Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

peanut- posted:

Most of the hints given in that section are pretty drat obscure - especially starting with no reference points like the time period or player nationality.

Well he normally tells them their date of birth (thus leading into another hilarious summer of love joke) and often where they were born so you can usually get the era and nationality from those. Some of the clues are incredibly obscure but I'm no anorak and I've gotten the name before all of them each time so far. They've struggled with some really basic stuff as well like on the Henning Berg one when he asked them what other players had won the premiership with different clubs which is a piece of piss and they struggled even after he told them they played for Chelsea iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Barney Ronay is great what are you talking about

BTW if like me you want to listen to Tim Vickery but can't stand the doddery bollocks of the rest of the World Football Phone in, he does 10 minute bits on Talksport every week that can be downloaded, along with Sid Lowe, Auclair and others

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Barney Ronay is awful and it's painful listening to Jimbo not giving into temptation to call him an idiot every time he's on.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I've only just starting listening to the Football Ramble. Two of them are funny, two of them are pretty annoying. They also mangled the pronunciation of about a dozen player names or club names in the three or four that I've listened to. Unless that's some joke that I missed, I couldn't believe they kept getting so many names wrong.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

ragle posted:

More Philippe Auclair :colbert:
Always more Philippe Auclair

Ramble's loving nonsense. Smug geezer nonsense.

The foreigners on Football Weekly are excellent, Dr. Sid Lowe too. Barry is great, he seems a very intelligent bloke. He often mentions doing research about small things that others don't bother too. The Sunday Supplement stuff was pretty embarrassing (for the SS guys).

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

peanut- posted:

Barney Ronay is awful and it's painful listening to Jimbo not giving into temptation to call him an idiot every time he's on.

I think he's quite amusing and clearly doesn't take anything too seriously. He's also the most entertaining writer on the site, even though he often gets lumped with the most tedious topics to write about.

Ingle with his contextless stats and betting tips is useless though.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Monday Bandele posted:

I think he's quite amusing and clearly doesn't take anything too seriously. He's also the most entertaining writer on the site, even though he often gets lumped with the most tedious topics to write about.

Ingle with his contextless stats and betting tips is useless though.

Agreed, he strikes the balance well pn the site. Sid Lowe's bizarre La Liga recaps are insane. Rafa's are incredibly dry at times.

Oh yeah, Duarte was the star of the show last night, as per usual.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Lot 49 posted:

Football weekly has got even better though, more Honingstein and that serie A guy and less Barney and Ingle = :cool:

Yeah, that's probably the Dream Team. AC Jimbo, Barry, Honigstein, and Duarte. Maybe Jonathan Wilson on the blower.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Jimbo's puns were quite good this week!

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

hadji murad posted:

I love it every time they have Fernando Duarte on.

And the glold section where they had to say "up" with rising inflection was quite funny I thought.

His joke was wahjah.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Duarte is amazing. Love how passionate and defensive he is about stuff.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Duarte is amazing because sometimes you suspect he just decides what to talk about beforehand and shoehorns in it. What pundits do you want? well let me tell you a brazilian joke about jesus and moses loving about playing football on the red sea...

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
If he was on every week it would old very quickly.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I like the other Irish guy that talks about French football.

Has he been on this year?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nimmy posted:

Yeah, that's probably the Dream Team. AC Jimbo, Barry, Honigstein, and Duarte. Maybe Jonathan Wilson on the blower.

alternate Duarte, Wilson, and Philippe Auclair and I'd be happy every episode. Maybe add Zonal Marking aka Michael Cox in for youth and enthusiasm. I don't think anybody on Football Weekly is aggressively terrible, but there are plenty of guests who are really anonymous.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
I actually enjoyed hearing Amy Lawrence two weeks ago or whenever it was. It's nice to hear a woman on the show every now and then.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

This might come across as stupid thing to say, but I'm always impressed by Auclair, Honigstein and Duarte's eloquence in English. Obviously they're all journalists, but I've never met any non-natives that are so fluent in idioms and able to be as witty and natural in a second language. It doesn't seem like a joke is ever lost on any of them, which is definitely the hardest thing to achieve in language, especially considering the amount of puns in Football Weekly.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Hoops posted:

This might come across as stupid thing to say, but I'm always impressed by Auclair, Honigstein and Duarte's eloquence in English. Obviously they're all journalists, but I've never met any non-natives that are so fluent in idioms and able to be as witty and natural in a second language. It doesn't seem like a joke is ever lost on any of them, which is definitely the hardest thing to achieve in language, especially considering the amount of puns in Football Weekly.

Yes, this. Very impressive.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Hoops posted:

Yeah, Fernando said 'chlorosis' the other day, which blew me away.

The only problem with FW is Sid Lowe's over-sincere reporting where he makes out that everything is far more significant and important than it actually is. 'The interesting thing is that they've been in this meeting for 3 hours, and that generally means that something is being agreed on' is the most recent example of something that made me cringe.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

I am OK posted:

Yeah, Fernando said 'chlorosis' the other day, which blew me away.

The only problem with FW is Sid Lowe's over-sincere reporting where he makes out that everything is far more significant and important than it actually is. 'The interesting thing is that they've been in this meeting for 3 hours, and that generally means that something is being agreed on' is the most recent example of something that made me cringe.
Wasn't it "cirrhosis", as in liver disease?

I'm starting to feel the same way about Sid Lowe, I just could never out my finger on what I didn't like. I think "over-sincere" is the perfect word actually. Still like him as a reporter and everything, but there are certainly those cringe-worthy moments, I agree.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.
Don't care for Lowe either, and wish they'd only do La Liga updates every few shows like they do for the other foreign leagues.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
Yeah it is 'cirrhosis'. Dunno what my fingers were doing there.

ReleasetheKracker!
Oct 8, 2010

by Ozmaugh
The problem with Sid Lowe is he always has subway noise or his dog barking or something in the background. Christ, man, find a quiet spot for 10 minutes a week so that you don't irritate thousands of people.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
The guy seems quite busy to be fair. He does commentary on Spanish games for LaSexta, a terrestrial channel here in Spain, which is insane. Most people find it difficult to commentate even in their first language.

Have there ever been any non-native English speaking commentators in England? I can only think of Jan Molby on Radio 5.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Monday Bandele posted:

Have there ever been any non-native English speaking commentators in England? I can only think of Jan Molby on Radio 5.

Andy Townsend.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Molby does TV3 here in Ireland sometimes, but his scouse accent is so strong I thought it was Jason McAteer at first.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

I am OK posted:

Yeah it is 'cirrhosis'. Dunno what my fingers were doing there.

I mean, it's not impressive that he knew the word because it's one of those words that are pretty much the same in any language.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

jyrka posted:

I mean, it's not impressive that he knew the word because it's one of those words that are pretty much the same in any language.

Cool, ta.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
The ease with which Jimbo gets trolled by Barry is kind of sad :(

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Anyone still listening to The Anfield Wrap? I gave up a few weeks back because it's a bit poo poo, but they had Rafa on today. Wondering if it's worth a listen?

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Mickolution posted:

Anyone still listening to The Anfield Wrap? I gave up a few weeks back because it's a bit poo poo, but they had Rafa on today. Wondering if it's worth a listen?

It's about Liverpool so no.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

I don't know why the Football Ramble devotes the entire last 15 minutes of an episode to a profile every single week. I mean, this week it was Bobby Charlton whose career actually generated some interesting stories but a lot of the time it's some relatively forgotten manager of Germany or something and the entire thing is "and then he did this, and then he did that, and then he managed this team, then he went here, then he did this, then he did that...." and you wonder why they've bothered at all because I've turned it off five minutes ago.

I can understand people of an older different generation than I enjoying being reminded of so-and-so from the '74 world cup, but aren't the Football Ramble guys in their late 20s or early 30s? I don't get why they seem so keen to go over people that they may not have ever saw play.

[edit]just had a look at who's in the hall of fame on the website and its not as bad as I was making out, most of them there is more to say than just "he was a good player", maybe I've just been unlucky with the ones I've listened to.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 13, 2011

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
Open up the Wikipedia page of the relevant person every week and read along!

Most weeks it seems like a competition for the loud, annoying one to try and preempt the host by drop in things all the time from further down the same article.

(some of the profiles they do are reasonably interesting because they do highlight some largely forgotten players with tremendous records or careers, although all the information they give is directly cribbed from Wikipedia)

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
When I could put up with the podcast, the profiles were often the most interesting part. Granted, you'd get some guy you'd not heard of but those usually turned out to be worth a listen, and if not, ah well, switch it off.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Hoops posted:

I don't know why the Football Ramble devotes the entire last 15 minutes of an episode to a profile every single week. I mean, this week it was Bobby Charlton whose career actually generated some interesting stories but a lot of the time it's some relatively forgotten manager of Germany or something and the entire thing is "and then he did this, and then he did that, and then he managed this team, then he went here, then he did this, then he did that...." and you wonder why they've bothered at all because I've turned it off five minutes ago.

I can understand people of an older different generation than I enjoying being reminded of so-and-so from the '74 world cup, but aren't the Football Ramble guys in their late 20s or early 30s? I don't get why they seem so keen to go over people that they may not have ever saw play.

Haven't had a chance to listen to the most recent one yet, but surely that's what makes it more interesting? When they were talking about Ronaldo or Overmars in relatively recent ones, I found them a bit boring because I remember most of their careers. The really interesting ones that come to mind are the likes of Billy Meredith or Béla Guttmann. I've enjoyed the ones with more recent players, but if I remember a player, it's far less interesting.

I also think people are being a little harsh on The Ramble. It's more of a pod done by some fans than anything else. I think that's why I like it as I already get my more serious stuff from Soccernet/The Game/Football Weekly. It took me a little while to get beyond it being a bit "laddish" at first, but I really enjoy it now.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
The enthusiasm they all have is definitely a plus point. Sometimes the Guardian podcast gets a bit too bogged down in the weary cynicism that probably comes from having to write about young idiot millionaires all day for a living.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Mickolution posted:

Haven't had a chance to listen to the most recent one yet, but surely that's what makes it more interesting?

It would be interesting if they were talking about what they remembered from first hand experience. I love listening to old United fans talk about Best and Edwards etc, but just listening to them read out whatever turns up when they google a name and then guessing at what they were like is boring as gently caress.

Marcus: "He scored 87 goals in 162 games".
Luke: "Sounds like someone who knows where the back of the net is".

Imo one of the few good profiles they have done was Prosinecki and that was because of Luke talking about what it was like watching him rock up at the club he supported in the first division and help save them from relegation. Hearing him talk about that was a million times more interesting to me than someone reciting which clubs he played for and what he won at each of them.

Lot 49 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 13, 2011

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mandalay posted:

The ease with which Jimbo gets trolled by Barry is kind of sad :(

I love it. :) I found Barry's act tiresome after a while, but eventually I got back into it again.

Also, I really enjoy them struggling to fill time in the International breaks. And, did anyone really enjoy the chemistry that Sid has when he's around in the actual studio? He can still be fun on the phone, but in person he seems to be a riot.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I thought Philipe Auclair's comments on Arshavin were interesting on Football Weekly - basically going against prevailing wisdom and saying that the problem isn't him, but that the rest of the team are too poo poo to play with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
God, listened to The Anfield Wrap's opinion of the Suarez/Evra accusations. Not an ounce of objectivity. Calling the allegations (almost) racist against Suarez... Awful stuff. Every time I listen to this, I hate it. After a few weeks, I try again, but no. Shite.