Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

tismondo posted:

There's a Costco within an hour of me by metro but I work long hours this week and want to be sure there

a) is a mobile kiosk there
b) are at least a few bionics in stock before I make the journey out

Their phone system doesn't have an extension for a mobile kiosk... am i boned? do they even take calls about this kind of thing?

When you call Costco just immediately press zero and you'll get the general operator. Ask for the number for the wireless kiosk. For some reason neither Costco nor Wireless Advocates makes finding the number easy online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One thing I don't think is getting enough mention in the reviews is how motorola partitioned up the internal storage.

There's 16gb of internal flash, but they only carved 8gb out for user (media) storage. They gave it a massive 4gb application storage partition. I think that may be the highest of any android device out there. The Revo, x2, and Charge are only 1.5gb. The Droid 3 is 2gb. The Thunderbolt has the most out of the rest of Verizon's phones at 2.5gb.

4gb of storage means that no one should ever see the dreaded "low storage" warning. I know I've been installing just tons of stuff on my Xoom as Honeycomb doesn't have an application storage limit (it can use all the internal flash for apps if it needs to) and I'm only sitting at about 2.6gb of stuff installed.

Coming from the OG Droid with only 256mb of application storage, it's a huge step. It's amazing how far these handsets of gotten in less than 2 years.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Those of you with Bionics who think the Pentile screen is particularly egregious are you guys using screen protectors? I put one of the verizon anti glare protectors on my phone and it looked like poo poo afterwards.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rscott posted:

Those of you with Bionics who think the Pentile screen is particularly egregious are you guys using screen protectors? I put one of the verizon anti glare protectors on my phone and it looked like poo poo afterwards.

Nope, still problematic for me without anything on the screen.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

rscott posted:

I can't imagine anyone putting a case or screen protector on the Bionic, it's already frigging huge. But no, no protector on mine and I notice the pentile.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Ok, I apologize for spergin' out on the last page about the PenTile argument. I have an Inc and I can notice the PenTile poo poo, but only when it has no screen protector on. I have a Invisishield right now and it obscures it perfectly while transmitting the most color. I will say the verizon anti glare ones are a pissant.

What I was trying to comment on was-- in my opinion, since we have seen so many android platforms (esp Verizon) that have inherent software problems, I don't figure it would be much to ask to use a phone, like the Bionic, that has great software trading for a slightly less beautiful screen. I just raged when I typed it. Excuse me.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bull3964 posted:

One thing I don't think is getting enough mention in the reviews is how motorola partitioned up the internal storage.

There's 16gb of internal flash, but they only carved 8gb out for user (media) storage. They gave it a massive 4gb application storage partition. I think that may be the highest of any android device out there. The Revo, x2, and Charge are only 1.5gb. The Droid 3 is 2gb. The Thunderbolt has the most out of the rest of Verizon's phones at 2.5gb.

4gb of storage means that no one should ever see the dreaded "low storage" warning. I know I've been installing just tons of stuff on my Xoom as Honeycomb doesn't have an application storage limit (it can use all the internal flash for apps if it needs to) and I'm only sitting at about 2.6gb of stuff installed.

Coming from the OG Droid with only 256mb of application storage, it's a huge step. It's amazing how far these handsets of gotten in less than 2 years.

On the other hand, if you actually put a bunch of media on your phone, that bigger app partition might be cutting into your useful space. I know people's habits differ, but I tend to download a bunch of apps and then delete them when they turn out to be terrible or unnecessary, so I don't think I've ever gotten close to the app limit. Plus, you can always move them to an SD card if you really run out of space.

If you're rooted, can you switch up the partitions? I haven't messed with repartitioning or anything, but there's a probably a utility that will let you move some of the space around if you need more/less app/media space, right?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The phone comes with a 16gb card on top of the 8gb media partition and you can replace that with a 32gb card if you so choose. Regaining an extra 2gb or so from the app partition is small potatoes in comparison.

Some apps you can't move to the SD card (google apps are notorious about this) so it's not a full proof solution. Just ask any OG Droid owner or even a Nexus One/Incredible owner (my coworker today was complaining about how he can't install anything else on his Nexus One.) Even with moving every app possible to my SD card, I couldn't install anything else on my OD Droid.

I don't know how feasible it would be to re-partition the phone.

avan
Apr 26, 2010
OMG I LOVE THIS PHONE. I can see the "cross hatching" in the display we are speaking of but it really doesn't bother me. I just consider it the "look" of the phone. It is so fast its unbelievable and I love having hdmi mirroring (I have an n64 emulator and the wii controller IME app so me and a few buds were playing some n64 last night woop woop.

I did notice something (which could be a fluke) but I turned the data connection off when I went to sleep last night and when I woke up I turned it back on (All through the power control widget.) It took a Restart for the phone to jump back on 4g. I dont know if thats user error or some sort of bug but it happened. I waited all morning and through a full class and played with network/battery saver settings before I decided to restart.

I really enjoy the ability to make a custom battery profile. I also can say that I have been using it pretty solidly for the last hour (downloading apps and playing games) and I checked my battery stats to see that the display has only used 5% of the power and the battery is still at 100%!

if anyone is on the fence about it and/or waiting to get a rumored mystery phone in october I would suggest just getting this. I can easily see it lasting me 2 years. (well 1.5 of good use and then 6 months of being a bit annoying waiting to get a new new phone.)

Technology is loving incredible.

e:// is anyone else still on the old style market (the one before they started having featured movie rentals? Is there a way to get to the new market? I don't see an update available and I don't really know of a way to check for it.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
I've been using a verizon flipphone for many many years. It's broken and now I need a smartphone (I guess just something that can get the internet and check email?) but I want to wait until the galaxy s III comes out next year (or at least until ice cream sandwich phones start to drop) before I sign any kind of contract.

Can I buy an old android on ebay or craigslist and just go month to month with Verizon until next year? What kind of used smartphones can/should I get for under $150?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

avan posted:

e:// is anyone else still on the old style market (the one before they started having featured movie rentals? Is there a way to get to the new market? I don't see an update available and I don't really know of a way to check for it.

The very first time I went into the market it was the old market. Halfway through downloading an app, the market abruptly quit (not force closed, just quit). Then next time I opened it, it was the new market.

Also, don't forget to search for a few of the pre-installed apps (like flash, and voice search) in the market and install the updates. Since they are part of the system rom, they won't show up in the My Apps section to update until you update them manually for the first time.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 9, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Avian Pneumonia posted:

I've been using a verizon flipphone for many many years. It's broken and now I need a smartphone (I guess just something that can get the internet and check email?) but I want to wait until the galaxy s III comes out next year (or at least until ice cream sandwich phones start to drop) before I sign any kind of contract.

Can I buy an old android on ebay or craigslist and just go month to month with Verizon until next year? What kind of used smartphones can/should I get for under $150?

Droid Prime will have ICS on it and will probably drop in the next couple of months, any specific reason why you want to wait for the SGS3?

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Can I buy an old android on ebay or craigslist and just go month to month with Verizon until next year?
Yes you can. I did exactly this.

Sorry I can't help with what's a good used phone though, been a while since I last searched.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Bah, almost pulled the trigger on a Bionic, until I realized my city doesn't even have 4G yet. I just assumed it did but apparently in Verizon's infinite wisdom Kansas City isn't even on the list for 4G in 2011.

Oh well, this plus NE2 only being $50 now instead of $300 like it should be, makes waiting for the Droid Prime or better a much easier decision. Please hold out for a bit longer OG Droid!

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Avian Pneumonia posted:

tismondo posted:

Yes you can. I did exactly this.

Sorry I can't help with what's a good used phone though, been a while since I last searched.
I was under the impression that Verizon mandates data plans for qualifying smartphones. Essentially it's been that way for a couple of years. Their ESN-switcher backend may not let you stick the phone onto your plan unless you select a special data plan for it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

sadus posted:

I just assumed it did but apparently in Verizon's infinite wisdom Kansas City isn't even on the list for 4G in 2011.
Verizon decided to just not compete in Sprint's backyard?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

sadus posted:

Bah, almost pulled the trigger on a Bionic, until I realized my city doesn't even have 4G yet. I just assumed it did but apparently in Verizon's infinite wisdom Kansas City isn't even on the list for 4G in 2011.

Oh well, this plus NE2 only being $50 now instead of $300 like it should be, makes waiting for the Droid Prime or better a much easier decision. Please hold out for a bit longer OG Droid!

Wait Kansas City doesn't have 4G and Wichita does? :psyduck:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ProjektorBoy posted:

I was under the impression that Verizon mandates data plans for qualifying smartphones.
They do, but the data add-on that doesn't seem to be his concern--he just doesn't want to sign a contract (or really, lose upgrade credit).

A used Droid X, Droid 2, or even Incredible are good options that will easily last until year's end. The original Droid would also work in a pinch, which you might be able to find particularly cheap since folks who got them are coming up on their two-year upgrades and nabbing Bionics. Fascinates are better spec'd than the OG Droid, but might also be a bigger hassle.

Avoid the Droid Eris, LG Ally, and Samsung Continuum. The LG Vortex might be OK, but I imagine you can find an OG Droid for the same price if not cheaper.

Edit: Added more phones.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
I wasn't really sure where else to ask this so I'll just ask here:

Has anyone ever used cashforsmartphones.com, or does anyone know whether they're legit? I'm looking to get rid of my Droid 2 Global now that I got a Bionic, and I see some selling on eBay for under $200. Meanwhile, cashforsmartphones.com gave me an instant quote of $225 for it, which is more than I was expecting to get. Is there a catch? Are they going to lowball me once they actually have my phone? (It works perfectly and is in more-or-less perfect physical condition)

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Bambi posted:

I wasn't really sure where else to ask this so I'll just ask here:

Has anyone ever used cashforsmartphones.com, or does anyone know whether they're legit? I'm looking to get rid of my Droid 2 Global now that I got a Bionic, and I see some selling on eBay for under $200. Meanwhile, cashforsmartphones.com gave me an instant quote of $225 for it, which is more than I was expecting to get. Is there a catch? Are they going to lowball me once they actually have my phone? (It works perfectly and is in more-or-less perfect physical condition)

They just quoted me 140 bucks for a DX that doesn't power on, super tempted to try sending in our water damaged one for kicks. It is in perfect condition other than the whole toilet thing.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE

Codiusprime posted:

Droid Prime will have ICS on it and will probably drop in the next couple of months, any specific reason why you want to wait for the SGS3?

I guess it wouldn't have to be that phone. I'm basically looking for a great phone that is dualcore, 4g, and will have icecream sandwich. Phones like this should start coming out this fall, no?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bambi posted:

Has anyone ever used cashforsmartphones.com

I want to use them so I am researching.. I see some people complaining that they will adjust the quote after they receive the device. My old droids screen doesn't light up fully and can only be viewed with a flashlight on it.. So, I really don't care.

They quoted me $60... If they give me $40 I would be fine with it. I just need to figure out how to wipe my data off of it first.

avan
Apr 26, 2010

bull3964 posted:

The very first time I went into the market it was the old market. Halfway through downloading an app, the market abruptly quit (not force closed, just quit). Then next time I opened it, it was the new market.

Also, don't forget to search for a few of the pre-installed apps (like flash, and voice search) in the market and install the updates. Since they are part of the system rom, they won't show up in the My Apps section to update until you update them manually for the first time.

Well I have tried restarting my phone and force quitting the market - I have downloaded many things and it still isnt updating - Does anyone know what to do to force update the market?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

avan posted:

Well I have tried restarting my phone and force quitting the market - I have downloaded many things and it still isnt updating - Does anyone know what to do to force update the market?

Maybe try clearing the cache of the market before force closing and restarting?

There doesn't seem to be a specific way to force an update of the market, it seems other than sideloading the new APK.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Avian Pneumonia posted:

I guess it wouldn't have to be that phone. I'm basically looking for a great phone that is dualcore, 4g, and will have icecream sandwich. Phones like this should start coming out this fall, no?

Should be! I'll believe it when I see it, but they seem incredibly confident. The Prime should meet your criteria, though we will have to see what it's like when it drops. I really don't want to beta test ICS for Google just so they can get it out to compete with the iphone. I'm also still worried that Samsung is going to somehow gently caress this up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Just a quick report on battery so far. It has seen one full drain to shutoff last night and was charged fully overnight.

I've been leaving my phone alone for the most part right now because I'm at work and that's what my phone does at work, sit there and idle. I have it in performance battery mode, so no data turning off or anything. I've been sitting on LTE this whole time.

I'm just about rounding out 5 hours off charge and the battery has been consumed around 15%. I say around 15% as this being a motorola phone, the battery meter is rounded to the nearest 10%. So, it JUST tripped over into the 80% display which means it dipped just under 85% life.

So, not too bad so far, about on par with what I was seeing with my OG Droid at this location. We'll see how it changes over the course of the next week as the battery calibrates. After that point, I may try a day forced to 3g to see if it changes anything.

I should be able to end the day around 70% charge like I normally do with my normal usage patterns.

avan
Apr 26, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Maybe try clearing the cache of the market before force closing and restarting?

There doesn't seem to be a specific way to force an update of the market, it seems other than sideloading the new APK.

i ended up just downloading the apk and loading it up. A bit odd that it never updated.

Also I have been using it pretty solidly all morning and I'm down to about 70% (with playing peggle/bejeweled for a while - and downloading stuff constantly) the display is sitting at 14% of the total consumption. I am quite impressed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Interesting.

iFixit's teardown of the bionic reveals an Qualcomm MDM6600. So, it does have a CDMA/GSM world chipset, though that functionality seems to be disabled like it is on the iPhone4.

iFixit also declared the Bionic as the most repairable smartphone they ever tore down (tied with the Atrix).
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Motorola-Droid-Bionic-Teardown/6449/1

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 9, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

Interesting.

iFixit's teardown of the bionic reveals an Qualcomm MDM6600. So, it does have a CDMA/GSM world chipset, though that functionality seems to be disabled like it is on the iPhone4.

Maybe they were forced to disable it because it wasn't working nicely together with their other componets?

Or maybe verizon told them never mind on the whole Global thing?

Who knows.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Maybe they were forced to disable it because it wasn't working nicely together with their other componets?

Or maybe verizon told them never mind on the whole Global thing?

Who knows.

It's possible that they really haven't worked out the whole 4G needing a SIM card in the US but also switch to a global SIM card outside the US.

The activation process for the LTE phones seems really dicey at this point. When I was having my phone activated yesterday, he kept telling the one guy in training "Do NOT turn on the phone until the SIM card has been activated in the system. If you do, the SIM will be toast and you'll have to use a new one."

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

rscott posted:

Wait Kansas City doesn't have 4G and Wichita does? :psyduck:

My thoughts exactly. Maybe they wanted to leave the Sprint WHQ city alone, but since thousands of people here have been repeatedly laid off from Sprint its not like many people actually like them anyway.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
So verizon is telling me I can keep my unlimited plan and add tethering and get a bionic. How much smoke is being blown up my rear end right now?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Laranzu posted:

So verizon is telling me I can keep my unlimited plan and add tethering and get a bionic. How much smoke is being blown up my rear end right now?

None. You keep unlimited data with a 4G phone upgrade and there is a $30 unlimited tethering plan available if you have grandfathered unlimited data and an LTE device.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

bull3964 posted:

It's possible that they really haven't worked out the whole 4G needing a SIM card in the US but also switch to a global SIM card outside the US.

The activation process for the LTE phones seems really dicey at this point. When I was having my phone activated yesterday, he kept telling the one guy in training "Do NOT turn on the phone until the SIM card has been activated in the system. If you do, the SIM will be toast and you'll have to use a new one."

Yeah it took the people at the Verizon store at least 3 tries to get my phone to actually activate, I'm not sure if that's because they were activating so many phones simultaneously or if the whole infrastructure hasn't been set in stone yet.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

kitten smoothie posted:

None. You keep unlimited data with a 4G phone upgrade and there is a $30 unlimited tethering plan available if you have grandfathered unlimited data and an LTE device.

Hot drat its like christmas. I ported to sprint and while I have no complaints with the photon, I'm addicted to speed and don't qualify for sprints port credit. Long story but I'm still in contract when I shouldn't be

hasegawa
Dec 30, 2008

Wedge Regret
I picked a Bionic up yesterday, and have been using it for about 23 hours at this point. Before this, I was using an OGD.

The screen doesn't bother me. I have the brightness turned all the way down, I'm using the standard Verizon screen protector, and I have 20/20 vision. The colors all look fine to me, but again the brightness is turned all the way down and I haven't watched any movies on it or anything. I also have it on the stock Bionic circuit board background, which is dark-ish. The pixel-checkerboard effect is more noticeable if I turn the brightness all the way up and use a white background, but it still doesn't really bother me. Since this is obviously a largely subjective point of contention, I suggest that anybody who is interested in this device go and observe one firsthand at your local phone store. But not a Verizon kiosk in best buy, because most of those phones are non-functioning fakes.

Other thoughts: It is fast as poo poo. My OG Droid was slightly overclocked to 800 MHz, but this thing leaves it in the dust speed-wise. Swapping between applications, whipping out the phone for a quick Google search, flipping between homescreens, etc. are all smooth and seamless (to my OGD-accustomed eyes). Of course, if you already have a Thunderbolt or an X2 then the speed difference won't be as drastic to you.

-I was almost convinced that I would have to have a physical keyboard on all of my phones, but I'm actually surprised at how much I like typing on this one. There's plenty of space to type thanks to the bigger screen, the phone is quick and responsive, and the haptic feedback vibrating thing is quick and sharp.

-Battery life: I'm at 70%, and my phone has been unplugged for 10 hours and 22 minutes. I've used it mostly for work emails today, along with a 2 minute phone call and a few text messages. My display has been on for 1 hour 9 minutes, if that gives you any idea.

After ~24 hours of use, I can safely say that I like it. If an easy (and completely reversible) process for unlocking the bootloader is discovered, then I will probably love the poo poo out of it.

littlewashu
Nov 25, 2007

Charles Carmichael always comes quickly.

hasegawa posted:

But not a Verizon kiosk in best buy, because most of those phones are non-functioning fakes.

Just as a note on this, most Best Buys with a Best Buy Mobile have actual working phones that they keep locked up. They should let you play with them if you ask.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So do batteries sometimes discharge drastically the very first time? I charged my new bionic 100% last night, unplugged for work at 6am and it was almost dead by 3pm with barely any use. I plugged it for another full charge and now it seems like its holding onto battery life much better.

As far as satisfaction goes, this phone gets my thumbs up. I too waited the full 2 years from the OG droid so this thing is blazing fast compared to my old one.

Heck, if the commercial showed the cool phase-out effect when locking the screen instead of some chick fighting robots I bet they'd sell a lot more of these. It caught me off guard and I was totally :aaa:

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only
Speaking of new batteries... I occasionally hear about best practices for getting the most out of batteries, but I really know nothing about it. The Bionic, which I'm hoping to pick up today has a Li-Ion polymer battery. Should I plug it in right away and not use the phone for 5 hours? Use it right away and don't charge it till it dies? I've found some conflicting stuff online, but I don't know if I'm looking in the right places...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

NewcastleBrown posted:

Speaking of new batteries... I occasionally hear about best practices for getting the most out of batteries, but I really know nothing about it. The Bionic, which I'm hoping to pick up today has a Li-Ion polymer battery. Should I plug it in right away and not use the phone for 5 hours? Use it right away and don't charge it till it dies? I've found some conflicting stuff online, but I don't know if I'm looking in the right places...

I think the general thing is to avoid heavy usage while it's plugged in. I know Android is supposed to have all this code implemented so it doesn't keep charging when the battery is full but I've drained one too many batteries to continue using a phone while it's charging.

• Locked thread