Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ukrainius maximus posted:

I know it's probably old news, but I'm so glad I switched that on.
Is this OEM ROM Swype or the beta? If the former, you should really try the beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is this OEM ROM Swype or the beta? If the former, you should really try the beta.

How can you tell?

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only
The guys at Costco told me they couldn't sell me insurance for my phone. The chatbot I talked to on Verizon's help chat told me they will only insure phones purchased from them directly. Can I still insure my phone? Do I need to go to Asurion (or whoever) directly, or can I actually get Verizon to do it?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

NewcastleBrown posted:

The guys at Costco told me they couldn't sell me insurance for my phone. The chatbot I talked to on Verizon's help chat told me they will only insure phones purchased from them directly. Can I still insure my phone? Do I need to go to Asurion (or whoever) directly, or can I actually get Verizon to do it?

When I got my new phone, Verizon dropped my insurance, then sent me a txt with info to call Asurion. Took about 2 mins on the phone with Asurion to get it all set up again.

edit: this was through Amazon.

alg fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 12, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's odd as I was specifically given the option at Costco to get insurance (not that I did, but he told me I could add insurance anytime within 30 days.)

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

angrylinuxgeek posted:

When I got my new phone, Verizon dropped my insurance, then sent me a txt with info to call Asurion. Took about 2 mins on the phone with Asurion to get it all set up again.

Ah. I never had it on my old phone, so I got no such text. The woman I chatted with just said they couldn't do it, but didn't give me any info on other options. Do you have the number to set it up? The Asurion website just gives claim info, I can't find anything about signing up for new service...

Edit:

bull3964 posted:

That's odd as I was specifically given the option at Costco to get insurance (not that I did, but he told me I could add insurance anytime within 30 days.)

I specifically asked about adding insurance, as I didn't have it before and he said that Wireless Advocates isn't licensed to sell insurance, or some such, but that I could do it "over the phone" within the first 30 days.

E2:

\/\/\/\/ Thanks!

NewcastleBrown fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 12, 2011

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

NewcastleBrown posted:

Ah. I never had it on my old phone, so I got no such text. The woman I chatted with just said they couldn't do it, but didn't give me any info on other options. Do you have the number to set it up? The Asurion website just gives claim info, I can't find anything about signing up for new service...

866-228-6517

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

How can you tell?

If it was preinstalled on your phone, you have the OEM version.

If you requested an beta invitation, waited a random amount of time ranging from thirty seconds to six months, received the beta invitation email, clicked a link, created an account, opened the account creation email on your phone, downloaded the installer app from your phone's browser, ran that app to download and install Swype, worked your way through the activation process, tried to use it, swore because something got screwed up in their asinine licensing system and it refuses to let you swipe words, uninstalled both Swype and the installer app, and started again with a fresh download of the installer, and it finally worked that time, then you have the beta version.

Also I think sometimes the beta version refuses to install on phones that came with OEM Swype preinstalled. Someone else should be able to explain how to get around this.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

NewcastleBrown posted:

I want to get rid of my iPhone. I plan on giving it to my brother or selling it on ebay and buying retail. I called Verizon to ask them about insurance and warranty on the new phone as I've never done this before. They told me that I could have neither if I did the brother thing.

I asked a cousin who basically did the same thing. She has insurance, didn't ask about warranty.

Moral of the story? Don't trust Verizon. Call Asurion.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Penguissimo posted:

If it was preinstalled on your phone, you have the OEM version.

Well, what I was really after was what was the current version number of the beta.

From what I can tell, the X2 came with 2.24.66.17859

I'm not sure what the Droid 3 comes with, but the Bionic is 3.21.87.27685. So, it's much closer to the 3.25 beta version number.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Swype aggravates the hell out of me sometimes, like how turning off auto-capitalization doesn't affect proper nouns in the dictionary, or the word I. Let me type in all lowercase letters if I want to, god damnit.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Well, what I was really after was what was the current version number of the beta.

In my defence, that's not really even close to what you asked for. You'll still probably have to do some trickery to get the beta version onto the phone that came with the OEM version, though, no matter how similar the versions.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I bought this earlier and it's still available. Got the link from droidlife
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=accessoryDetails&archetypeId=12743&accessoryId=47724

Extended battery with cover from Verizon for Droid Bionic. Free 2 day shipping as well. Regular Price is $49.99 but when you add to your cart it's $24.99. Make sure you aren't logged in to your account.

Sohcahtoa82
Sep 10, 2011
Is there really a significant difference between Verizon's 3G network and their 4G LTE? I know its whatever amount faster in theory, but in practice, do you see the difference?

I'm currently on a first gen Motorola Droid, and I'm eligible to upgrade soon, and the Droid 3 is looking nice, but the fact that its only a 3G phone and not a 4G makes me rage a bit :argh: With it being such a new phone, I don't see any excuse for making it only a 3G.

I can't live without a physical keyboard. Should I get the Droid 3 when I can? Or should I just hold out and wait for a 4G phone with a QWERTY? Is the speed difference between the two really worth it?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Sohcahtoa82 posted:

Is there really a significant difference between Verizon's 3G network and their 4G LTE? I know its whatever amount faster in theory, but in practice, do you see the difference?

It's more than faster in theory. There is no comparison. Verizon's 4G network will let you grab data at over 1 megabyte per second at bare minimum when you've got poo poo signal. Verizon's 3G network tops out at about 175-200 kilobytes per second when your signal is perfect. It's not unusual for 4G to let you suck down data at 2-5 Megabytes per second when signal is great. VZ's 4G network is absolutely worth it.

Sadly, Verizon has jack poo poo for 4G phones with a hardware keyboard coming down the pipe. There's scant rumors that the Samsung Stratosphere (a variant of the Samsung Epic 4G) is on its way out in a few months. But it's definitely a "mid-range" device as it has a processor that's about a year old, 5MP camera, and other mediocre things like that.

You could reasonably extrapolate that Motorola has a "Droid 4G" coming down the pipe where you'll get dual core + 4G + hardware keyboard. It wouldn't release until at least the end of next summer, but waiting that long sucks.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Waiting for specific features/a device that has not even been announced sucks.

I just want a Windows Phone with a loving physical keyboard. I would love a vertical keyboard, like a Dell Venue Pro, but I have simply given up hope.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

ProjektorBoy posted:

Sadly, Verizon has jack poo poo for 4G phones with a hardware keyboard coming down the pipe. There's scant rumors that the Samsung Stratosphere (a variant of the Samsung Epic 4G) is on its way out in a few months. But it's definitely a "mid-range" device as it has a processor that's about a year old, 5MP camera, and other mediocre things like that.

It's not rumor. It's coming, should be out before the end of september. Its a Samsung Epic 4G with wimax ripped out and LTE shoved in.

That being said 90% of the people we see upgrading off the OG Droid all say the same thing.. "I never use the keyboard" I see a lot of people longing for a keyboard on the internet, but in the sales channels, it doesn't show.

The Droid 3 was only popular at all because it was BOGO at Verizon.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Mighty Horse posted:

It's not rumor. It's coming, should be out before the end of september. Its a Samsung Epic 4G with wimax ripped out and LTE shoved in.

That being said 90% of the people we see upgrading off the OG Droid all say the same thing.. "I never use the keyboard" I see a lot of people longing for a keyboard on the internet, but in the sales channels, it doesn't show.

yeah, I have a droid 3 and the keyboard is great, but half the time I don't use it and I doubt the next phone I get will have one.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Marketing Shill posted:

I bought this earlier and it's still available. Got the link from droidlife
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=accessoryDetails&archetypeId=12743&accessoryId=47724

Extended battery with cover from Verizon for Droid Bionic. Free 2 day shipping as well. Regular Price is $49.99 but when you add to your cart it's $24.99. Make sure you aren't logged in to your account.

Awesome, thanks for this.

One problem I'm having with my Bionic is my 3G seems to just stop working after a while and I have to reboot my phone to get it working again. I'm not in a 4G area so I have that turned off. Any ideas what it might be?

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only
4G wreaks havoc on my car speakers. Apparently in 1997 Volvo wasn't anticipating 4G LTE and didn't properly shield something or other, because every time I let the 4G fly I get all sorts of clicking and buzzing. Never had that problem with 3G in the car.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

NewcastleBrown posted:

4G wreaks havoc on my car speakers. Apparently in 1997 Volvo wasn't anticipating 4G LTE and didn't properly shield something or other, because every time I let the 4G fly I get all sorts of clicking and buzzing. Never had that problem with 3G in the car.

What about with a 3G GSM phone? Those used to drive speakers bananas.

I wonder if it's a function of the 700MHz band that VZW is using?

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

AlexDeGruven posted:

What about with a 3G GSM phone? Those used to drive speakers bananas.

I wonder if it's a function of the 700MHz band that VZW is using?

No idea, I haven't used a GSM phone in a while. Haven't noticed anything with other people in my car either, but I don't know.

My OG Droid messed with my ultra lovely speakers on my work computer if it was too close, but never in the car.

I usually have 4G off because I'm on the edge of a service area and I don't want to bother, but when I get into range I like to turn it back on. Everything except AM radio and the tape deck are shot in my car stereo, so I'm mostly limited to streaming over my phone. Kinda annoying that I have to use old technology to do it when I could be using new technology!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

NewcastleBrown posted:

No idea, I haven't used a GSM phone in a while. Haven't noticed anything with other people in my car either, but I don't know.

My OG Droid messed with my ultra lovely speakers on my work computer if it was too close, but never in the car.

I usually have 4G off because I'm on the edge of a service area and I don't want to bother, but when I get into range I like to turn it back on. Everything except AM radio and the tape deck are shot in my car stereo, so I'm mostly limited to streaming over my phone. Kinda annoying that I have to use old technology to do it when I could be using new technology!

I used to know when I was getting a call in my car because the radio would crackle a few seconds before my phone would ring. Haven't noticed it with my new car though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I used to know when I was getting a call in my car because the radio would crackle a few seconds before my phone would ring. Haven't noticed it with my new car though.

That means the wires/radio in your new car are probably shielded from interference.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I've been playing with battery modes just so I can get an idea of what to expect.

On max performance, I'm sitting at ~70% charge at the end of a workday under my normal use patterns (really only using the phone at lunch). That's with LTE on and push enabled for everything (including work email.) That idle usage is close to what I would see with my OG Droid.

I'm doing the battery saver mode right now where it disables data when the phone is idle for 15 minutes since my phone sits most of the day doing nothing. As expected, the battery really isn't being touched. I'm >90% after 5 hours off charge.

Tomorrow, I may disable 4G and see what the battery is like sitting around on 3G all day.

I think they really need to have an extra battery profile that shuts off 4G when idle for 15 minutes and switches to 3G until woken up. 3g is more than sufficient for background push notifications and 4G is really only needed on interactive use. It just seems like that's the best compromise for 4G phones until the 2nd gen chipsets come out that are less power hungry.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

I've been playing with battery modes just so I can get an idea of what to expect.

On max performance, I'm sitting at ~70% charge at the end of a workday under my normal use patterns (really only using the phone at lunch). That's with LTE on and push enabled for everything (including work email.) That idle usage is close to what I would see with my OG Droid.

I'm doing the battery saver mode right now where it disables data when the phone is idle for 15 minutes since my phone sits most of the day doing nothing. As expected, the battery really isn't being touched. I'm >90% after 5 hours off charge.

Tomorrow, I may disable 4G and see what the battery is like sitting around on 3G all day.

I think they really need to have an extra battery profile that shuts off 4G when idle for 15 minutes and switches to 3G until woken up. 3g is more than sufficient for background push notifications and 4G is really only needed on interactive use. It just seems like that's the best compromise for 4G phones until the 2nd gen chipsets come out that are less power hungry.

That is honestly a really loving good idea.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Mighty Horse posted:

Its a Samsung Epic 4G with wimax ripped out and LTE shoved in.
... and therefore will probably suck.

With the rumors of the next Google Nexus device flying I don't understand why anyone would buy a current device rather than wait 6-10 weeks to see how those pan out.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

^^^ Seconding; that's a fantastic idea. Could this be done with Tasker? It seems like the sort of thing that justifies that app's existence, but is it capable of toggling 4G on Verizon phones?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

wandler20 posted:

Awesome, thanks for this.

One problem I'm having with my Bionic is my 3G seems to just stop working after a while and I have to reboot my phone to get it working again. I'm not in a 4G area so I have that turned off. Any ideas what it might be?

No idea but I would like to know. My X did that and my new Bionic is doing it as well. Drops 4g and 3g completely. I am not even moving around.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Marketing Shill posted:

No idea but I would like to know. My X did that and my new Bionic is doing it as well. Drops 4g and 3g completely. I am not even moving around.

Me neither, just sitting in my dock at my desk streaming SiriusXM.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rastor posted:

With the rumors of the next Google Nexus device flying I don't understand why anyone would buy a current device rather than wait 6-10 weeks to see how those pan out.

Because some of us were already waiting 8 weeks or more on top of that.

At some point you can't keep waiting for "the next big thing."

Nevermind the fact that it's still looking like a Nexus on Verizon will be a pipe dream. Knowing Samsung's track record they'll probably stuff a tegra 2 or some single core high clocked processor in the Verizon Droid Prime variant just because.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I'm still trying to resist temptation with the Bionic. I really want to wait till the Vigor comes out but my willpower is slowing eroding away :(

bull3964 posted:

Because some of us were already waiting 8 weeks or more on top of that.

At some point you can't keep waiting for "the next big thing."

Nevermind the fact that it's still looking like a Nexus on Verizon will be a pipe dream. Knowing Samsung's track record they'll probably stuff a tegra 2 or some single core high clocked processor in the Verizon Droid Prime variant just because.

They'll take a Palm Pre 2, remove the branding, and put Android on it. :v:

JayKay fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 13, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There are four main points as I see it.

CPU
Screen
Battery Life
Software

Of those 4, the only 2 that are going to really improve a lot the remainder this year are screen (rumored) and software. Software doesn't bother me much as Motorola has been timely in their updates in the past and the Bionic is running OMAP4 which should make porting even easier.

So that leaves screen. If the Vigor and the mystery samsung device get true 1280x720 screens, it will tempt me to exchange. However, if getting that resolution comes at expense of a much larger device (Bionic is about as large as I want to go) or massive battery drains, then I may not bother.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

bull3964 posted:

There are four main points as I see it.

CPU
Screen
Battery Life
Software

Of those 4, the only 2 that are going to really improve a lot the remainder this year are screen (rumored) and software. Software doesn't bother me much as Motorola has been timely in their updates in the past and the Bionic is running OMAP4 which should make porting even easier.

So that leaves screen. If the Vigor and the mystery samsung device get true 1280x720 screens, it will tempt me to exchange. However, if getting that resolution comes at expense of a much larger device (Bionic is about as large as I want to go) or massive battery drains, then I may not bother.

I'm probably not the norm, but I'm very open to a phone that has a larger than 4.3" screen.

My biggest concern about the Vigor is that I'm not seeing anything that says it's going to have a larger than normal battery. Also it's supposedly going to be called the Thunderbolt 2, which is a stigma I'm not sure it really wants :v:

I'm just getting really frustrated with my Thunderbolt. Battery life isn't terrible as long as it's on 3G only, however for some reason my phone is having issues getting the 3G data connection when I switch between 4G and 3G only. In order to go from 4G to 3G only and get data, I have to reboot my phone.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 13, 2011

Sohcahtoa82
Sep 10, 2011

Mighty Horse posted:

WHAT?!

Why the hell would you not use the keyboard? I mean, if you already have a physical keyboard on your phone, why would you opt to use the touch-screen keyboard instead of the physical one? Do most people REALLY prefer a touch keyboard?

I figured people preferred slates over sliders because they're thinner and lighter, and they don't have a moving part that can break (Though I've had my OG Droid for almost 2 years and I abuse the sliding and it works just as well as the day I got it). I can't believe people actually prefer touch-screen keys over physical keys when the option is there. You can't feel the edges of the buttons! There's no feedback! And half the screen has to be taken up by the keyboard! Another sentence with an exclamation point!

To each his own, I guess, but I absolutely despise virtual keyboards. I GOTTA have a physical one. I won't consider a phone without one.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today

Sohcahtoa82 posted:

Physical Keyboard

Swype, SwiftKey, etc are about as easy as typing on a physical keyboard. Keyboards add unneeded bulk to the phone. I can type pretty fast with Swype.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

ModestMuse posted:

Swype, SwiftKey, etc are about as easy as typing on a physical keyboard.

That isn't true for everyone.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Codiusprime posted:

That isn't true for everyone.

And even if it was, they still consume 50% (portrait) to 80% (landscape) of the screen real estate.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Man, I wish the D3 was 4G :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Codiusprime posted:

Man, I wish the D3 was 4G :(

I would've been the first SOB in line for one if it was. :(

• Locked thread