Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I'd also recommend you completely skip Oblivion and just play Nehrim. Nehrim gets you the good parts of Oblivion and fixes most of the bad parts.

It's probably worth firing up Oblivion just to play through the Shivering Isles expansion. I got a real Planescape-y vibe from the environments, particularly in the Dementia half of New Sheoth and the rather unpleasant root system "dungeons".

Anyway, if you liked Gothic 1+2 it's probably worth adding Risen to the pile. While it flags (badly) as it heads into the endgame, the first few chapters which comprise mostly of exploring the island are absolutely wonderful. It has that good old Gothic progression (read: brutal difficulty), too; you start out fleeing in terror from random wildlife and finish the game as an all-powerful force of nature. Definitely worth a shot, especially since you already know what you're getting into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

DA II isn't on either list? I haven't played it and it seems the opinion is split on the game. I would be interested in getting it, now that it's less expansive. So what's the general opinion on the game? I liked it better when you could chose your race and your guy didn't talk but making the game more story driven doesn't bother me.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
You may want to give Arx Fatalis a shot. It has many things in common with Ultima Underworld. The source code was released earlier this year, as well, but I don't know if anything was done with that. Since you mentioned Avernum, Avadon - The Black Fortress came out not too long ago and is by the same developer.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I hated DA2 and couldn't get through it. Awful characters, awful story and pacing, and otherwise OK gameplay ruined by the inexplicable design decision of waves of enemies in combat.

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.

Ulio posted:

DA II isn't on either list? I haven't played it and it seems the opinion is split on the game. I would be interested in getting it, now that it's less expansive. So what's the general opinion on the game? I liked it better when you could chose your race and your guy didn't talk but making the game more story driven doesn't bother me.

It's not very good, although to be fair goons dislike it more than would be usual because the developers lied a lot/seemed really unpleasant and SNAKES N CAKES made a 3 month thread ripping the piss out of it.

Personally I did buy it, but took it back 2 days later. It just wasn't worth the time spent playing it.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
(DA2)

TJO posted:

It's not very good, although to be fair goons dislike it more than would be usual because the developers lied a lot/seemed really unpleasant and SNAKES N CAKES made a 3 month thread ripping the piss out of it.

Yeah. I found it to be ... playable, I would even go as far as to say that when I got to the final chapter and the story really started moving I even highly enjoyed it, even if I'd been grumbling about the pacing throughout the earlier parts.

The reusing of the same city locale without overland exploration, I actually like on a conceptual plane--but the reused dungeons, that's just stupid.

What it isn't, is anywhere near as good as DAO, on several points. In total I do not regret playing it but it would come down to a treshold of how good something has to be to be worth your time.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I don't know if anyone here plays these games but I've read a couple of reviews of Atelier Totori and they generally seem to say that Totori is like Rorona but better in just about every way. I had Rorona and liked it but didn't get too far because the schedule seemed a little too tight for all the tasks you had to complete and it just made it not as fun. Is this any better in Totori?

Assuming any/all of that is fixed, am I going to miss out on a lot in Totori story-wise if I didn't finish Rorona?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Some of the characters return in Totori, but I strongly doubt you'll miss much - though I'm still only two-thirds through Rorona at the moment, it isn't exactly a plot-packed game.

Rorona can be very overwhelming at first, but you do actually get a lot of time to do things; if you're particularly thorough you can end the first year with some people maxed out on trust, and then you start getting an assistant and the ability to register new items in shops for mass purchase, both of which drastically help.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

poo poo, that's right, Totori is coming out soon. Well, whatever, Dark Souls comes first. I'll get it later.

Stelas posted:

Rorona can be very overwhelming at first, but you do actually get a lot of time to do things; if you're particularly thorough you can end the first year with some people maxed out on trust, and then you start getting an assistant and the ability to register new items in shops for mass purchase, both of which drastically help.

Wait, you can max people out in the first year? My God, I don't think I got halfway on any single person by the end of my first year. Then again, I blew away a lot of time in Rorona dicking around in dungeons, so hey. I may love Gust's mainline franchise, but damned if I'm not terrible at them.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah, I maxed out Etsy, Cordelia and Iksel first year, mostly by being religious and checking Etsy every single day. She has a lot of front quests where you can just buy the items outright from a shop - you won't net much profit per quest, but you'll save a lot of time.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Stelas posted:

Some of the characters return in Totori, but I strongly doubt you'll miss much - though I'm still only two-thirds through Rorona at the moment, it isn't exactly a plot-packed game.

Yeah, I know the story isn't too complicated, haha. I just wonder if the interactions with the characters will be really loaded with references to the first game (in-jokes, relationships I don't understand, etc.) that I won't catch.

Oh well, I'm probably just going to jump into Totori anyway as it sounds like a better game overall.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

I went into Rorona expecting something simple and light-hearted but it was seriously once of the most stressful games I've ever played. My experience was similar to HondaCivet's; I really liked the game but I was constantly freaking out about one deadline or another. Maybe I was just bad at the game but I'm hoping Totori is a little more loose regarding time management.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Troffen posted:

I went into Rorona expecting something simple and light-hearted but it was seriously once of the most stressful games I've ever played. My experience was similar to HondaCivet's; I really liked the game but I was constantly freaking out about one deadline or another. Maybe I was just bad at the game but I'm hoping Totori is a little more loose regarding time management.

If I'm reading the reviews correctly it sounds like the game basically has no deadlines, or they're incredibly long, so you can kind of just do stuff in any order and however you'd like to do it. One reviewer complained that this made it hard to know what to do next sometimes, but overall it sounds like a huge improvement to me.

And yeah, I didn't really understand how everyone called Rorona relaxing. :argh:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Rorona may be a stressful game, but compared to Annie, the game sets a leisurely pace. I don't dislike the game, but holy poo poo, all the stuff you had to go through to properly build revenue was just mind-boggling. Managing properties, doing property-specific quests, doing normal adventurer's guild quests, party member quests, Assignments, managing and upgrading the store, gathering ite-:psyboom:

Also, the whole colored armor/weapons thing can go straight to the depths of hell. That was so loving annoying.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

The reviews for Totori are trickling in and they've mostly been pretty glowing. If I wasn't on my phone I'd link to a few. Pretty pumped for this animu simulator.

Has anyone ever made an Atelier thread or would it be a waste of time? Not sure how many goons play the series and I am new to it myself.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

HondaCivet posted:

The reviews for Totori are trickling in and they've mostly been pretty glowing. If I wasn't on my phone I'd link to a few. Pretty pumped for this animu simulator.

Has anyone ever made an Atelier thread or would it be a waste of time? Not sure how many goons play the series and I am new to it myself.

I just read the GamrReview review (god that's an awful name) and it really does sound pretty nice. I might just have to pick it up along with ICO/SotC Collection :)

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Another review for Totori

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

HondaCivet posted:

I've been playing Atelier since Atelier Iris on the Ps2 (Although I bought, but still haven't played Atelier Iris 3) so I'm not exactly new to it all. But I don't see myself investing the same way I did making the Xenoblade OP.

Is there much demand for one anyway? I think probably only a handful of people here play em.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

The Black Stones posted:

I've been playing Atelier since Atelier Iris on the Ps2 (Although I bought, but still haven't played Atelier Iris 3) so I'm not exactly new to it all. But I don't see myself investing the same way I did making the Xenoblade OP.

Is there much demand for one anyway? I think probably only a handful of people here play em.

It's hard to say but I'm kind of surprised at how many people responded to my post so there are more than I thought at least, haha. A thread would attract new players too. The game might be too anime for goons to handle though.

I wad kinda hoping Amazon was going to ship it a day early like they sometimes do with preorders but nothing so far. :/

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I just recently started a game of Breath of Fire 3, and I'm wondering, about when do I hit the time skip and become an adult? I've just picked up Momo and I'm in the Dump cave.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Heath posted:

I just recently started a game of Breath of Fire 3, and I'm wondering, about when do I hit the time skip and become an adult? I've just picked up Momo and I'm in the Dump cave.

A while yet; you'll need to go all the way east before it happens.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
About what percentage of the overall game is it? I think I'm about 9-10 hours in.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

Heath posted:

About what percentage of the overall game is it? I think I'm about 9-10 hours in.

I'd say you're halfway to the time skip, depending on how much you need to grind for a couple of upcoming roadblocks. The time skip itself is somewhere between the one-third and halfway point of the game, again depending on how much time you spend frigging around with masters and such.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

OK, so I'm taking the plunge and buying a big memory stick for my PSP and planning to catch up on all the PSone RPGs I've missed out on.

So far I've picked up:

Suikoden
Parasite Eve
Alundra
Legend of Mana
Front Mission 3
Grandia
Xenogears

And from the JP store, I'll be getting:

King's Field 1/2/3
Shadow Tower
Saga Frontier 1/2
Brigandine
Langrisser IV/V Final

Any other essentials? I've played FF7/8/9/Tactics already. I'm a big fan of solid ARPGs and SRPGs, and I've got a certain affinity for first-person dungeon-crawlers. Any suggestions, particularly on the first-person dungeon tip, are very welcome!

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

On the subject of alchemy based RPGs, anyone know anything about Noora's Chamber of Time? It looks pretty nice and the music is really good, but I haven't managed to find much info about it at all. Doesn't seem to have gotten announced for an English release yet either.

Also don't think I saw it mentioned, but Grand Knight's History is confirmed to be heading to US.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

Fermata Forever posted:

Here's a list of the computer RPGs I've played and ones I'm thinking about (though I probably won't get the ones near the bottom of the list). Anything else that I should add to the list?

Thoroughly enjoyed:

Arcanum
Baldur’s Gate I, II & Throne of Bhaal
Deus Ex
Dragon Age: Origins
Fallout I, II, III
Gothic I & II
Icewind Dale I & II
Knights of the Old Republic I & II
Mass Effect 1 & 2
Neverwinter Nights II: Mask of the Betrayer
Planescape: Torment
Temple of Elemental Evil (best combat system makes up for mediocre story & missions)
Vampire: Bloodlines
The Witcher

Mildly enjoyed:

Avernum I & II
Divine Divinity
Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark
Neverwinter Nights II & Storms Of Zehir
Ultima VII (only got halfway before HD died)
Wizardry VIII

Didn’t enjoy:

Diablo II (pure hack & slash gets boring after a while)
Neverwinter Nights 1 & Shadows over Undrentide

On my radar (starting with most likely to play):

Fallout New Vegas
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Alpha Protocol
The Witcher II
Bioshock
Drakensang
Divinity II: DKS
Dragon Age: Awakening
Two Worlds II
Morrowind
Oblivion

Can’t run:

System Shock 2

While they're already on your list I cannot recommend New Vegas enough. I didn't really dig 3 too much but I have sunk unending hours into F:NV with no regret. And if you dig a more arcade-y/action-y game Divinity 2 isn't bad at all while still retaining some fun RPG styling.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

thorsilver posted:

OK, so I'm taking the plunge and buying a big memory stick for my PSP and planning to catch up on all the PSone RPGs I've missed out on.

So far I've picked up:

Suikoden
Parasite Eve
Alundra
Legend of Mana
Front Mission 3
Grandia
Xenogears

Why is Vagrant Story missing from this list :colbert:

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Krad posted:

OK OK! Consider it done :)

What else you got? I got me some sweet, sweet PSN credit to burn over here.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

thorsilver posted:

Disclaimer: I don't have a PSP/PS3, so I have no idea if all these games are available on PSN.

Breath of Fire 3
Breath of Fire 4
Wild ARMs
Wild ARMs 2
Lunar: SSSC
Lunar: EBC

If you only pick one, pick BoF 3. It's one of my favorite RPGs on any system (desert notwithstanding).

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Krad posted:

I wish I could get into VS. Every once in a while I pick it up again, only to set it back down a few hours later. I can't get over the combat/weapon upgrade system. Just feels really tedious and I suck at the timed combos.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Arc the Lad is still on PSN, right? Get AtL I/II and then carry your party from backwater hoodlums to gods of death saving the planet.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Captain Vittles posted:

Disclaimer: I don't have a PSP/PS3, so I have no idea if all these games are available on PSN.

Breath of Fire 3
Breath of Fire 4
Wild ARMs
Wild ARMs 2

If you only pick one, pick BoF 3. It's one of my favorite RPGs on any system (desert notwithstanding).

Listen to the Captain here, he speaks true. BoF3 is one of the best JRPGs of that generation. Just get an FAQ or something when you get to the desert of death though. That area was really tedious and poorly thought out.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

thorsilver posted:

If you like action RPGs there is Threads of Fate, though I still wish they would release Musashi already.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Arc the Lad is still on PSN, right? Get AtL I/II and then carry your party from backwater hoodlums to gods of death saving the planet.

Holy poo poo, it is? I need to get some US PSN points post-haste. And your LP is entirely to blame; I've been wanting to dig out my US PS2 since it went up.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Yeah, I assume they're still there, I don't know Sony's policy on removing titles. I just know I bought both day-one because there was some kerfluffle about "if we don't get X sales of these I can't get the next game up" at the time from Victor Ireland.

I don't know if they ever got past II/Arena though. I should check later.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm not too fussed on 3. The only redeeming point about it is it's a fluff way to pass the time, but it's kind of lacking challenge or plot or much in the way of fun.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I feel that BoF4 is pretty much just superior to 3 in every way. Especially in characters, plot, and combat mechanics, which are all REALLY good in BoF4.

Only serious problem with BoF4 I have is that section of game around the 3/4 mark where nothing really happens for about 5 hours.

Edit: Which is not to say BoF3 is bad or anything, if you like the series you should definitely get it as well.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 27, 2011

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Captain Vittles posted:

Breath of Fire 3
Breath of Fire 4
Wild ARMs
Wild ARMs 2

BoF 3 came out on PSP re-release here in the UK :) Have a copy on UMD already but have yet to crack it open. BoF 4 is available as a PSone Classic too.

Lunar Silver Star Harmony (I think that's the title) was released on PSP also, and is available for download... thanks for the reminder!

Spuzzz posted:

If you like action RPGs there is Threads of Fate, though I still wish they would release Musashi already.

Threads of Fate, I did spot that one. What's it play like?

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Yep, all 3 of them are still up! Is 3 terrible, why didn't you include that one?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

thorsilver posted:

Is 3 terrible, why didn't you include that one?

It's not terrible so much as it's so inoffensively bland that there's basically no substance to it. Someone decided that AtL2 had too much plot in it and was too hard, so they shortened the non-random-missions part of the game to maybe two hours long, put in more grinding, then removed any challenge from the battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

thorsilver posted:

BoF 3 came out on PSP re-release here in the UK :) Have a copy on UMD already but have yet to crack it open. BoF 4 is available as a PSone Classic too.

Lunar Silver Star Harmony (I think that's the title) was released on PSP also, and is available for download... thanks for the reminder!

Threads of Fate, I did spot that one. What's it play like?

Yep, all 3 of them are still up! Is 3 terrible, why didn't you include that one?

3 is bland and very easy. Not a whole lot happens and by the time it does you don't really know what any of it had to do with anything. Not exactly bad, just not good. The ps2 games, on the other hand, are loving terrible.