Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I've always had a pet theory that Arc III was a cash grab years later. It barely ties into the original couple (which had a pretty conclusive ending) and lacks a lot of the same charm.

It's not bad, but it's not something I'm gonna champion like I/II (especially II).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I've always had a pet theory that Arc III was a cash grab years later. It barely ties into the original couple (which had a pretty conclusive ending) and lacks a lot of the same charm.

It's not bad, but it's not something I'm gonna champion like I/II (especially II).

"Pet theory"? It wasn't like they tried to hide it. Arc 1 was basically a launch title, Arc 2 came a year later and Arc 3 didn't happen til late 99. Pretty sure it was more or less marketed with "hey, remember those games you bought the poo poo out of back in 95 and 96?" The team that made the series was dissolved not long after Arc 3.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 27, 2011

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

dis astranagant posted:

3 is bland and very easy. Not a whole lot happens and by the time it does you don't really know what any of it had to do with anything. Not exactly bad, just not good. The ps2 games, on the other hand, are loving terrible.
Does this include Twilight of the Spirits? I liked that game :(

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Nate RFB posted:

Does this include Twilight of the Spirits? I liked that game :(

I'll chime in for the "all PS2 Arc games are poo poo" camp but Twilight is the only one I ever hear people disagree with me on, for what it's worth for your wounded ego.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yes, I'm including : the game. The story of 2 intolerable assholes who look like completely different species though they happen to be brothers and their ceaseless bigotry toward each other and everyone else.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh I don't remember much about the plot other than it was silly, I just remember thinking the gameplay was nice and it was kind of cool how you had two different parties competing against each other sort of.

E: Also the longest final boss battle I've ever seen, holy poo poo.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 28, 2011

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

When the most likable person in your game is the small demon with a bucket on her head, you probably need your characters to have a little more empathy.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Is it just me or did GameStop push Atelier Totori's release date back until Friday during the day today? The heck? It's bad enough that no one had it on the official day, which was today. I asked about it at a GameStop today and they said it looked like the copies were already in transit so we'll have to see what happens tomorrow.

And yes I am dumb for doing business with GameStop but my work is right next to a mall so it's just tremendously convenient is all. That and I live in a state that doesn't charge sales tax.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The website has it pushed back as well. I just called my friend (manages a store) and he said they never received the shipment even for preorders. The stores receive normal shipments Tuesday and Friday mornings. Let's see how Amazon handles it because we might have another Catherine/Bit.Trip mess where some stores get it but most don't and Amazon was delaying people three to five days before shipment.

Ico/Shadow was chilling in retail stockrooms since last Tuesday, oddly enough.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Hrm...I did like 10 of these sidequests (there's 60 of them? not loving bothering till I get a chocobo to roam around that's for sure) in FF13's chapter 11 but I think I'm ready to move on.

Can I complete them after beating the game? (if I even care that much)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

HondaCivet posted:

Is it just me or did GameStop push Atelier Totori's release date back until Friday during the day today? The heck? It's bad enough that no one had it on the official day, which was today. I asked about it at a GameStop today and they said it looked like the copies were already in transit so we'll have to see what happens tomorrow.

And yes I am dumb for doing business with GameStop but my work is right next to a mall so it's just tremendously convenient is all. That and I live in a state that doesn't charge sales tax.

Same for me, it's a little frustrating since I was hoping to pick it up on today along with Shadow of Colossus/Ico.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Yeah I don't really get why this "release date" thing is so hard. Last week Kirby Mass Attack came out a day after the "official" release date too. I know Nintendo picks really stupid days like Sunday and Monday to release games but can't they just ship them early so they're ready on the right day? Unless they're having supply problems I guess but does that really happen that often?

First-world problems, need my stupid video games for babies :argh:

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

HondaCivet posted:

Is it just me or did GameStop push Atelier Totori's release date back until Friday during the day today? The heck?

There was a kerfluffle with the manufacturer and distribution warehouse that's making it ship late. I know the NISA store is supposed to ship them out at the end of this week or so.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

HondaCivet posted:

I got told Totori was pushed back to Thursday. They didn't get Solatorobo either :(

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Amazon's listing it as "temporarily out-of-stock" now. It's all true. :negative:

How do you guys find out stuff like that? Are you insiders of some sort or is there some site I just don't know about?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

HondaCivet posted:

Amazon's listing it as "temporarily out-of-stock" now. It's all true. :negative:

How do you guys find out stuff like that? Are you insiders of some sort or is there some site I just don't know about?

If you preordered it from NISA, you got this email:

quote:

Hello Valued Customers and Arland Adventurers,

The release for Atelier Totori is right around the corner and we are glad to have your business! Right now we'd like to fill you in on the current situation with this title.

Normally, the ship date is the day that we send the product to other retailers and also the time we aim to begin sending out the orders to our customers. Sometimes things run extra smoothly and we can send out our items ahead of the date listed on our site.

However, due to the manufacturing schedule on this title, Atelier Totori will leave the manufacturer on September 26, and arrive at our warehouse on September 29. As soon as the items are received, we will begin processing and shipping them out to customers. We apologize for the delay in shipping, but rest assured that we will keep you updated, and once your order has been shipped you will receive a shipping confirmation notice via e-mail.

We would like to thank you again for shopping with us. We appreciate your interested in our products, and hope for your continued support in the future.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Apparently my (UK) copy got sent out a little early, ahead of a Friday release date. For once I'm enjoying getting a game a little earlier than the US, especially since the last time it happened was White Knight Chronicles 2.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

thorsilver posted:

Threads of Fate, I did spot that one. What's it play like?

I've only put in a couple hours but it's a pretty basic action RPG. You can play as Mint or Rue. Rue can shapeshift into various monsters he has killed while Mint just gets magic spells from the monsters. Mint has an entertaining story since she wants to find power to rule the world and crush her sister. I haven't touched Rue's side.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Ah, thanks for posting that. At least it doesn't seem like it'll be an indefinite delay or anything.

Stelas posted:

Apparently my (UK) copy got sent out a little early, ahead of a Friday release date. For once I'm enjoying getting a game a little earlier than the US, especially since the last time it happened was White Knight Chronicles 2.

First Xenoblade and now this. :argh:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

HondaCivet posted:

First Xenoblade and now this. :argh:

One of my housemates owned a Wii ages back, but got rid of it when we simply couldn't find any games whatsoever worth playing on it. Now I'm reaching the point where I'm seriously considering finding a cheap one and just splashing out on a half-dozen RPGs and disappearing off the internet for a month.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I feel that BoF4 is pretty much just superior to 3 in every way. Especially in characters, plot, and combat mechanics, which are all REALLY good in BoF4.

This is so loving backwards I can't even believe you exist.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Wendell posted:

Really, why? I thought this was kind of a commonly accepted opinion at this point. BoF4 is so good.

I really like the BoF4 sound track, as it's one of the few that does asian themes in a way I enjoy.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Volitaire posted:

I wish I could get into VS. Every once in a while I pick it up again, only to set it back down a few hours later. I can't get over the combat/weapon upgrade system. Just feels really tedious and I suck at the timed combos.

I don't wish I could get into VS. I hate the fact that some of my friends told me to play it and got me to waste 30 hours on it. It's the last time I took a recommendation from them. I was like how could you think I could enjoy a game that's basically just a dungeon crawler with a very tedious weapons system that requires me to constantly sift through stats in order to build and change weapons? Do you think I'm that insane that I would find that fun?

The SA Vagrant Story review summed it up completely. http://www.somethingawful.com/d/game-reviews/vagrant-story-psx.php

"This, the first wretched spawn of Final Fantasy 8's interface, is created by people from the anal-retentive school of RPGing. Not only do you "get" to micromanage every aspect of your weapons and armor, but the drat things actually change on you the more you use them. I remember the days when a sword made of ice beat a creature that was on fire, and shooting a fish with lightning would kill it faster than just hacking at it. Now I have to worry about the weapon's "affinity", and since different weapons have largely different effects on different enemies, I can only assume Square wants me to re-equip every time I fight a new enemy. If they seriously think I'm going to do that then they're as crazy as the critics who gave this piece of poo poo 9's and 10's."

No kidding.

"And then there's the gorgeous weapon system. It's set up so that your weapon gets more powerful the more you use it, and when you get a new weapon it's a complete piece of poo poo. So what happens is you keep your old weapon that you have some experience with and just leave all the new weapons you find in your backpack or your rear end, wherever you're keeping them. This system is taken directly from Secret of Evermore, which was developed by Square of America. When the real Square developers start ripping off the team that was started as a cruel Japanese joke, we're all surely hosed."

And they actually sort of brought this stupid weapon concept for FF13. Every time you get a new weapon, it's garbage compared to the one you had been using.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Stelas posted:

One of my housemates owned a Wii ages back, but got rid of it when we simply couldn't find any games whatsoever worth playing on it. Now I'm reaching the point where I'm seriously considering finding a cheap one and just splashing out on a half-dozen RPGs and disappearing off the internet for a month.

Finding a half-dozen decent RPGs for the Wii is going to be a tall order I'm afraid. Fortunately Xenoblade is apparently really long and full of sidequests so it's probably about the only game you'd need.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

dis astranagant posted:

3 is bland and very easy. Not a whole lot happens and by the time it does you don't really know what any of it had to do with anything. Not exactly bad, just not good. The ps2 games, on the other hand, are loving terrible.

Oh, I see :( So best save my $6 for something more substantive I suppose.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

So... maybe it *is* worth $6, if it's not too bad?

Just started reading your LP of Arc the Lad II by the way, nice one :)

Spuzzz posted:

I've only put in a couple hours but it's a pretty basic action RPG. You can play as Mint or Rue. Rue can shapeshift into various monsters he has killed while Mint just gets magic spells from the monsters. Mint has an entertaining story since she wants to find power to rule the world and crush her sister. I haven't touched Rue's side.

Cool, thanks :) Sounds innocent enough, I might check it out.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I don't wish I could get into VS. I hate the fact that some of my friends told me to play it and got me to waste 30 hours on it. It's the last time I took a recommendation from them. I was like how could you think I could enjoy a game that's basically just a dungeon crawler with a very tedious weapons system that requires me to constantly sift through stats in order to build and change weapons? Do you think I'm that insane that I would find that fun?

The SA Vagrant Story review summed it up completely. http://www.somethingawful.com/d/game-reviews/vagrant-story-psx.php

"This, the first wretched spawn of Final Fantasy 8's interface, is created by people from the anal-retentive school of RPGing. Not only do you "get" to micromanage every aspect of your weapons and armor, but the drat things actually change on you the more you use them. I remember the days when a sword made of ice beat a creature that was on fire, and shooting a fish with lightning would kill it faster than just hacking at it. Now I have to worry about the weapon's "affinity", and since different weapons have largely different effects on different enemies, I can only assume Square wants me to re-equip every time I fight a new enemy. If they seriously think I'm going to do that then they're as crazy as the critics who gave this piece of poo poo 9's and 10's."

No kidding.

"And then there's the gorgeous weapon system. It's set up so that your weapon gets more powerful the more you use it, and when you get a new weapon it's a complete piece of poo poo. So what happens is you keep your old weapon that you have some experience with and just leave all the new weapons you find in your backpack or your rear end, wherever you're keeping them. This system is taken directly from Secret of Evermore, which was developed by Square of America. When the real Square developers start ripping off the team that was started as a cruel Japanese joke, we're all surely hosed."

And they actually sort of brought this stupid weapon concept for FF13. Every time you get a new weapon, it's garbage compared to the one you had been using.

VS is actually a pretty simple game that shows too much information. Most of the little numbers that you're trying to sperg over are largely irrelevant. The only things you really have to do are remember to top up the PP on all your weapons (that's the single biggest damage modifier in the game) and try out different types (edged/blunt/piercing) and alements if an enemy isn't taking much damage. The game almost always gives you the tools you need before each boss, though occasionally it hides them a little. Even the final boss can be taken down fairly easily with starting stats and guaranteed equipment. And in the worst case you can turn every fight into a string of QTEs with the right defense and chain abilities set (you can never, ever die so long as you hit one of the damage reducing defense abilities).

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

thorsilver posted:

Oh, I see :( So best save my $6 for something more substantive I suppose.

So... maybe it *is* worth $6, if it's not too bad?

Just started reading your LP of Arc the Lad II by the way, nice one :)

Cool, thanks :) Sounds innocent enough, I might check it out.

For what it's worth I'd put my voice in support of Arc 3, I can definitely see the complaints of other's but I still found it fun though I did like whichever was the first ps2 Arc game so I may just be retarded.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Xenoblade was so good it's ruined all rpgs for me. I keep going "well Xenoblade did this, why couldn't you have done it? :colbert:"
"Why do you keep doing this to me, Xenoblade never treated me this way :cry:"
"gently caress your poo poo, you're a lovely game, I'm going back to Xenoblade :argh:"

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Think Monolith's gonna make another one like Xenoblade?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Wendell posted:

While I disagree that BoF4 is superior to 3, it does have Scias which really tips the scale heavily. I think BoF4 did some cool things like the split perspective story but I felt the dragon system was a step down (even though I can't remember the difference now) and the story sort of plodded a lot more. It's by no means a bad game but I don't think it did enough new either.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

BoF4 automatically wins in my book for actually having well written villans, who have reasonable motivations and are pretty competent. The whole playable cast is pretty likable too. The combat system is better too IMO, the whole two-line mechanic, combo system, stealing skills, and the way the dragon system falls into those things.

The plot pacing is definitely the big problem with the game, at a few points it just stops dead in its tracks to do some unrelated stuff.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.
BoF4 is technically a better game in most regards, but BoF3 is still my preference. There's a certain charm in 3 that was lost in 4, and no amount of well crafted Korean mythology, new fight mechanics, varied masters or fancy fishing can make up for it. I will concede I really like that Guard and Watch were the same command, though; I hated dropping my defenses to learn skills in 3. Also, Ershin is awesome.

As for that Vagrant Story rant... it's so wrong, I'm flabbergasted. For one, it's more akin to Parasite Eve than FF8. Two, it was considered a critical darling for more than just game mechanics; it presented 'cutscenes' within the game engine, rather than cutting to FMV of drastically different quality, and it was localized with a lot of attention to detail, something lacking in previous PSX efforts. Thirdly... well, I can't argue against the micromanagement bit, but this game is aimed at JRPG players, for gently caress's sake. Micromanagement goes hand-in-hand with the genre. And only minimal micromanagement is necessary, once the player realizes that, yes, he or she is supposed to change weapons frequently, and allow weapons to grow into specialized killing tools for specific situations. VS is not everyone's cup of tea, nor does it pretend to be, but to call it an awful game because it's not to one's liking is doing it a disservice.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

How fast does the NIS store typically ship stuff? Gamestop and Amazon are being stupid about the delay on Totori so it might just be easier to order straight from the source. Plus I can still get a "water-resistant" poster with little anime girls on it!

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
BOF3 had a really amazing, fun dragon system that you could experiment with and get some really neat, obscure results if you were tired of using myrmidon to aura every boss to death. I love BOF4 but I really feel like it was a step backwards in that regard.

How's Dragon Quarter? I tried it years ago but came in wanting something like the traditional games but never gave it a chance but now I've heard really cool stuff about it..and the music seems really good.

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 28, 2011

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Hrm...I did like 10 of these sidequests (there's 60 of them? not loving bothering till I get a chocobo to roam around that's for sure) in FF13's chapter 11 but I think I'm ready to move on.

Can I complete them after beating the game? (if I even care that much)

Since no one else picked up on this....

Yes, after you beat the final boss you can resume the game from Pulse, and finish side-quests/leveling in the Crystarium/achievement hunting/etc.

On my copy I've put in about 15 hours since beating the game working on powering up my weapons to take out a Long Gui without spamming Death with Vanille. No luck yet (also haven't played it in a few months), but it's on my backlog of things to do with it.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Dolphin Fetus posted:

How's Dragon Quarter? I tried it years ago but came in wanting something like the traditional games but never gave it a chance but now I've heard really cool stuff about it..and the music seems really good.

It's good but very weird. The style of story is completely different, as are the characters. The combat system is a lot of fun, and it has some elements of risk/reward to it. A lot of people don't like that the whole game is on a timer and that using your Dragon power is a thing you can only do very rarely.

You don't actually have to restart at any point in the game BTW, it's very possible to beat the game on your first time through if you manage your D-Counter carefully. You may have to restore if you mess up a section pretty badly, but that's not a huge set back. For the most part the game is very fair as long as you think before you do something.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Level Slide posted:

Think Monolith's gonna make another one like Xenoblade?

They've said their next project is going to be something they think will put em right up there on the playing field with western RPG dev's and they want to push HD. So while we might not get another game that plays like Xenoblade, we're going to get something that will more than likely try to push the JRPG boundaries again in another way.

I for one, am excited. But I will wait to buy a Wii U until it comes out and I have some way to play it because gently caress NoA.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Dolphin Fetus posted:

BOF3 had a really amazing, fun dragon system that you could experiment with and get some really neat, obscure results if you were tired of using myrmidon to aura every boss to death. I love BOF4 but I really feel like it was a step backwards in that regard.

I loved Dragon Quarter for what it was - it was a fun dungeon runner with a great soundtrack and some neat environments as you progress upwards from the start. The risk of the D-System made sure I only used it in the final encounters but being able to restart the game at any time with stored items and experience made it pretty fun.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Its completely backwards from just about every other BoF. The silent protagonist role is switched around, you aren't a dragon, the setting is straight up steampunk, you do not want to use dragon powers unless you are forced to and its also pretty short. It encourages same run re-runs but in the end it doesn't feel as meaty as BoF4. Its different, but its still pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

They've said their next project is going to be something they think will put em right up there on the playing field with western RPG dev's and they want to push HD. So while we might not get another game that plays like Xenoblade, we're going to get something that will more than likely try to push the JRPG boundaries again in another way.

I for one, am excited. But I will wait to buy a Wii U until it comes out and I have some way to play it because gently caress NoA.

Not-Xenogears with not-Jessie as a party member?