Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

LaptopGun posted:

I know a lot of us were reading about the Nexus Prime info and saw it is supposed to have a SuperAMOLED 720p screen. Did you all read the part where phonearena, Droid life, et al said that Samsung only got such a high resolution screen by going back to the PenTile matrix?

I personally find pentile screens annoying since I used a Fascinate. I wouldn'tt go so far as to call the screen a deal breaker though. Text still looks a little weird to me.

Yea, we talked about it. Im sure someone can explain fully but I think the idea was that at that PPI it wouldn't matter. Im not sure though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

^ ^ ^ EDIT: PenTile will still matter, but a practical reduction in resolution isn't as big a deal at 720p because you'll still have more usable real estate than non-PenTile 540x960 and WVGA devices. Of course, when a future non-PenTile 720p display hits, that will be the superior choice. But for now, we'll take anything.

Unaccounted posted:

So, I'm also #nthing the recommendation for anyone who's anal about pentile wait for the upcoming devices, but if you're on the fence, go check it out.
Really the only time I've got a problem with is when I'm reading text. I like keeping the text pretty small to fit more on the screen (and to actually take advantage of modern niceties like 540x960 displays), but the PenTile pattern makes it pretty impossible to read small text because it gets all janky. You basically have to zoom in further for text to be readable, and you effectively end up with less usable real estate than you'd have on a 480x800 display without PenTile.

kbar fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 9, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

tismondo posted:

There's a Costco within an hour of me by metro but I work long hours this week and want to be sure there

a) is a mobile kiosk there
b) are at least a few bionics in stock before I make the journey out

Their phone system doesn't have an extension for a mobile kiosk... am i boned? do they even take calls about this kind of thing?

I'm sure if you get through to their general CS department, they would be able to at least tell if you if they have a kiosk. They would probably be able to get the phone number for you.

It won't be an extension because they don't work for costco, they simply sell phones inside it. So, they would have their own dedicated line.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

wandler20 posted:

Dumb, at both retail stores here they want $689.99 for the Bionic off contract. It's $589.99 online. Neither could explain why they jacked the price up $100.

Costco or VZW Corporate Store?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

JayKay posted:

Costco or VZW Corporate Store?

Neither, we just have those independent retail stores here. That's probably why, crooks.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
So I said gently caress waiting until Monday, I went and picked one up. I'm coming from a Fascinate and I don't know why everyone is bitching about the screen, it looks just fine on the Bionic.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
The screen on the Bionic is pretty good, at least from my hands on time with one of my store's demos. Text is still a little less than perfect but its a good screen.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
God SHUT UP about pentile screens. It makes 0 difference. Would you go for something that could be samsung fascinate-esque if it had a pretty screen? NO. Go for the good phone even if you can't get your nerd boner up over the slight lack in detail.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

what are you even saying here

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Bob A Feet posted:

God SHUT UP about pentile screens. It makes 0 difference. Would you go for something that could be samsung fascinate-esque if it had a pretty screen? NO. Go for the good phone even if you can't get your nerd boner up over the slight lack in detail.
Yeah guys something that makes everything look like it has an extra texture on top of it and makes every edge look jagged makes ZERO DIFFERENCE ok!
:goonsay:

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Sorry, what would you rather us discuss? Philosophy? Some politics maybe?

How about you shut up, and we will continue to discuss things that interest us. And once again, just because it doesn't bother you...

I found the pentile screen on my Fascinate to be less pentileish than the one on my X2. I wonder why that is? I mean, I wonder if it's just me.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Codiusprime posted:

Sorry, what would you rather us discuss? Philosophy? Some politics maybe?

How about you shut up, and we will continue to discuss things that interest us. And once again, just because it doesn't bother you...

I found the pentile screen on my Fascinate to be less pentileish than the one on my X2. I wonder why that is? I mean, I wonder if it's just me.
It really depends on the pixels per inch (ppi) and at what distance the phone is from your eyes. A higher ppi display should mean that it's less noticeable. The Fascinate is 233 and the Bionic is 256.

Edit: It also depends on how good your eyesight is. The X2 is 228 ppi.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I caved and walked into a corp store and bought one. The bitching about the screen is stupid. It looks pretty amazing to me. However I did get my first reboot, happened while on a call but I imagine it's because I was installing poo poo from the janky amazon market.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
The screen reminds me of the effect you would get with ye olde 16 and 256 color systems where they would interpolate the colors they had to try and get colors that were 'in between'.

PS - if you can't see it, that doesn't somehow invalidate others' complaints. I can't see 3D very well but that doesn't mean that the effect isn't cool for other people.

Edit2 - It's nearly invisible some places and blatantly obvious others. For example, the yellow areas of my avatar make the effect really stand out.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 9, 2011

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does this "IM" app that comes with the bionic use text messages or something stupid like that? I like the simple interface but I want to be sure I'm not wasting texts. Since this is an obscure question I'm testing it myself and will update later.

Dr Dskie
May 16, 2008
Has anyone played with the Bionic enough to comment on the battery life?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Dr Dskie posted:

Has anyone played with the Bionic enough to comment on the battery life?

There really hasn't been enough time to comment yet. I know I'm playing with mine a ton and have downloaded about 500mb over LTE today. Once batteries get calibrated and people settle into normal use patterns, then people will get a better feel for it.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

waffle iron posted:

It really depends on the pixels per inch (ppi) and at what distance the phone is from your eyes. A higher ppi display should mean that it's less noticeable. The Fascinate is 233 and the Bionic is 256.

Edit: It also depends on how good your eyesight is. The X2 is 228 ppi.

I have perfect close, but im not going to begin to claim that I can see that difference in PPI. Im sure it's a combination of all the other factors you mentioned.

Im wondering what the dpi will be on the Nexus Prime/Samsung Galaxy Prime/Samsung Galaxy Nexus/Droid Prime? I would imagine pretty high.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

ExcessBLarg! posted:

But where would you go?

The MT4G Slide is pretty darn decent, better spec'd than the Droid 3. But that's the only other option. Sprint's hardware keyboard options are 2010-era devices that are either buggy-as-poo poo post GB upgrade (Shift), or from the get-go (Epic).

That's my problem, right there. I was probably the only person who was actually happy when they leaked that AT&T slider that everyone thought was the SGSII.

I looked at the MT4G but haven't been able to pull the trigger; possibly just all the uncertainty about how the possible AT&T/T-mo merger will fall out, and possibly that I've heard varying reports about T-Mo's coverage, especially in rural areas.

I'm probably going to end up not getting a keyboard, since it seems like almost nobody's making high-end phones that have them at this point. (I get why, since most people don't use or like them and would rather have a thinner phone to boot. I'm kind of an oddity at this point, it seems.)

Codiusprime posted:

The X2 is way more noticeable than the Droid 3, as well. The X2 had flatter colors and sharper jaggedy edges.

waffle iron posted:

It really depends on the pixels per inch (ppi) and at what distance the phone is from your eyes.

You know, this is probably part of my problem, too? I use my phone very, very close up so that I don't need my glasses on for it. (Horrifically near-sighted.)

spacing in vienna fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 9, 2011

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I ran the numbers from the rumored Droid Prime specs (4.6 inches with a 720p) and it would be would be around 319. Which is pretty close to the iPhone 4.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Slackerbitch and ExcessBlarg!, we should start a militant pro-keyboard group or something. The infidels must be taught.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Codiusprime posted:

Slackerbitch and ExcessBlarg!, we should start a militant pro-keyboard group or something. The infidels must be taught.
:( Sorry about you'are keyboard hangups.

Nah I'm just being a dick. I'd probably be interested in a keyboard too if it didn't mean an awkward form factor and a ton of added thickness.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy
PEBKAO: Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Oh that's right you didn't loving include one because you hate us so we decided to bomb your office

okay the name could use some work

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

kalibar posted:

:( Sorry about you'are keyboard hangups.

Nah I'm just being a dick. I'd probably be interested in a keyboard too if it didn't mean an awkward form factor and a ton of added thickness.

Eh, the Bionic is only 0.1" thicker than my Droid 3. LTE sliders are probably going to be bricks though

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
This would be perfect if I could put CM on it. I really dislike the navy blue statusbar and stuff.

Also, I can't see how people don't notice the Pentile display but welp :spergin:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I honestly had no idea that Costco's return/exchange policy also applied to their cellphones. If the policy remains unchanged a year and a half from now, I'll definitely be buying from them next upgrade :)

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I to really want a good (verizon) keyboard phone. At first I thought touchscreens were totally fine but I've gotten more and more frusterated with typing on a touchscreen. Swype helped but I still want an actual keyboard.

Also is there any kind of expanded dictionary or 3rd party auto correct. The auto correct on my 2.2 inc tends to make things worse more often than it helps. Especially since it doesn't seem to actually remember anything I've told it to add to the dictionary. I'm thinking of just turning it off.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Galler posted:

I to really want a good (verizon) keyboard phone. At first I thought touchscreens were totally fine but I've gotten more and more frusterated with typing on a touchscreen. Swype helped but I still want an actual keyboard.

Also is there any kind of expanded dictionary or 3rd party auto correct. The auto correct on my 2.2 inc tends to make things worse more often than it helps. Especially since it doesn't seem to actually remember anything I've told it to add to the dictionary. I'm thinking of just turning it off.

You should try Swift Key X, its predictions are pretty magical (most of the time). It costs money but totally worth it imo. Be sure to read about it first though.

Edit: so, I over hear you talking about your love of keyboards. I to, have a love for keyboards. One of my favorite things to do is show others the light. I think I might know of an organization you might be interested in

:slides card across table, gets up and disappears into crowd. On the card, there is only a phone number:

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 9, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Galler posted:

I was a little crushed when the Merge was a.) dated as all get out and b.) not released on Verizon :smith:

Oh, and SwiftKey is totally worth the cost.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 9, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Also TouchPal was just released on the market apparently. It's kind of a hybrid of Swift Key and Swype. I've been using it off and on since beta 2 and im still not sure, probably not a good sign but the concept is intriguing.

Edit: Typed With TouchPal. Meh.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 9, 2011

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

So whats the official word on whats under the hood on the bionic? Google says conflicting details between an omap2 and a tegra2...Can't quite figure it out.

Also, Dear verizon, Don't charge me $10/gig for data. Go gently caress yourself.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

cr0y posted:

So whats the official word on whats under the hood on the bionic? Google says conflicting details between an omap2 and a tegra2...Can't quite figure it out.

Also, Dear verizon, Don't charge me $10/gig for data. Go gently caress yourself.

OMAP

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
OMAP4 at 1gigglehertz.

Edit: ARG

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Swift key has a 1 month free trial so I'll give it a shot. Actually I'm giving it a shot right now. Thanks for the suggestion.

e: VVV will do, thanks.

Galler fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 9, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Galler posted:

Swift key has a 1 month free trial so I'll give it a shot. Actually I'm giving it a shot right now. Thanks for the suggestion.

TouchPal is also free until October 31st if you want to try it. Might be worth it to have it.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Coming from Sense I'm really not a fan of motorola's skin. I have no complaints about the screen so far and I had an incredible before. The on screen keyboard kept bugging out when typing text, it wouldn't update the text box but it was still registering key strokes, making it difficult to tell if you made an error. Overall it's super loving fast though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

rscott posted:

Coming from Sense I'm really not a fan of motorola's skin. I have no complaints about the screen so far and I had an incredible before. The on screen keyboard kept bugging out when typing text, it wouldn't update the text box but it was still registering key strokes, making it difficult to tell if you made an error. Overall it's super loving fast though.

I think the onscreen keyboard thing is a bug in the newer versions of blur because my X2 does this sometimes also. When it happens you have to clear the keyboard apps data to fix it.

It only happens once every 3 or 4 weeks or so but its pretty annoying when it happens.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Thanks Chocolate, I just started having that problem today.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Codiusprime posted:

OMAP4 at 1gigglehertz.

Edit: ARG

Anyone have any insight as to why they ditched tegra2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

cr0y posted:

Anyone have any insight as to why they ditched tegra2?

I think it had too do with the Tegra not playing nice with 4G, though I could be mistaken. I also want to say they were working on battery life.

• Locked thread