Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ChuckDHead posted:

Yeah, the suave response is especially bad for that. You expect a witty one-liner and Thornton says something remarkably creepy or stupid that pisses off whoever you're talking to.

After playing it a few times I've decided that the dialogue labels are what Thorton thinks they are, not necessarily what they actually are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

vulgey posted:

There's one option that comes up in that conversation "Smash Glass". Ohhhh, I thought, I can smash the glass on the bar and maybe he will see I mean business. Not exactly how it turned out....

Yeah, but beating up Grigori is one of my favorite scenes in the game. No matter what archetype I'm playing, I hate passing up a chance for a headslam.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

gohuskies posted:

Yeah, but beating up Grigori is one of my favorite scenes in the game. No matter what archetype I'm playing, I hate passing up a chance for a headslam.

And it's the best for meta-gaming the Embassy level since he warns them you are coming and it changes the guards from rent-a-cops to fully equipped marines which makes protecting Surhov a bit easier.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Hank Morgan posted:

And it's the best for meta-gaming the Embassy level since he warns them you are coming and it changes the guards from rent-a-cops to fully equipped marines which makes protecting Surhov a bit easier.

And it's really easy to talk your way passed the armed guards if you're wearing armor.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

evilmiera posted:

Saudi is the only place that cuts off your equipment access afterwards, mainly because of story reasons and to give you incentive to locate more characters to buy from. Stuff will stay unlocked for you, and may even lower in price for various reasons.

Not all intel is crucial, so don't worry about buying all the maps for things for each mission (some do grant you extra quests and such however, so be mindful of what might be interesting). Sell off anything you don't think you'll need, crack every safe and hack every computer for cash if available. And some stuff is just expensive, so it takes a while to attain (though you'll find a few useful replacement items during missions at times).

I actually think the extra quest intel is just to locate it for you on the map. You can still get it without having to buy it by just being very thorough in your room sweeps.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Game is currently 90% off on steam (aka TWO DOLLARS). If anyone hasn't grabbed it yet, here's your chance.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Towards the end, fighting the helicopter, is it just really tough or what? I cleared all the henchmen and shot at it with all the rockets, it still won't go down. Its quite frustrating and I'd be really angry if the game as hosed up so close to what I presume to be the finale.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

Game is currently 90% off on steam (aka TWO DOLLARS). If anyone hasn't grabbed it yet, here's your chance.

Damnit, why doesn't Steam have a purchasing option that lets you stick 10 or more copies into your inventory at once? Would save me a lot of time :haw:

(I realize it is to avoid reselling of massive quantities of games, but it still sucks). Oh, guess what I'm getting ready for, by the way :)

Edit: Eff. Not that old error again... this always crops up when I'm trying to do these things. Guess I have to wait an hour or so :(

Edit2: vvv 404, I was doing that actually, but now my nemesis seems to be the Steam store itself. I'm guessing it is a safety mechanism to avoid keys being bought en masse.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 22, 2011

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Towards the end, fighting the helicopter, is it just really tough or what? I cleared all the henchmen and shot at it with all the rockets, it still won't go down. Its quite frustrating and I'd be really angry if the game as hosed up so close to what I presume to be the finale.

Shoot it with guns?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

evilmiera posted:

Damnit, why doesn't Steam have a purchasing option that lets you stick 10 or more copies into your inventory at once? Would save me a lot of time :haw:

(I realize it is to avoid reselling of massive quantities of games, but it still sucks). Oh, guess what I'm getting ready for, by the way :)

One thing that can help is to just fill up your Steam Wallet and use that to buy games. At the very least, it'll avoid putting a million tiny transactions on your statement that might make your bank freeze your card.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

It is quite hard, yes. You can also kill it with the AR, and I suppose perhaps the other weapons as well, though I never tried with those. You pretty much have to find a spot of cover where you can't be hit (down at the bottom of the hill there are some rocks you can hide behind) and then hop out of cover, shoot, then hop back in before you get hit.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I've lucked out and glitched that part more than once, just shown up and the gate was already destroyed and the helicopter wasn't even there.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I've lucked out and glitched that part more than once, just shown up and the gate was already destroyed and the helicopter wasn't even there.

I've found that dying or restarting a checkpoint clears out the enemies. I didn't know that could happen with the helicopter, though.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
Oh boy, a Steam sale! How about we dust off the spoiler tags for all the new people joining the thread?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Category Fun! posted:

Oh boy, a Steam sale! How about we dust off the spoiler tags for all the new people joining the thread?

I think Waffleimages ate most of my screenshots in the OP, you may want to put up some new ones. Feel free to use this one http://steamcommunity.com/id/scorch/screenshot/540648201818186364/?filter=app_34010

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Scorchy posted:

I think Waffleimages ate most of my screenshots in the OP, you may want to put up some new ones. Feel free to use this one http://steamcommunity.com/id/scorch/screenshot/540648201818186364/?filter=app_34010

Wow, waffleimages? I didn't realise the first thread was that long ago. I'll put up some new screenshots this weekend (Feel free to contribute any, folks!).

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

gohuskies posted:

It is quite hard, yes. You can also kill it with the AR, and I suppose perhaps the other weapons as well, though I never tried with those. You pretty much have to find a spot of cover where you can't be hit (down at the bottom of the hill there are some rocks you can hide behind) and then hop out of cover, shoot, then hop back in before you get hit.

I don't know, I never found it that hard. Wait until you hear the lock on noise and then run to a different area and the missile won't hit you. There's also like 8 rocket launchers so if you miss with a couple it's not the end of the world.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Mike_V posted:

I don't know, I never found it that hard. Wait until you hear the lock on noise and then run to a different area and the missile won't hit you. There's also like 8 rocket launchers so if you miss with a couple it's not the end of the world.

Exactly. I've never died to that helicopter. Just shoot it with a rocket launcher, run to the next cover and repeat until it is destroyed.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Mike_V posted:

I don't know, I've played 4 times through now so I can do it no problem now, but my first time, that was probably the hardest fight in the game.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Scorchy posted:

That one really needs to be reduced to just "Y" because no one should ever choose anything else.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Got this for $2 on steam, I don't need any patches or mods or anything do I?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
No mods that I'm aware of, and Steam autopatches. There are some ini changes in the op (or at least they were last time I looked) that may or may not be useful for you, try the game first and see.

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Covered in blood and without any clothes. Where is my mother?
Gotta agree with earlier posts. The ending was a huge let down. I didn't even get to bang SIE. :colbert:

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
The helicopter was easy as hell, you can hide under the bunker that's directly under the helicopter and just chill out while your endurance regens if you need to, and it's almost point blank range if you suck at aiming the missiles, you can just grab a missile, go back to that point and take four steps to the side and easily blow it up.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

vulgey posted:

Gotta agree with earlier posts. The ending was a huge let down.
There are multiple endings. (Link is a super spoiler.)

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

vulgey posted:

Gotta agree with earlier posts. The ending was a huge let down. I didn't even get to bang SIE. :colbert:

There is no way for Thorton to bang SIE. There are ways for SIE to bang Thorton though.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Can someone please explain to me how hacking works in this game? I am stuck at the first level at the first computer I am supposed to hack.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
It's meant to be done with a controller, so it treats your keyboard/mouse like analog sticks. For the keyboard side it's pretty easy, but for the mouse side it doesn't matter how much you move the mouse, as long as it's moving the right code will move in the same direction at a constant rate.

It sucks, but as a consolation prize lockpicking is way easier without a controller.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I will plug the controller when I play again but what the gently caress am I supposed to do in the hacking minigame? Does the game give you any indication that you are highlighting the correct code sequence cause I did not notice any.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Also, the tutorial for hacking assumes that you haven't rebound any controls; if you have, the instructions it gives you are wrong. So if you're having problems with one of the codes not locking in, that's probably why.

E: you'll know you have the right sequence hilighted because the stuff under the cursor won't be changing. Everything else changes constantly, the real codes don't.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 23, 2011

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
My biggest hangup was that, yes. For the mouse chunk of code, you just need to keep in mind that it's treating the mouse like an analog stick, so move it a bit in the direction you need to go and hold it still.

EDIT: As for highlighting the sequence, no. It's basically just getting good at picking them out among the scrolling text.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Kitfox88 posted:

EDIT: As for highlighting the sequence, no. It's basically just getting good at picking them out among the scrolling text.

gently caress me.... :psyduck:

I might have to uninstall this game then because try as I might I can't see the code in that jumble. It wouldn't be so bad if the numbers were not moving but I literally spent an hour at the first mission hacking tutorial with no success. Whoever thought that hacking minigame is a good idea needs to be fired and never work on any game ever again.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I dunno man, it's like a magic eye, change your focal point to the box as a whole and try to scan for parts that aren't moving. Sometimes it's a little tricky, but the hacking minigame is by far the easiest for me.

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!

Mike_V posted:

I dunno man, it's like a magic eye, change your focal point to the box as a whole and try to scan for parts that aren't moving. Sometimes it's a little tricky, but the hacking minigame is by far the easiest for me.

Yeah, I had a lot of trouble seeing it the first time, but once I figured out how to do it, it became pretty easy.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Yeah, what I would do is unfocus my eyes from it, like stare at something other than the hacking interface and watch it out of the side of my eyes, and that'd make it a bit easier to spot the non-moving code. I can definitely see it being so difficult for people though that it becomes a major negative in the game. :shobon:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

For what it's worth, if you have that much trouble with hacking, you can skip every hacking minigame after the tutorial by either bypassing it entirely or using EMP grenades.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
You guys are weird. I just scan around and look for it and never have a problem. It's not like magic eye at all. It's just look at the screen and see the group of characters not at all moving. I just don't like how the mouse controls the right side if you aren't using a controller. It's so slow compared to the keyboard for the left side.

Also, a mod or the op should change the title until the 28th because this game is a steal for $2. I might buy this for a friend. How does gifting work? Do I just buy another copy and it asks for the steam id of the person? Meh I'll just go check it out.

Seriously though $2 on Steam should be the title

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 23, 2011

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

vulgey posted:

The newscasts that are on the TV in the safehouses are usually this kind of thing followed by a funny "fluff" story. I make sure to watch every TV after every mission.

"He will be arrested as soon as he is well enough to be arrested."

:haw:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

SymfonyMan posted:

Also, a mod or the op should change the title until the 28th because this game is a steal for $2. I might buy this for a friend. How does gifting work? Do I just buy another copy and it asks for the steam id of the person? Meh I'll just go check it out.

You go to buy the game and click "purchase as a gift" on the checkout screen. Then it gives you the options of "gift through email" (sends a gift unlock link to the email address you enter), "gift through steam" (sends it directly to anyone on your friends list; they'll get an email and a Steam popup saying "so-and-so has gifted you something, click here to accept"), or "add to inventory" (it goes into a stockpile of gifts that you can later send or trade to other people).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ChuckDHead posted:

Yeah, the suave response is especially bad for that. You expect a witty one-liner and Thornton says something remarkably creepy or stupid that pisses off whoever you're talking to.

That's exactly why an all suave playthrough is so awesome. I just love the remarkable lack of self-awareness Thorton exhibits. Mina usually thinks it's cute and Grigori likes people who are laid back, but most of the time he just ends up making a complete rear end of himself.

• Locked thread