Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I enjoyed that even when I "hosed up" by setting off an alarm, or stumbling into a guard and having to shoot him I rarely ever felt like I'd screwed up my mission. Maybe it would be harder, or I'd have to pass up an opportunity but I was still going to get through it. Remarkable flexibility, and a strange mix of not only not punishing the player but constantly dribbling interesting little side missions for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Picked up this game in the steam sale and I'm loving it. Running as a pretty standard stealth pistol guy, but I find myself putting a lot of points in martial arts.

Even though I know it's a terrible strategy, I can ever resist activating fury and kung fuing Brayko when he cokes up.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Hahahah I'm still in the honeymoon phase of this game and though there have been some weird camera glitches, it hasn't been too buggy yet. Still, I'm only in the early Saudi missions and haven't seen much of the game yet.

My beard protects me. Enemies fear it. Ladies want to be near it. It's the ultimate weapon in my secret agent arsenal.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Exercu posted:

when he cokes up, sprint the gently caress away. There's literally nothing you can do to slow him in his pace, so keep running until he falls over all of a sudden

Wow I didn't know that! I just thought you had to fight him. Thanks I think i'll go back to playing this tonight to see if I can get past it knowing this. I feel kinda stupid though.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
If you're finding him difficult, try literally run away and jump onto the stage and back down again. He will run around the sides using the stairs and you can create a loop until he stops and starts panting. Shoot him in the face, his chintzy earring or whatever you can aim your guns on.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Kin posted:

Actually it wasn't. The consensus and solution was to tweak the deadzone in the options of motioninjoy. The ability to press the triggers had gently caress all to do with it and trigger extensions are useless for the problem.

edit: also PS3 controller's don't "suck rear end".

Yes they do. They are tiny, flimsy little things with a retarded plug and charge cord that gets lost all the time. My buddy's PS3 is used as a bluray player because neither of us can stand to use that controller.

I'm not being a console warrior, there are a lot of things I like about the PS3, but the controller is one of the weakest aspects of that system.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Soonmot posted:

Yes they do. They are tiny, flimsy little things with a retarded plug and charge cord that gets lost all the time. My buddy's PS3 is used as a bluray player because neither of us can stand to use that controller.

I'm not being a console warrior, there are a lot of things I like about the PS3, but the controller is one of the weakest aspects of that system.

It's definitely the issue Sony needs to work on most in my opinion. Back when it was the Xbox S controller versus the dualshock it was how terrible I felt the dualshock was that lead me to getting an Xbox, and the few times I've spent with a PS3 it seems like it's only barely improved.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
The nice thing about failing stealth sometimes is that you can view it as an excuse to use all those cool gadgets that you'll never use in a stealth/pistols game.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
I just now noticed the "orphans created" stat on the mission completion screen. The fact that the game tracks such a thing made me laugh at first, and then I just got kinda bummed out by the realization that I've ruined the lives of 42 virtual children so far (and I'm not even finished with the Saudi missions yet). I can't remember the last time a game actually made me stop for a second and think about my actions in such a way, and all it took was a single number at the bottom of a stats page that I could have just as easily played through the whole game without ever seeing.

I'm loving this game more and more by the minute, goddamn. :allears:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Horns posted:

I just now noticed the "orphans created" stat on the mission completion screen. The fact that the game tracks such a thing made me laugh at first, and then I just got kinda bummed out by the realization that I've ruined the lives of 42 virtual children so far (and I'm not even finished with the Saudi missions yet). I can't remember the last time a game actually made me stop for a second and think about my actions in such a way, and all it took was a single number at the bottom of a stats page that I could have just as easily played through the whole game without ever seeing.

I'm loving this game more and more by the minute, goddamn. :allears:

As pointed out, the amount of orphans created vary from demographic to demographic. Arabs have the highest number per militant killed while some US agents don't have children.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I've only not stealthed through the game once out of my 4 play throughs. I don't seem to have the problems that a lot of you are having. Remember that the gaurds don't have JUST visual detector cones they can also hear you if you walk or wear combat gear just like in the thief games.

I never get caught stealthing, but I use stealth gear and the digital camo upgrade that shortens the gaurds cones. I swear any of you getting caught must not be sneaking around in stealth gear or are trying to walk/run.

Also some people earlier said that Silent Running doesn't keep sprinting quiet but I just tried it in game about 6 times and each time I was able to run up to the dudes and knee smash them in the back of the head without them noticing. I'm not trying to say I'm king poo poo of AP, but just look at what you are doing if you are getting caught because it's not the game.

One last thing, I don't get the gaurds saying "what's thtat?" unless I'm walking and not crouched down (sneaking). If you take even one step in the standing position that can give you away (which is weird since you can drop from ledges without being heard and go hrrrrumph when you fall).

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
Stealth in casual clothes every mission for that do-or-die challenge.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I can't believe I actually have to upgrade my martial arts. Guards are seriously starting to beat rear end. I feel like I was the king poo poo of surburbia in Saudi Arabia, and then they dropped me in some Bedstuy projects.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Thundercracker posted:

I can't believe I actually have to upgrade my martial arts. Guards are seriously starting to beat rear end. I feel like I was the king poo poo of surburbia in Saudi Arabia, and then they dropped me in some Bedstuy projects.

You just need the magic of flying knee kick thing :allears: I love that ability so much, and it enables stomping on people's nuts.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

You just need the magic of flying knee kick thing :allears: I love that ability so much, and it enables stomping on people's nuts.

I remember when I first used it, completely on accident, in Marburg's mansion when he leaves you at the mercy of two thugs to beat you up. I just ran right up to them and took one out with the flying knee-kick/stomp combo while the other one stood there sorta flabbergasted until I beat him down as well. :black101:

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

It's ridiculous how effective a martial arts Thorton is. There's literally only three foes in the game that cannot be taken out with copious amounts of "apply force to forehead", and two of those aren't going to die from your regular weapons anyway.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Angry_Ed posted:

I remember when I first used it, completely on accident, in Marburg's mansion when he leaves you at the mercy of two thugs to beat you up. I just ran right up to them and took one out with the flying knee-kick/stomp combo while the other one stood there sorta flabbergasted until I beat him down as well. :black101:

I only discovered it in my second play through during Saudia arabia, and aside from boss fights the next time I used a gun was in Greybox.

It really is the best.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
I screwed up and didn't pick martial arts as an advanced class choice.

My Thorton is a pistol/stealth/tech build, but I was really hoping for that high level martial arts ability that lets you kick a dude's rear end and then shove a pistol into him and pull the trigger for the kill. Oh well....maybe for my veteran after I do a recruit SMG and Shotgun only loud run.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Martial arts influences certain cutscenes by the way. Much more effective and flashy looking moves.

Obsidian. :allears:

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
One of Obsidian's projects is apparently based on an animation franchise. Just wanted so say it here in the unlikely possibility that it is based on Archer.

http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showtopic=58872&view=findpost&p=1145286

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

drat, the ending I ended up with certainly took me by surprise.
I finished the bossfight, but spared Leland, he tried to get Marburg to kill me, but he just left, then Scarlet showed up and shot me, (I had no prior indication that she was the assassin) I shrugged it off after about a minute, and then she killed Leland. Leaving me to drive my boat into the sunset, completely alone.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I've been playing as Macho Man Randy Thorton, and this is how I've solved every single problem so far.

OH YEAH!

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

poptart_fairy posted:

Martial arts influences certain cutscenes by the way. Much more effective and flashy looking moves.

Are you bragging about your gold medal in martial arts again? Wasn't it in target shooting? Oh wait, I remember. It was in dying.

I pre-ordered this shizzle and still gifted it twice to friends of mine; once at $15 and again at the recent $2 sale. Everyone loved it when they got a chance and I'm glad a new round of folks are enjoying it too. Keep experimenting and posting the this.loving.game responses. Obsidian needs the love.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Amorphous Blob posted:

I've been playing as Macho Man Randy Thorton, and this is how I've solved every single problem so far.

OH YEAH!

I'm having trouble wondering if you're dropping a tiger knee on a G22 guy at the Russian trainyard (because that looks like rails behind you) in which how the hell did he get there OR if that's the tarmac delivery area at the very end of the Taipei warehouse mission (in which those are stairs).

Yeah, I need to stop playing alpha protocol. :suicide:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

X_Toad posted:

One of Obsidian's projects is apparently based on an animation franchise. Just wanted so say it here in the unlikely possibility that it is based on Archer.

http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showtopic=58872&view=findpost&p=1145286

Clearly gonna be Epic Mickey 2.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
While Epic Mickey 2 does sound right, I'm hoping with all of my hope that it'll be based on something like Ghost in the Shell that fits their style better.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

WickedIcon posted:

While Epic Mickey 2 does sound right, I'm hoping with all of my hope that it'll be based on something like Ghost in the Shell that fits their style better.

Ika Musume :v:

But really, they could release a My Life Me game and I'd play the gently caress out of it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

From the sound of it the game is actually 2D - they've been snapping up 2D animators for awhile. Stands to reason it's an XBLA- / PSN-type game. I don't hold out much hope of a proper AP sequel but I think they could get away with a smaller-scale indie-style RPG. Obsidian does own the rights.

Wouldn't Junction Point be on an Epic Mickey sequel anyway? Why outsource when you've still got the creators in-house?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Exercu posted:

It's ridiculous how effective a martial arts Thorton is. There's literally only three foes in the game that cannot be taken out with copious amounts of "apply force to forehead", and two of those aren't going to die from your regular weapons anyway.

I remember just running up to Marburg, who is mentioned as being a tough melee fighter, and just beating the living crap out of him. Cue the cutscene where he's suddenly hiding behind a pillar shooting at me and fleeing :downs:

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Wait, seriously? Which ones and at what levels of the skill?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Satanos posted:

Wait, seriously? Which ones and at what levels of the skill?

I'm not sure of the level needed, but the ones I can remember are killing Shaheed's Lieutenant and attacking Leland in the interrogation room. They become a flying kick thing and fullblown headslam rather than a choke and punch.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
I think I've always done the first one of those regardless of martial arts level.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
The first one depends on whether you manage to sneak up on the Lieutenant unseen or not.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Role Play McMurphy posted:

I think I've always done the first one of those regardless of martial arts level.
When you sneak up on him, yeah. Maybe it's different when you defeat him in a full-on brawl?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Are you meant to be confused about the plot toward the end? I'm back in Alpha Protocol, having given myself up and I still don't really know what's going on. I'm not a moron, I just feel a vague sense of confusion over the whole Halbech thing.

e: Leland's secret fact cleared things up quite a bit

Scratch that, I no longer have a clue what the gently caress is happening. What's Parker doing for me? Why? Did I turn him against Halbech? AND I reckon I've missed saving Scarlet and Mina without realising it.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 1, 2011

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Walton Simons posted:

Are you meant to be confused about the plot toward the end? I'm back in Alpha Protocol, having given myself up and I still don't really know what's going on. I'm not a moron, I just feel a vague sense of confusion over the whole Halbech thing.

e: Leland's secret fact cleared things up quite a bit

One thing I do like about this game is that you don't get the full conspiracy in one playthrough. Literally everyone in the game has a hidden agenda or some sort of secret. So yeah, there's going to be a lot of loose ends and stuff that doesn't quite come together, because everybody's been lying to you to get you to do their dirty work.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Fair enough, I can't see me playing it twice, though I have enjoyed it, I'll read up on what could have happened if I'd played differently though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I love how one of the emails you can send Steven Heck is a section from TIMECUBE, and how you can in Taipei bluff G22 into helping you if you notice they only found five of your bugs. My favorite part of this game is that it doesn't really hold your hand or go out of its way to inform you of anything, but it's all there. You either pick up what's happening and go from there or stumble through and see if it works out.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Finished it and enjoyed it, read some reviews and can't believe the reception it got. The combat is a bit wonky, granted, and Thorton really doesn't like taking cover sometimes but it's not a bad game by any standards.

Destructoid gave it 2/10 for gently caress's sake.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Walton Simons posted:

Destructoid gave it 2/10 for gently caress's sake.

To be fair Jim Sterling gave it a 2/10 and everything he writes is an attempt to be controversial to drive up page views.

• Locked thread