Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ydaetskcoR
Apr 29, 2008
So for future reference if I want to stay clean I should walk up to the guard at the front gate and just bluff my way in?

Playing through the end game mission now and there seems to be a good half dozen branching points here alone. I can't even begin to think how many playthroughs you'd need to see everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
If you count small dialogue lines, there's just... a fuckton of different variations. Just depending on if you stay majorly within a certain dialogue stance in the game, or if you change it up, people can react to that. Or a conversation option (say a Suave option) can open up three new dialogue variations off of that. It's pretty crazy once you start to experiment with it.
For example, just a small one. If you constantly spare civilians in your missions, yet act like you don't care about casualties when speaking with Leland, he will call you on that saying that you're bluffing.

For the embassy mission, when I last played I sided with SIE and bluffed my way in. SIE doesn't comment on that in her e-mail after but in the mission summary it said that I had spared all the guards at least. I dunno if the bug is related to specifically siding with Albatross or whether it's sneaking in via the roof.

On the other hand, SIE also berates me for not killing all the enemies in the level. I figure this may be due to the Surkov dialogue triggering at the end of the mission even though there are still enemies left.

So that mission can be a bit wonky.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Don't you only fight Westridge at the end if you killed U.S. agents? I played through pacifist and still fought him for some reason, maybe the rooftop bug was it.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
You fight him if you make a really obvious decision just before the end to betray the United States.

-A69-
Apr 2, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Don't you only fight Westridge at the end if you killed U.S. agents? I played through pacifist and still fought him for some reason, maybe the rooftop bug was it.

Did you agree to help Shaheed before getting to the Graybox? That'll do it too.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

That, or if you've sided with Leland

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

-A69- posted:

Did you agree to help Shaheed before getting to the Graybox? That'll do it too.

Ah, this was it. I didn't betray the U.S., I just went with a lesser evil :(

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

I've gone through the OP and changed one or two things that were stupid or unclear. I'd like to do more to it though, so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know what needs changed. I also need the link that's at the bottom of the first post about unreal engine optimization, since I broke the link when copy/pasting it. It would also be great if someone could get a screenshot of the AA dialogue text bug to use as comparison!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I've finally got around to checking this off my steam backlog. I've hooked up my ps3 controller (with motion in joy emulating a 360 pad) and it's much better than when i was using the keyboard and mouse.

The only problem with it is the lock picking mini-game. There's one part of that which just won't work properly. It's when the tumbler has the smallest size and when I try to line it up, the trigger isn't accurate enough. It goes from not moving it to jumping past the point I need to activate.

The pressure sensitive thing works as, for all the other tumblers, I can adjust it finely. It's just that one tumbler type that's within some sort of dead zone so you can never get it. Is that a normal thing for the PC or is it maybe something to do with the PS3 controller.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

If anything it sounds like a deadzone setting in motion in joy.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Yeah, it works fine using the 360 controller with the PC version

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
It's because the game was designed on 360s and desite me telling him over and over and over again that the triggers on the ps3 are not sensitive enough, the minigame went in there unmodified.

grrrrrr

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Kin posted:

I've finally got around to checking this off my steam backlog. I've hooked up my ps3 controller (with motion in joy emulating a 360 pad) and it's much better than when i was using the keyboard and mouse.

The only problem with it is the lock picking mini-game. There's one part of that which just won't work properly. It's when the tumbler has the smallest size and when I try to line it up, the trigger isn't accurate enough. It goes from not moving it to jumping past the point I need to activate.

The pressure sensitive thing works as, for all the other tumblers, I can adjust it finely. It's just that one tumbler type that's within some sort of dead zone so you can never get it. Is that a normal thing for the PC or is it maybe something to do with the PS3 controller.

The PS3 triggers as is are kinda sucky for that thing. Look for something called Real Triggers, they're basically little plastic things you can get for $5 that just snap onto your PS3 controller to make L2 and R2 actual triggers, instead of weird little buttons that your finger will slip off.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Kin posted:

Turn off the deadzone in motion-in-joy. I had the exact same set-up and that's how I fixed it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Periodiko posted:

Turn off the deadzone in motion-in-joy. I had the exact same set-up and that's how I fixed it.

Could you tell me where this option is? I can't seem to find it.

edit: managed to find a post on the gamespot forums that helped me find it.

Kin fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Sep 19, 2011

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

While this game seems fairly rife with technical hiccups, I'm tempted to buy it for the story alone. I'm not one to pass up on a good spy thriller.

(Not sure about Dragon Age 2, but I did think that Dragon Age: Origins was a loving snoozefest.)

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Nuclear Tourist posted:

While this game seems fairly rife with technical hiccups, I'm tempted to buy it for the story alone. I'm not one to pass up on a good spy thriller.

(Not sure about Dragon Age 2, but I did think that Dragon Age: Origins was a loving snoozefest.)

It's a great game from the branching plot perspective. The actual game part is playable to. It's not really good, but it's playable and every now and then you will do something moderately cool.

Make sure you come back into the thread and complain about the crouching animation, we haven't had one of those for ages.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

It's a great game from the branching plot perspective. The actual game part is playable to. It's not really good, but it's playable and every now and then you will do something moderately cool.

Make sure you come back into the thread and complain about the crouching animation, we haven't had one of those for ages.

Yeah, it feels like the gameplay is almost right, but there are a lot of annoying little things so far that gently caress it up. For example, something as simple as the camera angle when climbing ladders is irritating. I've got an ability that lets me see the locations of all nearby enemies; if I'm climbing a ladder, is it too much to ask that the camera snap above it so that I can see the ledge I'm climbing up onto too?

The rest of it seems pretty awesome though. Completing objectives in one mission makes certain things in another easier, the dialogue tree type things with individuals. The hacking minigames suck rear end though and I only discovered during the second mission that my "stock" of emp grenades isn't actually what I can carry into missions (I think it's 2 per gadget slot isn't it?).

I'm still getting a little bit of "dead zone" with the ps3 triggers despite turning that off (dropping it to 0), but i'll be skipping all of that from now on by just carrying loads of emp stuff.

I'm also convinced that the first mission is impossible to stealth through properly. There's a checkpoint you have to bypass that has no means of bypassing other than running right up to it causing the turret guy to start shooting at you.

Kin fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 19, 2011

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Kin posted:

I'm also convinced that the first mission is impossible to stealth through properly. There's a checkpoint you have to bypass that has no means of bypassing other than running right up to it causing the turret guy to start shooting at you.

Which first mission? Sounds like you're talking about one of the Saudi missions, but the thing is, you can do them in any order.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Kin posted:

Whoa, you better stop trying to stealth this game if you want to keep your sanity. The point of stealth in this game is to setup kills/KOs. That being said it's pretty obvious to me that the beginning missions seemed to be made with ghosting in mind and they abandoned the concept for later missions.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Smol posted:

Which first mission? Sounds like you're talking about one of the Saudi missions, but the thing is, you can do them in any order.

Er, sorry, it's the one where you have to plant a bug at the comms tower or something.

It starts off all Arkham Asylum predator mode type stuff, with various routes that can be taken to bring down the guards. The second section's sub-task is "bypass the checkpoint" (which is a guy in a tower). The area is more or less a small stretch you have to go over before getting to the next hanger door under the tower and there are 2 guards on the ground. The problem is that the guy in the tower never looks away from the direction you're coming, and the path narrows so that you're forced to run directly in front of him. There's literally no way to sneak past that without setting off an alarm as far as I could see.

I think maybe a tranq dart (or something that silently and instantly took out the tower guard) might have been the solution to that, but I didn't have any. Even the sound emitter thing didn't work, I pointed that poo poo off to the side but I was still detected when sneaking up to the tower.

The second mission I did was to break into the underground prison place and hack a computer. The stealth has worked ok so far with it being like a less refined Arkham Asylum for both of those. Does that just get worse later on?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
You can pistol down the patroller underneath where the tower guard can't see, then hug the barriers on the left side and bypass him. Or just snipe him down with a rifle/toss a grenade up there.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I know what part you're talking about. I was always able to run up under the tower despite the guard on top watching. If that doesn't work then I'm not sure what to tell you except to reiterate that this game is un-ghostable.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I managed to ghost the entire game (except for the forced alarm sections) but it was kinda obvious that the game wasn't supposed to be played that way.

As for that section you can kill the patrolling guard with your pistol without the one on the tower noticing and then kill him with the assault rifle.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 19, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Kainser posted:

I managed to ghost the entire game (except for the forced alarm sections) but it was kinda obvious that the game wasn't supposed to be played that way.

Just so we're clear, ghosting means not killing/KOing anybody and sneaking past them all. You're saying you did this?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Oh, I've always thought that it just meant not being detected. Yeah, I KOed some people. But I think that you could ghost past most of those parts with shadow operative and a lot of patience with waiting on the cooldown (don't do this)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

?

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Mike_V posted:

Haha, I was on the traintracks in Taipei and entered the multi-shot mod and let me tell you, there is nothing funnier than having Mike yell "poo poo" in slo-mo as a train barrels into him.

I thought it was way freakier that the guy you're supposed to catch there does not slow down if you use multi-shot.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Kin posted:

The hacking minigames suck rear end though and I only discovered during the second mission that my "stock" of emp grenades isn't actually what I can carry into missions (I think it's 2 per gadget slot isn't it?).

A lot of the gadgets start off with small inventory stacks. If you keep using them however you will get perks that will increase the stack size.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Xander77 posted:

?

A lot of people have complained about AP's crouch animation and considered it unrealistic because it differs so much from the standard video game crouch-sneaking animation. The truth is that the general video game crouch will loving bust your knees and Thorton likes not getting his knees busted, so he walks like a human would actually do.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Exercu posted:

A lot of people have complained about AP's crouch animation and considered it unrealistic because it differs so much from the standard video game crouch-sneaking animation. The truth is that the general video game crouch will loving bust your knees and Thorton likes not getting his knees busted, so he walks like a human would actually do.

Like a shuffling grandma :v:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I know what part you're talking about. I was always able to run up under the tower despite the guard on top watching. If that doesn't work then I'm not sure what to tell you except to reiterate that this game is un-ghostable.

Well, I took out the first guy with ease, and then approached the barrier on the left side, immediately in front of the tower. The first time I did it, I'm sure I popped the second ground guard as he was behind the tower, but then as tried to go around the barrier (which put me directly in front of the tower) I was spotted by the guy up top who sounded the alarm but couldn't shoot me. More people came through the door and killed me.

The second time, I took out the first guy, but then just stayed behind the barrier and let the alarms ring and then wiped out everyone that came through the door.

It was just irritating that the layout of the area gave no indication that there was any way past that section without being spotted form above.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

I think you were getting caught due to the noise of your armour. I don't think that guard can hear you when you are in his line of sight but he can hear you when you are out of it but close enough to be in earshot.

If you weren't too bothered about getting part of the shadow operative bonus achievement on that level you could have used the sound generator to distract the guy in the tower or you could have whipped out an assault rifle with sub-sonic rounds to snipe him out from a distance or a silenced chain-shot or tossed up a shock trap or meta-game it and do the other Saudi missions first so you could level up stealth to get evasion.

But seriously don't worry about getting caught or shot at in this game just roll with the punches and you'll end up getting perks and story experiences that mesh with your play style.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Hank Morgan posted:

I think you were getting caught due to the noise of your armour. I don't think that guard can hear you when you are in his line of sight but he can hear you when you are out of it but close enough to be in earshot.

Oh yeah, good call. I don't wear armor at all when I play so I didn't think about it.

edit: vv yeah but... it's so cool... there's even a point in the game where someone comments on it

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 19, 2011

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Oh yeah, good call. I don't wear armor at all when I play so I didn't think about it.

Or just wear the stealth armor it gives you a small endurance bonus plus all the armor upgrades really help like the cooldown reducers or sight range reducers.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I finished the game and there were some great choices to make, more good dialogue but holy poo poo the last few segments were really unenjoyable.

Endless spawning enemies will never be ok with me.

I also didn't realize that Fred Tatashore was Leland. He was so mellow compared to his usual vocal shenanigans. I went to high school with Fred and goddamn I can't seem to play a game without his popping up in it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

I finished the game and there were some great choices to make, more good dialogue but holy poo poo the last few segments were really unenjoyable.

Yeah the last part is pretty miserable especially if you ignored the Chain Shot pistol tree for making all the boss fight parts more manageable like the Darcy part.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

I also didn't realize that Fred Tatashore was Leland. He was so mellow compared to his usual vocal shenanigans. I went to high school with Fred and goddamn I can't seem to play a game without his popping up in it.

The Leland character is extremely well-acted I think. The conversations between him and Thorton are a joy to go through.

ydaetskcoR
Apr 29, 2008

edit: vv yeah but... it's so cool... there's even a point in the game where someone comments on it

The Russian Arms dealer mentions your stealth armour at the start of the conversation at his place (so after the Embassy). I figured he just made a comment about whatever you were wearing at the time. I think it cropped up elsewhere too but that's the only one that comes to mind right now.

Also about the gadgets bit mentioned earlier, I think you can put gadgets in multiple slots if you want so you can increase the amount you can carry per mission (obviously at the expense of variety).

I stealthed most of each level on my first run but it usually ended up with a forced alarm or me loving something up and having to go Jack Bauer running around chain shotting people. I didn't have the patience to wait on Shadow operative recharging all the time.

That said, if you flashbang people does that make them aware at all? I know you can do the "stealth"/instant takedowns on them after they go off but I wasn't sure if it counted as them being alerted (for stats/conversation purposes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

I think it does. I know using shock traps count against shadow operative as there is a brief few seconds when they go alert. If you have awareness activated it should show their alertness state.

• Locked thread