Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

vulgey posted:

If you are professional with Grigori he still warns Serkov but because Serkov likes professionalism he doesn't increase his guard to the marines. This way you can walk right up to the first guy and tell him you have an appointment and he lets you in, all the marines are allies and you just fight G22 and defend Serkov at the end. If you beat up Grigori then you get marines instead of rent-a-cops and Serkov will pull a gun on you even after you save him.

Actually...

If you beat up Grigori and talk your way into the embassy, being professional, it confuses Serkov and he won't attack because he's been misinformed about you.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Covered in blood and without any clothes. Where is my mother?

poptart_fairy posted:

Actually...

If you beat up Grigori and talk your way into the embassy, being professional, it confuses Serkov and he won't attack because he's been misinformed about you.

:allears:

"This loving game." Should have been a quote on the game box. Or the subtitle. Or the full title.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

etalian posted:

But Assault rifles sort of lose out since their special ability is really bad compared to the other weapons.

Yeah, it's definitely got the least useful special. It's a good secondary weapon to carry even if you put no points into it. If you do invest points into the skill, it becomes a decent primary weapon. You just get less bang for your points than what you would get with the pistol.

vulgey posted:

If you are professional with Grigori he still warns Serkov but because Serkov likes professionalism he doesn't increase his guard to the marines. This way you can walk right up to the first guy and tell him you have an appointment and he lets you in, all the marines are allies and you just fight G22 and defend Serkov at the end. If you beat up Grigori then you get marines instead of rent-a-cops and Serkov will pull a gun on you even after you save him.

Another moment like this that I experienced during the Moscow Embassy I was being a dick and head slammed Grigori. I think this normally makes it slightly harder to talk your way in the front door. However, because I had Thorton wearing heavy combat armor and toting an assault rifle, the Marine stationed at the front door mistakenly thought he was a Marine as well and let him in with almost no convincing. I assume it's probably checking the armor type rather than the weapon for this trigger, but I like to think it helped. :v:

Edit: vvv I actually did have him sporting the lumberjack and Ushanka for maximum effect. vvv

Torsade de Pointes fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 28, 2011

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You need to do that with the ushanka and massive beard to be completely thematic. :colbert:

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
Yet another "this loving game" moment: being knocked out by Madison. I've been an rear end in a top hat to her, I had it coming. I laughed when Mike says his "this isn't a movie" line and she responds by strapping a shock trap to his chest.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Yet another "this loving game" moment: being knocked out by Madison. I've been an rear end in a top hat to her, I had it coming. I laughed when Mike says his "this isn't a movie" line and she responds by strapping a shock trap to his chest.

Or their passive aggressive name calling if you get on her bad side.

Soccus Nephropidae
Nov 1, 2010

When bread drinks milk,
it seems to get drunk.
Does the Pistol target painting thingy (the name escapes me at the moment) cause a loud noise even when using a silencer?

I used it to shoot the two elite guards in the airbase (with normal ammo) in Saudi Arabia and a few seconds later another guy came sprinting through the door, I had to run around a pillar to avoid him and used it again to take him out with a tranq dart. The first time there was a loud gunshot noise when the shots happened but the second time it was silent.

Was it just a glitch? Does the skill always trigger a noise? Does it depend on the ammo?

The game is pretty cool though, I just need to realise that it isn't the kind of stealth game where getting caught means game over. I'm speccing into Pistol and Stealth and am playing as a Recruit. :)

Edit: Chain shot is what I'm talking about. I suppose they must have seen me for a split second before I used it or maybe there was a window nearby. I basically just need to get the always-on awareness, that should help with situations like this.

Soccus Nephropidae fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 28, 2011

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Soccus Nephropidae posted:

Does the Pistol target painting thingy (the name escapes me at the moment) cause a loud noise even when using a silencer?

I used it to shoot the two elite guards in the airbase (with normal ammo) in Saudi Arabia and a few seconds later another guy came sprinting through the door, I had to run around a pillar to avoid him and used it again to take him out with a tranq dart. The first time there was a loud gunshot noise when the shots happened but the second time it was silent.

Was it just a glitch? Does the skill always trigger a noise? Does it depend on the ammo?

The game is pretty cool though, I just need to realise that it isn't the kind of stealth game where getting caught means game over. I'm speccing into Pistol and Stealth and am playing as a Recruit. :)

A laser sight? No, that doesn't make your shots louder if that's what you mean. Did you take them both down with one shot or take one down in the view of another guard? If you don't take someone out with the first shot, they generally alert everyone in the immediate area. Also, double check to make sure you've actually got the silencer equipped right. I did one mission without it and couldn't figure out why I was alerting the guards. It turns out the pistol doesn't sound that different with or without the silencer.

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Soccus Nephropidae posted:

Was there a window or something metal close behind one of the guys heads? The skill doesn't actually make a noise in game terms, it's just a cool sound effect~.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

One weird glitch with chain shot is that certain plot elements don't get slowed down, like the time I was chasing a guy and tried to shoot him, but he sped off while me and everybody else was stuck in slow-mo. Or my favorite: when I activated chain shot while standing on some train tracks and a train plowed into me at full speed.

Soccus Nephropidae
Nov 1, 2010

When bread drinks milk,
it seems to get drunk.

vulgey posted:

Was there a window or something metal close behind one of the guys heads? The skill doesn't actually make a noise in game terms, it's just a cool sound effect~.

Yeah at first I thought it was just a cool effect, but then when the guy ran in I suspected it was maybe always loud for balance reasons (heh).

It was a stylish effect though, definitely can't wait to sink more AP into my pistol skills.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Is there a reason putting scopes or red dot sights onto your guns always result in the model having both a scope and a red dot sight attached? It looks pretty stupid and I'd imagine it would be pretty useless.

demons_souls
Jul 8, 2010

by Duchess Gummybuns
This game is bad. I regret paying $2 for it.

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

demons_souls posted:

This game is bad. I regret paying $2 for it.

:frogout: has never been more appropriate.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
I was wearing digital camouflage when Omen Deng pulls a gun on you in the subway station, and he said that I "got points for wearing camouflage", but I'd beset wear street clothes to blend in with the locals.

Wearing a different armor mod affected conversation.

thisfuckinggame.jpg

vvv Hahahahaha welp vvv

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 29, 2011

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

Airborne Viking posted:

I was wearing digital camouflage when Omen Deng pulls a gun on you in the subway station, and he said that I "got points for wearing camouflage", but I'd beset wear street clothes to blend in with the locals.

Wearing a different armor mod affected conversation.

thisfuckinggame.jpg

That dialogue is triggered by the base outfit (stealth/utility/tactical/civvies), I think. And no, Omen Deng isn't the only character who notices that sort of thing.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

I managed to trigger something I haven't seen before, nothing incredibly earth shaking but it was amusing. When you are getting training on how to throw grenades, I decided to gently caress around and throw a bunch of them through the window on the opposite side of the training course. I managed to destroy a camera with a flashbang and set off an alarm and Darcy complained about it :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This game is getting better and better. Just dealt with Sarkov. G22 contacted me while still pissed off about me gunning down Sis (that mission went perfectly until she ruined it), then turned them down to work with SIE. Lots of people surprised I went for knockouts through the throat and martial arts. I especially enjoyed the bluff check for getting in. I did it as a joke thinking there was no way "I'm supposed to be here no really" was going to work, but I guess appearance really is everything!

With SIE I like how if you try to use the "co-operate" dialogue on her she gets pissed off and so does Mina, but if you wait, she says literally the same thing and likes you more. My next playthrough is definitely going to be "Suave recruit with a bullet hose".

Does Mina always become your default handler after Saudi Arabia or is it based on friendship? And am I suppose to clear out each hub's mission set before moving on or mix it up as I feel like it? After leaving Saudi Arabia I've done nothing but Moscow, which works well enough but it feels like I'm supposed to be elsewhere at times too.

e: Also, if the enemy starts blocking nonstop is there any way to break through it or do you just back off, shoot them a little, then keep punching?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 29, 2011

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Mina always becomes your handler.

You are free to mix and match.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Does Mina always become your default handler after Saudi Arabia or is it based on friendship? And am I suppose to clear out each hub's mission set before moving on or mix it up as I feel like it? After leaving Saudi Arabia I've done nothing but Moscow, which works well enough but it feels like I'm supposed to be elsewhere at times too.

e: Also, if the enemy starts blocking nonstop is there any way to break through it or do you just back off, shoot them a little, then keep punching?

You can come and go as you please between the different operating theatres. There is one time sensitive mission in Moscow. If you leave after activating it and do a mission elsewhere, you will no longer be able to attempt it.

If you're starting to get blocked more you should probably up your martial arts skill some more. If you're getting constantly blocked, you can pause for a second and let them try to hit you and hit them back. You can hold on the melee button to do a jumping kick which knocks them back if you have enough martial arts skill. You could also try using Fury.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Just beat the game as the standard Stealthy/Pistol dude. The game thought I killed a bunch of Marines in a certain mission even though the stats screen showed I knocked everyone out with tranq darts.

Time for spastic Recruit with SMGs playthrough

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I had that same problem, apparently it's a bug that occurs if you head in through the secondary entrance instead of the primary one. I talked my way through and blam, no bug. Of course, I cheesed the convo since I was on veteran, but it was totally awesome to do so :v:

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
I regret buying this for $2, but only because I feel like I've cheated the developer somehow. Paying $2 for something this good is almost criminal.

Then again I've spent close to $100 on New Vegas so far, so I guess it all evens out in the end. :v:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Horns posted:

I regret buying this for $2, but only because I feel like I've cheated the developer somehow. Paying $2 for something this good is almost criminal.

Then again I've spent close to $100 on New Vegas so far, so I guess it all evens out in the end. :v:

Kinda creepy that I was all set to make this exact post...except for the 100 dollars on New Vegas part. ;) But yeah I downloaded it a couple night ago, finally got around to playing it last night and I actually thought the exact same thing; "Its borderline criminal I am getting this game for 2$."

And whoever gave the warning that the Saudi missions were a bit more comabt oriented that was a nice tip (I think it was actually an answer to someone who was complaining about that). I also am going the sneaky pistol guy route.

The highest compliment that I can give this game is that I havent had any desire to look at any walkthroughs. I dont have a lot of time to indulge my extensive gaming habit and as a result Im often impatient. So far with this game I'm perfectly content to just progress through on my own. That is how engaging I've found it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

vulturesrow posted:

The highest compliment that I can give this game is that I haven't had any desire to look at any walkthroughs. I dont have a lot of time to indulge my extensive gaming habit and as a result Im often impatient. So far with this game I'm perfectly content to just progress through on my own. That is how engaging I've found it.

I am EXACTLY that kind of person too :hfive: I think it's because there's no such thing as an 'optimal playthrough' where you need to collect the 100 Silver McGuffins for the Ubergun, or need to solve some Tower of Hanoi puzzle to progress; you know that you're gonna get to Point B, all that matters is how. And AP give you a lot of hows.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
Alpha Protocol gives you the means to reach 4AM without realizing in many different ways, it's up to you to work this out and say the three magical words. This loving game. :arghfist:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CommissarMega posted:

I am EXACTLY that kind of person too :hfive: I think it's because there's no such thing as an 'optimal playthrough' where you need to collect the 100 Silver McGuffins for the Ubergun, or need to solve some Tower of Hanoi puzzle to progress; you know that you're gonna get to Point B, all that matters is how. And AP give you a lot of hows.

I like how you can set yourself up for success on certain missions but by doing so potentially gently caress yourself over down the road. With Grigori, for example, the game mentions that because I was professional, he would probably tip someone else off about me being there. Then when doing the hit on Dmitri SIE said hello and that she knew I was coming. I'm willing to bet that wouldn't have happened in that way if I had done something differently.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

RBA Starblade posted:

I like how you can set yourself up for success on certain missions but by doing so potentially gently caress yourself over down the road. With Grigori, for example, the game mentions that because I was professional, he would probably tip someone else off about me being there. Then when doing the hit on Dmitri SIE said hello and that she knew I was coming. I'm willing to bet that wouldn't have happened in that way if I had done something differently.

Actually, it's Surkov he tips off. If you're an utter oval office to Grigori, headslam and all, and you then show up to Surkov being all professional, he's confused because you're different from what his sources tell him.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Exercu posted:

Actually, it's Surkov he tips off. If you're an utter oval office to Grigori, headslam and all, and you then show up to Surkov being all professional, he's confused because you're different from what his sources tell him.

He tells SIE too either directly or indirectly. She mentions him when you first meet her if he tipped her off. If you haven't met with Grigori first or use the suave options in the conversation, she won't know you were coming. If Moscow is your first area and Grigori hasn't tipped her off, she won't have any idea who you are. She'll figure out who you are if you've done missions elsewhere. If you've met Marburg first, her starting reputation will be affected depending on what Marburg thinks of you.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I want CD Projekt, of The Witcher fame, and Obsidian to get together and make something together. Seriously. :saddowns:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Just had (Moscow spoilers) Brayko come visit Surkov with me. Every other playthrough he has just disappeared after giving his kickin' rad stereo system to me, but this time he just appeared out of the blue and killed Championchik and Surkov when I went after them. This loving game. :allears:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Torsade de Pointes posted:

He tells SIE too either directly or indirectly. She mentions him when you first meet her if he tipped her off. If you haven't met with Grigori first or use the suave options in the conversation, she won't know you were coming. If Moscow is your first area and Grigori hasn't tipped her off, she won't have any idea who you are. She'll figure out who you are if you've done missions elsewhere. If you've met Marburg first, her starting reputation will be affected depending on what Marburg thinks of you.

And all those variables only exist to alter a less-than-two-minute dialogue.

This should've been on the back of the box.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I am having a lot of trouble with the coke head guy with the knives. I use pistols but no matter what I do I get nailed with the attacks plus the additional guards don't help things.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Meowbot posted:

I am having a lot of trouble with the coke head guy with the knives. I use pistols but no matter what I do I get nailed with the attacks plus the additional guards don't help things.

when he cokes up, sprint the gently caress away. There's literally nothing you can do to slow him in his pace, so keep running until he falls over all of a sudden

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Meowbot posted:

Dealing with the boss himself (Moscow spoilers): When he cokes up, sprint (don't just jog) away from him - just run in circles around the room and he shouldn't be able to catch up. Don't bother attacking while he's like this, he's nearly invincible.

Once he comes down he'll vanish for a bit; use this opportunity to pick off his minions.

Making the fight easier (Moscow+Taipei spoilers): visit Taipei first and make contact with someone there who can help out in the fight by poisoning the coke.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

I feel pretty terrible at this game. My stealthiness is for poo poo, I trigger alarms and have to shoot my way out of situations, I get fooled by the stupid hacking minigame and hit the wrong buttons, and the cool skills I have I forget to use because the control layout on PC is wonky.

I just finished dealing with Nasri the gunrunner and headed off to the airfield as my second mission. I flubbed some stealth thing immediately and shot the guard to poo poo, ran like hell across the open ground so I could tour the area because obviously I was going to have to reload, hopped up on a tower, popped some more guards, ducked down and CHECKPOINT REACHED. Wait, what? Guards are dead, alarms have been disabled, I'm proceeding with the mission and am still getting encouraging updates from my handler rather than a giant YOU SUCK: MISSION FAILED message. What the hell is going on?

Where is the ticking clock warning me that I have 0.03 seconds to complete my quest? Where's the stern voiceover telling me that the free world has fallen because I didn't perfectly execute some stealth roll that requires seven keystrokes at once? I.. I.. I'm a little afraid and a little excited. This game is teaching me to love again. To not be afraid to do things differently than other folks. Oh sure, it would be easier to stealth through but Alpha Protocol isn't going to judge me if I mess up once in a while. "Hey, we're all human just go and pop a few rounds into their faces if you like, I'll wait," it seems to say. :unsmith:

Alpha Protocol: stealth game therapy.

I think I'm going to put a few more points into my karate chop skill because this game doesn't hate me when I do things a little differently.

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Make sure you don't have noisy armor if you are going sneaky. If you can't afford any then just wear your civilian clothes!

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
How does noise work? It seems very random. I could be sneaking up to a guy in tactical armor, and he won't notice, but then I could be sneaking around a building and someone on the floor beneath me goes "What was that noise?"

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Thundercracker posted:

How does noise work? It seems very random. I could be sneaking up to a guy in tactical armor, and he won't notice, but then I could be sneaking around a building and someone on the floor beneath me goes "What was that noise?"

From my masochistic 'no detection' playthrough all the guards constantly walk around going, "What's this." "What was that noise?" "Who's there." "Where'd he go." even when they've not been alerted. Otherwise no idea how noise actually works, sneaking with the tactical armor just means being fast for takedowns cause they'll start turning around once you get in range to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

CuddleChunks posted:

Alpha Protocol: stealth game therapy.

I felt the same way, the first time I accidentally alerted someone and I was actually able to kill him and not get shot to pieces within two seconds. I have very bad memories of the Metal Gear Solid games and have never beaten any of them, so this game is like treasure to a casual stealther who likes to sneak around if I feel like it, but I don't have to worry about infinitely respawning guards and only starting with a pack of cigarettes.

• Locked thread