Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Veritas posted:

thats what i told you at GSS ganja. you had good corner speed, and looked comfortable. i told you not to stress to much over BP, and just think about the line, and more importantly, have fun. you were moving at a decent pace out there. we'll ride together soon again, i'll shoot more vid. so many novices get hung up on 'being rossi', it's hard to instruct them.

Yeah I'm a difficult person to instruct I'm guessing. I wasn't ignoring your advice, in all honesty I learn much better from doing/seeing so for example when you videoed me it made a lot more sense than someone saying I need to get lower on the bike. I think I was also a bit fixated on my BP as that was the main feedback the instructor (Joe I think?) was giving me earlier on.

Looking forward to the next TD with you guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

Post the supermoto'est track face you got

Your positioning is all off. You skipped the dirt section!

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Veritas posted:

Post the posiest pictures you got:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Anyone headed to Barber this weekend to run with Sportbike Track Time? I'm headed over for Saturday only, looks like a fun track.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

Z3n posted:

Post the posiest pictures you got:

nice one!

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Spiffness is late to this party, but he's a huge poser.

*kickstand photoshoped out

Zool fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 14, 2011

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
keep 'em coming

whooping up on 'the texas tornado'

fellow racer photoshopped that, i did a double take when i first saw it.

Veritas fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 13, 2011

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Haha, I love it. :D

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Veritas posted:

fellow racer photoshopped that, i did a double take when i first saw it.

I thought that was real for a little bit.. and my first thought was you need more sponsors..

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I'm headed to Barber this weekend and was planning on using my SV650. My room mate has offered to let me use his R6 track bike for the day, he is figuring out a "rental" cost.

If I use the R6 I'll swap it back to normal shift instead of the GP shift he has I think, make it slightly less likely that I kill myself.

Would borrowing the R6 for the day be a good idea or should I just stick with my SV with commuter tires and upright bars?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'm headed to Barber this weekend and was planning on using my SV650. My room mate has offered to let me use his R6 track bike for the day, he is figuring out a "rental" cost.

If I use the R6 I'll swap it back to normal shift instead of the GP shift he has I think, make it slightly less likely that I kill myself.

Would borrowing the R6 for the day be a good idea or should I just stick with my SV with commuter tires and upright bars?

Run the R6. God, they are fantastic trackbikes. Everything about them that's stupid and lame on the street is simply not a problem on the track.

That is, as long as his "rental" fee is reasonable.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
agreed about the R6. i wouldn't want one for street (uncomfortable as hell to me), but it would be sweet for track.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
If you're comfortable riding someone else's bike on the track, go for it. Personally I can't have any fun on a bike that isn't mine. Too worried about breaking someone else's stuff to actually open the thing up and have some fun.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

-Inu- posted:

If you're comfortable riding someone else's bike on the track, go for it. Personally I can't have any fun on a bike that isn't mine. Too worried about breaking someone else's stuff to actually open the thing up and have some fun.

I always have a great time until I have a moment, and then I have those images of wadding someone else's poo poo and the affiliated repair bills start to go through my head...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Looks like I'm taking the R6. So I'll be the guy in novice on a full race bike.

Rode it into work today to get a feel for it, of course it started pouring about 5 minutes out. The GP shift isn't too bad, still trying to decide if I want to revert to normal or not.

Should be a fun weekend. Will suck if I wad it up but then maybe I'll get a good price on a track bike since he wants to upgrade anyway.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If it's easy to do, I'd flip it to standard shift. One less thing to think about.

Also, be sure to properly warn it up...those bikes really need to be properly warm before they go out. I can grab the routine I use to make sure the oil is warm, not just the coolant, if you want.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

Also, be sure to properly warn it up...those bikes really need to be properly warm before they go out. I can grab the routine I use to make sure the oil is warm, not just the coolant, if you want.

That would be great. The less change I have of killing the bike the better.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

That would be great. The less change I have of killing the bike the better.

This is ripped from EDR's words...one of the few engine builders out there who's bikes I'd buy.

quote:

Immediately after startup, hold idle to around 2K for the first few moments as oil pressure will be low for those few moments and the higher idle will raise oil psi to within safe pressures.

Heat soak – start it and let it idle till over 190 F degrees then shut it off.

1st Call

Warm it up again to 180-200 F degrees, shut it down.

When you get last call for race or practice start it up again should be near 150 F degrees, by the time you get thru pit and to the S/F line on the out lap it should be back up to operating temperature and should be ready to rip.

Now, this is for racing, but figure heat soak is going take place first thing in the morning.

First call is about 10 minutes before you roll it out for grid.

Final call is about 3 minutes before you go out on track.

Basically, it's super important to get it up to temp long before you actually run it. R6s are particularly prone to this, but no bike is going to be worse off if you follow these procedures.

You could also just stay off the high RPMs in the first 2-3 laps, but on an R6, that's murder.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I really need a trailtech vapor for warming up, since my husky has no temp gauge and is running SAE60 now (it's what AMSoil recommended).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

I really need a trailtech vapor for warming up, since my husky has no temp gauge and is running SAE60 now (it's what AMSoil recommended).

Why would you listen to AMSOil over the designers of the engine?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

All loaded up and ready to roll tomorrow, going to be a great weekend.

Roommate gave me a quick overview of Barber. Terms used include back it in, jump the curb, drift and drag elbow. Ah the racer mentality.

Trying to decide if it is worth running tire warmers. I won't for the first session because I expect that to be a intro follow the leader session.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Z3n posted:

Why would you listen to AMSOil over the designers of the engine?

Well it was that or 20w-50, didn't know which would be better. Bike calls for 10w-50 but most of the husky community runs a wide range of stuff, from regular rotella up to avpg or whatever the manual calls for.

It also calls for some italian miracle oil for hydro clutch fluid while regular mineral oil from walmart works just fine. 12.99 + shipping for 10oz or 2.99 for 30oz and leaks anyway until you use an aftermarket clutch piston. Really all of the aftermarket parts I've thrown at the bike are to correct things that should have been done at the factory.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

quick overview of Barber
Watch out braking into turn 1 :v:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Gnaghi posted:

You're running straight 60 oil :pwn:

Dude your engine is begging for mercy at startup. That's just too thick at ambient temp to provide proper engine protection. Multigrade oils were developed for a reason... use em.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

All loaded up and ready to roll tomorrow, going to be a great weekend.

Roommate gave me a quick overview of Barber. Terms used include back it in, jump the curb, drift and drag elbow. Ah the racer mentality.

Trying to decide if it is worth running tire warmers. I won't for the first session because I expect that to be a intro follow the leader session.

Not worth it. Tire warmers are nice for race use but silly for track use. Take 1-2 warm up laps each time, lots of braking and acceleration to deform the tire and get the suspension working through its travel to heat the oil.

Gnaghi, you're not using straight 60 are you? :ohdear:

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Barber is awesome, you're gonna love it. and even if you're a novive, you'll be jumping the curb ;)

i use tire warmers on trackdays, but i'm also running race tires and trying to conserve tire life (keep heat cycles down). the average track day goer on a street bike, with street rubber shouldn't have to worry about it.

which brings me to my next point. what do you guys think of the pirelli diablo super corsas? got a set, and i have to say i'm quite pleased with them.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Veritas posted:

i use tire warmers on trackdays, but i'm also running race tires and trying to conserve tire life (keep heat cycles down). the average track day goer on a street bike, with street rubber shouldn't have to worry about it.

I'm running Power One race tires. If I was running street tires I wouldn't even think about it. With these I'll see how just doing warmup laps feels, if I get bored or have extra downtime between sessions I'll toss on the warmers.

Time to sit at work for ~4 hours watching Barber videos.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

needknees posted:

Oh my, yeah... use 10w-50. Remember the lower the number the better the oil is for a cold start, the higher the number the better it works when it's hot. Single weight 60 is too thick until the engine is up to temp.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Veritas posted:

Barber is awesome, you're gonna love it. and even if you're a novive, you'll be jumping the curb ;)

which brings me to my next point. what do you guys think of the pirelli diablo super corsas? got a set, and i have to say i'm quite pleased with them.

Even on my SV I was at the wearbars before the tires had heat cycled themselves to death. Heat cycles and modern tires is kind of a anachronism these days. There definitely were tires that did that 10+ years ago but these days you can run them to the wear bars on trackdays with no problems. But in spite of that you still get people replacing tires after 2 days because they're "done".

Diablo supercorsas are my favorite tire on the market right now. I've run them on every bike that had 17s that I've owned in the last year or so. That includes street/touring use on the drz/ktm, race use on the SV/Gsxr, and touring on them up to Seattle and back. I also had them on the F2 and they were good enough in the wet to pull the back end off the ground. They also go off really progressively so I'm not afraid of running them into the ground because I know it'll slide nicely and progressively. After 7 trackdays on a rear takeoff on my SV, I had it go off and spent an awesome session sliding the bike into the corners and back out of them. It was awesome. Can't speak highly enough of the tires.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Nitro, no point in bothering with warmers, assuming you're running a N pace. The tires are just going to cool down once you get on the track.

Z3n, I agree with you for every brand except Michelins. Their race tires are notorious for heat cycling and holy gently caress if I wasn't on a slip-n-slide last time I ran a (slightly) heat cycled power one rear.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

-Inu- posted:

Nitro, no point in bothering with warmers, assuming you're running a N pace. The tires are just going to cool down once you get on the track.

Z3n, I agree with you for every brand except Michelins. Their race tires are notorious for heat cycling and holy gently caress if I wasn't on a slip-n-slide last time I ran a (slightly) heat cycled power one rear.

I ran the P1s on my SV for awhile and never had any issues with them going off even when heavily worn. SVs are lighter on tires though...didn't like the way they felt, and they never paid me the contingency I earned (:argh:) so I dumped them. :sigh:

The older PRs definitely had that problem though, so I'm not surprised to hear it carried over to some degree on their new ones. I've just never really clicked with Michelin track tires, although I love their road tires. :iiam:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

needknees posted:

I emailed amsoil this morning and a guy called me at work. What he said is SAE 60 is not really "straight 60". The cold starting weight is just not measured or not advertised, but it would be 20w-60 if it was. It isn't as if it's 60w-60 and he said the bike will be fine for track and street, even into the fall. The manual calls for 10w-60, and 20w-50 is commonly used too.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

I emailed amsoil this morning and a guy called me at work. What he said is SAE 60 is not really "straight 60". The cold starting weight is just not measured or not advertised, but it would be 20w-60 if it was. It isn't as if it's 60w-60 and he said the bike will be fine for track and street, even into the fall. The manual calls for 10w-60, and 20w-50 is commonly used too.

Seriously? :wtc:

That's a pretty important thing. I've always been a little leery of AMSOil, but that's pretty loving over the top for anyone.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Yeah but I've heard that elsewhere about all SAE-- oils. I dunno why they do it, industry practices or whatever, but it isn't like it's amsoils own dirty trick.

I actually was going to go with the agip oil first but they only sell by the case.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

Yeah but I've heard that elsewhere about all SAE-- oils. I dunno why they do it, industry practices or whatever, but it isn't like it's amsoils own dirty trick.

I actually was going to go with the agip oil first but they only sell by the case.

Personally, I wouldn't use any oil that didn't have an advertised cold start viscosity at the appropriate level. It will probably be ok, but highest wear is going to occur when the oil is cold and hasn't thinned out yet, and no modern bike calls for SAE oil, they all call for proper multiweight oils. There's a reason we use them.

According to AMSOil's site, their SAE60 should be used only in bikes that call specifically for SAE 60 (IE, early air cooled Harleys).

http://www.motorcycleoil.co/Amsoil-SAE60-Motorcycle-Oil.html

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Z3n posted:

It will probably be ok,

Yeah I'm just hoping to get through one event, in more ways than one. Fall is here and temps will be dropping so I can switch it out anytime after the event. Still don't want to drop $122 on agip though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

Yeah I'm just hoping to get through one event, in more ways than one. Fall is here and temps will be dropping so I can switch it out anytime after the event. Still don't want to drop $122 on agip though.

What about MotoREX? It's 10w60 and what the KTM runs.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Z3n posted:

What about MotoREX? It's 10w60 and what the KTM runs.

That looks pretty good. You can't order from the company but you can buy it on amazon and get free shipping. Also a place 30 minutes away carries it too.

It works out to be around $100 every 1000 miles if I stick to the street change intervals, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

That looks pretty good. You can't order from the company but you can buy it on amazon and get free shipping. Also a place 30 minutes away carries it too.

It works out to be around $100 every 1000 miles if I stick to the street change intervals, haha.

This is why I didn't buy a "proper" supermoto for street use. Those oil change intervals are murder.

• Locked thread