I could live like that. Many people with far superior credentials have held his job and failed.

2) Mr. Desert Storm Veteran. Has a BS from Cal State and a Phoenix MBA. He's been at his entry level IT call-center job since he's been here. Has interviewed for just about every internal IT position from system admin to business analyst and failed.

Is he stupid? I don't think so - he just doesn't have that thing where people say "this guy can succeed". From what I can see; it's a combination of his personality, how he interacts with others, and how he carries himself in general.

That said, Phoenix is not an option for me even if work pays for it. The only people I know who would respect that are people who also graduated from UoP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

I've been reading this thread off and on since it first started and I know there's a number of posts on here asking for advice so I'm hoping folks here would be willing to do the same for me.

Little history: I have a BS-EET from DeVry that landed me the position I've been in for the last 9 years. 2 years ago I completed a MA in Organizational Leadership from Gonzaga University. I'm a field service engineer and spend well more than 50% of my time on the road.

I asked my boss about pursuing an MBA and was surprised to have gotten a tentative thumbs up. The issue I have is that I have to pursue this program 100% (or near to it) online. I'm less concerned with trying to get admitted to a Top XX school as the MBA is meant to help balance out the ORGL degree.

I've been eyeballing Western Governor's University as a possible option but I haven't been able to find much information on their reputation as a "real" school.

I'd appreciate any input folks here have to offer.