Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Cizzo posted:

I think the general thing is to avoid heavy usage while it's plugged in.

I've never heard that before, lurves playing games on my phone with the brightness cranked up while it's plugged in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzinc
Aug 14, 2004

MY BALLS ARE THE SIZE OF GRAPEFRUITS
I'm glad a lot of you avoided the Samsung charge to get the Bionic. I have a thunderbolt, and I am insanely jealous I have to wait until January of next year for an upgrade.

Ratzinc fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 10, 2011

avan
Apr 26, 2010
Hey so when I got my phone they said I could get an extra batter for 50% off ($20) So I was like "duh" and went ahead and got the battery. Now I am sort of feeling like a dumb dumb because it seems kind of worthless for charging overnight. I have to charge one battery fully - remove the battery - put in the other one - charge that one fully. That doubles my charge time and basically makes having an extra battery more of a burden.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a more efficient way of doing this? Or am I just doomed to have a silly worthless extra battery?

I really want an easy way to have two charged batteries because there is nothing better than being able to kill a whole battery playing games knowing that I have an entire full charge waiting.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today

avan posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on a more efficient way of doing this? Or am I just doomed to have a silly worthless extra battery?

I really want an easy way to have two charged batteries because there is nothing better than being able to kill a whole battery playing games knowing that I have an entire full charge waiting.

The jackass at the Verizon store should have suggested you get this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/419L5Ry0LQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It comes as part of the Costco bundle, and is sold separately for about $25. My Verizon store didn't have any in stock when I purchased my phone, but he ordered it for me and should be at my house Monday night.

You can charge the spare battery and the phone with the same charge cable.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

rscott posted:

Coming from Sense I'm really not a fan of motorola's skin. I have no complaints about the screen so far and I had an incredible before. The on screen keyboard kept bugging out when typing text, it wouldn't update the text box but it was still registering key strokes, making it difficult to tell if you made an error. Overall it's super loving fast though.

I think the onscreen keyboard thing is a bug in the newer versions of blur because my X2 does this sometimes also. When it happens you have to clear the keyboard apps data to fix it.

It only happens once every 3 or 4 weeks or so but its pretty annoying when it happens.

Pardon the ignorance, but how do I clear the cache on the keyboard? Is it in Manage Applications?

rscott posted:

Those of you with Bionics who think the Pentile screen is particularly egregious are you guys using screen protectors? I put one of the verizon anti glare protectors on my phone and it looked like poo poo afterwards.

I put those anitglare screen protecors on the Fascinate and it was the same way. The anti glare "fog" coating just realy mucks up the screen when put on top of a pentile screem. Of course I should have known better since the Fascinate (like other Super AMOLEDs) is usually stellar avoiding glare.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

LaptopGun posted:

Pardon the ignorance, but how do I clear the cache on the keyboard? Is it in Manage Applications?

Yes, in Manage Applications. Pretty sure it's actually "Clear Data" and not "Clear cache" though.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Ratzinc posted:

I'm glad a lot of you avoided the charge to get the bionic. I have a thunderbolt and I am insanely jealous I have to wait until January of next year for an upgrade.

I paid full retail for it. Figure I can sell the Thunderbolt to make up (most) of the difference.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I paid full retail for it. Figure I can sell the Thunderbolt to make up (most) of the difference.

I think he means avoiding the Samsung Charge. I could be wrong though, because I read that sentence both ways and just hurt my brain.

So I got my Bionic yesterday as well and traded in my OG Droid. Question, and I don't know if it was a feature of Cyanogen Mod or not, but is there a way to set certain phone numbers in Motoblur to automatically go to voicemail?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The contacts are pretty much stock android on the bionic with some light skinning and backup assistant added in as another sync provider. So, you can do it the same way as vanilla android. View the contact (not edit) and hit menu and then select options. There's a checkbox to send directly to voicemail and a dropdown to customize ringtone.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Does anyone know when the Tacoma Costco is expecting to get more stock in? I'm going to be traveling in the area this weekend and was hoping to pin down a specific day I should try to stop by.

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

duffmensch posted:

Does anyone know when the Tacoma Costco is expecting to get more stock in? I'm going to be traveling in the area this weekend and was hoping to pin down a specific day I should try to stop by.
Costco has REALLY small stock. All the disappointed people who came in after I snatched up the last one were asking when there'd be more. The staff were unsure of when but thought Tues/Wed was a good bet. I still imagine it'll be different from store to store, though.

A note on Costco's relatively small stock - According to the people at my Costco kiosk, Motorola was unwilling to part with so many extra batteries for the awesome bonus package. I overheard that in the near future Costco's gonna start selling said awesome package sans extra battery, but still give out rain checks for when battery production ramps up. Should improve bionic availability at Costco dramatically whenever this goes into effect.

Ratzinc
Aug 14, 2004

MY BALLS ARE THE SIZE OF GRAPEFRUITS

CubanRefugee posted:

I think he means avoiding the Samsung Charge. I could be wrong though, because I read that sentence both ways and just hurt my brain.

So I got my Bionic yesterday as well and traded in my OG Droid. Question, and I don't know if it was a feature of Cyanogen Mod or not, but is there a way to set certain phone numbers in Motoblur to automatically go to voicemail?

Right, I meant avoiding the Samsung charge,sorry for the confusion. The bionics screen looked "off" when using the camera, other than that it looked good.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I've got a LG Octane and whenever I send a picture text to facebook to be posted on my wall, it always doubleposts the caption. I only found one other mention of this with some google searching and I haven't the foggiest idea why it does it.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
So my wife has a dumbphone and is looking to upgrade to a smartphone (she is eligible for an upgrade as well). And what great timing - Verizon is offering a deal where you trade in your dumbphone for a smartphone and get $100.

So - what's the best Android device right now? Or at least, is there a selection of devices to look at? I have an iPhone through work so I know nothing about Android.

Also - on a similar note - if I have a dumbphone (but am NOT eligible for a new phone) - is there some kind of deal if I decide to upgrade to smart phone? Is there a family data plan? How does this work?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Lowness 72 posted:

So - what's the best Android device right now?
Droid Bionic. It just came out two days ago, and if you're looking for 4G support in particular, it's the only Android phone worth considering if you're looking for something now. There's also rumors of the Droid Prime hitting in October or shortly after that some folks are waiting out for.

Lowness 72 posted:

Or at least, is there a selection of devices to look at?
There's a list on Verizon Wireless's website. The short of it is that you don't really want any of the other Android offerings if you're looking for something to maintain relevance for two years until her next upgrade.

The current crop of 3G-only devices aren't bad if you want to cheap out, or if she really doesn't like the Bionic. But I wouldn't expect them to maintain relevance in two years. The other 4G LTE devices (Thunderbolt, Droid Charge, Revolution) are last year's tech.

Lowness 72 posted:

Is there a family data plan? How does this work?
Nope, you pay (minimum) $30/mo for data on each smartphone line.

With Android you can cut out her SMS costs by using Google Voice for SMS. But if you already have unlimited family SMS, that only saves you $10/mo.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I went to a store and played with a Bionic. I really can't tell the difference with the pentile except for a little fuzziness if I move my eye really close.

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

waffle iron posted:

I went to a store and played with a Bionic. I really can't tell the difference with the pentile except for a little fuzziness if I move my eye really close.
The only time I notice mine is on certain pictures... there's sometimes a lack of color depth you'd otherwise expect. But truthfully it's a nonissue that nerds have blown up into one.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tismondo posted:

The only time I notice mine is on certain pictures... there's sometimes a lack of color depth you'd otherwise expect. But truthfully it's a nonissue that nerds have blown up into one.

These kinds of dismissive remarks are pretty stupid/obnoxious when it's obviously a significant issue for a not-insignificant number of people. If it's not a problem for you, that's great, but that's a dumb reason to diminish it being a problem for others.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

These kinds of dismissive remarks are pretty stupid/obnoxious when it's obviously a significant issue for a not-insignificant number of people. If it's not a problem for you, that's great, but that's a dumb reason to diminish it being a problem for others.

Yea, I said the same thing a few times but was ignored.

Obviously if it doesn't affect or bother them then it's just goons spergin out.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Codiusprime posted:

Yea, I said the same thing a few times but was ignored.

Obviously if it doesn't affect or bother them then it's just goons spergin out.
My theory on the PenTile-dismissiveness is that it's a 50/50 split between usage habits and confirmation bias. To the former, you're absolutely going to find fault with PenTile if you read a lot of small text on your phone -- no two ways about it. It seems reasonable to assume that the people who aren't bothered by it just don't use their smartphones for reading text very often -- or that when they do, they keep the font size jacked up high enough that they're getting notably less utility out of the display and don't really know what they're missing.

To the latter, that seems pretty simple: a lot of people have been really, really excited about getting a dual-core LTE phone, so why would they let a little thing like an irritating truth about a component of the device hamper their enjoyment of a product they've already decided is the best? This is compounded because most folks are (understandably) coming to something like the Bionic from OG Droids with showstopping performance problems and/or LG shitboxes from '09 or whatever so of course the product's flaws "don't seem that bad" by comparison.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: Charge vs. Bionic essentially boils down to whether you prefer improved performance or a good display (and for like 0.001% of us, whether you prefer a high-quality DAC). If you could get the Charge's display with the Bionic's SoC, you'd have a great phone. Right now, we have two phones that (intentionally?) leave something to be desired.

kbar fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 11, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I have zero doubts that it's intentional, but I'm probably just being all paranoid.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
What would you classify as little text? Something like that text size in the awful app?

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Possible Bionic bug! Well it is a Motorola device. :downs: Or maybe something is not right with that phone number.

Motorola's implementation of the homescreen widget that acts as a shortcut to a particular contact will randomly not work right with a couple of contacts. Occasionally when you got to call that contact from the widget the phone will call one of the VZW shortcut numbers. Somehow it interpolates the number for #MIN. I tried the standard array of battery pulls, deleted the contact and readded, checked *73 to make sure forwarding is off, closed the phone. Keeps happening. The contact is a cell number and I made sure the phone can actually dial the number. No, it's not like forwarding is on the phone called. I had to send the guy home to check back in a couple days. It's not a known issue as far as I know, but I imagine Moto will have more to say soon if it is not an isolated incident.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yes, in Manage Applications. Pretty sure it's actually "Clear Data" and not "Clear cache" though.

Thanks. There was an argument between a couple of my coworkers over whether the bugs with the keyboard can come back after a while. What I've been telling people is to use the Swype keyboard or download the generic Gingerbread keyboard off of the market. I'll make sure I clear data.

LaptopGun fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 11, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

LaptopGun posted:

Thanks. There was an argument between a couple of my coworkers over whether the bugs with the keyboard can come back after a while. What I've been telling people is to use the Swype keyboard or download the generic Gingerbread keyboard off of the market. I'll make sure I clear data.

They do come back after awhile, but it normally takes ~2 or 3 weeks and it's a 30 second fix. Still annoying, but not nearly as show-stopping bug or something like that.

Switching to another keyboard might fix it but honestly...I really, really like Motorola's stock keyboard. To me, it's the closest thing I've had to the iPhone keyboard (which is still superior, waiting on someone to finally crack that seemingly magical code) and I own probably 6 or 7 different types of keyboards from the market.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Codiusprime posted:

I have zero doubts that it's intentional, but I'm probably just being all paranoid.

Yeah the man is out to get you, its a big conspiracy.

Or Motorola wanted to address the myriad of complaints about battery life on big 4g devices and decided to use a screen that uses less power.

Naw it's probably a ploy to screw you over.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Yeah the man is out to get you, its a big conspiracy.

Or Motorola wanted to address the myriad of complaints about battery life on big 4g devices and decided to use a screen that uses less power.

Naw it's probably a ploy to screw you over.

Weird, guess they just haven't activated the 4G on my X2.

I'm not saying you're wrong or right. I will say it's naive to think that companies don't withhold certain features for their benefit.

You're probably right though in that case.

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat

Codiusprime posted:

Weird, guess they just haven't activated the 4G on my X2.

If you're talking about the Droid X2 it doesn't have LTE/4G

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

decoy octopus posted:

If you're talking about the Droid X2 it doesn't have LTE/4G

Look up before you mi...nope, it's gone.

Edit: To not be a complete jerk. I know. He said the pentile was probably a battery saving measure by Moto because of the 4G. I was just saying (in a jerk way) that there are pentile phones without 4G. Pentile doesn't bother me to much, im still interested in the Prime and it wouldn't keep me from buying the Bionic.

Edit again: He's probably right though. As far as the Bionic is concerned Pentile was probably the way to go.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 11, 2011

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Now that I've had the chance to play with my new Bionic for a day, it's become really obvious to me that I don't know poo poo about how to use this phone. I'm coming from a Blackberry Tour 9630, so all this swiping and tapping is completely new to me. I already love it, and I'm sure I'll love it even more once I figure everything out, but for now, I don't know poo poo about poo poo when it comes to this phone.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
One bit of info about the costco deal that everyone but me probably already knew:

Make sure you've got an actual "upgrade" as opposed to an "early upgrade." When I went to the verizon store, the woman just told me I had an available upgrade. So I was pretty bummed when I called 6 different costcos and drove 40 minutes out of the way to discover they can't do the deal with early upgrades.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Can anyone recommend a case for the Bionic with an extended battery?

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
AnandTech's Preview of the Bionic

Pretty sure I'm going to hold off for now until later in the fall to see what else comes out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Just at a point of note, I'm seeing much better battery life than they talk about in those tests (on par with my OG Droid which is impressive considering the new phone is 4G, dual core, and has a 4.3 inch screen) though obviously I'm not duplicating their test conditions.

As a general note about LTE battery performance, you aren't going to see things improve much before the middle of next year when the 2nd gen chipsets come out.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Can anyone recommend a case for the Bionic with an extended battery?

I got the $25ish combo pack with car charger, screen protector and holster-case. The latter has room for the extended battery and a fold-out kickstand, rather liking it so far.

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

bull3964 posted:

Just at a point of note, I'm seeing much better battery life than they talk about in those tests (on par with my OG Droid which is impressive considering the new phone is 4G, dual core, and has a 4.3 inch screen) though obviously I'm not duplicating their test conditions.

As a general note about LTE battery performance, you aren't going to see things improve much before the middle of next year when the 2nd gen chipsets come out.

In the couple days I've had it my Bionic has the same/better battery life than my OG Droid did before I replaced it.

That said, the battery in my Droid was 2 years old and I honestly have no idea how its current performance compares to when it was new.

I'm not tethering or running it constantly, but I am web browsing, playing games and sending texts the same as I did before. I also have 4G turned off, because I'm on the very edge of a 4G area and my phone was constantly switching.

thrannix
Dec 11, 2009

kitten smoothie posted:

None. You keep unlimited data with a 4G phone upgrade and there is a $30 unlimited tethering plan available if you have grandfathered unlimited data and an LTE device.

So, I'll be upgrading to a new phone in November (NET upgrade). If I upgrade to the 4G network (upgrading from original Droid), do I get to keep my unlimited data plan that I've been using for over two years now?

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

thrannix posted:

So, I'll be upgrading to a new phone in November (NET upgrade). If I upgrade to the 4G network (upgrading from original Droid), do I get to keep my unlimited data plan that I've been using for over two years now?

Yes. If you have Unlimited Data you keep it. The only way to lose it is to cancel your data plan.

thrannix
Dec 11, 2009

NewcastleBrown posted:

Yes. If you have Unlimited Data you keep it. The only way to lose it is to cancel your data plan.

Awesome, thanks. Now my only decision is whether to wait until November for a phone, or go out and grab the Bionic now. My Droid is so s l o w now, it's getting unbearable.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Four days into having the Bionic, and two days ago I discovered swype for the first time ever. I came from an OG Droid and felt like I was taking a step back moving away from that, but swype literally amazes me with how accurate it is. What really gets me is how much loving fun I have using it, I love to text with it.

I know it's probably old news, but I'm so glad I switched that on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Its pretty strange but my favorite bionic thing is the really solid staccato feeling vibration you get hitting the context menu button on the bottom. Just feels so crisp almost.

• Locked thread