Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

nervana posted:

what kind of kneepads do u guys use? links?

Our regular keeper wears volleyball pads. I normally wear knee supports so if I sub in at keeper those usually are alright. You don't need anything super heavy or padded, just something that will cover your knees to prevent those burns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Yeah, if you need anything just get sleeves.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Or you could just be the guy who pushes the other onto the turf...just saying

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Won my first indoor game 2-1. On a brand new team, made up of my HS teammates, so it's a completely system than I'd been playing. Forgot how nice it felt to play deep and distribute instead being expected to finish off moves. Far more natural. My team is really rusty, but I imagine we'll figure each other out over the next few weeks.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Played in a 3-way round robin tournament tonight with work, us and two other companies we work with closely each fielded a 7 a side team, we played each other twice in 15 minute games.

My team lost every single match and didn't score a single goal. What was frustrating is that it was down to a couple of players not putting any effort in (either defending or attacking). The 10 minutes we had with them both on the bench were the best 10 minutes we played all night. Then we made a sub and conceded 3 goals in 5 minutes. They're not even bad players, they just refused to track runners and also didn't bother moving into space on the attack either.

I still enjoyed it overall and I'd do it again, but I just don't get the kind of person who signs up for a small sided game and then expects the rest of his team to carry him. Even worse, I work in IT where that kind of behaviour is completely frowned upon and a surefire way to get your colleagues loving with you and refusing to help on a daily basis. They aren't like that at their job though, which makes it even more strange.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

I've found that the best solution to that is to either stick them up front so they don't have to track back or yell at them. A lot.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
As you all no doubt have been waiting to hear how my team has been doing, we're getting better slowly but surely. Also as keeper I've made it my policy to be a bit more aggressive and it works out. We aren't playing teams that are amazing so just forcing the issue and rushing out has made a lot of difference.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

anyone know places to find pickup games in los angeles? specifically in santa monica or westwood? I know about virginia ave park but have no clue where to look otherwise

Rankine Over Gash
Feb 18, 2010

We had our meetings in a room with a bar and Brian Clough said to me "Millsy, get the beers in and get yourself a Guinness". I told him I didn't drink. He said "Get yourself a fucking Guinness" so I did. I drank it, pulled a face and then he named me in the team. I never said no again.
Do any Manchester posters here play in 5/7 a side teams and need a player? I'm working on getting fit again in the gym/jogging but miss playing football. Adequate, very tall defensive player.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

First game of the new season now that I've taken charge, lost 3-1 at home. :(

The performance wasn't actually that bad, our opponents told us they beat a bunch of teams from the division above in friendlies, we haven't had time to play any friendlies at all in comparison.

Unfortunately despite the positives and constructive criticism we also have a bunch of injuries to take away - one player went off with a pulled hamstring after 5 minutes, another went off after 20 with a broken arm (that he tried to play through!). That left us with no subs because the remaining sub already had shin splints. After that our striker pulled a groin muscle and couldn't run at full pelt, DM picked up a swollen ankle the size of a golf ball and another player went 90 minutes coming straight back from a previous injury. I suspect there might be a couple more reported at the next training session.

Shopping list for this week: a bigger first aid kit.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Scikar posted:

First game of the new season now that I've taken charge, lost 3-1 at home. :(

The performance wasn't actually that bad, our opponents told us they beat a bunch of teams from the division above in friendlies, we haven't had time to play any friendlies at all in comparison.

Unfortunately despite the positives and constructive criticism we also have a bunch of injuries to take away - one player went off with a pulled hamstring after 5 minutes, another went off after 20 with a broken arm (that he tried to play through!). That left us with no subs because the remaining sub already had shin splints. After that our striker pulled a groin muscle and couldn't run at full pelt, DM picked up a swollen ankle the size of a golf ball and another player went 90 minutes coming straight back from a previous injury. I suspect there might be a couple more reported at the next training session.

Shopping list for this week: a bigger first aid kit.

poo poo man that sucks. Though it sounds like more warming up would be prudent?

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

The broken arm (apparently just slightly dislocated his elbow rather than broken, not totally sure how he managed that) and the ankle knock were just normal impact injuries, and the groin issue is a recurring problem the guy's had. Only the hamstring one was likely to due to a warmup problem. We did a reasonably thorough team warmup but I was concentrating on my own stretching during it rather than keeping an eye on other people, anyone over 20 should really be able to know when they've stretched enough or not. I'll probably do it slightly differently next week though.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
so after spraining my ankle back in march, it's still not back to normal. i havent tried playing yet (going to try next week), and i have no problems jogging, etc. but i can sort of feel the bones of my ankle grinding each other if i bend my foot a certain way.

should i go see a doctor about this or am i screwed? :emo:

Ming the Merciless
Aug 10, 2005
You're a beard with an idiot hanging off of it.

nervana posted:

so after spraining my ankle back in march, it's still not back to normal. i havent tried playing yet (going to try next week), and i have no problems jogging, etc. but i can sort of feel the bones of my ankle grinding each other if i bend my foot a certain way.

I have this bookmarked because I consistently roll my left ankle every couple of months: http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/healthy/physical/injuries/010.html

Take it slow starting back up, jogging is different from the quick stop-starts, twists and turns in football and you might find it painful at the start.

Going to a doctor may be useful since he can recommend you go to a physiotherapist. I live in commie-Canada so I have free healthcare, but I don't know what your insurance situation is. Good luck man!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

nervana posted:

I broke my ankle my senior year and for the past two+ years it clicks quite literally every step I take. I tune it out a lot but when people live with me for the first time they notice it.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Finally back playing indoor after almost a year out with a ruptured Achilles. So happy to be playing again but god drat am I unfit. In my game last week I subbed off about five minutes in and in a daze stumbled into a bathroom (ladies) and threw up :( Came back and finished the game and filled in for another team afterwards though. Hopefully tonight's game is easier.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Guitar_Hero posted:

Our regular keeper wears volleyball pads. I normally wear knee supports so if I sub in at keeper those usually are alright. You don't need anything super heavy or padded, just something that will cover your knees to prevent those burns.

Wrestling kneepads work amazingly well. They're a lifesaver on artificial turf.

Harvey Wine Time
May 15, 2011

by angerbeet
I think we're overthinking the kneepad issue. Just use those light blue neoprene support things old guys at my tennis club wear

Harvey Wine Time
May 15, 2011

by angerbeet
I played at new holland with some barefoot gasterarbeiters the other day and it was a great workout because tajiks love hoofball and are completely indefatigable so cast off your prejudices everyone and give it a go

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

how do i fix my hamstring?

took a long run for a counter attack and suddenly my hamstring started to hurt like heck and then it went away for a bit and now it hurts a lot when i walk up and down stairs and such, please tell me the secret to how i make the pain go away

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

euroboy posted:

took a long run for a counter attack and suddenly my hamstring started to hurt like heck and then it went away for a bit and now it hurts a lot when i walk up and down stairs and such, please tell me the secret to how i make the pain go away

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

And Ibuprofen.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Suqit posted:

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

And Ibuprofen.

going to try all of those because this isn't very comfortable

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Ice for 20 minutes maximum every couple of hours. Counterintuitive but any more than that and you'll actually make it worse.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Suqit posted:

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

And Ibuprofen.

This. Remember to have breaks between ice packs. Those hot/cold packs you can buy are good.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

The Injury Room: wherein we don't actually play football

Anyway I'm off to a match right now. We won the first two games in the cup, now for the first match in the league...

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I'm usually a goalkeeper and I don't like knee pads.. I play in short sleeves though because I feel more agile which I suppose is also against the norm.

I think my knees have been burnt and grazed so much over time they have just toughened up... although they are a weird shade of red purple now.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Played on Wednesday. So cold, so wet. I loving hate playing in the cold rain of a British winter, oh god the ear pain.

Yeah I know its not winter yet and today is rather nice, wednesday though, wednesday was a taste of the horror to come.

I'm soft.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Played on Wednesday. So cold, so wet. I loving hate playing in the cold rain of a British winter, oh god the ear pain.

Yeah I know its not winter yet and today is rather nice, wednesday though, wednesday was a taste of the horror to come.

I'm soft.

Until a ball has twatted you in the face or on the thigh in freezing weather you haven't lived.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Ninpo posted:

This. Remember to have breaks between ice packs. Those hot/cold packs you can buy are good.

Update on my hamstring. I didn't have any ice packs so i used two cans of beer to cool it down :cool:

It's alsmot gone away now, though I can still feel it a bit when I walk up stairs. I will try to solve with drinking the beer tonight.

Botswana!
Oct 12, 2009

They want what all Scotch people want: To kill the Queen, and destroy our way of life.
I've started playing in goal and football in general really recently and no-one told me the cost of boots. gently caress adidas, I'm sticking to my old Umberos and some tatty gloves I futher hosed up in a tug of war anchoring.

It has taken me a while to realise all of me will never me the sort of stringy aerobic goalie.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Botswana! posted:

I've started playing in goal and football in general really recently and no-one told me the cost of boots. gently caress adidas, I'm sticking to my old Umberos and some tatty gloves I futher hosed up in a tug of war anchoring.

It has taken me a while to realise all of me will never me the sort of stringy aerobic goalie.

You can get boots cheap on ebay and stuff they're not that bad

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
^^^^ Yeah no reason to spend silly money on boots. I've still got a cheapish pair of Puma astroturf boots that are brilliant and the studded ones are only a fiver more. I did spend a bit on my gloves though but I have fingers that sprain easier than van Persie's ankles so it was worth it.

euroboy posted:

Update on my hamstring. I didn't have any ice packs so i used two cans of beer to cool it down :cool:

It's alsmot gone away now, though I can still feel it a bit when I walk up stairs. I will try to solve with drinking the beer tonight.

Alcohol is not good for hamstring injuries, FYI.

If it's starting to get better, start using something warm on it or get a pair of those supportive shorts that are a bit like cycling shorts.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Ninpo posted:

^^^^ Yeah no reason to spend silly money on boots.

Probably not for a keeper, but I had a pair of cheap Pumas that lasted about 2/3 of a season before the sole came off.

Botswana!
Oct 12, 2009

They want what all Scotch people want: To kill the Queen, and destroy our way of life.
To be fair, I've had my boots for quite a few months and are decent (but I have no idea since I haven't played much.)

The only downside is they leave a big silver streak on tiled flooring from the studs but then again.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
David James said you should just buy copa mundials and then wear them until they fall apart so do that.

Botswana!
Oct 12, 2009

The Saurus posted:

David James said you should just buy copa mundials and then wear them until they fall apart so do that.

Listening to David James is pretty mad so maybe not.

Trials for a club I am looking at start on Tuesday so after the weekend at the local park with the dreadful quality drought ground praticing, I can safely say I am pretty good at positioning, handling I need to constantly continue at and am utter poo poo at spot kicks (drop kicks a-ok)

But looking good for someone who started playing in any medium since 2 months ago and I hope I do well Tuesday. Probably going to use some muscle relaxing milarkey in my bath Monday. Get in footie, get in.

Harvey Wine Time
May 15, 2011

by angerbeet

Ninpo posted:

^^^^ Yeah no reason to spend silly money on boots. I've still got a cheapish pair of Puma astroturf boots that are brilliant and the studded ones are only a fiver more. I did spend a bit on my gloves though but I have fingers that sprain easier than van Persie's ankles so it was worth it.

A great way for goalies to strengthen their fingers, hands and forearms is to dip each hand into a bowl of uncooked rice and squeeze for 10 secs, then relax for 10 secs. Repeat till failure. You can do this while watching tv or whatever and it does wonders for your grip and may make you a hit with women too

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Harvey Wine Time posted:

A great way for goalies to strengthen their fingers, hands and forearms is to dip each hand into a bowl of uncooked rice and squeeze for 10 secs, then relax for 10 secs. Repeat till failure. You can do this while watching tv or whatever and it does wonders for your grip and may make you a hit with women too

I'm familiar with this technique, only with builder's sand, not rice.

Harvey Wine Time
May 15, 2011

by angerbeet
Rice is easier to brush off. Is there a rule about goalkeepers not being able to wear batwing-style tracksuit bottoms to preclude nutmegging?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

euroboy posted:

sup strained hamstring buddy

I did mine in a month or two ago chasing a ball while defending, hurt like hell, iced it up when I got home and rested it for about 3 weeks. It felt mostly better at that point (it felt a bit tight if I stretched it e.g. while tying my shoelaces), went training on a Monday and it was fine, and on the following Wednesday was playing 5 a side (with the same guys I was playing with when I originally did it in), was late getting out of work so I just showed up and started playing without warming up/stretching, and about 30 seconds in I was stretching to reach a pass and felt a sharp pain again. :smith: I took it easy for another week or so and since that night it has been fine.