Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Perigryn posted:

The first time he said it, I thought I was hearing things but then he said it a few more times. Between TNA and WWE's creative being incompetant, it's no wonder he's got MMA to fall back on or else he'd go mad...

He sounded so excited talking about TUF today. Bryan wanted to move on and Dave is like "WE HAVE TO TALK ABOUT THE FIGHTS!" He just wanted to talk about what he enjoyed over terrible booking. Can't blame him really.

On that note, Cornette is supposed to be on the Observer today and I can't wait for it.

e: Cornette podcast is now live!

Akileese fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So I'm finally looking at the wrestling podcasts out there, and after starting with Art of Wrestling I have to ask are there any others like that that are still active? As usual itunes' 'related' list had mostly out dated/unrelated podcasts. I love the more casual, personal kinda feel to it.

Along with that, what are some good AOW's? I basically just got into it so I just have the most recent two. Should I just go with names I like or are there a few 'stand out' episodes?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Glitterbomber posted:

So I'm finally looking at the wrestling podcasts out there, and after starting with Art of Wrestling I have to ask are there any others like that that are still active? As usual itunes' 'related' list had mostly out dated/unrelated podcasts. I love the more casual, personal kinda feel to it.

Along with that, what are some good AOW's? I basically just got into it so I just have the most recent two. Should I just go with names I like or are there a few 'stand out' episodes?

Everyone should listen to the Cassandro El Exotico episode.

j. fed
Nov 4, 2008

The great thing about Art of Wrestling is that it makes me care about wrestlers who I normally wouldn't give a poo poo about. Two weeks ago Domino had me ROLLING as he was describing his match with Great Power Uti and it only gets better when you watch Power Uti videos on YouTube. I almost got in a wreck on the Dan Ryan in Chicago as I was listening to it, that's how much it distracted me. Funny, funny show.

Other fun ones are #37 with Luke Gallows, #26 with the Briscoes, #20 with Austin Aries, and #2 with CM Punk.

Listening to today's Bryan and Vinny show right now. A lot of the songs are poo poo but they had a transcendent one to open the Impact report. Guy made a song with an urban mix of the Legend of Zelda theme with Bryan reading poetry like The Genius. The ending included a cut of Bryan talking about how the song sucked and to go into the Impact report, Vinny thinks it's actually Bryan telling him to begin the report, and Bryan berates Vinny for two minutes for thinking it was him talking. That's some Inception-like poo poo right there.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

MassRayPer posted:

Everyone should listen to the Cassandro El Exotico episode.

Absolute truth here. I had never heard of Cassandro before and became a huge fan just because his life was fascinating.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Lamuella posted:

Absolute truth here. I had never heard of Cassandro before and became a huge fan just because his life was fascinating.
I just listened to it again yesterday. I'm glad he never gave up.

servo106
Apr 26, 2006

Glitterbomber posted:

No one has mentioned the Colin Delany episode yet so I will. Really good interview and dude can actually tell a really good story.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Steve Corino is a funny man. Sarah Del Ray is great too.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Just heard the Jimmy Rave episode of I Want Wrestling.

I work in mental health, and I have worked with peer support workers a lot before. My hat's off to Jimmy for the work he's doing.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

LordPants posted:

Steve Corino is a funny man. Sarah Del Ray is great too.

Seconded. I'd like to add Rocky Romero and Sonjay Dutt to this list as well: Rocky because of the chat he and Colt have about the lucha scene, and Sonjay because of his incredible cheapness.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also both KOW guys, Claudio's because he has a really cool story, and Chris's because ME NO HAVE A LOT OF MONEY!!!

edit: Unless that Rich Swan story is from F4W... :psyduck:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 25, 2011

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Random post:

I was reading classic responses to hecklers of standup comedians and some of the lines are taken from Scott Meltzer, Dave's brother!! (really)

We know who got the comedy genes in that family unless you count being incredibly deadpan to the point of obstinance as comedic

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZoDiAC_ posted:

unless you count being incredibly deadpan to the point of obstinance as comedic
Yes. Yes I do.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly
Dave ain't no Steven Wright, but hell, sometimes he has good ones :)

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Did Cornette say in his recent interview that ROH would be upping their amount of live events? I swear he said something crazy like they'd be running a bunch of times a month, but I deleted the podcast.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Dave cornering Bryan about Keith Stone on the most recent episode was hilarious to me for some reason.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

triplexpac posted:

Dave cornering Bryan about Keith Stone on the most recent episode was hilarious to me for some reason.

I still can't tell if Dave is having a laugh, or if he's really into Keith Stone.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

He could have said Cena wasn't smooth on commentary! It was right there.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I still can't tell if Dave is having a laugh, or if he's really into Keith Stone.
I keep imagining Dave to be like Ted Turner on Family Guy, especially when he goes "...but it's not".

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Keith Stone stuff...

I mean really.

It has to be a gag.

Right?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

How do almost none of you get Dave's sense of humor yet?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
You have to explain it in terms Wrestlehut understands.

Dave Meltzer: Gorilla Monsoon :: Bryan Alvarez: Bobby Heenan

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The legendary Roller Derby issue has been posted. I'm not sure why they posted it, but go read it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MassRayPer posted:

The legendary Roller Derby issue has been posted. I'm not sure why they posted it, but go read it.

Time to re-up my subscription.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

MassRayPer posted:

People complain about too much MMA in the Observer, Dave responds by writing massive in-depth articles about sports only tangentially related to wrestling. Next up in the series: medieval jousting.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Lancelot's heel turn came out of nowhere, man.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

MassRayPer posted:

People asked for it in the Observer section. I think he has released a couple other Observers out-of-turn like that before related to the Montreal Screwjob.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Borh posted:

People complain about too much MMA in the Observer, Dave responds by writing massive in-depth articles about sports only tangentially related to wrestling. Next up in the series: medieval jousting.

To be fair, roller derby loving rules.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Man I love UWF wrestling reviews. I love that the finish of the match can involve someone dying :stare:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

"We ain't gonna let no east coast motherfuckers, nor no motherfucking poo poo-kicking boot-cowboy wearing motherfucking south fools come out here and take this money from us, man"

This is why I subscribe.

p.s. WWE please bring Ricky Ortiz back because look at how much he's improved

oatgan fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 28, 2011

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

LordPants posted:

Man I love UWF wrestling reviews. I love that the finish of the match can involve someone dying :stare:

You can stab your opponent repeatedly...right up until he gets the ropes.

I have to watch this show.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
"I finally figured out who Uncle Murda was."

I wish UWF had shows every week.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MassRayPer posted:

Every week they don't, B&V should review an episode of the other UWF. Japanese one or the American one, really doesn't matter.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

"I saw what I think was a drug deal in the park."

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

You can stab your opponent repeatedly...right up until he gets the ropes.

I have to watch this show.

Do you have until the count of 5 to stop stabbing?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Whenever Bryan Alavarez reminds me that he is in fact a minority I think that only if he could be shown to all of the racists of the world they would see all of their conceptions about minorities just aren't true.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I loved the ending Q&A on the most recent WO. Dave is talking about the Ambrose/Rollins FCW match, saying "Yes and that great match did a lot to prove that they should be called up to the main roster. HAHAHA I'm just kidding it didn't make a difference"

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

If you listened to the B and V show today. Dear god check the youtube video for bashful brother oswald - end of the world. That outfit + the pompador. Holy poo poo.

gently caress it. I'm including the link because I feel like if you don't see it you're missing out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkfTvvcqghc

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

Akileese posted:

If you listened to the B and V show today. Dear god check the youtube video for bashful brother oswald - end of the world. That outfit + the pompador. Holy poo poo.

gently caress it. I'm including the link because I feel like if you don't see it you're missing out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkfTvvcqghc

Ha ha, I made a mental not to check it out when I heard the show, but then completely forgot. Thanks for reminding me. I don't care if he's wearing what appears to be overalls on top of pyjamas. Bashful Brother Oswald was the man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bryan: Okay, here's a question from one of our readers "Why the hell did Tito "EL MATADOR" Santana go over Undertaker on Spanish TV in Spain in 1991, I can't think of a single reason."

Dave: :psyduck:

• Locked thread