Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Soul Nomad has one of the most hilariously broken game systems of any JRPG ever let alone a NI game and its main story is super anime until it randomly goes off the deep end. I'd only give it credit for having one of the best evil sides of any game ever which would be nice if you didn't have to basically do it on a new game +.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Douche Bag posted:

I liked it :colbert: Although I've never played the original so I don't that that to compare it to.

You really shouldn't need anything to compare it to in order to realize it's loving dire.

But that's the nature of this place, no matter how lovely a game there's always at least one person who will recommend it as though it's top-tier.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Does anyone have much to say about Soma Bringer and the fan translation? Been interested in this but haven't gotten around to it myself, and am starting to have to get choosy about what I play in my time.

One Hand Clapping
Aug 21, 2011
I so want this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb3ext0i5UQ

Yea the graphics look kind of crappy. But the combination of old-school Wizardry style gameplay, mixed in with a healthy dose of humor, and the fact that it was made by ONE PERSON, puts it on my want list.

Check out the website here

http://rampantgames.com/frayedknights/

One Hand Clapping fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 17, 2011

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Rascyc posted:

Does anyone have much to say about Soma Bringer and the fan translation? Been interested in this but haven't gotten around to it myself, and am starting to have to get choosy about what I play in my time.

The plot's boring and you should probably skip all of it, but the game is pretty fun, especially with a friend. It's basically Japanese Diablo so it depends on how much you liked that game, I suppose. The translation is complete and while you'll be skipping the plot there's still a lot of important text to read, and it's competent in that regard for sure.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I don't know if it's still available, but I played the pilot episode of Frayed Knights. The highlight was definitely the humor. I've been reading the creator's blog ever since I played the pilot, and I've been looking forward to the finished product.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

They have to be loving joking by releasing a Suikoden on PSP now. This is something that would have been brilliant a year ago. There is zero chance of a localisation. Jesus, Konami. Jesus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySAlckdIaic&feature=player_embedded

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Wendell posted:

But that's the nature of this place, no matter how lovely a game there's always at least one person who will recommend it as though it's top-tier.

It's babies first SRPG but I never would have tried Disgaea or FFT if I hadn't picked it up.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Rascyc posted:

The translation is fine, but as said the plot isn't anything special. I'm not even saying it's bad, I just can't remember anything about it as it left no impression whatsoever. But the combat is fun and you can customize your character in a wide variety of ways which I liked.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Rascyc posted:

Does anyone have much to say about Soma Bringer and the fan translation? Been interested in this but haven't gotten around to it myself,
I really enjoyed the game, plot was meh, but I love the battle system and the graphics really got me. I say definitely invest some time into it. I really liked how you could fuse a weapon to a button, remind me of folklore (which was the only good part about that game). Also, the fan translation isn't 100% complete, theres a few item descriptions missing (which doesn't really matter though). This will tell you everything you need to know: http://wiki.rpgclassics.com/index.php?title=Soma_Bringer

Rascyc posted:

and am starting to have to get choosy about what I play in my time.
Getting old sucks :( I wish I had half the time I did as a kid to play games.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Wendell posted:

They have to be loving joking by releasing a Suikoden on PSP now. This is something that would have been brilliant a year ago. There is zero chance of a localisation. Jesus, Konami. Jesus.

It would have been brilliant 3 years ago. It would have been oddly last-minute a year ago. Now it is truly strange.

Maybe it'll be downloadable on the Vita also? Hopefully along with the sequel, since it's, you know, one of the greatest RPGs ever made.

E: hahaha, I'm an idiot, this is actually a new game

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 19, 2011

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Wendell posted:

gently caress you konami gently caress yooouuuuuuuuuuuuuu

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Well, at least the Vita isn't region-locked.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Doc Hawkins posted:

Maybe it'll be downloadable on the Vita also? Hopefully along with the sequel, since it's, you know, one of the greatest RPGs ever made.

I dunno, I get this feeling that it's just another dumb Tierkreis, so I wouldn't feel too bad about missing out.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

It would have been brilliant 3 years ago. It would have been oddly last-minute a year ago. Now it is truly strange.

If it's a PSP title then you can play it on Vita unless they're doing something weird like utilizing the camera or something.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

The White Dragon posted:

I dunno, I get this feeling that it's just another dumb Tierkreis, so I wouldn't feel too bad about missing out.

I was under the impression that Tierkreis was a pretty good game with a nice story, was I wrong?

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
The tedious dungeons made me give up on Tierkreis pretty quickly. Not permanently, but there are many more games I'd like to play before considering Tierkreis again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

casual poster posted:

I was under the impression that Tierkreis was a pretty good game with a nice story, was I wrong?

Nah. It was pretty terrible and the story was really dumb. I can't think of anything positive to say about it.

I'm hesitant about a new Suikoden since they dissolved the team but... a new Suikoden is a new Suikdoen.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Anyone been keeping an eye on Lord of the Rings: War in the North? It looks kinda interesting and I was considering pre-ordering it but I've never played a Snowblind Studios game.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

Nah. It was pretty terrible and the story was really dumb. I can't think of anything positive to say about it.

I'm hesitant about a new Suikoden since they dissolved the team but... a new Suikoden is a new Suikdoen.

'A new Suikoden is a new Suikoden' is going to become a pejorative if they keep churning out butter poo poo like Tierkeis. Sort of like Silent Hill has become.

That said if they get the old team together then maybe it'll be alright, but goddamn I want Suikosix on my HD console.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Douche Bag posted:

Anyone been keeping an eye on Lord of the Rings: War in the North? It looks kinda interesting and I was considering pre-ordering it but I've never played a Snowblind Studios game.

They made the Everquest and Baldur's Gate-themed hack & slash games, which weren't bad for what they were. Makes me wonder if War of the North will follow the other LOTR titles in that regard.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Lone Rogue posted:

Radiant Historia:

- I just hit two dead ends. I went with the special intelligence crew and hit a dead end about waiting for a merchant. I went with my best friends army and we got stuck at the mine waiting for the dynamite. Where do I go from here? I really don't want to touch the GameFAQ. Not sure where to go from here.

I really, really like the game so far but the amount of text you have to constantly skip is annoying.

I feel like Radiant Historia would have been an amazing game for me to play as a kid. The potential to really get into the story by being able to replay events is pretty amazing. I can't stomach the game now though. Even though I really enjoyed the combat system, having to skip through pages of text and constantly running into dead ends is past my level of patience.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

'A new Suikoden is a new Suikoden' is going to become a pejorative if they keep churning out butter poo poo like Tierkeis. Sort of like Silent Hill has become.

That said if they get the old team together then maybe it'll be alright, but goddamn I want Suikosix on my HD console.

I'm not saying it's an assured good thing but I also am happy the franchise isn't completely dead yet. I suppose we'll see.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not saying it's an assured good thing but I also am happy the franchise isn't completely dead yet. I suppose we'll see.

Don't get me wrong, I really want to be excited. I didn't really care for 3 (yeah I know) or 4 but 5 was just fantastic for me. If we can get something more like that I'll be all over it. But I still want my console version - I really dislike the move towards handhelds in gaming. I get why it is that way, I just don't like the result.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
To everyone suggesting "you can just play it on Vita", I wouldn't get ahead of yourselves. Vita does not have a UMD slot, and unless this is released on PSN I would NOT trust Sony to properly support backward compatibility.

"There will be a UMD reader (optional $59.99 device)" *never releases anything*
"We'll simply let you trade UMDs for access to PSN equivalents" *doesn't follow through, PSN equivalents do not exist for the games in question, or publishers -unanimously- do not support the option*

Until there is a rational way to get your PSP games on Vita the last thing I would recommend is Vita as a PSP.

This all assuming the Suikoden isn't garbage. I'd like to be optimistic, but considering Konami and the state of the industry in general, eh. This is gonna suck. :sigh:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Why does one assume you will discard the PSP once you get the Vita? I'm getting a 3DS soon but I'll still probably play most of my DS games on my Lite.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Nate RFB posted:

Why does one assume you will discard the PSP once you get the Vita? I'm getting a 3DS soon but I'll still probably play most of my DS games on my Lite.

Seriously, once the Vita comes out regular PSPs are going to be dirt cheap too. Just get both.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Baldbeard posted:

I feel like Radiant Historia would have been an amazing game for me to play as a kid. The potential to really get into the story by being able to replay events is pretty amazing. I can't stomach the game now though. Even though I really enjoyed the combat system, having to skip through pages of text and constantly running into dead ends is past my level of patience.

I have to agree. I wanted to try this game due to comparisons with Chrono Trigger, but the way the time travel mechanic has worked so far hasn't really compelled me, because it often feels like the main character isn't doing he should be doing with the knowledge he has. Also the whole mechanic that has things arbitrarily changing in another world due to what you do in one feels vague and vaguely deus ex machina-ish. I mean I'm sure the exact details of how this happens will eventually be explained but as it is I have no desire to return to the game. I really don't think it makes as good use of its core gimmick as Chrono Trigger does, or even Chrono Cross (Though it does seem to be a much better game overall than Cross).

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
You are aware that by pushing start, you can skip the cut scenes, right?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Speaking of Radiant Historia, I feel dumb for asking this but is there absolutely no map? I agree with the other complaints but the main thing I can't stand is getting lost trying to find the next location I need to get to.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Edit: I wasn't very helpful. Forgive my stupidity. The guy below has the correct answer.

RadicalR fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 19, 2011

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

HondaCivet posted:

Speaking of Radiant Historia, I feel dumb for asking this but is there absolutely no map? I agree with the other complaints but the main thing I can't stand is getting lost trying to find the next location I need to get to.

No map. Areas aren't too big and you can kinda dodge enemies, but yeah. You're playing it blind, or at least by memory once you've been through an area.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

RadicalR posted:

You are aware that by pushing start, you can skip the cut scenes, right?

Only took me about 12 hours of play time to figure this out :(

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Yeah I skip all the cutscenes the second time around. It's not replaying stuff that bothers me, it's just the lack of agency I feel in general.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Looking for suggestions for an RPG with a lot of character customizability, along with a massive amount of variety in clothing and armor design, along with pretty graphics (I like playing dress-up basically). Also less important is a relatively open-ended world without much of a plot. Stuff happening, yeah, but more in a "well here's some stuff to do in this town" way than a "I'm following the story" way.
Oblivion and Fallout come pretty close, but there just isn't that much variety in armor, and the general look and feel of everything is kind of disappointing. Also I spend more time with those games trying out various mods than actually playing them. Morrowind and Daggerfall are closer, and have larger and more varied worlds, but the graphics are bleh.
Resonance of Fate looks pretty excellent, but I'm not a fan of the JRPG set plotline. Also I don't have a PS3.
Actually a game like Saint's Row 2 gets very close, but I still don't like the plot.
Games like KOTOR, DA and Mass Effect bum me out for having such a limited range of options.

I know this is a weird and shallow thing to focus on, but a lot of times I'm not really invested in these games beyond just "oh this is rather pretty" and "hmm I wonder what my character would do in this situation?"
For example, for me, Mass Effect was an interesting chose your own adventure book with irritatingly long shooting sequences.

Viash
Mar 17, 2003

zachol posted:

Looking for suggestions for an RPG with a lot of character customizability, along with a massive amount of variety in clothing and armor design, along with pretty graphics (I like playing dress-up basically). Also less important is a relatively open-ended world without much of a plot. Stuff happening, yeah, but more in a "well here's some stuff to do in this town" way than a "I'm following the story" way.
Oblivion and Fallout come pretty close, but there just isn't that much variety in armor, and the general look and feel of everything is kind of disappointing. Also I spend more time with those games trying out various mods than actually playing them. Morrowind and Daggerfall are closer, and have larger and more varied worlds, but the graphics are bleh.
Resonance of Fate looks pretty excellent, but I'm not a fan of the JRPG set plotline. Also I don't have a PS3.
Actually a game like Saint's Row 2 gets very close, but I still don't like the plot.
Games like KOTOR, DA and Mass Effect bum me out for having such a limited range of options.

I know this is a weird and shallow thing to focus on, but a lot of times I'm not really invested in these games beyond just "oh this is rather pretty" and "hmm I wonder what my character would do in this situation?"
For example, for me, Mass Effect was an interesting chose your own adventure book with irritatingly long shooting sequences.

Have you tried the Monster Hunter series? It's only kind of an rpg though, more of an action game with rpg elements. It has a ton of different armors and weapons with a wide variety of looks, and not really a plot beyond "you're a monster hunter, you make your living hunting monsters, ok get to it."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Hmm, no I haven't. I think I might have been confusing the series with something else ("Monster" something), I'll have to give it another look.

Fermata Forever
Feb 3, 2005
Child prostitution isn't so bad if the child is okay with it, guys
Here's a list of the computer RPGs I've played and ones I'm thinking about (though I probably won't get the ones near the bottom of the list). Anything else that I should add to the list?

Thoroughly enjoyed:

Arcanum
Baldur’s Gate I, II & Throne of Bhaal
Deus Ex
Dragon Age: Origins
Fallout I, II, III
Gothic I & II
Icewind Dale I & II
Knights of the Old Republic I & II
Mass Effect 1 & 2
Neverwinter Nights II: Mask of the Betrayer
Planescape: Torment
Temple of Elemental Evil (best combat system makes up for mediocre story & missions)
Vampire: Bloodlines
The Witcher

Mildly enjoyed:

Avernum I & II
Divine Divinity
Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark
Neverwinter Nights II & Storms Of Zehir
Ultima VII (only got halfway before HD died)
Wizardry VIII

Didn’t enjoy:

Diablo II (pure hack & slash gets boring after a while)
Neverwinter Nights 1 & Shadows over Undrentide

On my radar (starting with most likely to play):

Fallout New Vegas
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Alpha Protocol
The Witcher II
Bioshock
Drakensang
Divinity II: DKS
Dragon Age: Awakening
Two Worlds II
Morrowind
Oblivion

Can’t run:

System Shock 2

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Bioshock is not an RPG. Also for Drakensang, you might as well skip to The River of Time since it's a better game overall.

I'd also recommend you completely skip Oblivion and just play Nehrim. Nehrim gets you the good parts of Oblivion and fixes most of the bad parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's old but I've been (re)enthralled with Ultima Underworld. The controls take a bit to get used to but the game is proof that level design just isn't what it used to be. In the first five minutes I stumbled on a secret door and took a swim down an underground river to wind up halfway across the map on the complete opposite side of where I was supposed to go fighting goblins and poo poo on the way back. There's a bug in the game where sound effects are replaced with piano sounds but I haven't bothered fixing it because it actually sounds nice.