Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

irlZaphod posted:

I just showed up and started playing without warming up

I think I've identified the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
First training session with the village team tonight, first time playing properly in years. Worried I will have lost all my pace now I'm an old man (22) and can't play left wing anymore :(

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

^^^^ Christ I wish I was still 22

Xylorjax posted:

I think I've identified the problem.
Yeah, it's pretty bad and I usually know better

Rossy
Oct 25, 2004
I gave up playing football when i was 18 due to constantly being taken out after i done someone and mass brawls on the pitch after the match every week.

I thought i'd try some some 5 a-side a few years later but guess what? its still exactly the same.

I dont see the point in knobs ruining a game of football because they're losing and go out to hurt you because they're poo poo. Too much of a risk to get a broken leg and be off work months on end without pay.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Where the hell do you play football?

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
At Her Majesty's pleasure, it sounds like.

Rossy
Oct 25, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

Where the hell do you play football?

Stevenage/Hitchin

Is it not like this throughout the UK then? :-/

Maybe i just have one of those faces....

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Rossy posted:

Stevenage/Hitchin

Was a bit like that where I played, but sounds like you got a particularly bad bunch. A lot of 5 aside players compensate for lack of pace or skill by being very physical, not much you can do unfortunately.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Rossy posted:

Stevenage/Hitchin

Isn't Stevenage where supporters invade the pitch and punch their own players for beating Premiership sides?

Georges
Sep 12, 2007
This post is out of nowhere but I'm excited so I'll post anyways.

I play division 3 soccer in the United States at a small college in Ohio. I'm a sophomore starter, was a starter last year as well. Last year our team went (6-7-3) and lost or tied every conference game, so it was a disaster. This year we switched up the lineup to a 4-3-3 and I'm stuck playing left wing back. I'm really fast so I tear up the wing, but I hate getting back on defense and would much prefer being up top or even as an attacking midfielder. Coach says I'm a natural wing back though(keeps comparing me to Gareth Bale, but I'd rather be an RvP).

Anyways our first home game is today at 5pm. We're (2-1-0) so far this season but our team looks a lot better in my opinion. We play an NAIA team today, which means they have unlimited scholarship money to lure Brazilians and Brits to their lovely rear end school, so they'll be stacked with the shittiest Brazilians and British footballers you'll ever see. Should be fun.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Rossy posted:

Stevenage/Hitchin

Well I'm Irish so can't really speak for the UK (although I've played in gay tournaments in Leeds and Manchester), but here I think I only know of one incident really, where a guy on my team was basically body-checked over the Summer in an FAI 7 a side league match. A couple of the teams in that were kinda scumbag-y though.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

The Saurus posted:

First training session with the village team tonight, first time playing properly in years. Worried I will have lost all my pace now I'm an old man (22) and can't play left wing anymore :(

i stopped playing when i was 18 and picked it back up when i was 23 and still haven't lost a step at 28 hope this helps

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

mang posted:

i stopped playing when i was 18 and picked it back up when i was 23 and still haven't lost a step at 28 hope this helps

same here but i started playing again when I was 26.

Rossy
Oct 25, 2004

Ninpo posted:

Isn't Stevenage where supporters invade the pitch and punch their own players for beating Premiership sides?

haha yeah. Full of knobs.

The Stevenage player used to go out with the girl who is now going out with the fan that punched him. Maybe he doesnt like sloppy seconds?

Heres the vid of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcZ7Zsg3Qok

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Played my first game for my new team today (indoor, goalie). Good fun, but jesus gently caress am I stiff now.

Pulled out a couple of absolute robbery saves (one where I read a top-corner shot and got a hand to it to push it over, and another where I dove the wrong way, but got a toe to the ball to knock it onto the crossbar and back to me), but lost on penalties. (Our penalty got DQ'ed because of a stutter-step [house rules], then I read their kicker like a book but second-guessed myself and stood still as the ball went exactly where I thought it was going to go. :sigh:)

Kneepadchat: I wear nike volleyball kneepads (like these except mine are grey instead of black because I've had them for ten years), gently caress astroturf burns. Also gently caress astroturf burns getting infected and turning my entire knee joint into an inflated pus balloon. Jus' saying.

Other indoor goalies: do you guys wear shinpads/etc? I got a few odd looks when I turned up with shinpads/kneepads/gloves today, literally no-one else in any of the four games on had any sort of protective equipment. :stare:

(Odd looks don't bother me in the slightest - as long as my kit gives me the confidence to go full stretch on concrete-backed astroturf, I'm going to keep using it.)

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Don't wear kneepads you pansy

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Ewar Woowar posted:

Don't wear kneepads you pansy

Honestly I'm fine with bruises, but astroturf burns that take months to disappear are just a bit too annoying.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Yeah that fake turf stuff with the small black rubber bits just straight up burns holes in your knees that take weeks and weeks to heal and weep all the time

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Astroturf is loving lethal and I refuse to play anything on it.

dox
Mar 4, 2006
Oi lads, studying abroad over in Budapest this semester. Had a trip to the southern part of the country where us Americans were gifted to a match versus some local Hungarians. I ended up being the only actual player in our group so of course I had to play all 40 minutes of the match. I recently dislocated my knee cap (~3 months ago) and have had a hard time coming back from the injury, struggling with things like patellar tendonitis in both of my knees. We ended up going down 0-4 in the first half.. and boy was I frustrated. Luckily, I managed to take out my frustration in the second half and I scrapped 2 goals into the net followed by 2 assists to our 6'10 Peter Crouch off corners. In the end, we lost in the final minutes from a ridiculous header as our amateur keeper came out 10 feet to punch the ball... oh well! Past few days I've been suffering dearly with my right knee (I dislocated my left knee) giving way numerous times during the day... very, very frustrating and painful!

By the way, Hungarians really are not that good at football... can't wait to build up some strength in the knees and get out here on the pitch in Budapest!

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Hungarians poo poo at football? But Honved and Wolverhampton wanderers were the entire reason for the existence of the champions league!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I think it's just the Hungarians you were playing with, the ones I played with here were pretty good.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

The Saurus posted:

Astroturf is loving lethal and I refuse to play anything on it.

Yeah, I just wear pants now cos Astroturf is the worst. Started playing at a new place with a rubberised surface though, and it's way nicer to fall on.

We lost our finals series at indoor last week, although it was set up stupid with a semi-final and final on the same night, and the semi being 1st vs 2nd, which we lost 10-2. Had a grading game this week, and 2 of our players showed up late, so we had to play 5 min with only 3 men. I scored our first goal, then got shin splints about 10 min later and just couldn't run anymore, so I kept for the rest of the game. Havn't kept in about a year, and only conceded one.

Anyway, is there anything you can do for shin splints? They hurt like gently caress.

Ming the Merciless
Aug 10, 2005
You're a beard with an idiot hanging off of it.

NinjaSteve posted:

Anyway, is there anything you can do for shin splints? They hurt like gently caress.

Sit on your heels with your toes pointing back and hold for a minute or so, or as long as feels comfortable. That stretches out the tendons that run through the shin.

Edit: not a one time exercise, the flexibility is something you need to develop over time.

Ming the Merciless fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 21, 2011

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Shin splint stretch with lovely cell phone example:

Sit and cross your leg, putting your right ankle on your left knee. Take the top of your right foot in your left hand and place the heel of your right hand against the back of your right heel for leverage. Pull the top of your foot and toes to stretch that muscle, moving your foot around to where you feel the best stretch. Do this for about 10-20 seconds, firmly massage the muscle for a few more, then do the other leg. You can't really do this with shoes/ankle guards/shin guards on, so do it before you gear up. It also helps to do it two or three times a day, not just before you play. Do it while you're watching tv or taking a dump or whatever.

Once I added this to my regular warm-up/stretch routine the pain all but disappeared. Remember to do standing calf/hamstring stretches as well.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

I think it's just the Hungarians you were playing with, the ones I played with here were pretty good.

They were all pretty old too. The Brazilian-Hungarians (born in Brazil, raised in Hungary) were young and pretty drat good. Their 50-year-old Hungarian keeper kept making these ridiculous saves in the first half, too... frustrating to say the least.

FortCastle
Apr 24, 2009
I quit playing soccer 3 or 4 years ago before I started high school. Now I'm a senior in high school and tryouts are in three weeks and I hear our team is poo poo so I'm trying out. I just kicked around today with a friend and realized that I too am pretty poo poo so if anyone has any suggestions on how to become a baller in three weeks I'm all ears.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

NinjaSteve posted:

Astroturf is the worst.

i know some stadiums have turf. do the pros use the same artificial stuff that we do??

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

FortCastle posted:

I quit playing soccer 3 or 4 years ago before I started high school. Now I'm a senior in high school and tryouts are in three weeks and I hear our team is poo poo so I'm trying out. I just kicked around today with a friend and realized that I too am pretty poo poo so if anyone has any suggestions on how to become a baller in three weeks I'm all ears.

Get in shape. 3 weeks isn't enough time to become a great player, but if you can run harder longer than the other guy, you can at least make it interesting.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

FortCastle posted:

Don't be poo poo

If you're serious, which you probably aren't, have a ball at your feet loving constantly. Your touch is probably complete poo poo, so that'll be the first thing you need to get up. gently caress learning how to finish, you're going to poo poo your pants any time you get near the goal so whatever. Also don't be a pussy. There, you can play wingback now (if you can run a lot I guess)

pintxo
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
My soccer league starts soon

I'm kind of poo poo, but I've been doing lots of cardio :)

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

FortCastle posted:

if anyone has any suggestions on how to become a baller in three weeks I'm all ears.

Work on your fitness and strength and keep stuff simple.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Starting our leagues tonight, we've an 11 a side team and a 5 a side. I'm on the 5 a side. We actually have a pretty strong team now I think, and have a coach who's been working on our fitness and stuff, so hopefully we'll do ok. The 5 a side squad isn't the strongest, but we'll see what happens. :stare: I just wish I was fitter.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

euroboy posted:

Work on your fitness and strength and keep stuff simple.

This. Get a ball, find a wall and practice passing to it/controlling the rebound with both feet, shoot at it, kill the rebound, throw/kick the ball high in the air and practice chesting it down or trapping it underfoot, put chalk Xs on the wall and shoot at them etc.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

nthig the 'get in shape and also just have a ball attached to your feet for the next three weeks'

even if you are poo poo, being able to keep running gives you a massive advantage over everyone else, and if you get your first touch down, you have a shitload more time to do everything else

FortCastle
Apr 24, 2009

tbp posted:

Don't be poo poo

If you're serious, which you probably aren't, have a ball at your feet loving constantly. Your touch is probably complete poo poo, so that'll be the first thing you need to get up. gently caress learning how to finish, you're going to poo poo your pants any time you get near the goal so whatever. Also don't be a pussy. There, you can play wingback now (if you can run a lot I guess)

Thanks for the replies everyone, I was in fact at least semi-serious when asking for advice. Luckily I'm already in decent shape and I'm doing conditioning with the team. I've mostly been doing juggling and touch work by myself during the week and I'm getting together with some friends to play on the weekend. I went out to some fields today and shot and I'm not nearly as bad as I though I would be so hopefully I can at least get to be decent in the next few weeks.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

FortCastle posted:

Thanks for the replies everyone, I was in fact at least semi-serious when asking for advice. Luckily I'm already in decent shape and I'm doing conditioning with the team. I've mostly been doing juggling and touch work by myself during the week and I'm getting together with some friends to play on the weekend. I went out to some fields today and shot and I'm not nearly as bad as I though I would be so hopefully I can at least get to be decent in the next few weeks.

Touch work is good. However, you'll want to work on controlling poo poo passes too, so find a wall and feed yourself poo poo passes. :v:

(All the passes are poo poo. All of them.)

Speaking of poo poo passes, we got shelled today in our indoor game. Some of that shelling was due to me (goalie) passing like poo poo. Anyone got any tips for good passing? We're using an indoor ball (soft bouncy green thing) and I'm getting grumbled at because I can't stop the loving thing bouncing when I'm trying to throw it to feet (I'm used to futsal balls, which bounce like a block of lead). Would I be better off passing using my feet?

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Either play it with your feet or roll it underarm. If you have to throw it further then make sure it bounces no further than 2/3 of the way to your teammate, that way after the bounce it will be coming back down by the time he receives it which is much easier to control.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Just throw it directly at them and then blame their lack of control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Scikar posted:

Either play it with your feet or roll it underarm. If you have to throw it further then make sure it bounces no further than 2/3 of the way to your teammate, that way after the bounce it will be coming back down by the time he receives it which is much easier to control.

Also don't throw overarm with those things, go for more of a sideways whip or the thing will bounce like dambusters.