Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Apathy, check to make sure it's not leaking from the seal between the filler neck and the gas tank. It's fairly common to leak there and while a cheap fix, it involves dropping the tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
I stole this from the "you put WHAT on your car" thread:

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Not sure why it was in that thread, looks like a stock Boss 302 Laguna Seca to me.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
wrecked on a neighborhood street :doh:

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS
by some drunk showing off, as i understand it.

On the bright side, i may now be in the market for a slightly used boss 302 powertrain

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Heh, the dealer across the street from my apartment has a Laguna Seca in that same color scheme.
It's cool living across from a dealership because I can see the cars from my living room, but it also sucks because I can't afford them.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Cross posting autox poo poo; A Boss 302 showed up, I'm pretty sure the sidepipes were opened up but I didn't ask. I have a boring video of it slaloming but this sounds much better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv4_ijf0PPw

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Is the TracKey the only way you can open them, or is it that easy to do manually? Or via tune?

According to Jalopnik, Ford hasn't been able to actually sell the TracKeys cuz CA is holding them up in terms of CARB certification.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Is the TracKey the only way you can open them, or is it that easy to do manually? Or via tune?

According to Jalopnik, Ford hasn't been able to actually sell the TracKeys cuz CA is holding them up in terms of CARB certification.

It's just a little baffle in the pipe that comes out with two bolts.

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 27, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

frozenphil posted:

It's just a little baffle in the pipe that comes out with two bolts.

Right; you'd showed me that before, but I thought there was also some electronic component with the Boss? Can the TracKey tuning adjust for physically removing those baffles?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Right; you'd showed me that before, but I thought there was also some electronic component with the Boss?

Nope.

quote:

Can the TracKey tuning adjust for physically removing those baffles?

Not sure, but probably.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Took my V6 to the shop today thinking that I was gonna be swapping UCAs to take care of the clunking over bumps that I've been experiencing.

Turns out it was actually the sway bar links that were rattling around. $200 later and the noise is gone.

Interesting though that there's multiple causes for basically the same symptom yet only a TSB on one of em.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Mustang GT500 is getting a 5.8L engine, still supercharged.

quote:

Fans of large displacement and forced induction (isn't that everyone?) can officially rejoice today as the recently approved deal between Ford and the United Auto Workers has answered a question that's been on our minds ever since Chevrolet upped the horsepower ante with its Camaro ZL1. Yes, folks, the 2013 Shelby GT500 will be blessed with a 5.8-liter supercharged V8 engine.

While conventional wisdom has always been that the easiest way to increase horsepower and torque was to bore-and-stroke your way to more displacement, an interesting series of spy shots showing one conspicuously oversize intercooler led some to believe Ford was ditching the supercharger in favor of twin turbos. Not so, apparently. Ford's latest contract with the UAW reveals that its Romeo Engine Assembly Plant will receive a $50 million investment to build the 5.8L supercharged mill.

Naturally, contract talk doesn't include a whiff on horsepower or torque, but you can bet Ford is planning on eking out more than the 580 horses that Chevy has corralled from the 2012 Camaro ZL1. Something around 600 seems like a safe bet, but we'll just have to wait for an official announcement from Ford. In the meantime, sweet supercharged dreams.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Is it still based on the 5.4 or is this a bored-out Coyote?

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
I hope they plan on putting more rubber on those wheels. 600hp on 285's is a bit much.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

Killbot posted:

I hope they plan on putting more rubber on those wheels. 600hp on 285's is a bit much.

No kidding. Even the current GT500 can't put its power down effectively.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
They will just make the rimz bigger to handle the power. Bigger rimz is the key to traction.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
I wouldn't be surprised if it is torque limited in the first two gears. Maybe it will have a POWA-BOOST button that temporarily removes the limit for drag racing and the like.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

oRenj9 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it is torque limited in the first two gears. Maybe it will have a POWA-BOOST button that temporarily removes the limit for drag racing and the like.

It most certainly will be torque limited as is the current GT. Note the HUGE torque increases the tuners see under 3k RPM. We've had this discussion before in this thread I believe. 600+ horsepower can be very drivable thanks to some clever ECU tricks. The perfect example is the ZR1.

Most big motors are using ECU tricks to keep you from doing stupid things that hurt motors and drivelines like stagger the opening of the throttle body vane when you mash it to keep the driveline from taking a huge shock.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Killbot posted:

The GT500's need at least 305's. My 2012 smokes tires like they are going out of style....with the traction control on. Driving it in the rain is hilarious. You have to be incredibly smooth and light on the throttle to keep from spinning in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gears.

Heck, I put my car on a dyno jet today. From the factory, she put down 380 hp at the wheels WHILE spinning* the tires on the dyno. We had to weigh down the trunk to get it to hook up.

*It is getting abit cold up here but I thought it was still funny as hell.

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 7, 2011

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

So, where's the dyno sheet?

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

frozenphil posted:

Bits of rubber clogged the printer at the shop.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

VibrioCholera, we want status updates on your beast.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

frozenphil posted:

Just waiting for the shop to email it over so I can upload!

Once weighed down, the car put down 477 hp and 423 lbft. The torque curve is hilariously flat.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

OrganizedEntropy posted:

Just waiting for the shop to email it over so I can upload!

Once weighed down, the car put down 477 hp and 423 lbft. The torque curve is hilariously flat.

Yeah, the torque curve is what I want people to see. It's almost Lightning hilarious.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

frozenphil posted:

Yeah, the torque curve is what I want people to see. It's almost Lightning hilarious.

To whet the appetites, here is a video of the warm up run on the dyno:

http://youtu.be/6_tt0tskTyg

And here is a dyno pull with some sweet, sweet blower whine!

http://youtu.be/VflDM4u7Zsc

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 8, 2011

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

frozenphil posted:

I was thinking the other day about why the hell some Saleen truck is in Forza, but the Lightning is still absent.

Somehow, I'm guessing a stock one to model just doesn't exist anymore.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
I was driving out with my wife the other day in the stang. Something that doesnt usually happen because she hates riding in it. In any case we had the radio on and she said that is sounds weird, kind of like when your ears are clogged. Ever since she said that I realized that yea my sound system sounds like poo poo. When I am in her car the radio sounds a hell of a lot better with stock speakers.

Currently my car has the Mach 460 system. The things I replaced is the head unit, which is a Kenwood KDC-BT838U, Pioneer TS-A6872R Speakers (in the doors), and a small MTX thunder amp with a single 10" sub. I also put sound dampening in the doors to make the tinny creaking noise go away when I open and close the door. I didnt cover the speakers with sound dampening!

the speakers all work, and none of them are blown out. I can adjust left/right front rear speakers and they all work. I can hear music coming out of the tweeters, and the sub kicks out enough bass.

Is the mach 460 amps the cause of this kind of description, or is it the head unit the cause? I remember back there was an issue in early 2000's when the mach 460 did not played nice with aftermarket headunits. I thought this issue was fixed.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Could very well be the stock amps. The 460 amps in my '03 sometimes fail to turn on and I have to turn the radio off and back on to get them to work correctly. I can tell the amps aren't on when the sound is really muddied like my ears are clogged.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
well poo poo, I guess this means I have to spend some money. I suppose I will have to buy a new amp(or amps), while I am at it, I suppose I should get replacement rear speakers and new tweeters.

To be honest with you I have absolutely no idea how sound systems work. What kind of amp should I get? not name brand or anything but features, wattage, ohms, etc...

if I get a new amp should I replace the subwoofer amp? do they make an all-in-one kind of amp that will drive both the 6 speakers and the sub? or am I better off getting separate amps for front, rears, and subs?

I am not looking for anything that grossly shakes the car, or have people hear me coming from 10 miles away. I am looking for something that offers clarity and high fidelity and just enough kick from the subwoofer.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

I'm not up on the latest things, but I have heard you'll need to run new speaker wire when upgrading the amps from stock.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

kalvick posted:

I was driving out with my wife the other day in the stang. Something that doesnt usually happen because she hates riding in it. In any case we had the radio on and she said that is sounds weird, kind of like when your ears are clogged. Ever since she said that I realized that yea my sound system sounds like poo poo. When I am in her car the radio sounds a hell of a lot better with stock speakers.

Currently my car has the Mach 460 system. The things I replaced is the head unit, which is a Kenwood KDC-BT838U, Pioneer TS-A6872R Speakers (in the doors), and a small MTX thunder amp with a single 10" sub. I also put sound dampening in the doors to make the tinny creaking noise go away when I open and close the door. I didnt cover the speakers with sound dampening!

the speakers all work, and none of them are blown out. I can adjust left/right front rear speakers and they all work. I can hear music coming out of the tweeters, and the sub kicks out enough bass.

Is the mach 460 amps the cause of this kind of description, or is it the head unit the cause? I remember back there was an issue in early 2000's when the mach 460 did not played nice with aftermarket headunits. I thought this issue was fixed.

The kenwood should be hooked directly up to the speakers. Remove the mach 460 amps from the chain completely.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Make sure your speakers are in phase. I've heard it can make a strange muddy sound if they are opposite.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Are there any decent Ford dealers in the north NJ area, before I just go to a random one and have a terrible experience?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

coolskillrex remix posted:

The kenwood should be hooked directly up to the speakers. Remove the mach 460 amps from the chain completely.
Uh no way don't do this unless you rewire the entire car. Mach 460 systems aren't wired like a regular four channel system. Replacing the speakers kind of fucks up the crossovers and ends up being lower impedance, already.

It sounds like the phase might be out or maybe one of the amps isn't turning on like others have said, because it should sound at least decent despite what I mentioned if you have everything hooked up correctly.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 9, 2011

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

blargle posted:

Are there any decent Ford dealers in the north NJ area, before I just go to a random one and have a terrible experience?

Go look at different Mustang message boards and ask there. I know there are a few around NJ who offer discounts to forum members.
Try http://www.modularfords.com/forums/forum.php

Neight
Mar 30, 2007

YOLT

blargle posted:

How far north are you? I went to All American Ford in Old Bridge and had a terrible experience and ended up buying mine at Larson Ford in Lakewood, but thats not exactly North Jersey.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Fairly close to the NY state border, but I don't mind driving if it's worthwhile. I bought my WRX off a dealer in Manchester, NH, about a 4 hour drive one way.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

blargle posted:

Fairly close to the NY state border, but I don't mind driving if it's worthwhile. I bought my WRX off a dealer in Manchester, NH, about a 4 hour drive one way.

I bought my Mustang at Muzi Ford/Chevrolet in Needham, MA. They're not a super high volume dealer which makes them great to work with. With all the scumbags like Herb Chambers and Boch in this area it's really refreshing to find a family owned dealership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

Dick Burglar posted:

Is it still based on the 5.4 or is this a bored-out Coyote?

Based on the 5.4 alloy block ("Condor")