Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Thus illustrating the bias effect for mobile displays. I can't really tell the difference.

Neither can I. I actually think it looks better than my OD Droid display. Black levels are excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

bull3964 posted:

Atrix has a pentile display just like the Bionic.

Really? Maybe it's the larger display size then, because the 'pixellation' effect is more prominent on the Bionic, even in a side-by-side comparison.

It looks fine if you hold it out a bit from your face, though.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I'm on an unlimited text plan with a LG Octane. If I look at my sent/received data, it's something like 182kb when I'm fairly certain that I haven't done anything even remotely related to the data plan.

I HAVE however sent a couple picture texts, which should be included in the plan. Do picture texts still show as data used but just have no charge?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
To me, the difference is glaringly obvious between the display on the Bionic and the display on my Droid 2 Global or OG Droid. The pentile matrix is very clearly visible to me (20/20 vision) unless I hold the phone with my arm completely outstretched - and the closer I hold it to my face, the more profound and intrusive the matrix appears. It's definitely the biggest drawback after no physical keyboard, and will take some getting used to, but I don't see it as a deal-breaker. Otherwise, loving the device so far.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 8, 2011

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

serewit posted:

Really? Maybe it's the larger display size then, because the 'pixellation' effect is more prominent on the Bionic, even in a side-by-side comparison.

It looks fine if you hold it out a bit from your face, though.

Perhaps, I think the Droid X2's display got a lot more complaints than the Droid 3's. Personally, if I'm looking, I can see the problems. But in day to day usage, they don't come up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I don't think the whole pentile thing comes down to visual acuity. I'm 19/20 (better than average) in my left eye and 20/20 in my right eye and I don't see any glaring issues with the display. Yes, if you fixate on white/black transitions, some are a bit jaggie, but to me it's not something you see unless you specifically look for it.

I am, however, very red deficient (colorblind), so I'm not sure if that factors in at all.

I still can't believe how fast this thing is, especially in the market. Search, select, download, and install are all drat near instantaneous actions.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I'm playing around with the Bionic and I've noticed it came with a bunch of installed apps that I will probably never use, like the Blockbuster one. I can't seem to delete them, am I just not doing it right or are these stuck on my phone?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Pron on VHS posted:

I'm playing around with the Bionic and I've noticed it came with a bunch of installed apps that I will probably never use, like the Blockbuster one. I can't seem to delete them, am I just not doing it right or are these stuck on my phone?

You have to root to uninstall anything that's in /system

This is the poo poo part about Verizon. You buy a top of the line phone, and they still load it up with crapware as though you bought a bottom of the barrel Dell laptop or something.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

Most third-party launchers let you hide apps from the drawer, but you have to root to permanently remove them. I think there's a workaround for Blur devices to hide certain apps in the stock launcher, but someone with a Moto device will have to provide more details there.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
There's so much of this useless software on the Bionic, holy hell.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Some stuff you can uninstall. The stock launcher that comes with it allows you to create groups to hide what you don't care about.

In case anyone was wondering, it appears the app partition is 4gb on this phone. That's one of the largest I think I've seen.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I can take this to the Android app thread if it's off topic, but for example, I see that the Bionic has Google Maps + Navigation already installed on it, which is great...but it also has another app called VZ Navigator that, well, also provides maps and navigation.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Just called someone out on XDA for trying to pull a "total FatWallet dick move".

It's really sad how fast XDA has fallen. I used to browse that site constantly when I was using Windows Mobile back in the day.

Now I've pretty much completely abandoned it in favor of Rootzwiki.

Pron on VHS posted:

There's so much of this useless software on the Bionic, holy hell.

This can be said every VZW Android phone since the original Droid X.

I also caution about uninstalling/freezing stuff. When I had my Droid X, unless you had the bloatware installed, it wouldn't OTA update properly.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 8, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Pron on VHS posted:

I can take this to the Android app thread if it's off topic, but for example, I see that the Bionic has Google Maps + Navigation already installed on it, which is great...but it also has another app called VZ Navigator that, well, also provides maps and navigation.

Hence why people call it useless bloatware. They just sit there and don't do anything other than take up space generally luckily. Honestly creating a custom app list for things you'll use is your best (only?) bet aside from rooting. Only downside is having to add newly installed apps to that list manually.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
So is the pentile matrix why everything looks like it has a diagonal crosshatch pattern to me? I like the rest of the phone but if the Prime comes out soon with a screen that doesn't look that strange then I'll probably exchange for it.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

The difference is that Google Nav is free (well, it counts against your data allowance if you have one), while VZ Navigator costs $10 a month. I think you can also get a day pass for $3.

In other words, use Google.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Pron on VHS posted:

If you're comfortable doing so (and it really isn't that difficult), there's already a root process for the Bionic apparently. You can then rename/freeze those apps and they'll be effectively removed.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Cicero posted:

So is the pentile matrix why everything looks like it has a diagonal crosshatch pattern to me? I like the rest of the phone but if the Prime comes out soon with a screen that doesn't look that strange then I'll probably exchange for it.

Am I the only one who doesn't notice anything strange about the display? I feel like I'm missing out.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't notice anything strange about the display? I feel like I'm missing out.

Yeah seems fine to me. Maybe if i wasn't coming from an ancient OG Droid I would notice something, but all I am noticing is awesome.

Costco wouldn't sell me one full retail, they can only do contract upgrades which is lame, had to go to the verizon store.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesus loving christ what a pain in the rear end cotsco was, took like an hour for the poo poo to arrive after opening, and then another hour for them to process us.. I ended up taking like a 2.5 hour lunch. Hopefully I don't get too much poo poo for it.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Eltoasto posted:

Yeah seems fine to me. Maybe if i wasn't coming from an ancient OG Droid I would notice something, but all I am noticing is awesome.

Costco wouldn't sell me one full retail, they can only do contract upgrades which is lame, had to go to the verizon store.

Did the store cut you any deals? I know when I purchased my Thunderbolt DX from them still in contract, they gave me the 1 year pricing as long as I purchased 3 accessories.

Edit: Since they got rid of 1 year pricing, I highly doubt it :v:

JayKay fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 8, 2011

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

Cicero posted:

Yeah, that's it. That's the reason I'm kind of pissed at Motorola, tbh. I was going to buy a Droid 3 at launch if not for Pentile, and instead, I've been sitting on my upgrade waiting for Verizon to give me a decent alternative. Which ... hasn't happened yet, and based on the year-end road map, I'm not sure it's going to happen at all.

I know people in this thread keep rolling their eyes about people sperging, but if someone actually can see a noticeable difference, then that's an important consideration. You're not going to notice the distinction between a dual-core and a single-core most of the time you're playing a game, but the screen is something you look at every time you use the phone.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

slackerbitch posted:

Yeah, that's it. That's the reason I'm kind of pissed at Motorola, tbh. I was going to buy a Droid 3 at launch if not for Pentile, and instead, I've been sitting on my upgrade waiting for Verizon to give me a decent alternative. Which ... hasn't happened yet, and based on the year-end road map, I'm not sure it's going to happen at all.

I know people in this thread keep rolling their eyes about people sperging, but if someone actually can see a noticeable difference, then that's an important consideration. You're not going to notice the distinction between a dual-core and a single-core most of the time you're playing a game, but the screen is something you look at every time you use the phone.

Sounds like the only choice that would make you happy than is leaving verizon. Good luck!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Costco was nice enough to give me an extra 4G SIM card in case something happened to mine. He told me that Verizon has been having issues on and off where certain situations may arise that might permanently deactivate the SIM, so he gave me an extra just in case. So, I'll just be able to call up and activate the new sim rather than go to a store for a replacement.

I still can't get over how fast this thing is in the market. It puts my coworker's Evo 4G to complete and utter shame in that regard. I can get an app downloaded and INSTALLED before they manage to get results back from the search.

Unaccounted
Jul 13, 2007
#nthing the sentiments regarding the pentile display, myself coming from a Droid 2 Global, however I compared it side-by-side to the X2 and it did look noticeably better. I picked it up anyhow, because there's a lot to love, and am giving myself the return period to decide where I stand on the issue.
So, I'm also #nthing the recommendation for anyone who's anal about pentile wait for the upcoming devices, but if you're on the fence, go check it out.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

slackerbitch posted:

I've been sitting on my upgrade waiting for Verizon to give me a decent alternative. Which ... hasn't happened yet, and based on the year-end road map, I'm not sure it's going to happen at all.

You don't think the HTC Vigor or Droid Prime might be decent alternatives? You must have some pretty lofty standards.

Funnily enough, after I got my phone activated today, the guy at the Costco kiosk said something along the lines of "You seem like a cool guy, so I'm gonna let you in on a little secret - if something better comes out in the next 3 months, just exchange it, hassle-free."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's not much of a secret. That's their standard 90 day return policy that's in huge letters on the wall behind them. The guy also pointed it out to me as well with the agreement I signed. That's one of the reasons why I bought at Costco besides the accessories, if something better comes out in 3 months I can walk in and exchange.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know. I just thought it was funny because earlier in the thread some people were intimating that doing such a thing would be scamming Costco, and here the employee was outright encouraging me to do it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

doctor thodt posted:

I know. I just thought it was funny because earlier in the thread some people were intimating that doing such a thing would be scamming Costco, and here the employee was outright encouraging me to do it.

Heh, yeah. It's not much of a scam when one of the reasons Costco gives on their website is "If I don't like my phone, can I get a new one."

Having something significantly better than your current phone coming out can make you not like it really quick.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

doctor thodt posted:

You don't think the HTC Vigor or Droid Prime might be decent alternatives? You must have some pretty lofty standards.

Not especially, I just really want a physical keyboard. Verizon's kb offerings are slim -- last year's phone (Stratosphere/Droid 2) or Pentile (Droid 3).

It's looking increasingly like I'm going to have to either compromise on that point, or leave Verizon. I'm reluctant to do the latter, since I'm grandfathered in under unlimited data, so instead I bitch and moan.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Isn't there a version of the epic that is coming out on Verizon?

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Codiusprime posted:

There is, that's the Stratosphere. The last I heard, nobody knows yet if they beefed up the internals or not, or if it's literally just last year's Sprint phone with an LTE radio bolted on.

I'm still rocking my dying OG droid, so I'm afraid of getting something behind the curve that won't be future proof. This thing is cranky as gently caress.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Codiusprime posted:

That's the stratosphere. Single core.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
^^^^^^
Yea, like I said I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot poll but I got over the keyboard criteria when I realized they were on the way out/would probably always compromise on something.

slackerbitch posted:

There is, that's the Stratosphere. The last I heard, nobody knows yet if they beefed up the internals or not, or if it's literally just last year's Sprint phone with an LTE radio bolted on.

I'm still rocking my dying OG droid, so I'm afraid of getting something behind the curve that won't be future proof. This thing is cranky as gently caress.

Dude wants a keyboard, just a matter of if he wants it more than unlimited 4G. I wouldn't touch a variation of any SGS American variant but my priorities are a little different.

Though my dream phone is basically a bionic with no pentile and a keyboard, but I've accepted the harsh reality.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 8, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

slackerbitch posted:

Not especially, I just really want a physical keyboard. ... It's looking increasingly like I'm going to have to either compromise on that point, or leave Verizon.
But where would you go?

The MT4G Slide is pretty darn decent, better spec'd than the Droid 3. But that's the only other option. Sprint's hardware keyboard options are 2010-era devices that are either buggy-as-poo poo post GB upgrade (Shift), or from the get-go (Epic).

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

slackerbitch posted:

Not especially, I just really want a physical keyboard. Verizon's kb offerings are slim -- last year's phone (Stratosphere/Droid 2) or Pentile (Droid 3).

It's looking increasingly like I'm going to have to either compromise on that point, or leave Verizon. I'm reluctant to do the latter, since I'm grandfathered in under unlimited data, so instead I bitch and moan.

A Samsung phone with a keyboard and 4g bands recently went through FCC certification. Stratosphere I think? Rumor has it it's heading for Verizon.

E;fb

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!
There's a Costco within an hour of me by metro but I work long hours this week and want to be sure there

a) is a mobile kiosk there
b) are at least a few bionics in stock before I make the journey out

Their phone system doesn't have an extension for a mobile kiosk... am i boned? do they even take calls about this kind of thing?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Dumb, at both retail stores here they want $689.99 for the Bionic off contract. It's $589.99 online. Neither could explain why they jacked the price up $100.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I know a lot of us were reading about the Nexus Prime info and saw it is supposed to have a SuperAMOLED 720p screen. Did you all read the part where phonearena, Droid life, et al said that Samsung only got such a high resolution screen by going back to the PenTile matrix?

I personally find pentile screens annoying since I used a Fascinate. I wouldn'tt go so far as to call the screen a deal breaker though. Text still looks a little weird to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
If I order online, what are the chances I get it tomorrow if I pick priority shipping?

• Locked thread