Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

NiceAaron posted:

What the hell? That person is obviously loving with you, why is everyone buying it?

Griefing is the journey not the destination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

NiceAaron posted:

What the hell? That person is obviously loving with you, why is everyone buying it?

Because it's hilarious whether s/he was actually telling the truth or just doing their own griefing.

Hungryjack posted:

Griefing is the journey not the destination.

Haha, how zen.

Corbeau posted:

Griefing and trolling are venerable technologies of revealing. Such activity is yet another way in which we navigate and chart the complex eddies of social creations. The strong institutions survive due to the support of the people. The weak are laid bare as racist 13 year olds on XBOX Live. Remember, even Socrates had his mic - and willingly took the banhammer for his principles.

We should all aspire to such examples of moral rigor. :patriot:

holy poo poo :golfclap:

Slappy Moose fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 5, 2011

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Griefing and trolling are venerable technologies of revealing. Such activity is yet another way in which we navigate and chart the complex eddies of social creations. The strong institutions survive due to the support of the people. The weak are laid bare as racist 13 year olds on XBOX Live. Remember, even Socrates had his mic - and willingly took the banhammer for his principles.

We should all aspire to such examples of moral rigor. :patriot:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
If that is trolling/counter-briefing, that is convincing as poo poo. I don't think I'd have thought of it. Tell her you're sorry and hope she'll get a better new boyfriend that isn't homophobic. And that it is better this way.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Mordaedil posted:

If that is trolling/counter-briefing, that is convincing as poo poo. I don't think I'd have thought of it. Tell her you're sorry and hope she'll get a better new boyfriend that isn't homophobic. And that it is better this way.

Of course the question is: why is she still sending messages from her boyfriend's account after she broke up with him?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Wild T posted:

Of course the question is: why is she still sending messages from her boyfriend's account after she broke up with him?

She didn't say it was his account, but Dylan Grant is a very rare name for a girl.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
I've been following team aVo for a long time now and this has to be one of the best minecraft hacks I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3IUONiBd5E

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day

floor is lava posted:

I've been following team aVo for a long time now and this has to be one of the best minecraft hacks I've seen.

Ahahahahaha.

Notch is the master of secure netcode.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

floor is lava posted:

See, usually I'd class hacks as a lovely way of griefing, but this actually rocks.

Actually anything you can do to piss off minecraft players is pretty boss.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Slime posted:

See, usually I'd class hacks as a lovely way of griefing, but this actually rocks.

Actually anything you can do to piss off minecraft players is pretty boss.

I tend to think that most forms of griefing in minecraft aren't very interesting because it amounts to :buddy: "I knocked down your sandcastle!"

That video, however, is pretty neat because creating huge glitchy holes in the world is funny.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's a good reminder to always, ALWAYS back up your poo poo, every day.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
And watching them frantically planting trees where ugly buildings once stood appeals to my environmentally conscious side..

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Pakled posted:

I tend to think that most forms of griefing in minecraft aren't very interesting because it amounts to :buddy: "I knocked down your sandcastle!"

That video, however, is pretty neat because creating huge glitchy holes in the world is funny.

But when you take into account how many hours people invest in mining and painstakingly placing, arranging each block, you realize how many OCD sperglords there are to aggravate.

I play on a server where you aren't allowed to 'grief', meaning you can't break blocks in the structures others have built (unless you immediately replace them). This is a Survival server, so everything is self-mined and no TNT, fire, lava or water is allowed, unless a mod places it.

PVP is allowed(as is spawn camping), stealing items out of unlocked chests is fair game (you have to manually bind a chest to yourself, or assign a password) and there are no rules about building NEAR areas people have claimed.

I've got a few things i've been doing to piss people off, but am looking for some fresh ideas on how to aggravate the Redditor man-children on my server.

1. I like to scavenge unlocked chests. I'll wander the map, popping into houses and checking locks on chests. When I find an unlocked one, I'll take the good stuff (iron, diamonds, tools) and then lock that chest with a garbled password. This prevents the chest owner from getting back in it, and since chests are irremovable without mod intervention, they're stuck with a locked chest taking up 2 blocks in their base, wondering if maybe they just forgot the password to it, so they sit their plinking away fruitlessly trying to unlock a worthless chest.

2. Lava can only be placed by mods for decorative purposes. However, once placed, there are no rules against placing pistons (which can act as a flood gate, toggled by switch or button). My base has a huge tank of decorative lava with a piston rigged, so whenever I catch a hostile near my base or inside, they usually run or log out when they see my diamond sword. When they logout, all it takes is a quick piston switch flick, and a few dirt blocks placed to redirect the lava flow on the block they logged out on. When they log back in, they start on fire immediately, and 9/10 times die. Lava has the added bonus of burning any items that fall in it, so assuming the target is smart enough to move away whilst on fire, i'll drop their left over items into the blaze as a salute.

3. I've got some rude neighbors. I've been shot with arrows on the way to my tower, chased into my base while armor-less and found them rooting around in my treasure vault. Not good for business! In addition to using lava traps to torment them, i've started working on my next project. I'm building a giant arrow of red wool pointing straight to their base, so any PVPers who pass by the area will see a target they can't resist.

4. I haven't done this myself, but some guy on my server snuck into someone's base, and using the iron door and traps that the base's owner had put into place, effectively locked the owner out, perfectly abiding by the server rules. The owner had to pay a tax of 2 diamonds to access his own base, and i'm pretty sure the infiltrator murdered him and took everything upon granting him access to his house.

I love minecraft. Especially considering how awful the community this, I think its a vastly underutilized goldmine for griefing (no pun intended).

Quarterroys fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 5, 2011

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Thought of another one. I found out about some new 'No RULES PVP' server opening up on Reddit (lots of MC servers to choose from, community is generally bad but griefable), so my friend and I logged in on the first night it was up. We went straight for iron deposits to make as many buckets as we could get our hands on, found a lake of lava in a cavern, and filled our buckets up posthaste. We ran back up to the spawn area, and used some dirt that we had collected to make as many of the dreaded 'nerd-poles' as possible. For the unfamiliar, nerd-pole is the term for a single block tower stretching to the height limit, usually made from dirt or cobblestone- looks lovely, is pretty worthless and generally frowned upon, especially by OCD nerds.

Within 20 minutes, we had build 3 nerd poles each, and used some creative dirt placement to ensure that the lava we poured atop each nerd pole would spread significantly before falling to the ground. So now, blatantly visible from spawn sat 6 huge rear end pillars of cascading lava, ugly as sin. We crafted swords and and hid in the hills near the lava pillars, using the new sprint , jump and slash move to knock new players logging in into the lava. Pretty minor, juvenile poo poo.

The server admin for some reason turned the'Burning' option on. This is normally disabled on multiplayer servers, as any wood buildings, trees and leaves catch on fire easily and spread, creating wildfires and devastation (sadly not as fierce as they used to be). Within a few minutes, thanks to our lava pillars, every single tree within eyeshot of spawn was obliterated. Since trees are the first material you need to get or build anything of consequence, this is a huge hassle for new players. This also means that the first shelter one generally builds is near spawn and made of wood. There happened to be numerous wood shacks within lava range, too. Not for long.

I logged back in to that server two weeks later to hear people complaining about the lack of trees and ugly lava pillars.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Mordaedil posted:

It's a good reminder to always, ALWAYS back up your poo poo, every day.

Every 15 minutes if you're a minecraft server owner.

THE_Chris
Sep 18, 2008

Cervixalot posted:

But when you take into account how many hours people invest in mining and painstakingly placing, arranging each block, you realize how many OCD sperglords there are to aggravate.

I play on a server where you aren't allowed to 'grief', meaning you can't break blocks in the structures others have built (unless you immediately replace them). This is a Survival server, so everything is self-mined and no TNT, fire, lava or water is allowed, unless a mod places it.

PVP is allowed(as is spawn camping), stealing items out of unlocked chests is fair game (you have to manually bind a chest to yourself, or assign a password) and there are no rules about building NEAR areas people have claimed.

I've got a few things i've been doing to piss people off, but am looking for some fresh ideas on how to aggravate the Redditor man-children on my server.

1. I like to scavenge unlocked chests. I'll wander the map, popping into houses and checking locks on chests. When I find an unlocked one, I'll take the good stuff (iron, diamonds, tools) and then lock that chest with a garbled password. This prevents the chest owner from getting back in it, and since chests are irremovable without mod intervention, they're stuck with a locked chest taking up 2 blocks in their base, wondering if maybe they just forgot the password to it, so they sit their plinking away fruitlessly trying to unlock a worthless chest.

2. Lava can only be placed by mods for decorative purposes. However, once placed, there are no rules against placing pistons (which can act as a flood gate, toggled by switch or button). My base has a huge tank of decorative lava with a piston rigged, so whenever I catch a hostile near my base or inside, they usually run or log out when they see my diamond sword. When they logout, all it takes is a quick piston switch flick, and a few dirt blocks placed to redirect the lava flow on the block they logged out on. When they log back in, they start on fire immediately, and 9/10 times die. Lava has the added bonus of burning any items that fall in it, so assuming the target is smart enough to move away whilst on fire, i'll drop their left over items into the blaze as a salute.

3. I've got some rude neighbors. I've been shot with arrows on the way to my tower, chased into my base while armor-less and found them rooting around in my treasure vault. Not good for business! In addition to using lava traps to torment them, i've started working on my next project. I'm building a giant arrow of red wool pointing straight to their base, so any PVPers who pass by the area will see a target they can't resist.

4. I haven't done this myself, but some guy on my server snuck into someone's base, and using the iron door and traps that the base's owner had put into place, effectively locked the owner out, perfectly abiding by the server rules. The owner had to pay a tax of 2 diamonds to access his own base, and i'm pretty sure the infiltrator murdered him and took everything upon granting him access to his house.

I love minecraft. Especially considering how awful the community this, I think its a vastly underutilized goldmine for griefing (no pun intended).

I dont know much about Minecraft, but is there any way you can tunnel under the area that someone has claimed and come up into one of their rooms? Perferably with some of that lava?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

THE_Chris posted:

I dont know much about Minecraft, but is there any way you can tunnel under the area that someone has claimed and come up into one of their rooms? Perferably with some of that lava?

As far as sneaking into someone's place through digging- totally possible as long as I replaced the dirt or whatever material that I dug through. Unfortunately though, lava can only travel downhill, and only for a certain distance. I suppose i could build an island or structure above someone's base with a 'Don't push!' button that drops lava all over their structure instead, though.

I could also go with the SA Second Life standby of building really crappy, half-assed houses or exact duplicates with subtle changes next to impressive structures.

Speaking of Second Life, are goons still griefing there? Some of the best moments of this thread were taken from that the Goons of W-Hat on SL.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Cervixalot posted:

The thing is, that doesn't make them any more entertaining to read about.
There are plenty of fun and creative ways to grief in Minecraft, as has been demonstrated, but like Pakled said, the number of people who just try to break stuff and leave it at that prove how uninteresting that avenue is.

John T Scrungus
Oct 23, 2010

:confused:

Cervixalot posted:

As far as sneaking into someone's place through digging- totally possible as long as I replaced the dirt or whatever material that I dug through. Unfortunately though, lava can only travel downhill, and only for a certain distance. I suppose i could build an island or structure above someone's base with a 'Don't push!' button that drops lava all over their structure instead, though.

I could also go with the SA Second Life standby of building really crappy, half-assed houses or exact duplicates with subtle changes next to impressive structures.

Speaking of Second Life, are goons still griefing there? Some of the best moments of this thread were taken from that the Goons of W-Hat on SL.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3083860&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=37

The only time I've seen griefing recently was on the Garry's Mod youtube theater server I frequent. It's basically a movie theater you can walk around in and watch youtube videos with 12 year olds and My Little Pony fans.

They say on the opening message that you aren't allowed allowed to play stuff like shock videos, videos with nudity, etc. However, this rule is routinely broken by who I presume to be the admins to great effect. Everyone will almost always freak out and demand to know who requested the video in question.

Everyone can vote to skip a video that's playing or to shut it off locally but it seems like no one does either so it's the same reaction all the time. Why they don't do is beyond me. :iiam:

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Are there objectives in minecraft, ie is it a game? Or is the idea simply self satisfaction from building something cool, like lego

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

dud root posted:

Are there objectives in minecraft, ie is it a game? Or is the idea simply self satisfaction from building something cool, like lego

It's internet legos basically right now. They've sort of added in some of the "adventure" stuff, which will make it more "here's a goal, achieve it" for those who want to, but nothing right now is really an objective in the game.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

dud root posted:

Its digital, multiplayer lego really. Survival mode adds a few more video game elments, but at the end of the day its still about building/destroying giant penis statues.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Does hacking really count? It just seems incredibly uncreative to grief with whatever scripts you've dredged up from the internet. I don't know, I just look at those aVo games and think 'hey congrats you're a script kiddie' and nothing else

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

flatluigi posted:

Does hacking really count? It just seems incredibly uncreative to grief with whatever scripts you've dredged up from the internet. I don't know, I just look at those aVo games and think 'hey congrats you're a script kiddie' and nothing else

Krysk (one of the guys on their team) actually coded their client.

Also, this is far and away their best video; they tricked someone into giving them WorldEdit privileges:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKNGTsWCYmA

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It's pretty fun for a bit to build stuff in Minecraft, but it doesn't really last for too long unless you go muck around with Redstone, which you have to jump into reading wikipedia articles. Garry's Mod has cooler building anyway, because you can construct a wider variety of stuff and it's harder to lose everything you did.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 5, 2011

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

flatluigi posted:

If the end result is suficently funny, yes.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've watched Avolition's videos for a while and I think it'd be fun to play Minecraft with them. I don't feel like sucking up on their forums long enough to get a chance, so I guess I'll just watch their videos.

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
What the gently caress

Oh Long Johnson fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 11, 2012

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I mostly like the Avo videos because it's really neat to see how their hacking tools and methods are evolving.

The first video of theirs that I really liked is this one: http://youtu.be/wwQBPleDJpk

They barely have any hacks going other than a sneaking hack and a see through walls one, but they still manage to burn a city down around an active mod without getting caught and they do it in a pretty clever way.

But then again I saw it and liked it almost a year ago so I don't make any promises as to its quality today.

Sibling of TB fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 6, 2011

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
AVO is really hit-and-miss. Sometimes they make really awesome griefs, other times they just spend the whole video going around around with diamond tools smashing stuff.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah, they had a series of videos that basically amount to "hey we made our swing speed super fast and we're gonna delete this tower LOL" and it was really boring. That video where they're just sneaking around was amazing and after I saw it awhile back I subscribed to them, I don't even play Minecraft but it's fun to watch what they do.

The newest one was pretty great.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Just as a demonstration of how universally amusing good griefing can be, my wife who is not a a gamer at all asked me what I was laughing at and I showed her a couple of videos and she was absolutely dying. This thread has some absolutely amazingly funny stuff in it.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I thought this was worth a follow up. Apparently she's just some chick in LA who was in an abusive relationship and being told that her bf was a bigot was the last straw for her. Or something. If it's a long con it's a good one, but I can't fathom the end game.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

So if your trolling got her out of an abusive relationship, wouldn't that make you the worst griefer ever? You functionally made her life better.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Live out the goon dream and marry her, and mayhaps, touch a booby.

camgirl fangirl
Jan 17, 2008
EAT MORE
Just saw a banner ad for Habbo Hotel and it reminded me of this story from ~8 years ago. Don't know if it's a grief or a scam but whatever.

For those of you who don't know what Habbo Hotel is, it's basically a graphic chatroom. Each "Habbo" is given a room, basically an empty plot. People can come into your room and chat or whatever. I think a lot of cybersex went on in this game. It was very popular around 8-10 years ago. Anyway.

Now how do you make money with what's essentially a glorified chat client? Easy. You give people rooms, but you don't give them furniture. That's right. You had to pay to buy furniture for your gay habbo room. I think back then one credit was worth like 25c or something retarded like that. Most furniture cost around 3 credits or so.

Please keep in mind I was 10 Years Old during the rest of this story.

After arriving home from school one day, I decided to log onto Habbo Hotel. I hadn't been on in a while, and after a couple of tries, realized I had forgotten my password. I had it sent to my email with the lost password button, and I was off to go chat up other stupid pre-teens. Until I realized something. I hatched a plan.

I quickly made a new character, a black dude with an afro. I set up a bunch of locked, empty rooms and named them "storage1", "storage2", etc and started looking for a "trading shop", which is exactly what it sounds like. I got in and immediately went up to the front counter. The guy asked me what I wanted, and I told him that I was leaving for university. I wouldn't have time to play Habbo, and would he kindly take my furniture off my hands? He, of course, immediately opened a trade window. I closed it and told him to just take my account. I could see the pause as he opened up the room search to filter by my name, and I could practically see his face light up as he realized how "loaded" I was. He immediately started thanking me. I sent him my account details, and made sure to mention that I had already sent them to few other people, so he would have to be quick if he wanted it! He logged off, on his merry way to take my belongings.

20 minutes later his $20 worth of furniture was safely stashed away on my main account. You see, back then I guess companies weren't as smart abut passwords as they are nowadays (although my University still does this for some departments...) and they sent passwords in plaintext when you requested one. Point 2 of my plan relied on another factor: Habbo users are absolutely retarded and use the same password for everything. When they logged in to check out my empty rooms, they'd first immediately change the password, which is when I would request the password be sent to my email. Then, while they were admiring the bare space I would be on their character trading everything over to my main.

I ran a loving cartel with this poo poo. I had all my friends doing the poo poo grunt work: making new accounts and scamming marks, while I reaped the wealth. I think at my peak I had close to $1,000 worth in dumb online furniture. I lived like a king, having exorbitant contests in my rooms full of expensive furniture. This went on for months

I still remember the guy who got me banned. Simonraical was his username. I know because for whatever reason my ban reason was listed as "scamming other users (simonraical)". A quick google search reveals he's like a retarded 4chan user (edit: nvm a furry) or something now. Maybe his losing $20 worth of online furniture made him turn to the dark side, I dunno. Hey simonraical if you're reading this gently caress you. As far as I know, noone got any of their stuff back.

A few weeks later, Habbo changed the way the password recovery system worked. I like to think it was because of me.

tl;dr - I scammed a bunch of internet dudes out of virtual furniture you have to pay for

camgirl fangirl fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 6, 2011

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Might be a long con but it's more likely that she and her ex are both pretty sad people. Just go with the persona as long as you feel like and it's fun, but don't make it more than it is.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Zaodai posted:

So if your trolling got her out of an abusive relationship, wouldn't that make you the worst griefer ever? You functionally made her life better.

Pointing out how horrible bigots are is always a good grief. Them getting dumped by their girlfriend is a huge plus as well.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Pakled posted:

:buddy: "I knocked down your sandcastle!"

"I just deleted your sandcastle and planted this beautiful tree." :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Dizz posted:

"I just deleted your sandcastle and planted this beautiful tree." :smug:

"I just replaced your People's Temple with a Temple of Satan and turned the surrounding landscape into a hellhole with lava raining from the sky." :smug: :twisted:

• Locked thread