Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

DaNzA posted:

You can also get around 80ms ping on verizon's 3G, which is perfectly playable for something like a game of L4D2 :v:

drat, that must be some sort of best-case poo poo right there, because the entire time my girlfriend had to tether her 3G to get any sort of high-speed (rural Alabama), she'd be lucky to get anything under 300.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakins
Apr 6, 2009

I bought an iPhone 4 today, and see that the iphone 5 preorders start the 30th. I know I have 2 weeks that I can exchange and pay the restocking fee, but am I screwed for trying to get an iphone 5 now? I don't think I can exchange for a preorder. Not sure if I should just exchange for an android phone instead.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

CowGuy posted:

I bought an iPhone 4 today, and see that the iphone 5 preorders start the 30th. I know I have 2 weeks that I can exchange and pay the restocking fee, but am I screwed for trying to get an iphone 5 now? I don't think I can exchange for a preorder. Not sure if I should just exchange for an android phone instead.

Just return it and eat the 35 bucks. It's a small price to pay for getting the phone you actually want.

Im pretty sure you can just return it and sit on your upgrade, you don't HAVE to exchange it for another phone.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

CowGuy posted:

I bought an iPhone 4 today, and see that the iphone 5 preorders start the 30th.

Where are you seeing this?

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
You don't have to exchange the iPhone4 immediately so just go back and return it. Pay the restock fee and hold the upgrade for the 5. Seriously, if you're asking if you should wait for the 5 then you already want it.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
And as I feared my OG Droid is on its last legs, looks like I'll be on the Bionic train come this weekend. We had a good run mister Droid, I will miss you.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

waffle iron posted:

The only area of Vermont that would really be possible for LTE is Burlington and the surrounding towns. Then you have to consider that the land use laws in Vermont are prohibitive to get if you want to put them on desirable places like the tops of mountains: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Act_250_(Vermont_law)

Edit: And lord knows if there is the backhaul. Although there are one or two local companies that are offering Gigabit Ethernet broadband in the state.

For Vermont for analog and 3g, the cell companies pay farmers and churches "rent" to mount cell antennas to the sides of silos, or to use the steeple. They can probably do the same with 4g, but I imagine the cost of more spots due to lower altitude combined with lower population makes it fairly undesirable.

Rakins
Apr 6, 2009

LaptopGun posted:

You don't have to exchange the iPhone4 immediately so just go back and return it. Pay the restock fee and hold the upgrade for the 5. Seriously, if you're asking if you should wait for the 5 then you already want it.
Difference is the phone is on a new line added on family plan. I don't know if I can just exchange it and be able to wait without a phone because it isn't an upgrade.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
You can always pick up a cheap smart phone on craigslist or ebay for a while, use that on your account until the iphone 5 comes out, then sell it again probably for about the same amount.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone here have a 4G USB modem? I got one the other day, and while the internet connection is amazing (so fast, I started at 5GB but I know I'm gonna have to bump up to 10GB because I'm using too much), the device itself (or maybe it's the software) is crap. I have to plug it in, connect to the network, disconnect, and then reconnect to use the internet, and it will occasionally freeze up, which means I have to physically disconnect the modem from my laptop and start the process all over again. I'm probably gonna switch to a different model, see if that makes a difference, but is this a normal problem?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

CowGuy posted:

Buy this and return the iphone http://www.amazon.com/Palm-Pixi-Plus-Verizon-Contract/dp/B004IPAC10

Yoshifan823 posted:

Does anyone here have a 4G USB modem? I got one the other day, and while the internet connection is amazing (so fast, I started at 5GB but I know I'm gonna have to bump up to 10GB because I'm using too much), the device itself (or maybe it's the software) is crap. I have to plug it in, connect to the network, disconnect, and then reconnect to use the internet, and it will occasionally freeze up, which means I have to physically disconnect the modem from my laptop and start the process all over again. I'm probably gonna switch to a different model, see if that makes a difference, but is this a normal problem?

I had the 4g mifi and it did the same poo poo. I think it's more on an issue with the 4g networks because the 3g usb and the 3g mifi I have work great all the time

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Marketing Shill posted:

I had the 4g mifi and it did the same poo poo. I think it's more on an issue with the 4g networks because the 3g usb and the 3g mifi I have work great all the time

I've had the Samsung LTE hotspot since April and it liked to drop connections all the time, but the most recent firmware update from a couple weeks ago seems to have fixed that.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Alarbus posted:

For Vermont for analog and 3g, the cell companies pay farmers and churches "rent" to mount cell antennas to the sides of silos, or to use the steeple. They can probably do the same with 4g, but I imagine the cost of more spots due to lower altitude combined with lower population makes it fairly undesirable.

Well if they're really serious about their plans with LTE they'll have to do that eventually.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
So I called Verizon as an anonymous customer and was told that it depends on the rep transferring the contract. Some of them do let you keep the unlimited data, but the official Verizon position is that the customer has to move to a current plan.

However, I did some research and from what I've read, if you do an "assumption of liability" and don't change the device on the account, you do get to keep the current features. The plan has to be changed to a current one but the unlimited data is a feature and can stick.

Now to decide if this is really what I want to do, especially with the iPhone5 and Nexus Prime around the corner. I do see a few people offering Thunderbolts for free with unlimited data with ~20 months left on the contract.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Mark Larson posted:

So I called Verizon as an anonymous customer and was told that it depends on the rep transferring the contract. Some of them do let you keep the unlimited data, but the official Verizon position is that the customer has to move to a current plan.

However, I did some research and from what I've read, if you do an "assumption of liability" and don't change the device on the account, you do get to keep the current features. The plan has to be changed to a current one but the unlimited data is a feature and can stick.

Now to decide if this is really what I want to do, especially with the iPhone5 and Nexus Prime around the corner. I do see a few people offering Thunderbolts for free with unlimited data with ~20 months left on the contract.

That was what I found. The first person actually shut off my unlimited data when I did my AoL, but the second person (had to call back because I need to verify that I was me.....) actually turned it back on and said sorry. So, I did an AoL and got to keep my unlimited data.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Marketing Shill posted:

I honestly think it's the software, because it doesn't drop the network, but literally freezes up, and I have to take the USB out of my computer in order to fully disconnect from it. I hope it's an issue with the fact that it's still in need of a bit more testing (it's for MacOS 10.7, so it's still fairly new), but if it were just dropping me, I'd be less concerned. My parents have one of the mobile hotspots, and it's worked pretty much perfectly since they got it.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

CowGuy posted:

Difference is the phone is on a new line added on family plan. I don't know if I can just exchange it and be able to wait without a phone because it isn't an upgrade.

I missed that part. get a hold of another phone and we can activate it on the line. Do you know anyone with an old Verizon smartphone you can borrow? You will just be no contract until you use the subsidy. arisu and Marketing Shill both have very good ideas too.

I recommend using a smartphone so you don't need to go through messy plan changes for the return and when you buy the new iPhone

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I'm up for a renewal/phone upgrade, and I've been using an Incredible (1st gen) on an unlimited 3G plan. Just to be safe - if the only thing I change is the device (say upgrading to a Bionic or whatever), and don't adjust anything about the plan... I can still keep the unlimited date deal, right?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Aatrek posted:

I'm up for a renewal/phone upgrade, and I've been using an Incredible (1st gen) on an unlimited 3G plan. Just to be safe - if the only thing I change is the device (say upgrading to a Bionic or whatever), and don't adjust anything about the plan... I can still keep the unlimited date deal, right?

Yes.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Aatrek posted:

You can also change your plan as long as you don't drop your data plan (ie activate a dumbphone on your line)

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Lansing, Michigan chuckles at your lack of 4g.

e: So does Grand Rapids and Flint.

Especially Flint. Not sure why LTEing the ghetto makes that much sense, but I'm happy for it. Particularly in my small town south of Flint, where I can get 4 bars of LTE (I've started refusing to call it 4G) upstairs and pull 22Mbit.

Apparently they're lighting up Saginaw this month, as well.

Ibsen
Jun 20, 2006
I am Not.
Right now I have a G1 with T-Mobile that I've had since around they came out. Lets say I want to now get a Bionic. What will I have to pay, and will the bionic be priced into the plan? Would it be 60 + 30 for talk & text + data, respectively? And would you recommend something else? I basically want something faster (both processing and internet compared to the G1), and I'm in the process of learning to develop apps. What is considered pricey or what is reasonable?

Ibsen fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 22, 2011

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Ibsen posted:

Right now I have a G1 with T-Mobile that I've had since around they came out. Lets say I want to now get a Bionic. What will I have to pay, and will the bionic be priced into the plan? Would it be 60 + 30 for talk & text + data, respectively?

You'll have to get some sort of voice plan + a data plan (and texting if you want it).

Smartphone data plans start at $30/month and include 2GB of data usage. Up to $80/month will get you 5GB (or is it 10?).

You'll need to buy the phone separately. Depending on the current deals available, it seems like you can pick up a Bionic anywhere from $179 to $299 with a new 2-year agreement.

Ibsen
Jun 20, 2006
I am Not.
Thanks for the quick reply! I want voice, texting, and data. What am I looking at total then, for say 2 GB?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

AlexDeGruven posted:

Especially Flint. Not sure why LTEing the ghetto makes that much sense, but I'm happy for it. Particularly in my small town south of Flint, where I can get 4 bars of LTE (I've started refusing to call it 4G) upstairs and pull 22Mbit.

Apparently they're lighting up Saginaw this month, as well.

I saw that, no word on Jackson unfortunately, I'd like to know when I can get LTE at my boyfriend's house and rub it in his Sprint-having face.

Sypher
Feb 4, 2003
I received my Bionic yesterday. It is an amazing phone, and LTE is way faster than what I could imagine. I am very happy I am grandfathered in with an unlimited plan!

However, I am having some issues tonight. As of about 2 hours ago, data is non-existent. I am sitting on 3-4 bars, 4g is blue with arrows shooting up and down, but no data is coming through. Weatherbug is timed out, browser not working, tweetdeck not working, etc.

After doing some searching, it seems quite a few people have had issues with data crapping out. I followed some suggestions, such as airplane toggle, wi-fi toggle, and hard battery reset. Nothing is working. Not even toggling CDMA only in settings. I cant even get data on 3g.

Has anyone experienced this? Any solutions? Do I have a bum unit and just go to VZW store and replace it? I have not rooted the phone, if that makes a difference.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Sypher posted:

I received my Bionic yesterday. It is an amazing phone, and LTE is way faster than what I could imagine. I am very happy I am grandfathered in with an unlimited plan!

However, I am having some issues tonight. As of about 2 hours ago, data is non-existent. I am sitting on 3-4 bars, 4g is blue with arrows shooting up and down, but no data is coming through. Weatherbug is timed out, browser not working, tweetdeck not working, etc.

After doing some searching, it seems quite a few people have had issues with data crapping out. I followed some suggestions, such as airplane toggle, wi-fi toggle, and hard battery reset. Nothing is working. Not even toggling CDMA only in settings. I cant even get data on 3g.

Has anyone experienced this? Any solutions? Do I have a bum unit and just go to VZW store and replace it? I have not rooted the phone, if that makes a difference.

I would take it back to the store to check it out. I'm assuming that you can make calls on it and are not getting any errors related to your SIM card, right? How about using wifi for data (you didn't mention if it actually worked, just that you had tried to toggle it)? Also, do you know anyone else with a Verizon smartphone in the area that could help rule out a bad tower causing problems?

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only
Anyone else run into strange "Insufficient storage available" errors when updating/installing apps on Bionic?

Despite having gigabytes of available storage on my phone I'll sometimes have app installs fail due to insufficient storage. If I try again immediately it works just fine. App size doesn't seem to come into play. It isn't anything more than a minor annoyance, but it is annoying none the less.

avan
Apr 26, 2010

NewcastleBrown posted:

Anyone else run into strange "Insufficient storage available" errors when updating/installing apps on Bionic?

Despite having gigabytes of available storage on my phone I'll sometimes have app installs fail due to insufficient storage. If I try again immediately it works just fine. App size doesn't seem to come into play. It isn't anything more than a minor annoyance, but it is annoying none the less.

Yeah I've had that happen a few times.

Also I did a battery switch after shutting down my phone and the two apps I downloaded while that battery was in use disappeared from my phone once I replaced the battery. has that happened to anyone else?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've had the intermittent insufficient storage message pop up on every Android device I've ever used, no matter the free space available.

I've only had it happen on my Bionic when I was installing apps from the Amazon marketplace and installing them in quick succession after each other. It's almost as if the OS is currently calculating the free space left on the device (after the last app install) when the check happens to install a new app and it gets bad data back.

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

bull3964 posted:

I've had the intermittent insufficient storage message pop up on every Android device I've ever used, no matter the free space available.

I've only had it happen on my Bionic when I was installing apps from the Amazon marketplace and installing them in quick succession after each other. It's almost as if the OS is currently calculating the free space left on the device (after the last app install) when the check happens to install a new app and it gets bad data back.

My previous Android device was the original Droid. When it told me it was out of space it was definitely not lying.

I've had this happen with apps from the official marketplace and when installing only the one app. The app that prompted my post failed for storage, then failed for a bad download, then failed for storage, then installed just fine. Thank goodness for unlimited data, because it was a 30Mb download that I had to do 4 times.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
It's probably because the /cache partition is full.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I really like the costco deal and I have an old school ne2 upgrade right now since something ridiculous like february. I was going to wait til July when the iphone5/bionic/etc were originally slated to come out and here I am now thinking about waiting til november 11th or 13th whenever the verizon galaxy nexus/prime will/"might" come out.

The bionic is good, but I want to see how the iphone is going to be even just 3g, then I will probably say fuckit and hold off for the VZW samsung device. Ugh. Waiting.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Not an Anthem posted:

The bionic is good, but I want to see how the iphone is going to be even just 3g, then I will probably say fuckit and hold off for the VZW samsung device. Ugh. Waiting.

Not to place you in further agony, but within the next 2 months...

Motorola Droid HD aka Droid RAZR aka Spyder

HTC Vigor aka HTC Rezound

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I may have missed it but I didn't see any indication in that article that the Droid HD/Spyder/Razr was going to come out in the next two months.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I have a Bionic camera question. For those of you who have it doesn't it seem like it takes forever to focus and then take the picture? It's really annoying because I never seem to be able to get a decent picture because of this. Is there third party apps that use the camera and do it better?

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

wandler20 posted:

I have a Bionic camera question. For those of you who have it doesn't it seem like it takes forever to focus and then take the picture? It's really annoying because I never seem to be able to get a decent picture because of this. Is there third party apps that use the camera and do it better?

The only other camera app I've used is Vignette, which I had to ditch with Bionic. Not only did I start getting weird view issues on rotating the screen (strange screen stretching/cropping) but there is also no way to turn off the camera click audio short of rooting and replacing the sound file with a blank one.

E: I guess that doesn't help you at all...

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Really HTC/Verizon (not sure who is responsible)? The HTC "Rezound," what the gently caress kind of name is that. Vigor/Thunderbolt 2/Incredible HD WAS FINE.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I got my Bionic on Thursday, and today a stuck pixel popped up right in the middle of the screen. Costco shouldn't have a problem exchanging it for another, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Codiusprime posted:

Really HTC/Verizon (not sure who is responsible)? The HTC "Rezound," what the gently caress kind of name is that. Vigor/Thunderbolt 2/Incredible HD WAS FINE.

I can see them not wanting to call it the Tunderbolt 2 because the Thunderbolt 1 is only about 6 months old.

Incredible HD would have been a good name though.

• Locked thread