Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Lone Rogue posted:

Ric Flair has been making poor decisions for pro wrestling for longer than most of us have lived. You don't stop that. You watch it burn out.

Yeah but you don't exactly sit back and enjoy it. I bet HHH and HBK etc know better than any of us Ric isn't going to change but I bet that doesn't stop them trying to help once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

Lone Rogue posted:

Ric Flair has been making poor decisions for pro wrestling for longer than most of us have lived. You don't stop that. You watch it burn out.

Doesn't mean I have to like it, or even not wish it could be different.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Lone Rogue posted:

The way people act about Flair is just hilarious to me.

Even as a pre-teen watching WCW you knew that Flair was never going to stop. All the jokes we made about Terry Funk back then we knew we'd make about Ric Flair. I can't believe even in this day and age, people thought Flair would just happily accept retirement after a Wrestlemania send off. How the gently caress does the WWE mean more to Ric Flair than wrestling means to Ric Flair? It would never. No pomp and circumstance would ever stop Flair from wrestling. It's all he knows. It's all he cares about. Call it a disease if you want, but it's what he's got and thinking that the Undertaker doing a little post-show send off will keep Flair from wrestling you're loving stupid.

Ric Flair might be sad, but the way people act about him is worse. At least Flair knows who he is.

There is a big difference between being unable to stop because they need to hear the crowd pop vs. needing to go out because you owe millions of dollars in back taxes and alimony payments. (See also: Hogan, Hulk)

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

GoutPatrol posted:

There is a big difference between being unable to stop because they need to hear the crowd pop vs. needing to go out because you owe millions of dollars in back taxes and alimony payments. (See also: Hogan, Hulk)

Every report has said that Flair could pay the money back any time he wants to, he'd just have to sell the poo poo he doesn't want to sell. It would also mean a permanent end to Naitchin' it.

Flair can't be that guy. He has to burn out.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Yeah Flair earns [or has until recently earned] a lot of money it's just between ex wives and terrible business decisions and his lifestyle of pissing money away he's never been able to settle his debts and they keep piling up

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Formerly Creative has partially redeemed itself by teaching me that an actual person wrote 12 Rounds as a creative endeavor. I always assumed Vince McMahon saw Die Hard with a Vengeance and told Cena to remake it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Did anyone listen to their 9/11 podcast? :911:

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRayPer posted:

Formerly Creative has partially redeemed itself by teaching me that an actual person wrote 12 Rounds as a creative endeavor. I always assumed Vince McMahon saw Die Hard with a Vengeance and told Cena to remake it.

There's no way Vince has seen Die Hard with a Vengeance yet.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

CombineThresher posted:

There's no way Vince has seen Die Hard yet.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Dave talked about watching Misawa/Jumbo live in person.

What a great moment. :)

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Sep 19, 2011

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

LordPants posted:

Did anyone listen to their 9/11 podcast? :911:

I listened to about 2/3 of it but got bored.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

triplexpac posted:

I listened to about 2/3 of it but got bored.

Same here. I got tired of hearing Lagana talk softly and sadly, and the stories didn't really interest me at all. Kind of a bummer of a podcast, but not because it actually made me sad, just because it was pretty lame.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I'm not interested in hearing anything JBL has to say about 9/11.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think I listened to about a minute of it. Not being American I wasn't sure where I just didn't "get it" but I guess that wasn't the case.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Dave's story about the AWA booking around the Crusher quitting the company annually was great.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

LordPants posted:

I think I listened to about a minute of it. Not being American I wasn't sure where I just didn't "get it" but I guess that wasn't the case.

I'm glad you all felt the same way. I found it to be one of the dullest podcasts he's done. I listened to JBL's story, and then had to turn it off during the second guys. I can only imagine how lame it must have been for a non American.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MassRayPer posted:

Dave's story about the AWA booking around the Crusher quitting the company annually was great.

Yeah, I loved the hell outta that. Much to my chagrin, however, my little break from F4W will have to go on hold, as they went and announced JIM CORNETTE is coming back on the show. Dammit!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Greatest. Shoutout. Ever.

:drat:

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Just heard Bryan and Vinny literally say the following:

Vinny: "With the obvious exception of The Great Khali I think it's fair to say CM Punk may be one of the worst athletes in the company. Right? Is that fair?"

Bryan: "CM Punk? I'm afraid so."

:stare:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Um, what? He doesn't have a great physique but he's pretty strong for a guy his size and doesn't get gassed five minutes into a match.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Cardboard Box posted:

Um, what? He doesn't have a great physique but he's pretty strong for a guy his size and doesn't get gassed five minutes into a match.

The above was said because CM Punk apparently screwed up one flying elbow onto a table. That was the basis of the terrible point they were trying to make.

Hear it for yourself, it's a free show: http://www.f4wonline.com/component/...shout-outs-more

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

I might check it out later but are you taking it out of context or are they that dumb

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

ZoDiAC_ posted:

I might check it out later but are you taking it out of context or are they that dumb

(recapping the CM Punk vs Triple H Match)

quote:

V: "They brawled all over the building, went into the crowd, went behind the video wall, Punk threw duffle bags at him. They went back to ringside, Punk set him up on a table and hit the scariest, most out of control tope rope elbow through a table ever. And with the obvious exception of the great Khali I think it's fair to say that CM Punk may be - he's one of the worst athletes in the company. Right? Is that fair?"

B: "CM Punk?"

V: "Yeah."

B: "I'm afraid so."

V: "And especially - if you disagree with me - watch this elbow again. The way he waves his arms like a lunatic in mid air like he was trying to fly - Yeah, this could have gone alot worse. The sideview especially was hysterical. So they got back into the ring and suddenly Awesome Truth come out".....(recap continues)

The elbow drop that made CM Punk the worst athlete outside of The Great Khali: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmxDYsfHAp4

You know who else flailed his arms sometimes during the flying elbow drop?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UlD2SyGV68&feature=player_detailpage#t=123s

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

The whole point was that he was doing the Macho Man elbow, and I can't believe they didn't grasp that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cardboard Box posted:

The whole point was that he was doing the Macho Man elbow, and I can't believe they didn't grasp that.

Have you seen a Macho Man elbow vs a CM Punk elbow? CM Punk does it so awkwardly and gets no height on it. Macho's was a thing of beauty. CM Punk is a really great wrestler, but he's a very awkward athlete who sometimes has two left feet.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Yeah, I'm not saying he did it particularly well, but I wouldn't say he's a bad athlete over that--definitely not one of the worst in the company.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cardboard Box posted:

Yeah, I'm not saying he did it particularly well, but I wouldn't say he's a bad athlete over that--definitely not one of the worst in the company.

They have said he's a bad athlete for years and from Punk's shoots I don't think he'd entirely disagree.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Maybe I'm not entirely sure what constitutes a good athlete or not.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I like that their basis on who is a good athlete and who isn't is on a loving table spot. Impressive to see, yes, but probably one of the least athletic things you can actually do in wrestling - jump off a high thing through a table.

Christ.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Maybe by athletic they mean graceful, smooth, etc?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MassRayPer posted:

Have you seen a Macho Man elbow vs a CM Punk elbow? CM Punk does it so awkwardly and gets no height on it. Macho's was a thing of beauty. CM Punk is a really great wrestler, but he's a very awkward athlete who sometimes has two left feet.

Agreed 1000%. Macho Man's is the Platonic Ideal of what a flying elbow should be. His dropkick was also the best in the business as well.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Punk is definitely not the best athlete in WWE, but in no way is he the second worst in the company. That's ludicrous.

If they had simply said Punk isn't the most stellar athlete, that would be something, but to say he's only superior to Khali isn't so much a stretch as it is patently silly.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

Maybe by athletic they mean graceful, smooth, etc?

That's how I interpreted it, which is odd to me. Has anyone ever said Ric Flair is one of the worst athletes in the business? Because he was never really smooth.

I understand the point they were trying to make but I also understand they were using the wrong word simply so they could make a different point. Punk is not naturally athletic. He's much more like the guys who get into wrestling because they love wrestling and understand it before they learn how to execute it instead of someone who is an athlete who gets into wrestling and uses their athleticism to come into the understanding of wrestling.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Punk is definitely not the best athlete in WWE, but in no way is he the second worst in the company. That's ludicrous.

If they had simply said Punk isn't the most stellar athlete, that would be something, but to say he's only superior to Khali isn't so much a stretch as it is patently silly.

If you look at the actual quotes it is "one of the worst" besides Khali. So he's not second worst, they are just saying he's one of the worst other than the obvious. It is still hyperbole, but Punk is pretty unathletic for a high level wrestler.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MassRayPer posted:

If you look at the actual quotes it is "one of the worst" besides Khali. So he's not second worst, they are just saying he's one of the worst other than the obvious. It is still hyperbole, but Punk is pretty unathletic for a high level wrestler.

There is a specific pointedness to referencing Khali, and that's to draw the analogy that Punk is in that league. While I would expect they were being hyperbolic, it's silly to compare the two in any light.

If they had said what you said, that "Punk is pretty unathletic for a high level wrestler", then sure, that's fine. Punk is decidedly middle of the pack, maybe even low-middle of the pack, as far as athletic ability goes.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MassRayPer posted:

It seems doubly strange because he's not unathletic in a lumbering hoss way. He's someone that looks like he should be pulling off Jericho-level poo poo.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I'm behind on podcasts and I'm listening to the B and V with the Haikus. Good god that was awesome.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I think this is the first mention of this particular wrestler in the Observer. How newsworthy.

quote:

For those who listen to the WWF radio show, the regular caller who goes by the name Disco Inferno is Glen Gilburnetti, the Georgia indie wrestler who used the Disco Inferno name in Memphis. He's friends with Johnny Polo.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Dave actually sounded a bit emotional when he said that TNA creative "hosed the company."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Arbite posted:

Dave actually sounded a bit emotional when he said that TNA creative "hosed the company."
The first time he said it, I thought I was hearing things but then he said it a few more times. Between TNA and WWE's creative being incompetant, it's no wonder he's got MMA to fall back on or else he'd go mad...

• Locked thread