Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Boxing Snatcher posted:

I am still really digging RRR. In my mind it cannot get enough praise right now.

RRR is so good!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

KidDynamite posted:

RRR is so good!!

I like it, it's kinda realistic even if it is also not very realistic at all. I just wish more chapters would be subbed.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's worth noting that Saizen is up to ep 28 of Ashita no Joe, the OG of boxing manga/anime, if that is a thing that turns your crank. It's good but slow as crap, which is compounded by their positively glacial release schedule.

We were watching the first 12 eps in tandem with the recent HnI series as it aired, if that gives you an idea of how long it has taken them to do the following 16 eps.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Chapter 948

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Oh god not again.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Hasn't he basically written this exact same chapter before?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

frabba posted:

Oh god not again.

Mr. Deathy posted:

Hasn't he basically written this exact same chapter before?

Guys with sonic avatars in a thread about a manga that was once good, but is now always bad despite what hopes we might get up?

:raise:

A STRANGE COINCIDENCE

no seriously Ippo is bad now nobody be surprised ever again.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Hajime no Ippo: The trio's weakness? A new chapter

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

DamnGlitch posted:

Guys with sonic avatars in a thread about a manga that was once good, but is now always bad despite what hopes we might get up?

:raise:

A STRANGE COINCIDENCE

no seriously Ippo is bad now nobody be surprised ever again.

I've had this avatar for 8 years. :v:

Also, I'm not surprised by anything and I dont give a poo poo that Ippo is "bad" now, I've felt like it's been at roughly the same kind of level since, I dunno...Scratch J?

I just find it funny though because I think Ippo's been shocked about Kimura and Aoki considering retirement in pretty much exactly the same way before. Not just observing that Mori is rehashing ideas so much as pretty much rehashing the entire execution of the idea as well and ignoring that it happened before.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They sort of have to retire eventually.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Not if the manga goes on for so long that they start dying of old age. In the ring.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Chapter 949

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

For some strange reason, I kinda liked that chapter. It was silly and even though I should have seen some of it coming it still caught me by surprise.

Boxing Snatcher
Jul 4, 2011

I have been looking for some great Beef Jerky since my local convenience store changed owners.
It was a pretty good one. Pretty funny but it actually got somewhere, even if Ippo is going to be a chicken poo poo about it. Those faces Aoki made killed me though.

surgical scar
Nov 8, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
kamogawa gym somehow has both a world and national champion, but the coaches are so lovely that they don't even notice that one of their fighters keeps closing his eyes in the ring.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Well, his primary trainer never opens his eyes, so he probably thinks that's normal.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Takamura still the best part of this manga: news at 11.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Honestly, I'm more surprised that they turned off Itagaki's god-mode for a while, even if it was off-screen and just for a sparring match.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Honestly, I'm more surprised that they turned off Itagaki's god-mode for a while, even if it was off-screen and just for a sparring match.

That's just a real lovely way to build tension. "Oh, no! Itagaki is not invincible, he lost in a sparring match!". Well, as soon as he is in match that counts his superpowers will be back.

But this chapter was good.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
New Chapter.

I wholly support changing this into a gag manga.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Has Ippo fought the Philippines champion yet because his gimmick could be that he maybe used steroids :downs:

igotbored
Mar 29, 2010

Jose posted:

Has Ippo fought the Philippines champion yet because his gimmick could be that he maybe used steroids :downs:

Wasn't he the guy with the ~magic boxing gloves~

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Oh yeah I thought he was indonesian but that was monkey boy

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Fabricated posted:

New Chapter.

I wholly support changing this into a gag manga.

Ippo is at its best when when the comedy doesn't take itself seriously. Its at its worst when the fights aren't taken seriously.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Ippo is at its best when when the comedy doesn't take itself seriously. Its at its worst when the fights aren't taken seriously.

No, it is at its worst when fights that shouldn't be taken seriously are played completely straight. Even the Woli fight wasn't intended to be funny.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Let's face it, there are a lot of times when Ippo is at its worst. Another example is when it gets too bogged down in the opponents' backstory.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

http://www.mangareader.net/rrr/25

New RRR chapter. Can we turn this into a general boxing manga thread? RRR is both finished, has a regular release schedule and is nice to read.

Its funny, at first I thought the idea of someone becoming a boxer at 27 is a totally ridiculous idea and I mean, him becoming "The Best Ever" is, but its probably not all that unreasonable anymore. I mean poo poo, Floyd Mayweather is 34 and considered one of the best in the world and potentially ever and that would never have happened 30 years ago. So either fitness levels and sports science have improved hugely or boxing has dropped in quality massively.

Its both.

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
Floyd Mayweather Jr. was born into a family of boxers and literally has been boxing his entire life.

There are a few old geezer boxers in history (Archie Moore/Sugar Ray Robinson/George Foreman come to mind) but there's definitely an advantage in both medical advancements and softened schedule for boxing's stars in modern times.

Sergio Martinez is a good example of a great boxer who had a late start in boxing. He took up the gloves at around age 24-25, and his athletic ability honed through soccer/football carried over.

Only Heavyweight boxing has truly suffered in quality, as there are quite a few phenoms throughout the divisions below running around.

Leonard Leroy fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 27, 2011

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm aware of everything wrong with boxing at the minute. Its widely documented. Just saying it makes RRR that little bit more believable.

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
That's a harsh response.

But I started reading RRR, and I'm into the first chapter so far. Good style.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

If you like boxing, and think ippo is a load of poo poo (all of you) you should check out this years live action Ashita no Joe. It was pretty loving good. Not amazing, it's still live action japanese, but it had an arc and ended, which is more than your can say of ippo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Is the original manga available anywhere? I'd love to get into it. I started watching the anime years ago but the people involved stopped after like 3 episodes. Its probably the only anime I'd bother to watch again if its finished.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

They've actually picked up the pace on the Joe subs. Saizen teamed up with Hokuto no Gun and they're on episode 28 now.

http://www.saizen-fansubs.com/

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Finally started to read RRR. Also finished what is out of RRR. This is the best single-dad punchsport manga ever.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
In RRR there is pretty much no chance of Ricky becoming a world champ or anything like that. A moderately successful boxing career is pretty much shooting for the stars in his situation.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Its a manga. He'll become world champ

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Jose posted:

So is ippo. :colbert:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

RRR is actually finished though, its just on a weekly scan release schedule

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008

Jose posted:

You sure didn't read Ashita no Joe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

No I didn't, but thats because I can't find it anywhere to read it. Its also a very different series from what I know. I mean, the whole point of RRR is a guy joins a gym to get fit, happens to have a previous world champ who sees something special in him even if they are the same age. Of course he's going to become world champ