Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Amorphous Blob posted:

I just bought this game during the steam sale, and it's been an absolute blast. I just wish that this Russian rear end in a top hat would hurry up and loving die :argh:

Oh loving hell your avatar, the plot holes he has dug himself in that one story line alone are so egregious I can't stand him.

(If Ted can see, why couldn't he tell scott he was in the fridge [He claims to have had this story planned since the beginning]
Why would someone, so intelligent, and having suffered through damning setbacks before NOT HAVE A GODDAMNED BACKUP SATELLITE
Also, if Ethan is now a good programmer (Embla storyline, allegedly had to be back at Zeke's) why the gently caress is he so poo poo at Bioware):rant:

I know it's a derail, but dammit I had to vent on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

In Moscow, when you meet Albatross, you have an option to become an ally with the G22. If you say no, you get the secret dossier fact for G22, that a previous iteration of Alpha Protocol was called G19, with possible linkage to G22. If you go for the secret dossier fact, does that fact ever come up in any conversations or the plot? I know at the end of the game, you can get the secret dossier fact for Alpha Protocol, that says the same thing, Alpha Protocol used to be called G19 and Deus Volt, but by that point, you're past conversations and plot.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

StealthArcher posted:

words

Thank you for that relevant post.

Also, i think i'm gonna have to do a fifth playthrough soon. I feel like doing some good old shotgun-assholery again. :unsmith:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Odddzy posted:

Some people at work here (game studio in Montreal) are anglophones, it helps if you speak french but it's a bilingual workplace in many companies from what I know.

I shouldn't say I'd "have" to learn French, but it would be an advantage. Less for work and more for living in the city.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wow you guys weren't kidding about incendiaries. One of those babies killed the Saudi Arabia boss in one go. I was a little disappointed actually, I was running up to punch him in the face. I've been having a lot easier time of things sneaking around and just switching to shotgun/punch mode when I get caught. Even having awareness on at all times doesn't stop me from running into guards staring right at me, apparently.

Also I have apparently created 260 orphans. Sorry kids!

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Dominoes posted:

Surround sound does not work in this game.

I actually got it to work after about another hour of messing with it. I had been using this guide

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1613179

Which wasn't working until I launched the game from APGame.exe instead of through Steam and then it started working.

DuckPuncher
Jun 2, 2011

A writer must sleep
And a ghost must haunt

RBA Starblade posted:

Wow you guys weren't kidding about incendiaries. One of those babies killed the Saudi Arabia boss in one go. I was a little disappointed actually, I was running up to punch him in the face. I've been having a lot easier time of things sneaking around and just switching to shotgun/punch mode when I get caught. Even having awareness on at all times doesn't stop me from running into guards staring right at me, apparently.

Zero orphans. :colbert: Their fathers live to be punched in the throat another day by this guy:

Close your mouth while you're sneaking, Thorton.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
I bought this game like many people for $2 and thought it was sit in my Steam list untouched like most games I buy for some reason.

This game is incredible. The gun play is sloppy but it works very well given the game type. You can do whatever the hell you want and it's probably the first game where I've wanted more cut scenes and story than I did actual game play.

I just exited the first mission, is this game (given the gun play) even possible to rambo across? Chain shot seems like being an AR commando would work given you equip for it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Amorphous Blob posted:

I just bought this game during the steam sale, and it's been an absolute blast. I just wish that this Russian rear end in a top hat would hurry up and loving die :argh:

Pro-tip: If you go to the Taiwan hub first, then back Moscow you can buy the poison his super-coke intel from Steve Heck to make the fight much easier.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

So I got this game during the sale and it was working smoothly. Beat Saudi Arabia and now my game is bugged. Every time I launch the game now, I end up on the main menu but it fails to register my 360 controller. Hell, it barely responds to mouse/keyboard. 1 out of 10 times it will register clicks and I get into the Options menu. I click enable controller then everything goes to pieces again. :( Did anyone else encounter this bug? I tried verifying the game cache but that didn't do anything.

EDIT: In the time it took me to alt-tab to write this post (I'm playing in windowed mode), it started responding to mouse clicks. So I went to enable the 360 controller in the options and it now is going crazy. In the bottom where it says "Default Settings and Exit" it's blinking the 360 buttons over and over again.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
This loving game... I decided to start replaying it once again, and just discovered the scene with Surkov not trusting you after you break him out of the embassy. I was expecting the same uneventful conversation I've had with him every other time, but then he goes and pulls a gun on me. Me, the guy who just saved his rear end. So, obviously, I snatched it from his hand and used it to shoot him in the knee.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

This loving game... I decided to start replaying it once again, and just discovered the scene with Surkov not trusting you after you break him out of the embassy. I was expecting the same uneventful conversation I've had with him every other time, but then he goes and pulls a gun on me. Me, the guy who just saved his rear end. So, obviously, I snatched it from his hand and used it to shoot him in the knee.

Wait, what? How did you do that? I've never seen that scene. This loving game.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

ArchRanger posted:

Yesssss. It starts again.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

Yesssss. It starts again.

I'm waiting for the big flood of posts in about a week when all of the Steam sale users come back in with their second playthrough and begin to realize how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Clarify something for me.

On the mission debriefing screen there is white text, and there is olive colored text. The white text will always happen everytime you play through that mission, and the olive text can change based on if you kill dudes or subdue them, who you have as your handler, if you get spotted, how much intel you take and poo poo like that?

This game is ridiculous. It would literally be the best game I have ever played if my mouse wasn't being a bitch on hacking minigames

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Vadun posted:

This game is ridiculous. It would literally be the best game I have ever played if my mouse wasn't being a bitch on hacking minigames

The mouse is like that for everyone. It is the worst - but it works fine if you use a controller. The problem is that they literally didn't change the mechanics for lock picking and hacking AT ALL from the console version.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

VibrioCholera posted:

I bought this game like many people for $2 and thought it was sit in my Steam list untouched like most games I buy for some reason.

This game is incredible. The gun play is sloppy but it works very well given the game type. You can do whatever the hell you want and it's probably the first game where I've wanted more cut scenes and story than I did actual game play.

I just exited the first mission, is this game (given the gun play) even possible to rambo across? Chain shot seems like being an AR commando would work given you equip for it.

Yeah, the assault rifle is pretty good even without points. If you actually invest in it, it greatly reduces your cone of fire and the special ability (focused aim) lasts a very long time. To me, it seemed like focused aim also slows down time for you a little bit as well.

All the guns are viable, it's just that the pistol is the most overpowered once you have invested enough points in it. You can easily go rambo with either the assault rifle or submachine guns. The SMG special literally gives you infinite ammo with no need to reload for the duration. The shotgun is good too, but I think it's probably the weakest of all the firearms. When fighting bosses, they tend to avoid the critical hit knockdown and it is also not good at long range.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
So I just finished this game (having bought it in the $2 sale) and now I come here to see that I'm not even remotely finished with it. And here I was just thinking that 15-20 hours is the perfect length for a game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Torsade de Pointes posted:

The shotgun is good too, but I think it's probably the weakest of all the firearms. When fighting bosses, they tend to avoid the critical hit knockdown and it is also not good at long range.

I forget, doesn't Omen Deng drop a "sniper" shotgun--that it to say, it has like 0 spread--if you execute him?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

The Quake posted:

I actually got it to work after about another hour of messing with it. I had been using this guide

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1613179

Which wasn't working until I launched the game from APGame.exe instead of through Steam and then it started working.
I'll check that out, but seeing that it's an OpenAL issue confirms that I probably won't get it working: There are several games, generally Unreal Engine ones, and also Mass Effect 1 (2 works) and the STALKER games that don't work with surround for me, and they all involve OpenAL in some way. I've spent lots of time trying to fix them with no luck.

Now I see why people are recommending not using Hard and recruit on a first playthrough: The warehouse and ruins missions in Rome feel impossible.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 28, 2011

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Dominoes posted:

Now I see why people are recommending not using Hard and recruit on a first playthrough: The warehouse and ruins missions in Rome feel impossible.

I don't know what order you've done the hubs in, but making friends Russia can make that first one way easier. The second one - bring lots of gadgets.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, I'm wondering what the Orphans Created thing is. I assume it's true cost of your actions beyond just what's experienced in the game. I know I didn't check before letting Nasri go in the Saudi mission, but I know that the number of guards I killed was far smaller than than the number of orphans created. It doesn't help that I flipped on the television after the mission to hear that a bunch of Marines bought it from terrorists armed with high-tech weapons. :sweatdrop:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, I'm wondering what the Orphans Created thing is. I assume it's true cost of your actions beyond just what's experienced in the game. I know I didn't check before letting Nasri go in the Saudi mission, but I know that the number of guards I killed was far smaller than than the number of orphans created. It doesn't help that I flipped on the television after the mission to hear that a bunch of Marines bought it from terrorists armed with high-tech weapons. :sweatdrop:

It's a weird stat because it's a pretty off-the cuff calculation. It's based on average family size of various nationalities represented by different factions. So for Deus Vult it's american, for al Samad I think it's saudi, etc. But it's got a random element as well, additionally it assumes all the dudes you kill are single fathers.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Young Freud posted:

According to TVTropes, the number of orphans you create per kill varies with hub area. Demographically speaking, your average Saudi Arabian family is going to be bigger than your average Russian, Italian, or Taiwanese family, so you create more orphans by shooting someone in Saudi Arabia than by shooting someone in Taiwan or Moscow or Rome.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

It's a weird stat because it's a pretty off-the cuff calculation. It's based on average family size of various nationalities represented by different factions. So for Deus Vult it's american, for al Samad I think it's saudi, etc. But it's got a random element as well, additionally it assumes all the dudes you kill are single fathers.

If they had wives, I would imagine that they would all die of grief.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

vulgey posted:

Doing this on my run through and Madison smashed a ornament over my head and then knocked me out with one of my own shock traps before the museum mission. Then, even though I saved her and let all the civilians die, she disappeared and left me a voicemail when I got back to the safehouse. Didn't even get a handjob.

She does this regardless of how you treated her if you save her instead of the civilians. Or does she? I slept with her and she still left a voice mail saying she couldn't stand to be a distraction to me

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

SolidKZ posted:

She does this regardless of how you treated her if you save her instead of the civilians. Or does she? I slept with her and she still left a voice mail saying she couldn't stand to be a distraction to me

Marburg himself highlights it if you save her. Can't remember the exact phrasing, but he completely tears you apart verbally for thinking you did something great for her. What you did was put the life of one you care about above the life of many. She will have to live with knowing that because she was captured, YOU, Mike Thorton chose to let those other people die. Marburg is a sadistic dick.

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Covered in blood and without any clothes. Where is my mother?
Something I realised today when talking to Marburg. This guy:

Is also this guy:

And this guy:

And all these guys:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0191906/

This loving game. Jim loving Cummings.

vulgey fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 28, 2011

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
And as I said before, Jim Cummings (the VA) seems to do the same voice for all his characters, yet is able to make them so different :psyduck: Seriously, listen to Minsc, Marburg and Monterey Jack- all have the same voices, yet are wildly different (okay, maybe Monty and Minsc aren't all that dissimilar).

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
This game runs with so many bugs on my machine, most of which are well documented, but one hilarious one is that if I die near a checkpoint and then reload from that checkpoint, all of the enemies in the area will have disappeared. This included the first boss, he just wasn't there and I got credited with killing him silently.

I mean, it helps me get past areas I'm dying in, but still.

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Noreaus posted:

This game runs with so many bugs on my machine, most of which are well documented, but one hilarious one is that if I die near a checkpoint and then reload from that checkpoint, all of the enemies in the area will have disappeared. This included the first boss, he just wasn't there and I got credited with killing him silently.

I mean, it helps me get past areas I'm dying in, but still.

This bug only happens if you use the "Load last quicksave" option after you die :)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

"Son, I'm going away for a few days, and you can't call me. But don't worry, when I'm back I'll have all the money we'll need to get that operation :unsmith: "

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

By the way, was the sniper rifle Darcy drops off in Saudi Arabia for you supposed to be useless? There were no guards in the area for me to shoot, and I don't recall doing something in other missions to draw the guards out of the area. I just took it as him being a dick.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
Darcy is a tactical genius.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

evilmiera posted:

"Son, I'm going away for a few days, and you can't call me. But don't worry, when I'm back I'll have all the money we'll need to get that operation :unsmith: "

They call Mr. Thorton the Whisper. Not because he's stealthy, god no. They call him the Whisper because he punches everyone he meets square in the trachea.

The man's on a one-man crusade to produce more throat surgeons.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

Darcy is a tactical genius.

I do like how Thorton keeps a picture of him next to his bed in Moscow to keep him warm. :v:

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Scorchy posted:

I don't know what order you've done the hubs in, but making friends Russia can make that first one way easier.
I've heard people mention this, but it's one of the few things in the game I still haven't seen after all my playthroughs. I did Russia first in my last playthrough and made sure to become friends with Brayko, because I wanted to see that email. I even had him kill Surkov, but when I got to that mission, there was just the one intel for the false-bottom briefcase that there usually is. Is there something else I have to do to trigger that?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Torsade de Pointes posted:

Yeah, the assault rifle is pretty good even without points. If you actually invest in it, it greatly reduces your cone of fire and the special ability (focused aim) lasts a very long time. To me, it seemed like focused aim also slows down time for you a little bit as well

But Assault rifles sort of lose out since their special ability is really bad compared to the other weapons.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

ArchRanger posted:

I'm playing as shotgun rear end in a top hat Mike. I bashed Grigori's head into the bar when I met him, then shot my way through the front door of the embassy and killed all the guards. Once we got outside he said Grigori called me a thug so I know the head-bash part is important, but I'm not sure about the guards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

I'm playing as shotgun rear end in a top hat Mike. I bashed Grigori's head into the bar when I met him, then shot my way through the front door of the embassy and killed all the guards. Once we got outside he said Grigori called me a thug so I know the head-bash part is important, but I'm not sure about the guards.

If you are professional with Grigori he still warns Serkov but because Serkov likes professionalism he doesn't increase his guard to the marines. This way you can walk right up to the first guy and tell him you have an appointment and he lets you in, all the marines are allies and you just fight G22 and defend Serkov at the end. If you beat up Grigori then you get marines instead of rent-a-cops and Serkov will pull a gun on you even after you save him.

The last few pages of this thread look like a declassified report on the real Alpha Protocol.

• Locked thread