Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

SynthOrange posted:

For me, it's always that wooden door creak. It's everywhere. Cartoons, games, cop drama, sci-fi, horror. Everywhere.

It's the door of the TARDIS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Human Revolution is pretty much strictly better than AP in every single gameplay category you can name.

Melee combat :dukedog:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Having bought this during the Steam sale and never played it, I'm coming at it from 2 playthroughs of DXHR, which while different is certainly in the same genre.

I can put up with a lot of the polish issues, but I'm getting periodic hiccups that inevitably wind up spinning me 180 degrees as it apparently continues my mouse input during each lagged frame or whatever.

Also, my regular sensitivity is quite low (to the point where it's almost an issue) but the first time I jumped on a turret it was wildly ramped up to the point where I could hardly aim.

I'm assuming the only solution to this is to plug in a 360 controller? :(

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Sigma-X posted:

Having bought this during the Steam sale and never played it, I'm coming at it from 2 playthroughs of DXHR, which while different is certainly in the same genre.

I can put up with a lot of the polish issues, but I'm getting periodic hiccups that inevitably wind up spinning me 180 degrees as it apparently continues my mouse input during each lagged frame or whatever.

Also, my regular sensitivity is quite low (to the point where it's almost an issue) but the first time I jumped on a turret it was wildly ramped up to the point where I could hardly aim.

I'm assuming the only solution to this is to plug in a 360 controller? :(

I've had that happen as well, but I don't recall how I fixed it. Have you tried everything in the OP and such?

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

Turn motion blur off in Options>Video

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fag Boy Jim posted:

That shows up in sci-fi shows and movies all the time, I'm thinking Doom had to have lifted it from somewhere itself.

This guy figured out which stock sound library Doom used, as well as what modifications (if any) were made to the source sounds. He then created a high-resolution sound pack.

As it turns out, almost everything in Doom is straight-up lifted from a stock library with some pitch changes here and there.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Human Revolution is pretty much strictly better than AP in every single gameplay category you can name.

I honestly prefer a lot of AP's stealth stuff better. I find a lot of DX:HR's AI detection errs on the side of BS especially on higher difficulties, and between the complete pointlessness of the lethal options, and the ridiculous reliance on chowing down candy bars to punch more than one person in a row, it gets kind of stupid. AP's stealth is way overpowered in comparison, but at least I can feel more like a badass in there instead of a dumbass. I do wish AP had body dragging though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

After playing HR a lot more, I actually prefer AP's leveling up. Attaching xp to each individual thing in HR is doing really, really bad things for my OCD as I scour every inch of a level for xp bonuses and try lure guards into double takedowns. I'd rather complete a level anyway I want and get rewarded at the end. The other way just triggers the completionist in me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Every time I talked to someone in HR I wished I was playing AP.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Scorchy posted:

I honestly prefer a lot of AP's stealth stuff better. I find a lot of DX:HR's AI detection errs on the side of BS especially on higher difficulties, and between the complete pointlessness of the lethal options, and the ridiculous reliance on chowing down candy bars to punch more than one person in a row, it gets kind of stupid. AP's stealth is way overpowered in comparison, but at least I can feel more like a badass in there instead of a dumbass. I do wish AP had body dragging though.

This

Doctor Spaceman posted:

and this pretty much sums up my experience with DX:HR. Frankly I think I would have enjoyed the game a lot more if Alpha Protocol hadn't completely spoiled me with its conversations and ridiculously overpowered (and fun) stealth takedowns.

In fact, without realising it I played DX:HR exactly as I used to play AP (to the extent that it was possible), and production value differences aside, I enjoyed AP a lot more overall. Don't get me wrong, HR was a very good game, way more polished than AP, but in the areas that really matter to me, it just felt less engaging.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I sort of had that reaction. I wished HR's convo system was more like AP's (which is far and away the best thing about that game) but I wouldn't do a full swap, because HR's system has some undeniable strong points that AP's doesn't. If you took AP's convo system and grafted HR's best elements onto it, you'd have something like a perfect system, in my eyes at least. Fast-paced, branching, but with a randomly designated win condition that the player has to intuit.

Having that sort of random win condition also would have made checkpoint saving unnecessary, but woulda shoulda coulda and all that. With the amount of resources they had Obsidian did as well as they possibly could.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

thepopstalinist posted:

I sort of had that reaction. I wished HR's convo system was more like AP's (which is far and away the best thing about that game) but I wouldn't do a full swap, because HR's system has some undeniable strong points that AP's doesn't. If you took AP's convo system and grafted HR's best elements onto it, you'd have something like a perfect system, in my eyes at least. Fast-paced, branching, but with a randomly designated win condition that the player has to intuit.
Wouldn't a 'win' condition go against the very philosophy of the dialogue in AP, which was basically 'There is no wrong path'? I haven't played DX:HR, but from what I hear, those dialogues are basically the Speech checks of New Vegas but under the guise of an interesting mini-game. It goes hand in hand with the design of multiple paths of the game, but I'm not sure it would work for AP. Sure, sometimes you can avoid/trigger a confrontation with the right choice of words, but it's often a clear-cut choice made available to the player based on his previous actions. For example, don't bother to improve your standing with Surkov, and he will sic Championchik on you and try to escape, but he can also offer you an alliance if he respects you enough. As for Marburg, insult him with a low enough reputation, and he will come after you instead of fleeing. All consequences of past actions rather than 'win' situations.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

thepopstalinist posted:

With the amount of resources they had Obsidian did as well as they possibly could.

Eh...

Saying this makes it sound like we didn't make big mistakes, and we absolutely did. Big ones. There was certainly a time that we were making the best game that we could, but there were other times that making the best game we could meant making certain choices; choices that didn't get made until well after they would have been effective.

I appreciate the nice words, though.

PS: Don't mistake what I'm saying as dissing my former employees and colleagues. I think everyone involved recognizes what I just said is true, and that it's also something we learned a lot from.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

X_Toad posted:

Wouldn't a 'win' condition go against the very philosophy of the dialogue in AP, which was basically 'There is no wrong path'? I haven't played DX:HR, but from what I hear, those dialogues are basically the Speech checks of New Vegas but under the guise of an interesting mini-game. It goes hand in hand with the design of multiple paths of the game, but I'm not sure it would work for AP. Sure, sometimes you can avoid/trigger a confrontation with the right choice of words, but it's often a clear-cut choice made available to the player based on his previous actions. For example, don't bother to improve your standing with Surkov, and he will sic Championchik on you and try to escape, but he can also offer you an alliance if he respects you enough. As for Marburg, insult him with a low enough reputation, and he will come after you instead of fleeing. All consequences of past actions rather than 'win' situations.

The system in HR is a persuasion game, yes, you are trying to get people to do what you want. Essentially the same exists in AP, it's just that there are more things you can get them to do. It's a matter of scope, partially. AP wound up being "the game where you can talk to all these dudes and it's all super reactive". That's clearly not what HR is trying to do, and good on them. The games have a different focus.

(This is where I get snarky and say, "Their focus was on making a game that's actually fun." but that's just me being snarky.)

In HR the conversations are more like conversational boss battles. Yeah, there's totally a goal and you are going for it. But even if you fail, that's just one path to your goal. I don't think any of them are mandatory. And it's not like AP doesn't have optimal paths either. It's entirely possible to split the difference with Marburg and neither get him to challenge you or to ally with you.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Scorchy posted:

The lethal option in Deus Ex 3 isn't just pointless, it seems to be actively counterproductive since it tends to harm your chances at earning that exp bonus. Also I would love to have a silenced pistol capable of super-accurate blindfire round-the-corner headshots in Deus Ex 3...

That said, being able to abuse reloads when I screw up hacking computers and unlocking doors is nice.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

In HR the conversations are more like conversational boss battles.
Some of them are, and they're by far the best conversations in HR (the animation quality improves too).

I just found myself annoyed that Jensen was saying things I didn't want him too, which happened far less with Thorton.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
What style should I use for my next playthrough? I've already done the professional, stealthy pacifist and psychopath rear end in a top hat with a shotgun. I was thinking about a slimy James Bond type with pistols and sub-machineguns.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

E: wrong thread

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mike_V posted:

What style should I use for my next playthrough? I've already done the professional, stealthy pacifist and psychopath rear end in a top hat with a shotgun. I was thinking about a slimy James Bond type with pistols and sub-machineguns.

James Bond type is fun to contrast with Bioware games where being a Whedonesque quipping douchebag will get everyone to like you.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mike_V posted:

aka the Sterling Archer approach. It's hilarious.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mike_V posted:

Non Stop Suave.

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

In Training posted:

Non Stop Suave.

Wake me up if you do anything scandalous.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I'm really glad I chose a James Bond type. I didn't mess with gadgets my first play through, but setting traps is really fun. Set an incendiary grenade and use the noise machine and watch terrorists catch on fire.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Lots of pistol skill = mega chain shot = everyone gets a bullet in the face. Sometimes more than one!

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Dick Trauma posted:

Lots of pistol skill = mega chain shot = everyone gets a bullet in the face. Sometimes more than one!

The annoying thing is that you can't end chain shot early, so once you get your skill in it up a bit, you have to let several real-time seconds pass while guys shoot you in slow-mo or you have to waste some bullets to force it to end.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

:rant:

I would say I agree with you, for the most part. The levels in DXHR feel more like I'm playing a game I like between the cool conversations, not just kinda dealing with them one point from the next. It also seems weird that the game where I play a superhuman cyborg has more realistic damage values, and a less absurdly overpowered cloaking mechanism.

This is coming from someone who liked the poo poo out of Alpha Protocol, too. And yes, AP still has much better writing.

Also, this is unrelated, but Comte, I gotta ask: you seem to have no end of anecdotes and tidbits about your former employers, but after you got laid off, did you find work with another developer? You seemed to do a large amount of work on AP and it seems like you have a fair amount of experience. What's the deal?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

404notfound posted:

The annoying thing is that you can't end chain shot early, so once you get your skill in it up a bit, you have to let several real-time seconds pass while guys shoot you in slow-mo or you have to waste some bullets to force it to end.

Actually, you can. Someone posted the key in this thread (or maybe in the previous one). If I had to guess, I'd say it was E. But of course, this key wasn't documented in the game at all, so almost nobody knows about it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I think that only works in the unpatched version

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Got this game yesterday, GameStop employee came up behind me while I had the game in my hand and was still browsing for something to get along with it.
He tells me "Don't even bother with Alpha Protocol."
I ask him, "Why?"
To which he responds, "It's horrible."
I just kind of said something that was the equivalent of OK and he went back behind the counter.
And then he started raving about Dead Island to some other customer.
I went back home with this game and I didn't stop playing it for six hours. It's amazing, perks constantly reward you, unlike games that dump piles of XP on you and render the whole purpose of an RPG meaningless by allowing you to max practically everything out. The way characters react to Thorton is incredible, you feel like you're speaking to actual people and it's really something to see that kind of dynamic interactivity in a videogame. It makes Mass Effect look like a child's toy.
Honestly, while the gameplay is janky, it's no worse than Mass Effect.

From what I hear of Dead Island, its launch has been supposedly even worse of a travesty than the bugginess of Alpha Protocol at launch and even the console version is an unpolished mess with janky gameplay. And it's a Borderlands reskin apparently.

Lesson to all gamers: GameStop employees are retarded, also they probably haven't played a tenth of the games they supposedly report as being crap. (Everyone knows this already)

Best $20 I've spent in awhile.

EDIT: I don't know what you guys are talking about saying the stealth is better in Alpha Protocol than it is in DX:HR because I feel like the stealth in Alpha Protocol is about on par with 1998 standards, That being said, it's definitely not the reason to play the game.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Sep 8, 2011

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

JebanyPedal posted:

EDIT: I don't know what you guys are talking about saying the stealth is better in Alpha Protocol than it is in DX:HR because I feel like the stealth in Alpha Protocol is about on par with 1998 standards, That being said, it's definitely not the reason to play the game.

I like Alpha Protocol's stealth better because it doesn't take 20 minutes per room.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

THE PWNER posted:

I like Alpha Protocol's stealth better because it doesn't take 20 minutes per room.

Yeah okay, you like it better, but I really hope no one's saying that AP's stealth "is" better when it has horrible AI and not half the available methods present in Deus Ex to actually perform stealthily.
The main reason why I think it's pointless to compare them however, mechanically at least, is because AP treats it as an RPG (trying to stealth without anything in the stealth skills is insanely difficult judging by the differences in doing Saudi Arabia with a Spy type character and then a dumbass Recruit) and Deus Ex: Human Revolution treats it more as skill based stealth, more like Thief, less like Baldur's Gate.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Wolfsheim posted:

Also, this is unrelated, but Comte, I gotta ask: you seem to have no end of anecdotes and tidbits about your former employers, but after you got laid off, did you find work with another developer? You seemed to do a large amount of work on AP and it seems like you have a fair amount of experience. What's the deal?

I went back to school, but I'm done this winter so I'm starting the job hunt back up again.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I went back to school, but I'm done this winter so I'm starting the job hunt back up again.

But I thought the only way to get out of Ninja/International Super-Spy school was to defeat your master in single combat? In all seriousness, good luck.

Been aching to go back to this after DX but at the same time I've got a feeling I want to diversify some, look at some of those RPGs that never got conversations or story right so I can appreciate this some more, after playing it to death a while back. (126 hours played can do that to a man).

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
That gelato shop sequence had me laughing. It seemed like every single stage of conversation has the option to EXECUTE!

"How are you?"

EXECUTE!

"What do you want?"

EXECUTE!

"Oh ok, here's what you were interested in."

EXECUTE!

P.S. I did not execute. Am I a bad secret agent?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Dick Trauma posted:

That gelato shop sequence had me laughing. It seemed like every single stage of conversation has the option to EXECUTE!

There's something like this in Mass Effect 2 which is similarly fun. An enemy is ranting at you for about a minute or so, all the while you have a flashing icon just begging to be pressed that will kill him when you do so.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

There's something like this in Mass Effect 2 which is similarly fun. An enemy is ranting at you for about a minute or so, all the while you have a flashing icon just begging to be pressed that will kill him when you do so.

And every few seconds the camera will cut to the giant fuel tank beneath the platform he's standing on.

I did not do it as Paragon DudeShep and felt nothing but shame. Renegade FemShep fixed that.

... Didn't kill the gelato guy though, I just couldn't decide whether he was legit or not.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Satanos posted:

... Didn't kill the gelato guy though, I just couldn't decide whether he was legit or not.

Well, I didn't kill him, and he gave me a free gelato.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Satanos posted:

Try not giving him the code phrase next time.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
I killed him and it was lorded over me the entire game :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

Satanos posted:

Do a Veteran run and pay close attention at the very start.

• Locked thread