Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

It's because the game was designed on 360s and desite me telling him over and over and over again that the triggers on the ps3 are not sensitive enough, the minigame went in there unmodified.

grrrrrr
Who is 'him'?

Kin posted:

I'm also convinced that the first mission is impossible to stealth through properly. There's a checkpoint you have to bypass that has no means of bypassing other than running right up to it causing the turret guy to start shooting at you.
That mission is really frustrating for a stealth-based character, because I'm sure you could ghost it if it wasn't for that guy in the tower! Meta-game time : do the two other missions first, and then come back to this one with one rank in Shadow Operative (the invisibility power) : that combined to Evasion and Silent Running should enable you to get past the turret guy undetected. Or if you don't mind a little blood, put a (suppressed) bullet in his head with the Assault Rifle from the catwalk of the hangar, before going down to ground level.

Hank Morgan posted:

A lot of the gadgets start off with small inventory stacks. If you keep using them however you will get perks that will increase the stack size.
Yeah, but EMP starts at 2 per slot and can be 'upgraded' to 3. Fire and concussion grenades start at 5 and finish at 6. Obviously they didn't want to make the mini-games redundant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I'm pretty sure you can get by the guy in the tower just by walking up to the truck and going around the back of it.

EDIT: Here's CirclMastr doing it in his LP of the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2sELcgx_PM

Wiseblood fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 19, 2011

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Wiseblood posted:

I'm pretty sure you can get by the guy in the tower just by walking up to the truck and going around the back of it.

EDIT: Here's CirclMastr doing it in his LP of the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2sELcgx_PM

That's what I did and he loving spotted me :mad:

gently caress it, I'll max out the technical and stealth skill trees and then have near permanent invisibility. That'll teach them. :colbert:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Kin posted:

That's what I did and he loving spotted me :mad:

What armor are you wearing?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Smol posted:

What armor are you wearing?

Er, not sure. I didn't tweak the equipment before jumping into that mission. I had whatever the starting gear was.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
What "class" did you start as? The Freelancer class (where you pick your own skills) start out in a armor that's noisy for example.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Leinadi posted:

What "class" did you start as? The Freelancer class (where you pick your own skills) start out in a armor that's noisy for example.

I can't remember. I thought I picked the stealthy sounding one but I might not have. The armour might have been called night armour or something.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
It's worth noting that the initial 'stealth' armour, the night operations armour, isn't completely silent like later armours and you're better off in casual clothing if you want to be stealthy to start with.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yes. The loud Hawaiian shirt is the only stealth option.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
It took me a little while to notice that due to being a tech I had an extra option every so often in the dialog choices. I expect the other classes get this as well.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

The thing I just noticed by looking in the stats/AP menu is that I'm picking up perks based on the things I'm doing. This is ingenious! Do you get better and better ones? For example I just unlocked the "carry more emp's" perk for disabling 25 hacks with them, will I get another one for doing 50?

I take it that for maximum exp gain per mission you should really kill everyone yeah?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Kin posted:

The thing I just noticed by looking in the stats/AP menu is that I'm picking up perks based on the things I'm doing. This is ingenious! Do you get better and better ones? For example I just unlocked the "carry more emp's" perk for disabling 25 hacks with them, will I get another one for doing 50?

I take it that for maximum exp gain per mission you should really kill everyone yeah?

I don't know how much EXP you get for killing an enemy, but you get EXP for avoiding detection by enemies. It might be the same.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
God, stealth in this game bewildered the gently caress out of me for a good long while, I think until my second mission post Saudi, because I simply did not understand that your noise won't be lowered if you wear noisy as gently caress armor, regardless of how slowly you move crouched.

Once I figured that out, a 100% civvie clothes run was commenced.

Also, I feel like doing another run soon. I've done all stealth, broken as gently caress pistol/stealth, and a Rambo rifle run. What should I try now? Martial arts run? Shotguns?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Yes. The loud Hawaiian shirt is the only stealth option.

Too bad no other clothing options in the game like gay cheetah armor.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

pnumoman posted:

God, stealth in this game bewildered the gently caress out of me for a good long while, I think until my second mission post Saudi, because I simply did not understand that your noise won't be lowered if you wear noisy as gently caress armor, regardless of how slowly you move crouched.

Once I figured that out, a 100% civvie clothes run was commenced.

Also, I feel like doing another run soon. I've done all stealth, broken as gently caress pistol/stealth, and a Rambo rifle run. What should I try now? Martial arts run? Shotguns?

Martial arts is a lot of fun, but be prepared to be annoyed by some boss fights.

Tip for martial arts (Perk related): If you choose aggressive choices in the beginning, your starting perk gives up a bit of a bonus to hand to hand combat.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Mike_V posted:

I don't know how much EXP you get for killing an enemy, but you get EXP for avoiding detection by enemies. It might be the same.

How about avoiding detection and killing all of them. Other than a handful of situations, I'm an invisible assassin so far.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Kin posted:

How about avoiding detection and killing all of them. Other than a handful of situations, I'm an invisible assassin so far.

I could be very wrong but I think the end of mission screen gives a full breakdown of xp and how you got it. You could check that to see if you do.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Just bought this game on a sale in a Blockbuster (yeah, those still exist around here) and from what I understood from the OP, the most important skill is Stealth, so I'll be putting point on that. What else do I need to know before I start this game or should I just go hogwild on it?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Vincent posted:

Just bought this game on a sale in a Blockbuster (yeah, those still exist around here) and from what I understood from the OP, the most important skill is Stealth, so I'll be putting point on that. What else do I need to know before I start this game or should I just go hogwild on it?

Focus on one weapon skill, generalization is worse.

Pistols are probably the best bet.

That's really about it!

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Vincent posted:

Pistols and stealth are god mode.

You're completely inaccurate unless you're lining up critical hits. Always take the time to line up critical hits.

Other than that, feel free to play however you want, the game is designed for multiple replays. The game rewards you for pretty much everything you do, so you don't gimp yourself if you don't play a certain way.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Kin posted:

You get XP for killing enemies, knocking out enemies, and bypassing enemies. I don't think there's a stealth bonus, other than the perk for not raising an alarm on a certain number of missions.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Vincent posted:

Well, particularly the skill that gives you the perma radar/wallhack. Otherwise you'll be running around corners with no idea if you'll be instantly spotted when you do or not.

And don't bother playing on Hard. Easy if shooters annoy you. Have fun!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Dr. Stab posted:

You get XP for killing enemies, knocking out enemies, and bypassing enemies. I don't think there's a stealth bonus, other than the perk for not raising an alarm on a certain number of missions.

So it probably calculates it on a checkpoint to checkpoint system? Like, it counts how many guards there are at the beginning, records how many are left when you reach the next checkpoint (I've noticed the door closes behinds you and locks) and how many are gone due to killing/knocking out. Then it gives you an exp score.

Is there a way to keep making a lot of money? I always seem to be a little short after I buy the intel for missions and some of the good guns and armour mods are quite pricey.

Also, does equipment available from one safehouse carry over to another? I noticed that the Saudi equipment was missing from the blackmarket until I contacted some of the new characters.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Kin posted:

So it probably calculates it on a checkpoint to checkpoint system? Like, it counts how many guards there are at the beginning, records how many are left when you reach the next checkpoint (I've noticed the door closes behinds you and locks) and how many are gone due to killing/knocking out. Then it gives you an exp score.

Is there a way to keep making a lot of money? I always seem to be a little short after I buy the intel for missions and some of the good guns and armour mods are quite pricey.

Also, does equipment available from one safehouse carry over to another? I noticed that the Saudi equipment was missing from the blackmarket until I contacted some of the new characters.

Saudi is the only place that cuts off your equipment access afterwards, mainly because of story reasons and to give you incentive to locate more characters to buy from. Stuff will stay unlocked for you, and may even lower in price for various reasons.

Not all intel is crucial, so don't worry about buying all the maps for things for each mission (some do grant you extra quests and such however, so be mindful of what might be interesting). Sell off anything you don't think you'll need, crack every safe and hack every computer for cash if available. And some stuff is just expensive, so it takes a while to attain (though you'll find a few useful replacement items during missions at times).

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Kin posted:

There frequently are multiple levels of perk like that, yes. 420 get rewarded for gameplay choices erryday.

You can find a full spoileriffic perk list on the wiki (a spoiler-free list would be nice, though).

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Leveling up Sabotage also nets you more cash from succesful hacks.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

evilmiera posted:

Saudi is the only place that cuts off your equipment access afterwards, mainly because of story reasons and to give you incentive to locate more characters to buy from. Stuff will stay unlocked for you, and may even lower in price for various reasons.

Not all intel is crucial, so don't worry about buying all the maps for things for each mission (some do grant you extra quests and such however, so be mindful of what might be interesting). Sell off anything you don't think you'll need, crack every safe and hack every computer for cash if available. And some stuff is just expensive, so it takes a while to attain (though you'll find a few useful replacement items during missions at times).

Selling stuff eh? I noticed that option in the menu but it's assigned to the same button as buying and I have no idea of how to alternate between buying and selling as by default it just buys another one of the thing.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I don't know how it works on the consoles, but on the PC buying and selling are done through separate menus. If i remember correctly, clicking 'Buy' (at the bottom of the screen) takes you to the buy menu and clicking 'Sell' takes you to the sell menu.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Yeah, I just noticed it was a separate button/menu thing.

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Covered in blood and without any clothes. Where is my mother?
This game. :allears: Played it a bit when it came out but got bored of it. Turns out it was just me playing it wrong and this is a wonderful game. Some of the dialogue is hilarious, the characters are awesome (SIE! :swoon:), and the action is good too! Killing loving everyone, not making a sound and loving it. Oh except like the civilian guards I just knock them out but the mobsters and everyone else gets a bullet in their face. Chain Shot makes boss fights hilariously easy and there's nothing more awesome than opening a door and killing all 6 guys in the room in the same instant. Despite enjoying all the stealth, rolling up to Brayko's house in a loving APC and later pulling a wheelie on the motorbike as the Roman ruins explode behind you were definately "gently caress yeah!" moments that most games are sadly missing.

Buy this game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

After wrapping up the last Fallout New Vegas DLC, decided to boot this up again. Thankfully I had retained some old saves from a prior Windows installation and they turned out to be a Recruit run nearing the end of the game (last of the three hubs, tracking down the boss). Beat the game (saved Mina this time, after initially completely missing the door like I did on my first runthrough. Learned my lesson there), immediately started a veteran run. Good times. Loosely modeling this character after a character from the British TV series The Shadow Line who is essentially a relentlessly professional psychopath. I am such a nerd.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

vulgey posted:

This game. :allears: Played it a bit when it came out but got bored of it. Turns out it was just me playing it wrong and this is a wonderful game. Some of the dialogue is hilarious, the characters are awesome (SIE! :swoon:), and the action is good too! Killing loving everyone, not making a sound and loving it. Oh except like the civilian guards I just knock them out but the mobsters and everyone else gets a bullet in their face. Chain Shot makes boss fights hilariously easy and there's nothing more awesome than opening a door and killing all 6 guys in the room in the same instant. Despite enjoying all the stealth, rolling up to Brayko's house in a loving APC and later pulling a wheelie on the motorbike as the Roman ruins explode behind you were definately "gently caress yeah!" moments that most games are sadly missing.

Buy this game.

I think I'm on the last mission (returning to Alpha Protocol) and the one mission that's annoyed me is the us embassy one. I did a non lethal take down on the one US guard that was on the roof and then killed all the enemy troops because they were already hostile and shooting at me. The post mission debriefing insisted that I was murdering the US troops and letting them all die. Then I got chewed out by the G22 guy for killing all the enemy troops.

The only other issue is with the dialogue system in that there's been a few times where the word in the bar is no way indicative of what your guy will say. There was one (I think with the Russian arms dealer) where the answer sounded like a sensible one, and started off that way until Mike added some out of place joke at the end bringing down my rating with the guy.

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Kin posted:

The only other issue is with the dialogue system in that there's been a few times where the word in the bar is no way indicative of what your guy will say. There was one (I think with the Russian arms dealer) where the answer sounded like a sensible one, and started off that way until Mike added some out of place joke at the end bringing down my rating with the guy.

There's one option that comes up in that conversation "Smash Glass". Ohhhh, I thought, I can smash the glass on the bar and maybe he will see I mean business. Not exactly how it turned out....

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kin posted:

I think I'm on the last mission (returning to Alpha Protocol) and the one mission that's annoyed me is the us embassy one. I did a non lethal take down on the one US guard that was on the roof and then killed all the enemy troops because they were already hostile and shooting at me. The post mission debriefing insisted that I was murdering the US troops and letting them all die. Then I got chewed out by the G22 guy for killing all the enemy troops.

On your first part, yeah that's a huge bug/flaw in the game. On your second point, the thing I love about this game is how some of the characters respond to you (the Russian arms dealer doesn't like professional responses, for example). Also you can get results without people necessarily liking you.

I'm giving Dragon Age another try right now, and god drat do I miss the dialogue/relationship system from Alpha Protocol. DA makes me feel like my party members are a bunch of whiny babies who'll take their toys (my DLC armor) and go home if I don't constantly pamper them.

Wolfsheim posted:

I always hear these crazy horror stories, like "Oh the Gamestop guy slapped my hand away when I tried to buy Saints Row 2 then he shoved Call of Duty in my face" but they've literally never said anything to me. I never know why these clerks in these stories would care.

I work for Netflix, and you don't see me crying out "No, stop!" whenever somebody has Green Hornet at the top of their queue.

When I bought Alpha Protocol for PS3 the Gamestop guy literally told me their return policy, and started hemming and hawing when I told him I'd already beaten the game several times on PC. Gamestop is a loving garbage store. I work in retail too, but I don't throw out opinions on poo poo to customers unless they ask for it, and I've never told people to buy a strategy guide; for disclosure reasons I will say I'm not a commissioned salesperson, but I'd rather get repeat customers through good service than try to make a big sale.

Twitch fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 22, 2011

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Kin posted:

Yeah, the suave response is especially bad for that. You expect a witty one-liner and Thornton says something remarkably creepy or stupid that pisses off whoever you're talking to.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

ChuckDHead posted:

Yeah, the suave response is especially bad for that. You expect a witty one-liner and Thornton says something remarkably creepy or stupid that pisses off whoever you're talking to.

Working as intended.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Just finished it and I got the going off in a boat ending, which was decidedly..... abrupt. :/

After all that, I get to make a smarmy remark and sail off into a sunset, while the conclusion of everything I've done is given to me in a brief paragraph of text?

The whole last mission is a mess. Apparently I changed handlers multiple times throughout the mission but never knew.

At first it was the G22 guys, then I rescued scarlet and it was her, then I rescued Nina and it was her but when it came down the the end of the game, I dealt with Leland and it was as if all of my other allies had simply vanished. No contact from the G22 guy, no contact from Scarlet, I just get on a boat, get a hug from Nina and sail away.

Also, gently caress that helicopter fight.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
During the credits, you'll also hear a newcast with details of the consequences on various choices you made throughout the game.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Twitch posted:

I'm giving Dragon Age another try right now, and god drat do I miss the dialogue/relationship system from Alpha Protocol. DA makes me feel like my party members are a bunch of whiny babies who'll take their toys (my DLC armor) and go home if I don't constantly pamper them.

Origins or 2? Both are fairly decent games, although they aren't the classic Baldur's Gate Style classic PC RPGs that I originally thought they were going to be. I think the relationship and dialogue system in 2 is generally much better than Origins. Instead of spamming worthless garbage as gifts, there are now a few gifts that are far more characterful and useful. There is also more fun inter-party banter in 2 than Origins. Sadly, the dialogue options are Mass Effect 2 style, and thus limited three branches of "cooperative / nice" to "witty / silly" to "mean / aggressive" although there are some additional branches off those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

rvdleun posted:

During the credits, you'll also hear a newcast with details of the consequences on various choices you made throughout the game.

The newscasts that are on the TV in the safehouses are usually this kind of thing followed by a funny "fluff" story. I make sure to watch every TV after every mission.

• Locked thread