Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Noooooooo I missed out on shooting Darcy in the dick because my dog walked in and wanted cuddles when Mina was asking me to do her that favor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The White Dragon posted:

Noooooooo I missed out on shooting Darcy in the dick because my dog walked in and wanted cuddles when Mina was asking me to do her that favor

It is a fair tradeoff :3:

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

StealthArcher posted:

Bought with intentions of enjoying the wonderful campyness.

Can't loving play the lag is so bad even with the fixes, patch and low everything.

Welp, good thing only 2 bux wasted.

Turn off Motion Blur

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I have encountered a possibly game breaking bug.

On the Russian hub mission where I infiltrate the trainyard there is a bit where I hack a computer to send details somewhere. After the details are sent enemies spawn and open two garage doors and try and kill me. Well they were highly successful in killing me and when I reloaded I encountered the lovely recurring bug of enemies disappearing. Unfortunatly I needed them to open the two garage doors which are now closed trapping me in the small room. Because of the nature of the savegames I can't reload, as the auto-save is inside the room. Any help? :(

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Crappy Jack posted:

Totally an Archer run right here.

Too bad there's no Archer throw their clothes off the balcony Aggressive choice.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

fuckpot posted:

I have encountered a possibly game breaking bug.

On the Russian hub mission where I infiltrate the trainyard there is a bit where I hack a computer to send details somewhere. After the details are sent enemies spawn and open two garage doors and try and kill me. Well they were highly successful in killing me and when I reloaded I encountered the lovely recurring bug of enemies disappearing. Unfortunatly I needed them to open the two garage doors which are now closed trapping me in the small room. Because of the nature of the savegames I can't reload, as the auto-save is inside the room. Any help? :(

First, don't use the quick load button, it's messed up as you saw. Use the manual reload screen.

Second, there should be an autosave at your last safehouse if that doesn't work.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

Out of curiosity, would you be interested in returning to Obsidian to work on a new project with them or would you not want to go back?

Can I answer "both"?

Obsidian is one of the few companies that makes the kind of games I want to make. On the other hand, the external reasons it didn't work out for me there are still (mostly) there. Additionally, as much as I love southern California I'd like to try getting a job abroad. I hear terrible things about working for CCP but I wouldn't mind a few years in Iceland. Also Montreal sounds basically incredible even though I'd need to learn French.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Crappy Jack posted:

Just saw that today is Chris Avellone's birthday. So buy every copy of AP out there right now. Do it for him.

Tomorrow

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

StealthArcher posted:

Don't know, I will admit that it is a laptop and 3.5 years old, but christ I can the Witcher 2 with Ubersampling better than this.

This is either bullshit or something is deeply deeply wrong.

AP uses UE3, same as mass effect and gears of war. It's not that advanced.

Witcher 2 ubersampling destroys *god's* laptop.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

RBA Starblade posted:

I was wearing stealth gear. I know I have a sound stat, but I thought "silent running" when activated muffled all of it. Does aiming your gun or doing anything in cover make noise?

"Silent running" has a misleading name. Non-crouched movement is "running" and the hold-the-button-down-to-go-faster type is "sprinting". The latter breaks silent running, but the former is ok. Even if you only tap sprint for a second, it cancels the silent running effect completely.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
The clear solution is to spend another $6 and play Alpha Protocol via Onlive.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

seorin posted:

"Silent running" has a misleading name. Non-crouched movement is "running" and the hold-the-button-down-to-go-faster type is "sprinting". The latter breaks silent running, but the former is ok. Even if you only tap sprint for a second, it cancels the silent running effect completely.

really? I could swear I've used Silent Running to sprint all around a room and stab like 4 dudes in the neck before.

ed:\/\/\/I've only got the first level of it, I only bought Stealth up to Passive Awareness. I could just be totally wrong or somehow was fast enough to stab all those dudes before they could react

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 27, 2011

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
I can't check right now, but I think at its absolute max level it lets you sprint.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

The Dark One posted:

The clear solution is to spend another $6 and play Alpha Protocol via Onlive.

your avatar makes me melancholy

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

This is either bullshit or something is deeply deeply wrong.

AP uses UE3, same as mass effect and gears of war. It's not that advanced.

Witcher 2 ubersampling destroys *god's* laptop.

Given I already knew this, I'm gonna roll with horribly, horribly wrong.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

GloomMouse posted:

Turn off Motion Blur

Jesus Christ how the gently caress did that.

I just went from a jittery bugged shitfest running anywhere between 5-15 FPS with lag and mouse jumping out the rear end to a smooth 90 FPS with no lag.

I still have the problems with the mouse constantly jumping ahead of my movements, but drat, this is at least loving playable.

Goddamn Sega, worst MB shader coding ever.

EDIT: Sometimes I'm too used to Facepunch and the benevolent automerge.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

404notfound posted:

Wait, what? I'm pretty sure the game uses UE3, which is significantly more taxing (and better looking) than UE2, which UT2k4 utilized.

drat :(: That just makes me sort of depressed on while the graphics are okay, they seem a little short on other games that have used UE3 like arkham asylum or borderlands (although that might be stretching a little) that were in the same period of time.

E:oh yeah, mass effect.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

StealthArcher posted:

Given I already knew this, I'm gonna roll with horribly, horribly wrong.

Yeah, so am I. I'm not accusing you of lying, sorry if it sounded like that. I don't have any idea what it could be, though. edit: glad youf igured it out. Motion blur fucks with my machine too. It's usually the first thing I turn off.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Delacroix posted:

drat :(: That just makes me sort of depressed on while the graphics are okay, they seem a little short on other games that have used UE3 like arkham asylum or borderlands (although that might be stretching a little) that were in the same period of time.

E:oh yeah, mass effect.

I am not an expert on renderers and all that other stuff, it's way way above my head. But if I could offer a guess, it would be that AP was in development for much much longer than most people realize, and also actually *finished* a year before it was released. So it's actually an older game than it seems.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Picked this up 2 days ago despite not having the $2 it cost me. I guess I'm not eating one of my meals this month? :v:

I'm finding this game does not want to perform well. Mouse movement feels REALLY inconsistent(sometimes it moves super fast, sometimes agonizingly slow), and it seems to just decide sometimes to take a crap in terms of FPS. Might some of this be because I'm playing windowed?

Also, right now it mostly looks like rear end, despite being on maxed settings. I'm forcing myself to get over it, but going through the original Deus Ex at the same time plus this is sapping my usual whorishness.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

quaunaut posted:

Picked this up 2 days ago despite not having the $2 it cost me. I guess I'm not eating one of my meals this month? :v:

I'm finding this game does not want to perform well. Mouse movement feels REALLY inconsistent(sometimes it moves super fast, sometimes agonizingly slow), and it seems to just decide sometimes to take a crap in terms of FPS. Might some of this be because I'm playing windowed?

Also, right now it mostly looks like rear end, despite being on maxed settings. I'm forcing myself to get over it, but going through the original Deus Ex at the same time plus this is sapping my usual whorishness.

If you have an x-box controller then I'd recommend you switch to that. It cleared a lot of control and smoothness issues that I had the first time I played the game. Also check the OP for .ini tweaks and turn off motion blur as suggested earlier on this page.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Just finished this game last night.

Holy poo poo, what an amazing game. I was originally unable to play it because of mouse issues, but got it running on my laptop and... yeah. This is the best game that's come out in years and simply blows DXHR out the water with its believable characters, conversation system and the consequenses of your actions and choices. In other games, choices typically just mean getting a few points in something or another. In AP the whole game is shaped by your choices.

There needs to be more games like this. Already planning another playthrough to see some of the things I missed.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

The Quake posted:

So after about an hour of trying to get surround sound to work in this game (and failing miserably) I think I rather just not play it a second time.

I can't even remember if surround sound worked the first time I played it.
Surround sound does not work in this game.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Wiz posted:

Just finished this game last night.

Holy poo poo, what an amazing game. I was originally unable to play it because of mouse issues, but got it running on my laptop and... yeah. This is the best game that's come out in years and simply blows DXHR out the water with its believable characters, conversation system and the consequenses of your actions and choices. In other games, choices typically just mean getting a few points in something or another. In AP the whole game is shaped by your choices.

There needs to be more games like this. Already planning another playthrough to see some of the things I missed.

This is a just a suggestion, but it's probably worthwhile to go in the absolute complete opposite of whatever you did the first time around. It seems everyone plays in character and goes bourne or archer, stealthy spy agent, which is exactly why they need to go shotgun rear end in a top hat who makes people spill their wodka.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Delacroix posted:

This is a just a suggestion, but it's probably worthwhile to go in the absolute complete opposite of whatever you did the first time around. It seems everyone plays in character and goes bourne or archer, stealthy spy agent, which is exactly why they need to go shotgun rear end in a top hat who makes people spill their wodka.

Archer is a shotgun rear end in a top hat though?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Delacroix posted:

I played the professional dude who tried to be stealthy but kept an assault rifle handy in case someone spotted me. Sort of a 'get the job done' guy, so for instance (Rome spoiler) I let Maddison die and (Endgame spoiler) executed Scarlet after finding out her real job. On the other hand I never killed anyone unless I felt it necessary, meaning I always used nonlethal takedowns and let most of the bosses live.

Next time (Rome spoiler), I am so doing what's required to kill Marburg. gently caress that guy.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Hah, there's some real headstratcher decisions made in this game. In one of the levels I just finished there's no checkpoint for 2/3 mission objectives. I literally had to start from the beginning each failiure. And then within the span of a minute there's 3 checkpoints for going up a ladder, going down a ladder, and walking 5 feet into a room.

Still loving it though!

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Covered in blood and without any clothes. Where is my mother?

Wiz posted:

Next time (Rome spoiler), I am so doing what's required to kill Marburg. gently caress that guy.

Oh that slimy motherfucker I knew there must be a way to kill him! :arghfist:

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

vulgey posted:

Oh that slimy motherfucker I knew there must be a way to kill him! :arghfist:

There is, and it's easily one of the most satisfying things to do in the game. loving Winnie the Pooh, why are you so slimy?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

seorin posted:

That must have been it then, thanks.

On the plus side, I'm really enjoying the dialogue options and interactions. It's funny how awkward suave ends up being.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

seorin posted:

I didn't know about the sprint button until I fought Marburg at the end of Rome, which was the final pre-endgame mission I had to do...

It probably would have made getting away from Brayko's coke rage significantly easier...

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

ChuckDHead posted:

I didn't know about the sprint button until I fought Marburg at the end of Rome, which was the final pre-endgame mission I had to do...

It probably would have made getting away from Brayko's coke rage significantly easier...

I actually found that sprinting made the latter situation more difficult because of the added turning radius. Eventually just ran in tightly controlled circles at normal speed.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

...It's funny how awkward suave ends up being.

Yeah I hope if they ever do make a part two that they actually have suave responses. They may as well have named it "Jerk" response because the suave hardly every comes off as James Bond like I assumed suave would be.

And just like everyone else, I want these guys to make an Archer game.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Wiz posted:

I actually found that sprinting made the latter situation more difficult because of the added turning radius. Eventually just ran in tightly controlled circles at normal speed.

Honestly, if you jump up and down between the ground floor and stage, it's fairly easy to wait out the shank rage.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

Exercu posted:

There is, and it's easily one of the most satisfying things to do in the game. loving Winnie the Pooh, why are you so slimy?

Yes. It was how I finished Rome on my first run.

"I will END YOU Thorton!"

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Delacroix posted:

Honestly, if you jump up and down between the ground floor and stage, it's fairly easy to wait out the shank rage.

In general, gently caress that fight. Took me like 20 attempts to finally get him, but putting a bullet in his head was IMMENSELY satisfying after that.

Plus, I got a sweet jacket out of it!

A Bakery Crime
Sep 2, 2006
D-O-W-N, and that's the way we get down!

Can I answer "both"?

Obsidian is one of the few companies that makes the kind of games I want to make. On the other hand, the external reasons it didn't work out for me there are still (mostly) there. Additionally, as much as I love southern California I'd like to try getting a job abroad. I hear terrible things about working for CCP but I wouldn't mind a few years in Iceland. Also Montreal sounds basically incredible even though I'd need to learn French.

This is late, but knowing French isn't even close to a requirement to living in Montreal. Ottawa is more francophone than Montreal.

Edit: That's just anecdotal from people I know that attended McGill/work there, I only visit occasionally and my conversational French has been more than enough. Different employers may have different requirements.

Another Edit: I imagine a certain Montreal studio would be looking to expand after the success of Deus Ex, follow your dreams, man!

A Bakery Crime fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 27, 2011

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

your avatar makes me melancholy

It had a happy ending: http://twitter.com/#!/danharmon/status/14424838001135617

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

I just bought this game during the steam sale, and it's been an absolute blast. I just wish that this Russian rear end in a top hat would hurry up and loving die :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Some people at work here (game studio in Montreal) are anglophones, it helps if you speak french but it's a bilingual workplace in many companies from what I know.

• Locked thread