Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

waffle iron posted:

Is it pentile?
Yes, but so far a lot of reviewers have implied it's slightly different from other moto pentiles (D3, etc.) and don't seem to be bothered by it too much. I guess we'll just have to pick it up and see for ourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
The Bionic deal at Costco is just too good to pass up, but I'm not yet a member...I wonder whether I'd be able to go straight to the kiosk tomorrow, pick up a phone, and then hold on to it while I sign up for a membership?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Just got back from my local VZW Corporate store. Supervisor was saying that while they expect high demand for the bionic, he doubts they'll have supply issues there.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Ok so the rumor is $279 with the 2 year contract? I have my upgrade, I've just been waiting for it to come out. My OG Droid is on its last legs.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

Daric posted:

Ok so the rumor is $279 with the 2 year contract? I have my upgrade, I've just been waiting for it to come out. My OG Droid is on its last legs.

$279 at Costco (plus accessories), $299 at Verizon.

What accessories are you supposed to get from Costco again?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

jfreder posted:

$279 at Costco (plus accessories), $299 at Verizon.

What accessories are you supposed to get from Costco again?

You get the standard dock, car dock with rapid charger, and extra battery with battery charger.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
Cross posting from the phone recommendation thread - i'm already on a family plan and want to upgrade to a smartphone. I just have to pay the additional cost for the data and the cost of the phone. I have an upgrade to use as well.

How awesome is the Bionic? I've got a costco membership and could pick one up this weekend if they're in stock. How much better is it than the android phones at the $199 price point, like the incredible 2 or the droid 3? I guess it's not a ton of extra money upfront, so if it's really that great it'll be worth the investment.

Are motorolla phones generally safe to early adopt? is it better to wait a few months?

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

waffle iron posted:

What kind of display does the Bionic have? Is it pentile?
Topolsky reviewed it and didn't have a lot to say about the display. He mentioned getting 11 hours off the battery, which sounds same as (worse than?) the Charge:

quote:

Even though the Bionic has a larger battery than every other LTE device on Verizon, I don’t see most people getting through a full day without a recharge or a spare battery, especially if you’re making lots of calls.

I dunno, I was an Atrix hater when it dropped and I guess I'm becoming a Bionic hater. The "point" of the lovely display was supposed to be battery savings, but it's not looking like that's really the case unless the dual-core OMAP is really just hoovering that much juice. It looks like the LTE choice for now is pretty clearly raw performance (Bionic) vs. better screen (Charge).

Holding out for the Droid Prime seems prudent.

kbar fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 8, 2011

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

kalibar posted:

Topolsky reviewed it and didn't have a lot to say about the display. He mentioned getting 11 hours off the battery, which sounds same as (worse than?) the Charge:

I dunno, I was an Atrix hater when it dropped and I guess I'm becoming a Bionic hater. The "point" of the lovely display was supposed to be battery savings, but it's not looking like that's really the case unless the dual-core OMAP is really just hoovering that much juice. It looks like the LTE choice for now is pretty clearly raw performance (Bionic) vs. better screen (Charge).

I think its the LTE sucking on the battery. First gen LTE radios are bad enough the Iphone 5 probably still won't be 4g.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I think its the LTE sucking on the battery. First gen LTE radios are bad enough the Iphone 5 probably still won't be 4g.
LTE devices are obviously going to be worse off on battery than 3G devices, I don't think anyone's debating that -- it's important to compare them in the context of other dual mode LTE/CDMA devices. So far it looks like the Thunderbolt's got the worst battery, the Revolution's not really worth buying anyway so who cares, and the Charge and Bionic are pretty close. Hopefully Anand's Bionic testing will help give us something more conclusive on Bionic vs. Charge battery life.

I don't think the problem is necessarily the LTE radios. I think the problem is that you have to run two radios at the same time on LTE phones since voice, SMS, and fallback data run through the other radio. I really hope these current devices support VoLTE when it's ready (and when LTE is better-deployed) so that we can shut the CDMA radios down entirely.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

kalibar posted:

Holding out for the Droid Prime seems prudent.

Didn't Motorola engineer their own LTE radio for the Bionic? I thought that one of the reasons it was delayed was so they could build it with their more efficient radio

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Having used it for a day now, I have to say I am plesantly suprised with the UI.

BUT...I can't stand that you can't change the launcher to a vertical scroll instead of that stupid horizontal one. (or at least I can't find where to change it) I'd rather not run a 3rd party launcher, but I might have to.

The screen looks fine, I find netflix a little dark for video, but otherwise looks great. The whole pentile thing is a bit overblown IMHO, 90% of the people who bitch about it wouldn't be able to tell in a double blind test.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I just placed my order for a Bionic and it should be arriving at my office tomorrow. Finally get to ditch this BB Tour 9630 after two years and I'm really looking forward to it!

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One more benefit of buying at Costco...30 day price guarantee. So for instance, if it drops to $200 in three weeks, you can get an $80 refund. I'm surprised I'm the only one waiting in line here so far, considering how widely this promo has been making the rounds on various tech/deal sites.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Bionic is showing up for $249.99 for me on Verizon's website. Can anyone confirm the in store price?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

wandler20 posted:

Bionic is showing up for $249.99 for me on Verizon's website. Can anyone confirm the in store price?

Online price will factor in your new every two discount. Is yours still 50?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

bull3964 posted:

Showing as $299.99 for me, not logged in. $589.99 retail.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
For what it's worth, my bionic went 49 hours off the charger and it still hadn't died. There was a bunch of time on wifi and a decent amount of 4g. Not much calling but lots of browsing, texting, and email. I've had it for about a week, really liking it so far.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

bull3964 posted:

I didn't get in on the new every two, I've only been with Verizon for just over a year.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

wandler20 posted:

I didn't get in on the new every two, I've only been with Verizon for just over a year.

There is a corporate discount as well

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Marketing Shill posted:

There is a corporate discount as well

So this is probably just an online only deal? Think there is any chance the retail store will match it?

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

I've been eligible for an upgrade forever and my Storm 1 is finally looking a bit on the tired side. If I upgrade to a new Blackberry how much would I get screwed with a new plan?

My current bill has:

Nationwide Talk & Text 450 $59.99
(This version includes 5 Friends and Family)
Email & Web Unlimited $29.99
Talk & Text Plus Data $20 Disc

Total: ~$70

Presumably I can be grandfathered into the unlimited BIS plan, but what about that Talk & Text Plus Data discount?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Just called someone out on XDA for trying to pull a "total FatWallet dick move".

He's going to try to get Verizon to give him a Bionic because he's having problems with his Charge. Problems that are specific to his device (nobody else, at least not a large population of people, is complaining about the same issues). He hasn't called VZW for assistance. He hasn't taken his phone to the store to have it checked out.

He's using the Fascinate replacement program as his precedent, and his posts in the thread reek of herp derp :hurr:

gently caress I hate it when people try to abuse a legitimate program. Just makes it harder for people who legitimately have problems to get them resolved in a reasonable manner.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Picked up my Bionic this morning after driving through some lovely rain and flooded roads. I swear there was something out to get me, between roadblocks for blown transformers and downed trees, but I finally made it in 10 minutes after the Verizon store opened and grabbed the second one they had sold. Literally 10 minutes after I paid they lost power, so I guess I was fortunate after all.

Haven't had too much time to mess around with the phone, but I actually like the horizontal scrolling in the app launcher for some reason. Also it just looks and feels really really nice.

My favorite part by far is when you hit the power button to shut the screen off, the animation it does makes me all giddy every time. Hard to explain but I'm sure there are videos or something.

The store had three (two actually, the first guy bought one) of those laptop dock things that they are selling for this phone but I opted out of buying one because I don't really need it and don't have the money to spare at the moment. The guy at the store told me that they only sent out a really small supply of them and that they would be out for a while, so I'm really wondering if I should have bought one to re-sell online...oh well.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, Costco really dropped the ball on this one. When I talked to the guy in the store yesterday, he assured me they had 5 in stock, and as long as I got there early this morning, I'd get my hands on a device. So of course I'm the first person in line today, first person to the kiosk, got my purchase set up with ease...and by this time there were at least a dozen other people there for the phone, meaning most of them had to be turned away. So I got my slip, took it to the register, paid for the phone.....and then was told they didn't have them in stock yet, and wouldn't until the 13th :v:

Mind you, all 5 of us had paid for the phone before the store realized they didn't have them. We all had to be refunded, and were told we were poo poo out of luck, and that they wouldn't hold the phones for us when they received them, and we'd just have to try again on the 13th.

Fortunately, one of the other 5 guys raised such a huge stink about it that the store manager ultimately agreed to reserve the phones for us. So when they get their entire stock of Bionics in on the 13th, they'll already be spoken for.

The guy at the Verizon kiosk was pissed, and looked like he was about to have a nervous breakdown when a Costco employee came and wheeled away his big pallet display for the phone.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Made arrangements to get over to Costco this morning... I'm only going to be there 15 minutes or so before opening so if a bunch of human being nerds decide to camp there I'm gonna be SOL. :v:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

doctor thodt posted:

Man, Costco really dropped the ball on this one.
That's pretty hosed up. I saw the bit about not being in until the 13th in a PCMag article that was linked on Google News, but didn't know what to make of it as it was the first time I've seen such a reference.

Plus, wouldn't it have been mentioned to the folks who called stores about it yesterday?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That's pretty hosed up. I saw the bit about not being in until the 13th in a PCMag article that was linked on Google News, but didn't know what to make of it as it was the first time I've seen such a reference.

Plus, wouldn't it have been mentioned to the folks who called stores about it yesterday?

Literally as I was reading this post, I got a call from someone at Costco saying their boss "pulled some strings" and they just got the phones. Heh :cool:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I was the first in to my costco this morning. They didn't have them even though they were expecting them before the store opened.

They did arrive by 10:50 though and I snagged the first one. There were 3 others in line behind me. They got 6. They were expecting an additional 9 on friday or sat.

I haven't even had a chance to enter my gmail stuff yet because I'm at work so I really can't give any impressions other than it's a lot thinner and a lot lighter than i was expecting.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
It's probably too late for this unless you live on the west coast, but FYI: Costcos start letting people in about 15 minutes prior to their scheduled open time. I got there at around 9:55 AM (opens at 10) and there were already 5 people inside waiting to get the phone, I got the last one.

First impressions: extremely light for its size. Very, very fast.

Also, this is my first Android phone. What apps are must-haves?

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Every King needs his jester
I can't quite tell from different reviews, but is it a world phone or no? Engadget says yes, random other sites say no

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

kalicki posted:

I can't quite tell from different reviews, but is it a world phone or no? Engadget says yes, random other sites say no

The Verizon employee told me that you have voice/data anywhere in the world that has 4G LTE. Otherwise no, it's not a world phone.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Pron on VHS posted:

The Verizon employee told me that you have voice/data anywhere in the world that has 4G LTE. Otherwise no, it's not a world phone.

Its not listed as Global Capable on Verizon's site. It doesn't have GSM radios squeezed in there.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
My only complaint thus far is that it didn't come with a full charge. I have a full class day :negative:

Other than that its pretty sweet, slight learning curve coming off Sense.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I hope the verizon stores in my city still have some :ohdear:

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Every King needs his jester

Pron on VHS posted:

Well, he's that just isn't true on LTE roaming given that there's like 12 different frequencies or something, so not sure I'd believe him really

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Athenry posted:

Its not listed as Global Capable on Verizon's site. It doesn't have GSM radios squeezed in there.

Yeah. Early drafts of the manual list the world radios, but I think they were cribbed from the Droid3 manual. The Bionic does not have GSM radios, it is not a world phone.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Pentile is bothering me a lot more than I thought it would. It's very glaring when you put it up next to a iPhone 4 or Atrix. Other than that, pretty nice phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

serewit posted:

Pentile is bothering me a lot more than I thought it would. It's very glaring when you put it up next to a iPhone 4 or Atrix. Other than that, pretty nice phone.

Atrix has a pentile display just like the Bionic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

bull3964 posted:

Atrix has a pentile display just like the Bionic.

Thus illustrating the bias effect for mobile displays. I can't really tell the difference.

• Locked thread