Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

So I've got a bionic and I've got the extended life battery and the battery life still seems to suck balls. I DOA'd the old extended battery for this reason and it's still happening. I'm starting to think it's the phone. I've noticed that there's data constantly being transmitted. The UP/DOWN arrow's underneath the 4G symbol are always lit up. When I view what's eating up my battery, all I see is Cell phone Idle and Cell Standby which makes up about 85% of the battery power consumed. WTF?

I wanna see if anyone here has any suggestions before I hard reset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Motorola Spyder/Droid Razr is beautiful.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Phone idle and cell standby will almost always be the top two stats on Moto's battery tracking.

What's your awake time look like? I'm just wondering if something is holding a wake lock, preventing the phone from sleeping. Are you having any data disconnect issues?

Try a hard reset, but I suspect that maybe you have a bum unit.

Just last weekend I went 26 hours off charge, with LTE fully running the whole time, and was only down to 40% power, that's with the standard battery. So, the phone is certainly capable of really nice battery life if something else isn't messed up.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

Phone idle and cell standby will almost always be the top two stats on Moto's battery tracking.

What's your awake time look like? I'm just wondering if something is holding a wake lock, preventing the phone from sleeping. Are you having any data disconnect issues?

Try a hard reset, but I suspect that maybe you have a bum unit.

Just last weekend I went 26 hours off charge, with LTE fully running the whole time, and was only down to 40% power, that's with the standard battery. So, the phone is certainly capable of really nice battery life if something else isn't messed up.

What was your screen on time for that? Seems like you would only get that kind of battery life with a great LTE signal and light usage.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What was your screen on time for that? Seems like you would only get that kind of battery life with a great LTE signal and light usage.

I never actually checked it. I was just using my phone as I normally use it when I'm home on the weekend and occupied with other things. I would read emails when they came in, did the occasional facebook/G+ check etc. It was light usage, but I also didn't make any conscious effort to preserve life by disabling syncing/data or by putting it on wifi.

And yes, I do have excellent LTE signal at home. I usually pull down around 23Mbps there.

On 3G, it looks like the phone would last a stupid long time with that type of usage. I would estimate 60 hours easily with the standard battery.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I can see them not wanting to call it the Tunderbolt 2 because the Thunderbolt 1 is only about 6 months old.

Incredible HD would have been a good name though.

HTC Vigor would have been great. You could call it the HTC V'ger and it would rule.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

bull3964 posted:

On 3G, it looks like the phone would last a stupid long time with that type of usage. I would estimate 60 hours easily with the standard battery.

I'm in a 3g only area and if I'm not using my phone a ton it will easily last a couple days.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

I figured it out as being the Groupon app.

loving REALLY? Groupon? I uninstalled it and haven't seen my phone stuck in a data connection since.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kstatix posted:

I figured it out as being the Groupon app.

loving REALLY? Groupon? I uninstalled it and haven't seen my phone stuck in a data connection since.

Well, at least you were able to figure out what was causing it quickly and it wasn't the phone itself.

On another note, remember when I mentioned that I think Verizon would probably downplay the next iPhone because it won't be LTE? Well, they've gone so far as to go to bat for Samsung asking the courts to prevent an injunction on sales. One of the reasons given? Verizon feels that Apple being able to block Samsung from the market (and likely paving the way for them to block other Android handset manufacturers) would be a serious blow to their LTE deployment since apple moves slower on technology.

quote:

"would hinder Verizon Wireless in developing and deploying its next generation high-speed LTE [fourth-generation] network, the job growth dependant [sic] on that network, and will undercut key public policy goals, including expansion of American's [sic] access to broadband networks and faster communication with emergency personnel."

http://fosspatents.blogspot.com/2011/09/largest-us-wireless-carrier-verizon.html

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

kstatix posted:

So I've got a bionic and I've got the extended life battery and the battery life still seems to suck balls. I DOA'd the old extended battery for this reason and it's still happening. I'm starting to think it's the phone. I've noticed that there's data constantly being transmitted. The UP/DOWN arrow's underneath the 4G symbol are always lit up. When I view what's eating up my battery, all I see is Cell phone Idle and Cell Standby which makes up about 85% of the battery power consumed. WTF?

I wanna see if anyone here has any suggestions before I hard reset.

Well I set up auto-end tasks using the built-in Task Manager as soon as I got the phone. I just don't need apps like Facebook, Twitter, and other stuff to just stay open all day. This is debatable I guess but it seems to have helped my battery life immensely.

So here are my current phone stats after some pretty heavy use today:
(screen is on full brightness)
Cell Standby: 40%
Phone idle: 27%
com.motorola.contacts.data(no idea what this is): 15%
Wi-Fi: 7% (A lot of the usage was on 4G :))
Voice Calls: 6%
Android OS: 3%
Display: 2%

And I have Trillian constantly polling to check for new messages since I'm a huge nerd and still use AIM. Same goes for Skype. I think I could safely say I was texting/messaging for a good hour or so today.

Battery is at 20% as of this writing and my phone has been on battery for 18h 58m. I can see the 26hours thing being possible if I rarely turned my display on again and if I turned my wifi antenna off.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
Two questions, that should probably go in other threads, but gently caress it, I don't care because they're huge:

Anyone know of an app that will auto-reboot your phone at a certain time?

What's currently the best/most stable ROM for Thunderbolt?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Panthrax posted:

Anyone know of an app that will auto-reboot your phone at a certain time?

Tasker can do this.

Panthrax posted:

CyanogenMod is out and is being actively developed for the TB. I installed Synergy on a friend's TB after upgrading to the newest Kernals/Radios and he's been pretty happy with the stability and quality.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Panthrax posted:

Depends what you're looking for (AOSP vs Sense).

There're a few AOSP ROMs out there, mainly CM7, and OMFGB. Both have issue with network location and GPS (you can read more about this on RootzWiki). This is mainly due to issues with the RIL.

Sense-wise, I think the best ROM would be Team BAMF's BAMF Forever 1.0.6. I have been running this for a couple of weeks now, and it's solid as a rock. I'm not even a big fan of Sense (huge CM7 fan) and I use it just because it works like it should.

With that being said, though, once RIL is fixed/whatever for AOSP ROMs, you'll bet your rear end I'll be jumping ship to CM7.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Just got a Bionic, and wanted to chip in to say that I usually ignore spergy tech nitpicking, but the pentile screen really is hideous; it's not just :goonsay:, in my opinion. I can see a pretty blatant checkerboard pattern, and the whole thing swims unplesantly. If I hold it at most of an arms length and/or take my glasses off it looks fine, so how horrible it looks probably depends on how good your vision is and how close you usually hold it to your face. :)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you don't like the screen, return it and buy something else.

This isn't worth having discussion over anymore.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Unormal posted:

Just got a Bionic, and wanted to chip in to say that I usually ignore spergy tech nitpicking, but the pentile screen really is hideous; it's not just :goonsay:, in my opinion. I can see a pretty blatant checkerboard pattern, and the whole thing swims unplesantly. If I hold it at most of an arms length and/or take my glasses off it looks fine, so how horrible it looks probably depends on how good your vision is and how close you usually hold it to your face. :)

So return it and get something else.

E: I know I've been defensive about pentile in the past here (because I personally have no problem with it) but if the screen REALLY bothers you that much it's not worth sticking with something that makes you unhappy, especially if you can still return it and sit on your upgrade.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 27, 2011

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yeah, my Bionic goes back tomorrow because of the screen.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Unormal posted:

Just got a Bionic,
Out of curiosity, did you spend any time with it in the store?

Is there a reason you didn't notice the screen until after you purchased it?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Out of curiosity, did you spend any time with it in the store?

Is there a reason you didn't notice the screen until after you purchased it?

You guys are useless, insufferable dicks.

I'm just putting in my two cents for people who are considering purchasing one sight unseen.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > The Verizon Wireless Megathread: Useless, insufferable dicks.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Maybe he wanted us to argue about it some more?

Rabble Rabble Rabble

Love the title though. Should definitely change it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Unormal posted:

You guys are useless, insufferable dicks.

I'm just putting in my two cents for people who are considering purchasing one sight unseen.

No, you are the one being insufferable right now. The discussion about the pentile screen has been done to death, in several cycles, not just here but EVERY SINGLE GODDAMN PLACE on the internet. There's nothing else to be said.

If you don't like it, return it, it's not worth going rounds and rounds about personal opinions again.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > The Verizon Wireless Megathread: PENTILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm content with my phone, but if something with identical specs and a better screen comes out within the 3 month exchange window, I'll return it without a moment's hesitation.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Personally, as more time with the phone passes, the bar to get me to switch keeps getting raised.

720p screen just isn't enough right now. This phone has been such an excellent performer for me, not just in speed but in usability and stability, that I would have trouble swapping it for HTC or Samsung without a high degree of certainty that they can deliver the same experience.

I will certainly entertain the possibility of swapping, but it's going to have to be a mind blowing device.

All the extras I got from Costco with the phone isn't helping matters either. Hopefully said replacement phone would have a similar package of goodies or be cheaper, because it would be hard to give up all that swag.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I agree, I got the Bionic after wanting to wait longer but having the Droid die on me. I don't love the screen, but I only notice the pentile display on minute text or when its really close to my face (20/10 vision). The rest of the phone, though, vastly out performs that problem. I really do like Motorola devices I guess.

It really is a well built phone and I don't see myself switching unless something game changing comes out.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I am lazy and haven't returned my extended battery for the Bionic. If anyone wants it I will sell it for $25.00 shipped. I got it for $25 when it was on sale and it retails for $49.00. Figured I would give a fellow SAer a deal if they wanted it

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Unormal posted:

OK. I asked because folks have been asking "PenTile?" and I've been advising them to "check it out in a store to see if it's something you like, or if you could live with."

Given that you're pretty unhappy with it, I figure there might be some aspect of it that's not apparent in a store, or that folks need more time than casually looking at one to actually tell if it disturbs them. If so, I'd like to take that into account when advising folks in the future.

Sorry bro. :(

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

ExcessBLarg! posted:

OK. I asked because folks have been asking "PenTile?" and I've been advising them to "check it out in a store to see if it's something you like, or if you could live with."

Given that you're pretty unhappy with it, I figure there might be some aspect of it that's not apparent in a store, or that folks need more time than casually looking at one to actually tell if it disturbs them. If so, I'd like to take that into account when advising folks in the future.

Sorry bro. :(

That's reasonable, I'm just not much of a phone-geek, don't follow phone news/rumors, and just find it hard to distinguish on the internet between tech-nerds raging about inconsequential things they REALLY CARE ABOUT (but don't matter at all), and tech-nerds raging about totally legit issues. (Since the volume levels of both types of raging are the same)

My new-every-2 ran out on my original droid and Bionic just came out, I figured hey, everyone's 5-starring this phone on amazon and reviews, so the pentile rants are probably former-rage, not latter-rage; was wrong, so thought I'd chime in from a not-much-of-a-phone-geek perspective.

It's not gut-bustingly bad, just disappointing and noticable. I'm not planning on returning it. I upgraded from an original droid, so it's vastly snappier and a decent phone to use, I just wish the display made me go :) instead of :(. I'm in the boat of 'I'd instantly swap it for a phone with similar performance specs but a nice-looking display though.'

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What brightness level are you using it at?

I keep mine on auto brightness and unless I'm outdoors when it really cranks it, the screen door effect isn't really noticeable at all.

Also, are you using a screen protector (they seem to magnify issues)?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

What brightness level are you using it at?

I keep mine on auto brightness and unless I'm outdoors when it really cranks it, the screen door effect isn't really noticeable at all.

Also, are you using a screen protector (they seem to magnify issues)?

Nope, just naked phone. I've cranked the brightness up and down, the effect is a little better when it's cranked up to max brightness.

The big thing is that there's a very clear difference when I look at it without glasses (correcting pretty severe astigmatism, not nearsighted or farsightedness) and with. With my glasses off (thus blurring edges due to astigmatism), the effect almost totally dissappears. With my glasses on (and hard edges very defined) than it's extremely noticable. So it's pretty clearly going to be a person-by-person thing depending on the properties of your eyes. My unscientific guess is if you really don't notice it, I bet your eye doctor would tell you you've got a little bit of untreated astigmatism. :)

It seems like it's probably one of those things your brain would get used to after a few weeks and eventually tune out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Unormal posted:

I bet your eye doctor would tell you you've got a little bit of untreated astigmatism. :)

Actually, I have 20/20 vision in one eye and 19/20 in the other (better than normal.)

I am, however, severely colorblind (red deficiency).

I think it's a combination of effects. I find if I can't hold my phone still enough, I see the effect more. So maybe there's a whole hand/eye tracking element going on there too.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Actually, I have 20/20 vision in one eye and 19/20 in the other (better than normal.)

I am, however, severely colorblind (red deficiency).

I think it's a combination of effects. I find if I can't hold my phone still enough, I see the effect more. So maybe there's a whole hand/eye tracking element going on there too.

xx/yy vision is a measure of distance vision, not astigmatism. So you can be 20/20 and might still need global focus (spherical/cylidrical) correction for astigmatism (which is a focus effect independent of distance), afaik.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Unormal posted:

xx/yy vision is a measure of distance vision, not astigmatism. So you can be 20/20 and might still need spherical/cylidcrical correction for astigmatism (which is a focus effect independent of distnace), afaik.

True, but I do know for a fact that I'm astigmatism free at the moment.

I actually used to have an astigmatism when I was younger, but that's because I suffer from congenital ptosis (drooping of eyelids). They would put pressure on my eyeballs which would cause distortion and therefore astigmatism. Since my last eyelid corrective surgery though (I've had 3 in my life) there is no more pressure and no more astigmatism. These are all things about my vision that are watched pretty closely as development of astigmatism is a good sign that my eyelids are starting to droop again which would eventually lead to another surgery.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

I wonder if there's a semi-arbitrary number that could be assigned to the offensiveness of PenTile on a given device -- despite some of the posts here, it really is a pretty objective thing to measure. For example, the WVGA PenTile pattern on the Nexus One's 3.7" AMOLED screen looks much less-offensive than the WVGA PenTile on any Galaxy S's 4.0" AMOLED screen. The latter simply magnified the shittiness.

I'm typically opposed to PenTile, but I'm starting to revise that stance. Like, I'm cautiously optimistic for the 720p PenTile displays that are about to hit because 720p is just a lot of motherfucking pixels in a small space, and a 720p PenTile screen could still look pretty amazing even compared to something like a non-PenTile WVGA screen. Like, what percentage of usable screen real estate does PenTile actually cost you? Is it 25%, 33%, or something else? It "seems" like a PenTile display that supplies >33% more "resolution" than the next-best non-PenTile display should be hard to complain about. This of course accentuates the utter horribleness of the X2/Droid3/Bionic's display, since they stuck you with PenTile without even giving you AMOLED. And what's worse, 540x960 non-PenTile 4.3" displays aren't even hard to come by.

The PenTile kerfuffle started when the Nexus One dropped, and it was super lovely that Google was advertising "first-ever 480x800 screen" because the usable resolution was definitely below that. But compared to its competition which was a non-PenTile iPhone 3GS with a 320x480 TFT LCD, a WVGA PenTile display looked worlds nicer -- it's just not really "true" WVGA.

I think that's going to be the case for 720p PenTile screens. You're not getting true 720p, but "720p minus some bullshit overhead" is still a step up from WVGA.

kbar fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 28, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Do we know if the Vigor is going to be Pentile? I haven't read anything to indicate it will be but I also haven't read that it won't be either.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

We don't know about the vigor. All we know is Samsung said that their 720p AMOLED panels would be pentile.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

We don't know about the vigor. All we know is Samsung said that their 720p AMOLED panels would be pentile.

Yea, that's kind of what I figured. Guess we will have to wait and see, pretty excited for those two phones (the Vigor and whatever Samsung has up their sleeve).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's also the Droid HD/Razr whatever which may come out in Dec. That's rumored to have a non-pentile QHD AMOLED display and a Kevlar body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

bull3964 posted:

There's also the Droid HD/Razr whatever which may come out in Dec. That's rumored to have a non-pentile QHD AMOLED display and a Kevlar body.

The articles I'm finding don't seem to mention pentile or not, where did you see that? I just figured maybe that's why they made it 960 x 540 so it can really be 720p in the end. Pentile is 4 pixels instead of 3 right? 720/3 = 240, 4x240 = 960, hrmm. I assumed there would be 720 of each red/green/blue before though so I'm probably just talking nonsense.

sadus fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 28, 2011

• Locked thread