Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh and as much as I love my (True? Classic?) Red, Velocity Red is even better, and might only be second to the orange on the '05 MSM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Franco Caution posted:

Yes it is. That was probably one of the biggest smile moments I had the first time I realized the new car could do that.
Im on a Droid X and as long as I use the Stock Android music player, it displays all the track, artist, and album info on that little GPS screen.

Mind if I share that tidbit on other forums? Nobody has gotten a phone to stream info over BT as far as I'm aware, only from a windows laptop.

Here is the thread I've been following. There is a whole lot of confusion about the situation.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 15, 2011

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Cygni posted:

Mind if I share that tidbit on other forums? Nobody has gotten a phone to stream info over BT as far as I'm aware, only from a windows laptop.

Here is the thread I've been following. There is a whole lot of confusion about the situation.

Sure thing.
Maybe its a 2012 thing but it worked like that first time I fired up the car.
I walked to the dealership to go pick up the car since I live down the street. On the way there I had been listening to music. First thing I did when I sat in the car was pair the phone. The car took over from there and began playing a song from my playlist I had been previously listening to on the walk over. Track name, artist name, and album showed up instantly.

If it helps at all
-2012 Mazdaspeed3 Touring, Tech Package
-Droid X Phone. Android Version 2.3.3, system version 4.5.602.MB810

To answer the question about the seats, I think the only thing that changes is the head rests at some point were different on one of the gen2 years. I too hated the seats when I first saw pics of them. In person they arent too bad at all and I now actually like the contrast.

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 15, 2011

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
FWIW I didn't really like the interior display on the 2011 (non speed) 3 I test drove and it doesn't look like they changed a ton

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Bovril Delight posted:

Are the seats in the 2012 just as hideous as they were before? The Alcantara seats in the first gens are amazing.

One of my favorite things from the 08.5 refresh, so glad I waited instead of getting an 08

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cygni posted:

I thought my friend said his iphone does that.
edit: Oh no it doesn't. My bad.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

opengl128 posted:

One of my favorite things from the 08.5 refresh, so glad I waited instead of getting an 08

The best seats. :allears:

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Just bought a 2007 Speed6. Picking it up tomorrow. Pretty excited.

Coming from a Lanncer GTS. I wanted something a bit faster, with AWD and a stereo that won't wind up with me being deaf in the near future.

Oh and I've lusted after these cars since they appeared on the scene.

50k Miles. Interior looks brand new. Exterior is the slightly gay blue/silver looking color. Don't care. Lah LAh Lah!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If you wanted an AWD car why did you get a Speed 3 :haw:

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Nodoze posted:

If you wanted an AWD car why did you get a Speed 3 :haw:

add another 3 to what you said and you get what I said in the post :clint:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Laranzu posted:

add another 3 to what you said and you get what I said in the post :clint:

Oh poo poo :doh:

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Picked it up today. At 50,000 miles it has less squeaks and rattles than my brand new Lancer. It goes (omg) faster. Its quieter. Its everything I ever wanted in a car..minus the auxiliary input jack.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Laranzu posted:

Picked it up today. At 50,000 miles it has less squeaks and rattles than my brand new Lancer. It goes (omg) faster. Its quieter. Its everything I ever wanted in a car..minus the auxiliary input jack.

Welcome to the club man! The lack of aux in does indeed suck.

Convergence
Apr 9, 2005
Anyone know where I can buy replacement weatherstripping for my 2007 6i hatch? The strip over the passenger doors flew off. I'm new to the whole DIY thing!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Convergence posted:

Anyone know where I can buy replacement weatherstripping for my 2007 6i hatch? The strip over the passenger doors flew off. I'm new to the whole DIY thing!

Try http://onlinemazdaparts.com/. I ordered a few spare keys from this shop/guy. Good service and not an awful price.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
So its probably new car paranoia, but is a loud hissing noise originating from somewhere near the front right fender normal on a speed6? Only happens above idle. Never owned a turbo before so to my simple mind its a huge vacuum leak but can't be. Thoughts are bypass valve or really really loud intake.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 19, 2011

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Does it go away with the AC turned off/on? Does it change (or does your idle change) when you press the brake pedal?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Not ac or brake booster dependent. Hopefully i can localize it better tomorrow.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 20, 2011

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
Is there an aftermarket intake or is it stock?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Sublime Process posted:

Is there an aftermarket intake or is it stock?

Stock intake. This car must have been owned by grandmas because the entire thing is stock and unmolested. Popped the hood and its possibly coming from the side of the block with the accessory belt on it? Could a tensioner be going out? Really don't think its vacuum related at this point, and power delivery seems smooth so it might not even be intake.

I'm still way under the warranty period they offered so I might just take it in and have them find out whats up, as it seems this isn't normal.
Almost sure its a noisey pulley now.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 20, 2011

Convergence
Apr 9, 2005

MetaJew posted:

Try http://onlinemazdaparts.com/. I ordered a few spare keys from this shop/guy. Good service and not an awful price.

Thanks man.

Just want to tell you guys I never gave a poo poo about cars... until I bought this mazda6. I had been "driving" an old regal and then an old camry and just had no idea what I was missing...

It's just the 6i, even, but I feel like I'm in a drat mclaren by comparison

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Laranzu posted:

Stock intake. This car must have been owned by grandmas because the entire thing is stock and unmolested. Popped the hood and its possibly coming from the side of the block with the accessory belt on it? Could a tensioner be going out? Really don't think its vacuum related at this point, and power delivery seems smooth so it might not even be intake.

I'm still way under the warranty period they offered so I might just take it in and have them find out whats up, as it seems this isn't normal.
Almost sure its a noisey pulley now.

I had my tensioner pulley go out right before my warranty and the noise it made (a rattle, compared to a sucking) cycled on/off with a/c. Not saying it couldn't be a possibility, just what I had happen. vOv

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

CharlesM posted:

I thought my friend said his iphone does that.
edit: Oh no it doesn't. My bad.

iPhone should do it with iOS5 this fall, I really do hope that it works on the Speed3 (I've got a 2010) since the big empty screen just displaying "BT Audio" should be put to better use.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Scratched my bumper today in a very narrow alley drat it. I already needed to have the other side fixed but this just ruined my day.

Thref
Oct 14, 2007
Yes.
Hi, I'm looking to get my first used car to commute in; it's not a very long commute, only 11 miles, but also want something fun that I can drive around. My budget is max 6500 which I doubt will get me much in the power department, but I really like Mazda hatchbacks and would like the extra room for hauling snowboard gear, etc. I've seen some Protege 5s going for around my budget in my area (Vancouver, B.C. so probably more expensive than what most of you are used to seeing used cars go for); such as http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rch/cto/2609195519.html.

Does anyone have any advice in looking at this year (2002-ish) Protege5s? Especially from craigslist? Any parts that are known to need replacing at the 100k+ mile range? Should I be looking at different models/makes for my budget? Is this the correct thread for these questions? Thanks!

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Well. Brought it to the fancy Mazdaspeed dealer that has the competent techs, not the ghetto one down the road. Had them replace all the fluids and flush everything, rebalance the tires and do all sorts of other useless voodoo to attempt to justify their price for "Performance Package D". Also had them try to pin down the hissing noise at no extra cost (beyond the rear end raping I already took)

They agreed with me that it does exist, but found no cause in any major systems. Second shop that said this too. They also agreed with me that the thing looks like it has 25,000 less miles and the suspension/motor mounts are in loving amazing condition. gently caress it. I'll enjoy my hissing noise until it turns out to be an IED and kills me.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Thref posted:

Hi, I'm looking to get my first used car to commute in; it's not a very long commute, only 11 miles, but also want something fun that I can drive around. My budget is max 6500 which I doubt will get me much in the power department, but I really like Mazda hatchbacks and would like the extra room for hauling snowboard gear, etc. I've seen some Protege 5s going for around my budget in my area (Vancouver, B.C. so probably more expensive than what most of you are used to seeing used cars go for); such as http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rch/cto/2609195519.html.

Does anyone have any advice in looking at this year (2002-ish) Protege5s? Especially from craigslist? Any parts that are known to need replacing at the 100k+ mile range? Should I be looking at different models/makes for my budget? Is this the correct thread for these questions? Thanks!

That link isn't working right now, but the Protege 5 was introduced in 2001, I think as a 2002 model, so there is only a 2002, 2002.5, and a 2003 model. Maybe there is a 2001 but I don't think so. The 2002.5 added a few changes, like side marker lights, and possibly the auto transmission that lets you select gears. In Canada I think you get the smoked headlights too.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Thref posted:

Hi, I'm looking to get my first used car to commute in;

In Canada I'd try to get the newest car I could afford. Rust is a pretty serious issue up there.

Canadian car prices are absurd.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I really like the Protege 5's. A friend of mine had one in college and sold it to move to the east coast and use the wifes Corolla. He bitches about the decision at least once a month and this was years ago.

Protege 5's keep their value a lot better than the normal Protege's, but they are great cars. Problem is that resale value keeps them in the same range as Civics and such with the same mileage, which are also fantastic commuter cars.

Protege should be just about as reliable as the Civic, but more fun to drive. No significant reliability failures vs a normal 100k mile used car, that I've heard. Either way, good choice, come join team mazda.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Protege 5s rust in ways that I didn't even think was possible. Make sure you go over it with a fine toothed comb.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Wobbuffet! Wobbuffet!! WHERE!?

Rhyno posted:

Welcome to the club man! The lack of aux in does indeed suck.

Installing an aux in is a surprisingly easy procedure. http://forum.mazda6club.com/mazdaspeed6/225354-how-3-5mm-stereo-bose-system.html

I think it cost me like $8 and about 20 minutes for the installation.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

stoko posted:

Installing an aux in is a surprisingly easy procedure. http://forum.mazda6club.com/mazdaspeed6/225354-how-3-5mm-stereo-bose-system.html

I think it cost me like $8 and about 20 minutes for the installation.

This is probably way cheaper than buying all the other components to activate iPod connectivity. What sort of cable did you use? A "CD-Rom cable isn't quite clear to me.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Back in the day those were cables that went from the back of the CD-ROM drive directly to the sound card. It would playback CD-audio data.

like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Cd-Rom-Standard-Audio-Header-Inch/dp/B000BSJD68/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1317024626&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-MPC-2-CD-ROM-Audio/dp/B00006HTM1/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1317024707&sr=1-1

etc.

edit: Look at the second review on the second link :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well that's excellent then. I never built PCs or messed with them much (my brother was the computer genius) so I was clueless.

Edit: Oh my god, I just dropped $700 in rear brakes and labor. I'm gonna have a stroke.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 28, 2011

SiB
May 6, 2005
I just got back from Skyactiv technical training...

Its definitely quite the setup, the throttle pedal is more like a "torque pedal" it doesn't control the throttle blade anymore. The engine RPM does odd things while driving. You push on the pedal to go, but that doesn't mean the RPM will increase.

Direct injected at 2900psi, vacuum pump to run the brakes because at certain times there is no vacuum... the craziest looking pistons I have ever seen in a gas motor. Variable compression (VVT tricks), miller cycle mode, very odd connecting rods (all forged internals), small bore long stroke, variable duration camshafts (more VVT tricks), electronically variable oil pressure control.

The transmissions are way nicer to get into. I can strip down the manual trans in about 8 minutes. The auto in about 10 minutes, the auto has a "mechatronic module", that is the valve body, shift solenoids, and TCM all in one. Torque convertor is locked up 88% of the time, it will rev match on downshifts. It goes on and on...

Fuel economy numbers just shy of the VW clean diesels, and more hp/torque than the last 2.3L

Heres some propaganda.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVXbLeZie5Y&feature=feedu

SiB fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 8, 2011

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So it's basically a diesel...that runs on gasoline.

Fuckin' A. Mazda always needs some alternative form of combustion (Wankel, Miller cycle) and since neither of the last two panned out, let's try another!

This is why Mazda is awesome, by the way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Fuckin' A. Mazda always needs some alternative form of combustion (Wankel, Miller cycle) and since neither of the last two panned out, let's try another!

I can't wait til they turbo it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

IOwnCalculus posted:

In the announcement for the final edition of the RX-8, there was a nugget from the CEO/chairman that said they are still developing the next rotary. I know this is an MZR thread and not a rotary thread, but i was pretty loving excited to read that.

Mazda is so batshit and I love it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

SiB posted:

I just got back from Skyactiv technical training...

Heres some propaganda.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVXbLeZie5Y&feature=feedu

"MAZDAEYESONLY"?

I wonder if any other car makers will want to license this technology or they will just figure out something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiB
May 6, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ya but this time its Otto cycle and it will switch to miller when it needs to, all with the dual VVT. Basically a diesel yes, but it still has spark plugs, that weird hole in the center of the piston combats detonation, along with the ion sensors in the coils.

Now we didnt do any diesel stuff because they will not be here til next year.... We only get one diesel here and that will be the 200hp, 300tq twin sequential turbo, 2.2L I think and of course the fuel economy will be outstanding.

The 2012 Skyactiv Mazda 3 is only partially Skyactiv. It uses the engine and transmission, whereas the 2013 will be fully Skyactiv..... body, chassis, drievtrain so the fuel economy numbers will be even better.