Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

I've had my Bionic for a week now, it was my upgrade from the original Droid. So far I love it. The only complaint I have is the battery life sucked, I'd take it off the charger at 4:30 a.m. and I'm down to 10 percent by 5 p.m. with normal/minimal work day usage (whereas my original Droid could go another 6 hours or so, easily by the time I was ready for bed and to plug it in again). I downloaded Juice Defender, though, and that's solved that problem.

I'm such a geek. I love the turning-off animation. I feel like I have a Warehouse 13 Farnsworth or other sci-fi future phone. I just wish I could assign a sound to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Out of curiosity does Verizon make public it's plans for future service coverage?

Verizon has 3G coverage all around me except for my county. I'd consider switching to them, but that's not going to happen until I can get 3G coverage...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Thermopyle posted:

Out of curiosity does Verizon make public it's plans for future service coverage?

Verizon has 3G coverage all around me except for my county. I'd consider switching to them, but that's not going to happen until I can get 3G coverage...

I don't think 3G coverage is going to expand at all much at this point since the focus is on 4g now.

It's entirely possible you'll get 4G coverage without getting 3G.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

I don't think 3G coverage is going to expand at all much at this point since the focus is on 4g now.

It's entirely possible you'll get 4G coverage without getting 3G.

Well, I'd be fine with either. As it is you can only get 1x here...

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Verizon has always said their aim is to cover their 3G area with LTE. When Verizon activates a 4G cell site, as far as I know it includes both the LTE array and the standard 3G broadcast antennas; as a result, hypothetically you'd get 3G and 4G at the same time. At the very least, I am not aware of a 4G site that is only attached to a 1X cell in the Boston area.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
Has there been any talk about Verizon getting any more Windows Phone 7 options? Or am I stuck with the Trophy for the foreseeable future if I choose to go that route?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LaptopGun posted:

Verizon has always said their aim is to cover their 3G area with LTE.

Actually, they've stated their final endgame is to have even 1x areas covered with 4G and have their 4G footprint go beyond their 3G.

Keep in mind, LTE is a replacement for EVERYTHING. It's not just going to be a data solution, it's going to be voice as well. Because of that, they are going to have to go beyond their 3G footprint.

In 3 years time (or less) even the free on contract bottom of the barrel flip phone is going to be LTE.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Anonononomous posted:

Has there been any talk about Verizon getting any more Windows Phone 7 options? Or am I stuck with the Trophy for the foreseeable future if I choose to go that route?

I haven't heard of anything, you may see something, but so far windows phone 7 is pretty gsm focused.

avan
Apr 26, 2010
Question: Can we collectively keep an eye on roms for the droid and would we all agree to post it when one comes out? Thanks! I am super excited to wirelessly tether to my computer without having to pay stupid 30 extra dollars a month. Also with 35mbits downspeed thats about 1.5 times faster than my home connection which is unbelievable. I love 4g.

Also someone said something about tasker and making a profile to save battery life.
I decided to make a power saver profile that comes on when the screen is off (So when I am not using it) It turns off all data radios (4g/3g) syncing, slows the processor, basically anything that can consume power - except the main cellular radio for receiving texts and calls. Then, i have it set so - when I turn the screen back on all of my radios and syncing turns back on automagically. It has made it so I can easily make it from 7:30 AM to 12:00AM and stil have ~20-30% battery left. and that is with heavy use between classes (Like playing plants vs. zombies and browsing forums)

Its pretty awesome and I would recommend it.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Got to play with a Bionic today in store. To be quite honest, I wasn't overwhelmingly wowed by it. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice phone but it'd be too much of a sideways upgrade for me and my heavily modified Thunderbolt.

In order for me to see the Pentile screen I had to hold it up pretty close to my face which made me look awesome in store :v:

avan posted:

Question: Can we collectively keep an eye on roms for the droid and would we all agree to post it when one comes out? Thanks! I am super excited to wirelessly tether to my computer without having to pay stupid 30 extra dollars a month. Also with 35mbits downspeed thats about 1.5 times faster than my home connection which is unbelievable. I love 4g.

Check this thread Rooted Android- Team AlphaXPlusToyotaMarshmallow for all your rom needs.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

JayKay posted:

In order for me to see the Pentile screen I had to hold it up pretty close to my face which made me look awesome in store :v:

"What?! Cell phone?! What the hell is this thing? Where are the buttons? Everything is so small!"

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

avan posted:

Also someone said something about tasker and making a profile to save battery life.
I decided to make a power saver profile that comes on when the screen is off (So when I am not using it) It turns off all data radios (4g/3g) syncing, slows the processor, basically anything that can consume power - except the main cellular radio for receiving texts and calls. Then, i have it set so - when I turn the screen back on all of my radios and syncing turns back on automagically. It has made it so I can easily make it from 7:30 AM to 12:00AM and stil have ~20-30% battery left. and that is with heavy use between classes (Like playing plants vs. zombies and browsing forums)

Share it then, son!

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Share it then, son!

I second this.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

avan posted:

I think I was the one who asked about this, and that does sound awesome! I just have one question of clarification—is there any way to have Tasker disable 4G but leave the 3G radio on when the screen is off, then re-activate 4G when the screen comes back on? I get all my texts through GV and need some sort of data connection at all times, but it seems like overkill to spend battery power on syncing Gmail and Voice through 4G when the screen is off.

Of course this is all academic right now since I don't have an upgrade until November, but it'd be nice to go in with guns blazing once the Vigor and/or Prime drop.

avan
Apr 26, 2010
Well, I mean, You just go to tasker > new profile > Event > display > display off.
That is your condition for the profile to activate then you create the functions of the profile which would be:
wifi off
wifi net off
Auto Sync off
GPS off
Mobile Data off
Mobile Data APN on (Which I believe is what allows the cellular radio to continue to function)
CPU Conservative

[I just installed tasker like 2 days ago so there could be an easier way of doing those things]

Basically that is the whole profile, so now every time the screen is off (when I hit the button on the top left, obv) it goes to those settings.

When I turn it back on I basically have a profile that goes to the opposite of all those profiles except wifi because I only turn that on when I need it.
If you have any questions about that, or if I wasn't clear just let me know.
To answer Penguissimo's question I do not believe that currently tasker has that ability built in, Though it does have a setting to turn off wimax - which has been out for a while, So I am thinking that their next release will have a LTE feature, which I hope will be soon. Maybe in their section for activating a script someone will code something that could turn it off? I do not have the skills but it would be as simple as switching the setting from "CDMA/LTE" to just "CDMA."

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Thanks avan, Im looking forward to trying it out.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Seconding the thanks, and the hope that the ability to toggle LTE shows up soon!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's looking like the Bionic does really well with a strong LTE signal in idle situations.

I've barely used my phone this weekend since I was just having a quiet relaxing few days at home, so it's been sitting.

Right now I'm sitting at 26 hours off charge and still have over 40% battery left. Again, very minimal use, but background syncs have all been on the whole time. The phone has been in performance mode so no disabling of data when idle.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Thermopyle posted:

Are you in an ex-alltel area? Because prior to that, Verizon had 3G on 100% of its network, I'm suprised to hear of anyone who doesn't have at least 3G.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like Verizon is ready to push LTE phones to budget customers. The finally announced the Pantech Breakout today. 4" Android 2.3 device with WVGA screen, 1ghz processor, and preinstalled 8gb microSD card.

It's $149 on two year contract and you get a $50 mail in rebate to bring it to $99.

Also, it's slightly amusing that a no-name Chinese company has managed to get a gingerbread LTE phone before the majority of the big name players managed to update their devices to gingerbread.

Mighty Horse posted:

Are you in an ex-alltel area? Because prior to that, Verizon had 3G on 100% of its network, I'm suprised to hear of anyone who doesn't have at least 3G.

I can say I've been in a few places where all I can get is 1x coverage. Hell, there's a bar less than a mile from my house that I go to that I can only get 1x (spotty 1x at that) whereas from my house I get full bars of LTE.

I really wish Verizon had a way to report holes of coverage.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 19, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

I can say I've been in a few places where all I can get is 1x coverage. Hell, there's a bar less than a mile from my house that I go to that I can only get 1x (spotty 1x at that) whereas from my house I get full bars of LTE.

Is this outside the bar or inside? Because cellular providers only ever guarantee service when outdoors, and its possible that area has 3G but it just can't penetrate through the walls of the bar strongly enough, so it falls back to 1x.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Looks like Verizon is ready to push LTE phones to budget customers. The finally announced the Pantech Breakout today. 4" Android 2.3 device with WVGA screen, 1ghz processor, and preinstalled 8gb microSD card.

It's $149 on two year contract and you get a $50 mail in rebate to bring it to $99.

Also, it's slightly amusing that a no-name Chinese company has managed to get a gingerbread LTE phone before the majority of the big name players managed to update their devices to gingerbread.

I just got some in...and I am pleasantly suprised.

The Screen is pretty nice, colors deep and blacks rich, the build quality seems pretty good, some people might not like the textured back, but I like it, as it holds up well to real world use instead of the shinny plastic crap they used on the Charge. It has external camera and voice buttons, as well as hard buttons ont he bottom, some might love that or hate it.

For the price I'd honestly have a hard time going with something 3G like the Dinc2 or the DX2 instead of this. I'd even got one of these before the Charge

EDIT: Just found something cool... A freaking HIDE app option in the stock launcher. Really guys? PANTECH has to be the only company who sees the value of this?

bull3964 posted:

Thats normal, like was said before, sometimes the 3G is on 1900MHZ which doesn't penetrate as well. But it sounded lik the other guy was in an entire area that had no 3G, which is unusual.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 19, 2011

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Mighty Horse posted:

No Alltel was never around here.

I'm in the pinkish blob...St. Louis is just off the top of the map.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

That explains it...you're not on Verizon's native network. "Extended Network" means you are essentually roaming (for free) on a small regional providers network. Some of those little guys don't have 3G built up yet, OR the agreement they have with Verizon only allows you on the 1x Network.

It might be a while before you see 4G...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Is this outside the bar or inside? Because cellular providers only ever guarantee service when outdoors, and its possible that area has 3G but it just can't penetrate through the walls of the bar strongly enough, so it falls back to 1x.

Mighty Horse posted:

Thats normal, like was said before, sometimes the 3G is on 1900MHZ which doesn't penetrate as well. But it sounded lik the other guy was in an entire area that had no 3G, which is unusual.

It's outside the bar too. If it was simply a building penetration issue due to frequency, LTE should be able to cut right through better than 1x or 3g, but I get nothing.

There's a whole section of road there that just flat out gets weak signal. I'm in western PA so terrain plays a factor as well.

Coverage map wise, the whole area is as red as red gets for LTE/3G/1X coverage, but data service in that area is virtually nonexistent.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Mighty Horse posted:

That explains it...you're not on Verizon's native network. "Extended Network" means you are essentually roaming (for free) on a small regional providers network. Some of those little guys don't have 3G built up yet, OR the agreement they have with Verizon only allows you on the 1x Network.

It might be a while before you see 4G...

Figures. Thanks for the info!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

For those of you that got the Bionic bundle from costco. This amazon image let me on to a neat tip.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B005C31FIG/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0

If you pull out the cable slack for the external battery charger, you can then lock the connection back in place which places the micro usb jack right on the front. It's then in the perfect position to plug directly into the back of the standard dock.

So, they basically lock into one unit with one power connection to charge both phone and extra battery.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

My post in the rooting thread posted:

Okay, so I have an issue:

I'm on a Thunderbolt and I have it rooted using BAMF 1.6 and my G-sensor just broke. Thankfully, still have access so it'll be (hopefully) easy to unroot so I can warranty it, but I'm sort of unsure as to how to do it... Is there a stock ROM for it out there that I can flash to? And what's my best option in terms of backing poo poo up? I have Titanium backup but am unsure as to how I'm supposed to use it to save and then restore to a new phone...

Anyone experienced with the HTC warranty process? It's for one year, right? I actually didn't go for insurance, I think, and got the thing in May... hoping it's still covered and once I restore it it will qualify, anyone had to do this?

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

bull3964 posted:

For those of you that got the Bionic bundle from costco. This amazon image let me on to a neat tip.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B005C31FIG/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0

If you pull out the cable slack for the external battery charger, you can then lock the connection back in place which places the micro usb jack right on the front. It's then in the perfect position to plug directly into the back of the standard dock.

So, they basically lock into one unit with one power connection to charge both phone and extra battery.

Thanks for this! I was running two cables for these devices.

Sypher
Feb 4, 2003
My bionic is in transit. I have been waiting for this phone since it was first leaked. It is now just a matter of not going on a fedex murder spree. According to fedex, the package has been sitting at the destination sort facility since Saturday. Hasn't moved at all today!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

Try doing the "dial *228 then press 2" thing? :v:

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

bull3964 posted:

Aahhhhhh thank you! I had them daisy-chained but not as elegantly as this. I put them together the first day i had 'em and thought to myself "well this is awkward" - and didn't think about it another second. I suppose I should have.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

DaNzA posted:

Try doing the "dial *228 then press 2" thing? :v:

I don't know what you're talking about. If it's something Verizon-specific...I don't have Verizon.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
*228 is the Verizon dial code for "Please send my phone a PRL/roaming update."

It could be worse - some people probably still use a bag phone; if you're getting real 1X data you're still doing better than these poor suckers. :v:

If you know of any fixed-wireless broadband ISPs near you, call them up; a while back, Verizon was actively looking for small companies to partner with, for the purpose of tower leasing and such as part of their 4G build-out. Some little mom-and-pop might know of something coming soon in your area.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Not sure if anyone else has heard this, but it looks like their 4g network is having issues today. I haven't been able to get LTE at all today and even 3G coverage is spotty at best right now (Tacoma, WA).

Edit: actual link about the issue: http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/09/19/verizon-4g-lte-network-down-nationwide/

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Mighty Horse posted:

an entire area that had no 3G, which is unusual.

The oilfields of Cotulla, TX and Shiner, TX would like a word with you.

:(

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
My Thunderbolt lost it's LTE wings around 3 or 4 today and I was going batshit insane trying to restore it. I checked at work and all of our demo phones were still on it and we didn't have any flash alerts... now I know I'm not alone. This is what I get for using Juicedefender by the sounds of it.

Edit: forgot to say I was going to lose 4G when I went home anyway so not like I could have kept the active connection.

LaptopGun fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 20, 2011

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

duffmensch posted:

Not sure if anyone else has heard this, but it looks like their 4g network is having issues today. I haven't been able to get LTE at all today and even 3G coverage is spotty at best right now (Tacoma, WA).

Edit: actual link about the issue: http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/09/19/verizon-4g-lte-network-down-nationwide/

I just got a Bionic today and was afraid I'd gotten one of the lemon units until I read about this. Activating the SIM took half a dozen tries.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Sorry that happened duffmensch. I don't know if the hypothetical (dare I say probable?) 4G outage affected things, but the Bionic's activation sequence is mysteriously faulty on it's own.

I believe someone suggested this earlier. For some reason Motorola's activation process and it's searching for Wifi process do not get along. Disable Wifi and activations usually go through. How to improve Bionic activations (corporate VZW employees should already know this):

1. Buy phone, pay, agree to terms, yada yada to ensure the 4G SIM Card is active on your account. (Business as usual)
2. Insert SIM and battery then power on the phone. (Business as usual)
3. Let it boot up and see the welcome to Android/ Touch Droid to start screen.
4. Before it tries to activate the sim automatically, pull down the notification bar and disable Wifi. Touch the android and see if it activates. If it doesn't, reboot the phone and try to activate it.
5. Don't worry if it started to activate by itself before you turned off wifi. You can still pull down notification bar and turn it off. The activation may hang and fail though so you might have to reboot anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LTE seems to be fine in the Pittsburgh area, I haven't had any issues all day.

I had it in 3G mode a little tonight, but that's because I was at the bar I mentioned before that has bad signal. As soon as I got home, I flipped it back to 4g and it reconnected right away.

• Locked thread