Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadalator
Oct 22, 2005

I hate her so much. Vince could've married some young hot gold digger, bought her everything she ever wanted, and still saved tens of millions of dollars. Instead he married an old dumb zombie woman who kicked JR in the nuts. What a bitch

WASDF posted:

I stumbled upon this and the idea was all too interesting to skip. Zelda Post-Rock.

My favorites are Epona's Song and the later part of Kakariko Village. Definitely worth a listen.

Here is the link.
http://coryjohnson.bandcamp.com/album/legend-of-zelda-demos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
The ~*uN-nAmEd BaNd*~

I like it.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Oh sorry, I linked the image with a link to the image. I'll fix it.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

ICA posted:

The ~*uN-nAmEd BaNd*~

I like it.

It's only one dude I think, his name is Cory Johnson.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Cool, liked the track, I'll check out more, thanks.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

No Gerudo Valley? drat.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

No Gerudo Valley? drat.

That's probably my favourite song from the Zelda series but I struggle to think about how that could be made into something "post-rock".

That said, Epona's song? Really?

edit: Now I've actually started listening to it, I would never have thought Fairy's Fountain could be made to sound like GYBE but goddamn, he's actually done it.

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Sep 2, 2011

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com

WASDF posted:

I stumbled upon this and the idea was all too interesting to skip. Zelda Post-Rock.

My favorites are Epona's Song and the later part of Kakariko Village. Definitely worth a listen.

This is so weird and awesome at the same time.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

WASDF posted:

I grabbed this and listened during lunch. I was pretty happy with it. The tiny little nods to the original Zelda theme and hearing tracks I'd never heard before were really awesome. I hope this gets some nice attention

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Apparently it got ~1600 listens in 5 hours and I tweeted it to Anthony Fantano and he said he'd check it out.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
Don't remember seeing anything in this thread about This Lonely Crowd from Brazil. They've got a great mid-90's hard alternative sound, and the music itself ranges from your bog-standard mellow post-rock to what it might sound like if Helmet, Smashing Pumpkins and Catherine Wheel got together on their day off. Not a huge fan of the vocals, but they're generally pretty sparse, and occasionally well used.

Couple good'uns:
Different Ways To Finish A Song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_0d41VEOCc
Laura's coming - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8iSgkoy6r4

My personal favorite is "Waiting so long for today and now today is gone", the mid-section of which wouldn't sound out of place on any early Helmet album. I can't find it anywhere on Youtube, but it is available for free download (along with most of the rest of their stuff) here: http://www.last.fm/music/This+Lonely+Crowd/+tracks

EDIT: They totally sound like Hum sometimes too, and Hum loving owns

snortpocket fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 4, 2011

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
So UpcDownC posted a video for "Sons of the Desert" which is a song from their upcoming album called Calaveras.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X8U8qd2Ofg

I really enjoyed ...And the Battle is Won and Embers but didn't care for Firewolf at all. I thought this track was okay, mainly up until the heavy part. Not that the heavy part was bad by any means but it feels like I've heard it many times before. Then again, I guess that's a pretty common thing for a genre like post-rock. Still, if the new album ends up being less like Firewolf and more like their other releases, then I will be happy.

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
New Mogwai kind of reminds me of some of the tamer stuff by Worlds End Girlfriend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9xZ1xiMBjY

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Caspian are playing at The Black Cat in DC on Friday, if there's any DC guys here; they have four dates this fall, and for some reason, they chose DC, so I'm not complaining.

Though I am complaining that they're the first opener for a three band show :(

Dirp
May 16, 2007
Just got back from seeing Explosions in the Sky.

They were loving amazing and I rocked so hard.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dirp posted:

I'm seeing them next Wednesday night for the first time! I'm pretty excited :D

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I saw them at Bonnaroo and it was easily the loudest show I saw there, I can't wait to see them in Tipitina's.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.

Dirp posted:

Take Care is one of my favourite ever albums but I checked their dates and like every band in the UK, they have a bunch of shows together in the north, then the south-east, and nowhere in the middle. The closest show to me is 130 miles or a 10 hr (?) return train journey.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Here is that show

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

The Caspian show was amazing, even if they did only play five songs. They made posters especially for their two-date mini-tour of DC and Philly, and I got all the members except the drummer to sign it. Once I get this baby framed, I'll take some pics :)

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
I would like to mention, probably far too late, that I listened to that sleepmakeswaves album. It is indeed loving rad.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bucket Joneses posted:

Here is that show

:aaa:

gently caress, I'm really excited to see them now. This set is absolutely incredible from what I've heard so far.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Mogwai
It is with the utmost regret that for medical reasons we have to postpone our American shows this week and cancel the I'll Be Your Mirror performance. We will announce new dates as soon as possible and apologise for the last minute nature of this announcement.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
I can't remember whose band it was, but Aiua is the pick of the week for the waffles/what.cd #post-rock IRC channel :)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Nuclear Spoon posted:

I can't remember whose band it was, but Aiua is the pick of the week for the waffles/what.cd #post-rock IRC channel :)

Mine :aaa:

That's awesome! Is that a goon channel or something? And do a lot of people use it? I'm not too familiar with IRC, but that rules. We love any exposure we can get! :D

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Mine :aaa:

That's awesome! Is that a goon channel or something? And do a lot of people use it? I'm not too familiar with IRC, but that rules. We love any exposure we can get! :D

Waffles and what.cd are offshoots of OiNK, a private music tracker. It's not goon run. I'm not entirely sure what I've said here is within the rules of SA but I'm not linking anything so I guess that's okay? You've had 48 downloads on what.cd, and 19 times on waffles.

As of now, there are 34 people in the #post-rock channel. (Not discounting bots and stuff). Not the largest, but your name's out.

It's #post-rock on irc.p2p-network.net if you or anyone else wants to pop in.

Oh, you're on Spotify, too! http://open.spotify.com/album/2hV2y5OESP6L9DGSG5KpbB

I strongly recommend popping a link on http://www.reddit.com/r/postrock as well :)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Goddamn, that's excellent news! :) I'll have to let the other guys know.

And yeah, I'll definitely put it on Reddit too! My lead guitarist is always on Reddit, so I'm sure he'd be happy to see it getting listens through there.

edit: Reddit link! http://www.reddit.com/r/postrock/comments/krcjd/aiua_aiua_my_bands_selftitled_debut_album/

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 26, 2011

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
In other news: http://morehopeforjapan.com/

The first one was excellent and introduced me to a few bands which are ace.

This one even has ASIWYFA on it!

Fyuz
Dec 15, 2004

Lord of Sword posted:

Take Care is one of my favourite ever albums but I checked their dates and like every band in the UK, they have a bunch of shows together in the north, then the south-east, and nowhere in the middle. The closest show to me is 130 miles or a 10 hr (?) return train journey.

If it's any consolation, it is through this post that I have discovered EITS are playing the Sage and its only £19.50 a ticket. So, erm, thanks!

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I bought Mogwai's Earth Division EP this week and have been really liking it. I kind of wish their albums had a little bit more of what's on this EP in them. I especially liked Hound of Winter, it's very pretty. If you haven't checked it out, and you're a Mogwai fan (even if you're not, I'm really not a fan), you should check this out. It's $5 and is around 16 minutes of music.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It's very different than just about everything they've done in years.

Very good, but for that 16 minutes or so, you feel confused and don't feel like you're listening to new Mogwai. At least, that's how I and some of my friends have felt when listening to it.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I could see that. I've always been frustrated with Mogwai because I never thought their songs moved past that "really cool sounding part" but this EP has made me reconsider giving their music another listen.

The length of Earth Division is a little, weird. It's much too short and I think the last song is a bit too long. Other than that though, I think it's pretty great.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It went by super quickly for me when I listened to it the first time. It's ~16 minutes long, but it felt like I started listening to it, then a minute later it was over with. It's like some surreal time vortex or something.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Do you guys have any suggestions for any albums that make good nap time music? I've never listened to any post-rock before except for an Explosions in the Sky album (I forget which one) and when I listened to it it was perfect background music while I took a nap.
I hope nobody takes offense to this, haha. I just want different music to play while I nap besides chillwave and other electronic genres.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Six Parts Seven - Casually Smashed to Pieces is a pretty good post-rock album for napping, never gets so loud that it'll wake you up. I've fallen asleep to Godspeed You! Black Emperor a few times, especially that Rockets Fall song, but they tend to rather suddenly wake me up. I'd also recommend Do Make Say Think's self-title, it's pretty spacy and jammy without ever getting too intense.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

going at it alphabetically:

A Dancing Beggar, Album Leaf, Alfheimr, Arms and Sleepers, Balmorhea, Deaf Center, Do Make Say Think, Ef, Eluvium, Helios, Ilya, Ioch, James Blackshaw, Johann Johannson, Man an Ocean, Olafur Arnalds, Pan American / Labradford, Saxon Shore, Shapes Stars Make, Sigur Rós, Sleep Dealer, Stars of the Lid, Tracer AMC.

A Dancing Beggar, Helios and Pan American would be my first choice - their music is mostly ambient, mainly electronica (and practically every album you pick). Stars of the Lid are technically drone, but they make me sleepy as well, so I added them to the list. The rest produced some energetic, as well as calm stuff (as such, good example is Sigur Rós and difference between "A good beginning" and "With a Buzz in Our Ears We Play Endlessly")

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Hooplah posted:

Yes, this. Totally was thinking about posting them here after seeing your post in that thread. Instead, I'll mention Lis Er Stille. They're Danish (found them trying to find a single band that sounds even remotely like Mew), and they sound like if Muse did a post rock album cribbing off Crippled Black Phoenix, specifically the album 200 Tons of Bad Luck. There's also a few hints of Mew, if you were wondering :)

Have a listen, they rock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co5wWY8RSNk

Thanks for this! Checked out The Collibro and loved it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

eithedog posted:

going at it alphabetically:

A Dancing Beggar, Album Leaf, Alfheimr, Arms and Sleepers, Balmorhea, Deaf Center, Do Make Say Think, Ef, Eluvium, Helios, Ilya, Ioch, James Blackshaw, Johann Johannson, Man an Ocean, Olafur Arnalds, Pan American / Labradford, Saxon Shore, Shapes Stars Make, Sigur Rós, Sleep Dealer, Stars of the Lid, Tracer AMC.

A Dancing Beggar, Helios and Pan American would be my first choice - their music is mostly ambient, mainly electronica (and practically every album you pick). Stars of the Lid are technically drone, but they make me sleepy as well, so I added them to the list. The rest produced some energetic, as well as calm stuff (as such, good example is Sigur Rós and difference between "A good beginning" and "With a Buzz in Our Ears We Play Endlessly")

Well a lot of these are ones I was going to mention, but I'll also throw in Ben Woods. He plays ambient stuff, mostly on piano and acoustic guitar, sort of like Eluvium and Helios. All his releases are free to download here: http://a-fragile-hope.blogspot.com/2011/08/ben-woods.html

It's not the official site, but I'm not quite sure where that one went. I couldn't find it through a bit of Googling. But on the official site, he also had them up for free download, so it's not :filez: or anything.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw Explosions in the Sky live tonight for the first time. They played Greet Death. Wasn't expecting that one at all. Needless to say I was blown away.

They don't have the greatest on-stage presence (Mono, Caspian), but it's better than some other bands I've seen (Pelican). And they didn't play an encore, but apparently they never play encores and they played like 4 of my favorites of theirs back to back, so I can't really fault them.

I got videos of all 4 (Birth And Death Of The Day, Your Hand In Mine, Greet Death, Let Me Back In) that I'm uploading to YouTube now. I'll post them in here later if anyone wants to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I got married a few weeks ago and my wife walked in to Time Stops by EiTS and then we both left to Remember me as a time of day.

It was nice :)