Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

8th-samurai posted:

Ugh, my miata has the worst right rear tire luck. Six months ago I hit a pot hole and destroyed it. This morning my girlfriend left the house for school only to discover a screw in it. Thank gently caress for road hazard. Note changing tires while hung over is awful and I hate everything right now.

I got a call the day after my 21st birthday to help some girls change a tire, I told them I felt horrible and so they said they'd call someone else. Five minutes later my buddy called and asked if I would go help him change a tire. :suicide:

Also, selling my 94 turbo I've decided. Kind of sad that I never got to do a track day with it since turbo'd, but I need to get on with other priorities. :( It's in the for sale thread if any of you limp wrists are interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Grayham posted:

If they last longer than Azenis RT-615 on my previous Miata — about 11k miles — I'll be happy.

Wow, guess I haven't driven it as much as I thought. Only got about 6k on mine but they look like they have 50% left in them. I do drive very aggressively though.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
The driver side seat heater in my '09 has gone on the blink and turns on while the dial is set to 0. Maybe the passenger side too, I haven't tested it. I'm going to have it looked at ASAP, but am curious if anyone else has seen this?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Ask m.net; they can be resourceful at times.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
who needs a heater for ~~~~topless motoring~~~~

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
It's nice when toplessmotoring continues into sub-freezing temperatures.

If it's not raining or snowing, the top is down.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Heh, goons affording a NC Miata. Not for another 10 years bub.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.
Hey guys, I have a few small questions. I'm completely new to Miatas, so I don't know if what I am experiencing are just Miata quirks, or real mechanical problems. I'm assuming the latter.

1. My parking brake light has now decided to stay on at times, though I've found unintentionally hitting one of these incredible Oakland/SF potholes makes the light go out. Is this a common occurrence with the more, lets say "tired" examples of NAs? I haven't dug around down there yet, and I'm sure (I hope) it's just a case of a worn out little part or a sticky whatsamajigger. Anyone had this happen?

2. Case of the leaky exhaust manifold:
When I first bought the car, I ran a Seafoam treatment on it just because, well, I was bored and only had a few hours and wanted to go out and stand next to my car. Look busy around it, you know the deal. Anyways, I ran some Seafoam through the through the BB vacuum line, and while I was treated to the most awesome plume out the rear end end of the car, I also got a facefull of white smoke coming out from the what LOOKED TO BE the seam between the head and exhaust manifold.
poo poo, I said.
I assumed it was the exhaust manifold gasket, so I went and bought me another and installed it, torqued it down to spec with my dad's fancy torque wrench, and ran seafoam again just to double check. Sure enough, white smoke was still puffing into the engine bay. The gasket seat on the head looked nice, smooth and without discoloration, though I wasn't able to see the face of the exhaust manifold itself - so I guess that is a big question mark.

I'll check lower down the exhaust (which I suspect may be fairly hodge-podge), but does this sound familiar to anyone, or like any common symptom?

3. 1.6 '92 engine into a 510. Why? Because they are great little engines, they are everywhere, they are cheap, and they have a hell of an aftermarket. Who cares if it isn't going to be the most rippin' 510 in the world - at least I'll be able to drive it reliably and have something that's a bit more unique than your standard KA or SR swap. My poor 510 has been without an engine ever since the rings on my Z20 block took a dump - and now I have access to a complete, rear-ended '92 Miata with 140k on the clock. I told my Dad that if we can getting back on the road, I'll let him use it as a daily driver - which is really all he wants out of it.

Is there any reason other than it won't have a billion turbo horsepowers, It is boring, Nissan already makes a such and such and a so and so, and 510s belong in museums? My Dad and I haven't done any measurements yet, but is there any real, objective or mechanical reason why this could never work? I expect problems with the crossmember, engine mounts, steering box, and possibly firewall, but those are just your garden variety hurdles in the path to swapping in a modern engine into a 510. Anything seem really spooky about this?

If you made it through this whole post, I applaud you and apologize.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

televiper posted:

The driver side seat heater in my '09 has gone on the blink and turns on while the dial is set to 0. Maybe the passenger side too, I haven't tested it. I'm going to have it looked at ASAP, but am curious if anyone else has seen this?

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=427580&highlight=seat+heater+warmer
This thread has a wiring diagram for the heated seats, might be helpful.
I thought my 2011 was doing the same thing yesterday, but I just forgot to turn the heater off.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

FatCow posted:

Heh, goons affording a NC Miata. Not for another 10 years bub.

Why would you want anything other than an NA in the first place?

Solosilent
Dec 16, 2005
Is anyone here running megasquirt on their Miata? Specifically MS2? I built a MS2 this winter/spring and am finally getting around to trying to run the car on it in anticipation of boosting it. I'm currently waiting on a connector so I can plug the megasquirt into the factory ECU connectors and not ruin my chances of putting the stock ECU back in when this inevitably doesn't work. But if anyone has experience with it, would you mind answering some questions when I break it in the next couple weeks? :buddy:

P.s. It's a stock 95 miata if that makes any difference. Not sure how different the setup is versus the 1.6 or the later VVT 1.8s.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Grayham posted:

If they last longer than Azenis RT-615 on my previous Miata — about 11k miles — I'll be happy.

I think I'll be switching to Star Specs next season too. I've been really happy with my RT-615 and RT-615-Ks and everyone is telling these are better. Can't wait.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

ursa_minor posted:

Hey guys, I have a few small questions. I'm completely new to Miatas, so I don't know if what I am experiencing are just Miata quirks, or real mechanical problems. I'm assuming the latter.

1. My parking brake light has now decided to stay on at times, though I've found unintentionally hitting one of these incredible Oakland/SF potholes makes the light go out. Is this a common occurrence with the more, lets say "tired" examples of NAs? I haven't dug around down there yet, and I'm sure (I hope) it's just a case of a worn out little part or a sticky whatsamajigger. Anyone had this happen?

If you made it through this whole post, I applaud you and apologize.

Check your brake fluid level, there is a magnetic switch that illuminates the light when the level gets too low. The parking brake switch could also be working incorrectly.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Solosilent posted:

Is anyone here running megasquirt on their Miata? Specifically MS2? I built a MS2 this winter/spring and am finally getting around to trying to run the car on it in anticipation of boosting it. I'm currently waiting on a connector so I can plug the megasquirt into the factory ECU connectors and not ruin my chances of putting the stock ECU back in when this inevitably doesn't work. But if anyone has experience with it, would you mind answering some questions when I break it in the next couple weeks? :buddy:

P.s. It's a stock 95 miata if that makes any difference. Not sure how different the setup is versus the 1.6 or the later VVT 1.8s.
I'm running a DIYPNP but that's pretty much your problem solved in a box :v. But yeah, I'm here, I have a 1.6 but slight wiring differences aside, the settings in Tunerstudio are pretty much the same.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

DJ Commie posted:

Check your brake fluid level, there is a magnetic switch that illuminates the light when the level gets too low. The parking brake switch could also be working incorrectly.

Laff, this would make sense as to why my parking brake light comes on during hard cornering.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Phone posted:

Laff, this would make sense as to why my parking brake light comes on during hard cornering.
Gonna post this on m.net as DIY G-sensor mod, complete with empirical testing.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Solosilent posted:

Feel free to ping me on AIM. I have a 2001 VVT motor in a 97 shell running off a MS3.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Also running MS2 on my 94 turbo. Get a base map, a wideband, and get a registered version of Tunerstudio. It's pretty easy at that point.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Came out of work tonight, to find my 95M in the lot with the top down(like I've left it every day it's been nice enough to drive with the top down for the entire time I've owned the car), and find my old, worn out, cracked, hard, leather seats slashed across the bottom and up the backs. I'll see if I can get it to show up in pictures in the morning.

I'd be more upset about it if the seats(at least the driver's seat) weren't already trashed from being old and never cared for. I'm pretty sure I know who it was, but with no proof am left with no recourse. Tomorrow is my last day at this lovely job, it figures something would happen when I won't have the money to fix it for months(years? I'm going back to school, gently caress this wage-slave bullshit).

edit: on the subject, any recommendations on getting cloth seats that match the tan of the 95M interior for cheap?

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Sep 30, 2011

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Drove off without screwing on the gas cap or closing the little door.. realized a couple minutes down the road. Went back where I found it on the road squished :( I checked autozone's website, but they didn't have any caps on their website for my 94.

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

Got a cap from the dealer when I did something equally stupid, I think it was about $35.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
did something similar in a toyota years ago, try local auto parts stores they usually have something sitting around.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

beatdown posted:

Got a cap from the dealer when I did something equally stupid, I think it was about $35.

The one they gave me was too tall and dented my gas cap. :saddowns:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Russian Bear posted:

Drove off without screwing on the gas cap or closing the little door.. realized a couple minutes down the road. Went back where I found it on the road squished :( I checked autozone's website, but they didn't have any caps on their website for my 94.
Happened to me last year. I just bought one that was pulled from a car for $10 on ebay. Seemed like the most economical and practical thing to do.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Well at least you didn't do it with your oil cap and spray oil all over your hood and engine. :downs:

Edit: Twice. Two oil changes in a row. :downs::downs:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I called auto zone and they don't have that part available at all, strange. Napa has one but it's only for a 96, it should work on a 94 right?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I'd be surprised if they weren't the same for all NAs. But can't say for sure.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
My NA's headlights went up in smoke this week!

Basically, this happened to me.

quote:

Here's the deal - at first the driver's side headlight would randomly go dim, with the right staying bright. Then they would switch, right dim, left ok. Everytime this happened, the high beam indicator light on the instrument panel would SLIGHTLY light up. This was all with the headlight switch in the low beam pos. All other external lights were working - the barn doors go up and down normally.

Just tonight as I was driving home, both headlight went out. They don't work in either the high beam or low beam pos, and now the high beam indicator light on the dash in FULLY on. That light remains on regardless of the headlight switch position. All other external lights and barn doors are ok.

The sockets are ruined; both sides are charred and melted around the earth connector. Mmm, phenolic.

I hooked up a voltmeter between the block and the earth on the lights and I think i've found the cause. The earth block on the right-hand-side of the engine bay is all greeny and corroded inside, and the voltage drop on the headlight earth is all over the place when I wiggled a few of the wires going into it. For the time being I found the headlight ground and slipped it under the earth bolt with a ring connector.

Two things:
1. Using ring connectors is ugly and bodgy - is there a replacement earth block that people use for this situation? Perhaps something common that people use for kitcars or engine swaps? Am I missing a really simple trick here? :)

2. I need to replace the lightbulb sockets. I bought some of the simple H4 pigtail ones from my local car parts place, but on the car, one of the wires to the bulb is twice the thickness of the others.

I'm certainly not going to crimp on a smaller thickness pigtail to the car's loom - does anyone know if the ceramic "heavy duty" sockets have thicker wire tails?

Now it's autumn here the light in the evenings has basically disappeared. I'll end up calling out an auto electrician to work at this rate... :o:

Piano posted:

I'd be surprised if they weren't the same for all NAs. But can't say for sure.

My Eunos' looks like a bright orange mushroom.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
gently caress. life.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Phone posted:

gently caress. life.

Dang :(

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

Nodoze posted:

Dang :(

WELP;

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Does this look like a deal?

http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/2616902275.html

It is priced more reasonably and appears to be in better shape than any other NA listed in Omaha.

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

Its still maybe a little high for a 93, but if its as clean as it looks I would go for it, hard tops, as you probably know, are worth quite a bit. Though the wheels are wrong, so you might be a little weary of that. Heavy wheels and NA6's don't get along well. Daisies are pretty cheap though if you would want to return it to stock.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
He would need the 14x5.5 BBS wheels to make it back to stock.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
To follow up on my problem: tensioner and idler bolts aren't to blame. I don't have a long enough breaker bar to break the crank pulley. God drat it.

e: oil pump bolt. :toot:

Phone fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 1, 2011

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IApCp2Pl8k

Simple rear end foo :smith:

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

destructo posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IApCp2Pl8k

Simple rear end foo :smith:

I-own't give a gently caress!

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Came out of work tonight, to find my 95M in the lot with the top down(like I've left it every day it's been nice enough to drive with the top down for the entire time I've owned the car), and find my old, worn out, cracked, hard, leather seats slashed across the bottom and up the backs. I'll see if I can get it to show up in pictures in the morning.

I'd be more upset about it if the seats(at least the driver's seat) weren't already trashed from being old and never cared for. I'm pretty sure I know who it was, but with no proof am left with no recourse. Tomorrow is my last day at this lovely job, it figures something would happen when I won't have the money to fix it for months(years? I'm going back to school, gently caress this wage-slave bullshit).

edit: on the subject, any recommendations on getting cloth seats that match the tan of the 95M interior for cheap?

Sorry about the iphone shots. Like I said, the seat was trash(The seat was like that when I got the car) anyway, but it's still depressing to see every time I go out to my car.

edit: no idea why the attached image turned sideways, they did both sides the same way, but cut farther up the back of the passenger seat.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 1, 2011

Adora Lipwig
Nov 27, 2008
Question:

I just got my Miata back after it had been in the shop for a month. Since half of my car is new, I'd love to replace my blown out Bose speakers. Since I'm your stereotypical girl who doesn't know about cars and other technology, I went to Best Buy for help but they didn't have any speakers that would work with my car.

My car is a 2003 LS. Does anyone here know what speakers (and/or subwoofer (?)) I could use for it? I don't really want to get the same exact speakers since Bose is kind of crappy and my newer stereo blew them out pretty quickly...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Sorry about the iphone shots. Like I said, the seat was trash(The seat was like that when I got the car) anyway, but it's still depressing to see every time I go out to my car.

edit: no idea why the attached image turned sideways, they did both sides the same way, but cut farther up the back of the passenger seat.

Some people. Man, I'm sorry this happened to you. I would have liked to have caught the fucker in the act. Did you piss someone off? Or was this at random? I usually don't get violently upset about things, especially regarding material goods - but I know for goddamned certain that I'd go full on Brock Sampson on someone like this.