Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Dan Hollis posted:

Agreed, I'm waiting for the new HTC Jupiter:

Hey, at least he's listening to Gnarls Barkley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

WaffleStomp posted:

Any guesses on how quickly the 4S will sell out at the Verizon stores? I won't be able to pick one up on the 14th until 5pm or so, and I'll need to visit a store to hop onto a family plan.

Expect Apple to create tons of artifical demand by keeping supplies limited, or at least tons of rumors about said limited supplies, but I doubt you will have any trouble getting one unless you live in NY or the Bay Area.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

bull3964 posted:

On a personal level, you couldn't force me to go back to an EVDO device. The difference in usability of data is that pronounced on Verizon. On AT&T, it's not as big of a deal.
This is basically it. Honestly if their Ev-DO actually did hang around 2mbps around here it wouldn't be as much of a sticking point. But we routinely get 100-300kbps transfer speeds on Ev-DO unless we're standing right under a tower. I literally would have cancelled our family plan during the remorse period and gone back to AT&T if not for getting a taste of LTE when they randomly turned a tower on a month early. The difference is ridiculous.

Then again, I don't remember Ev-DO being anywhere near this bad back when I had a Touch Pro on Sprint SERO. I feel like it was pretty consistently above 1mbps. Maybe Sprint took Ev-DO and Rev. A more seriously and made up for it by completely loving up 4G while Verizon took it seriously.

The real shame here is that this iPhone is otherwise extremely impressive. I really don't get the negative sentiment other than the complaints over the LTE omission. The chassis and display were already best in breed, and now it's ludicrously powerful, 64GB, and has a camera that rubs shoulders with the best on the market. I swore I'd never go back to iOS, but that thing is an LTE radio away from being objectively near-perfect.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

kalibar posted:

The real shame here is that this iPhone is otherwise extremely impressive. I really don't get the negative sentiment other than the complaints over the LTE omission.

The problem for most people that I've been talking to about it, is that the event and rumors (and the strange new cases showing up at AT&T stores) made it feel like a revolutionary change was coming up (think original iPhone to iPhone 3G), and then when the announcement came down, what they got was an evolutionary change (think iPhone 3G to 3GS).

The hardware inside last year's case and behind last year's screen is pretty impressive, but without a design change, people felt like they weren't getting much.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

kalibar posted:

Then again, I don't remember Ev-DO being anywhere near this bad back when I had a Touch Pro on Sprint SERO. I feel like it was pretty consistently above 1mbps.
Sprint's rev A is laughably bad now, far worse than Verizon. In many markets 300 Kb/s on a good day, up to 10x worse than that, making "56k go home" thread titles suddenly appropriate again.

Honestly it's capacity issues. Data usage hadn't yet exploded in the Touch Pro days.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My evdo speeds vary widely by location. At my house, I can consistently pull about 2.3Mbps. At work however, I'm lucky if I get 300Kbps. It's not even raw speed either as there seems to be a decent amount of packet loss in places.

LTE, the minimum I've seen is around 12Mbps and it's usually closer to 19-23Mbps.

Even when I'm home and can get near max evdo speeds, there's still a very pronounced difference between it and LTE. LTE is basically indistinguishable from wifi most of the time.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

bull3964 posted:

My evdo speeds vary widely by location. At my house, I can consistently pull about 2.3Mbps. At work however, I'm lucky if I get 300Kbps. It's not even raw speed either as there seems to be a decent amount of packet loss in places.

LTE, the minimum I've seen is around 12Mbps and it's usually closer to 19-23Mbps.

Even when I'm home and can get near max evdo speeds, there's still a very pronounced difference between it and LTE. LTE is basically indistinguishable from wifi most of the time.

With my lovely router, LTE is faster than WiFi for me at home. I have 30/3 cable, but my router shits itself anywhere more than 11Mbit.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

AlexDeGruven posted:

With my lovely router, LTE is faster than WiFi for me at home. I have 30/3 cable, but my router shits itself anywhere more than 11Mbit.

I don't have that problem with FiOS :).

I can pull 47Mbps all day long on my 35/35 connection WHILE pusing 30Mbps upstream (they seriously never seem to limit my downstream to what my plan says it should be.)

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

Pizza Club posted:

Sorry, I meant the 4S. She's been waiting to dump her piece of crap Pre all summer.

I think the point was: the Sprint's getting the iPhone this time around, too. On the same date, even.

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk

slackerbitch posted:

I think the point was: the Sprint's getting the iPhone this time around, too. On the same date, even.

Coverage is fine most of the time, but terrible out in the boonies where her parents and grandparents live. Verizon is the only option. Besides home and work, that's where most of her time is spent.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

Pizza Club posted:

Coverage is fine most of the time, but terrible out in the boonies where her parents and grandparents live. Verizon is the only option. Besides home and work, that's where most of her time is spent.

Oh! I misunderstood, that's all. I thought you were switching just because your wife wanted an iPhone, so I was trying to be helpful by pointing out that Sprint was getting its own shortly.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

AlexDeGruven posted:

The problem for most people that I've been talking to about it, is that the event and rumors (and the strange new cases showing up at AT&T stores) made it feel like a revolutionary change was coming up (think original iPhone to iPhone 3G), and then when the announcement came down, what they got was an evolutionary change (think iPhone 3G to 3GS).

The hardware inside last year's case and behind last year's screen is pretty impressive, but without a design change, people felt like they weren't getting much.
Personally I think the iPhone 4 has the best form factor of any phone on the market so I'm more than happy with them keeping it the same :)

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

To stay on topic: How much of a dick is Big Red going to be if I want to preorder an iPhone on Friday if I'm not up for an upgrade until Sunday? I have a long-time family plan, don't miss payments, good credit, etc; if that makes a difference.

Assume they are going to be a dick about, how impossible is going to be to get on Sunday?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

DeNofa posted:

To stay on topic: How much of a dick is Big Red going to be if I want to preorder an iPhone on Friday if I'm not up for an upgrade until Sunday? I have a long-time family plan, don't miss payments, good credit, etc; if that makes a difference.

Assume they are going to be a dick about, how impossible is going to be to get on Sunday?

Won't know until you try!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

DeNofa posted:

You could probably call them/stop by a store now and ask how the process would go. Since you're eligible for upgrade by the time the phone releases, it shouldn't be a huge problem.

If they give you a bunch of poo poo about it, just wait until Sunday and preorder then.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is there any way to break contract without actually canceling service? That is pay my ETF, go month to month immediately and be upgrade eligible?

We're 3 months into a 2 year contract and my wife hates her Thunderbolt so we've decided to get an iPhone. Verizon wants $649 for a 4S apparently since I am not upgrade eligible.

Being 3 months in, the prorated ETF is $320. I could port the number to a Tracphone or something and then back to Verizon to get an iPhone for $200 - making the whole affair $130 cheaper, except I'd lose unlimited data.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sell the Thunderbolt for a few hundred bucks to help subsidize the cost of an iPhone at retail...?

edit: oh wow, they sure aren't selling for too much, are they? So glad I returned that pos phone before it was too late.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 5, 2011

film_critic
Jul 23, 2007

We don't go dancing at the club with babies. We go baby clubbing.
I was having a problem on my droidx where i couldn't dial new numbers. I was already on my third phone so I called up verizon and they let me upgrade a year early. I pretty much had to do it on the spot, but I went ahead and bit the bullet on a bionic. IF the vigor is announced next week... I'll trade my phone in for that one. The only stipulation was that I NOT get an Iphone.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Holy poo poo, I'm about to travel overseas and decided tonight to test out Skype mobile so I could still make calls if I needed to. Now I find out that, on Verizon, I can't make calls over Wi-Fi? What the gently caress? What about internationally? That is ridiculous. What's the point?

edit: turns out that's only "Skype Mobile on Verizon", there is a separate Skype app that will do Wi-Fi VoIP. How stupid.

ALFbrot fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 6, 2011

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
I've been looking around for a while, but not finding info. Is there any info about a possible future 4G Windows phone coming soon. Possibly mango, and not Nokia? I'm really interested in a window phone but want 4G. It would have to be better than the thunderbolt I have now.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

While Microsoft took months to get CDMA support, Verizon dragged their heels on releasing a single, solitary, lone, device. A google search points to ZTE doing something but it obviously has been delayed considering Nokia apparently will be first to market. Maybe Q1 but I am not holding my breath.

Verizon is merely too busy with iPhone and Android to even care about Windows Phone it seems.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
That's really depressing. I'm kinda over Android, given up on blackberry, and not interested in iPhone. But I do like what I'm seeing with Windows phone mango. Well, let's just see if someone surprises us.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I'm currently on a Palm Pixi and my contract will be up within the next few months. I was wondering a couple of things. First off, I cannot for the life of me find how I am supposed to drop the insurance on the Pixi. Verizon lists it among the features, but give no helpful ways to remove or cancel it. Asurion's site is a mess, so I didn't see anything helpful there, either. Is this one of those things I will have to call Verizon to get done?

I was also wondering about the new iPhone. I've seen you can buy Apple Care+ for $100, which seems to work roughly the same as total equipment coverage on Verizon, but overall cheaper and with a lower deductible for accident replacements. What kind of hoops would I need to jump through to use that instead of TEC? I imagine I would have to sign up somewhere other than the Verizon website, which is kind of a pain, but I do not have a lot of good to say about Asurion.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You can buy AppleCare straight from Apple's web site.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

kitten smoothie posted:

Is there any way to break contract without actually canceling service? That is pay my ETF, go month to month immediately and be upgrade eligible?

We're 3 months into a 2 year contract and my wife hates her Thunderbolt so we've decided to get an iPhone. Verizon wants $649 for a 4S apparently since I am not upgrade eligible.

Being 3 months in, the prorated ETF is $320. I could port the number to a Tracphone or something and then back to Verizon to get an iPhone for $200 - making the whole affair $130 cheaper, except I'd lose unlimited data.

You could add-a-line. <thinks> But then you'd have to get data for that line, turning it into a $40/mo liability... hmm.

Just so there's a point to this post, your port-out port-in method won't work without 90 days in between, because Verizon won't consider you a new customer. Unless you come in with your wife's SSN.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Mark Larson posted:

You could add-a-line. <thinks> But then you'd have to get data for that line, turning it into a $40/mo liability... hmm.

Just so there's a point to this post, your port-out port-in method won't work without 90 days in between, because Verizon won't consider you a new customer. Unless you come in with your wife's SSN.

So what's stopping me from doing an add a line to get an iPhone at $199, then doing an ESN swap to put that phone on her line, and finally turning around and canceling the new line? At $350 ETF + $199 for the phone its still cheaper than $649.

Edit 2: I assume this would keep my unlimited data too on that line, right?

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 6, 2011

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

kitten smoothie posted:

So what's stopping me from doing an add a line to get an iPhone at $199, then doing an ESN swap to put that phone on her line, and finally turning around and canceling the new line? At $350 ETF + $199 for the phone its still cheaper than $649.

Edit 2: I assume this would keep my unlimited data too on that line, right?

You forgot the month of service, I think that starts at $60 plus tax. if you cancel within 30 days you have to return the phone or owe them full retail. Do you feel like doing a bunh of work to save $40 or less?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Flyboy925 posted:

That's really depressing. I'm kinda over Android, given up on blackberry, and not interested in iPhone. But I do like what I'm seeing with Windows phone mango. Well, let's just see if someone surprises us.
I have a Windows Mobile device, it is showing it's age. Originally, I was waiting for a device with the same form factor as a Dell Venue Pro (vertical keyboard, slider preferred) that had 4G. Hell, a Verizon employee nearly laughed in my face when I said I wanted a WP device with a vertical keyboard; while trying to get me to switch my home phone line to Verizon, might I add.

At this point, I have very little faith in Verizon.

NofrikinfuN posted:

I'm currently on a Palm Pixi and my contract will be up within the next few months. I was wondering a couple of things. First off, I cannot for the life of me find how I am supposed to drop the insurance on the Pixi. Verizon lists it among the features, but give no helpful ways to remove or cancel it. Asurion's site is a mess, so I didn't see anything helpful there, either. Is this one of those things I will have to call Verizon to get done?
Sorry to hear, the Pixi is an absolute piece of poo poo. Yes, you have to call.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
One oddity of how Asurion works is old phones that had insurance can bail you out. You can activate you Pixi on a line with insurance on you account and still maintain the insurance. Placehpldr device, sparw phone to activate in an emergency, etc.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

JayKay posted:

I purchased the 3500 mah seidio extended battery for my thunderbolt. While it adds quite a bit of heft to the phone, its nice being able to run 4G and not be required to charge every 8 hours.

I'm currently at 9 hours off charger and at 65%. This is with 4G being active the entire time and moderate use (display has been on for over an hour). After calibrating, I should be easily pushing 24 + hours with constant 4g and heavy use according to what i've read.

Small update. I've switched ROMS from Sense(BAMF Forever) back to AOSP(CM7* and finished calibration. I'm currently at 78% after 12 hours off charger. While it was only light usage with 32 minutes of screen activation, I'm pretty happy. With my stock battery, it'd be long dead with 4G and probably in the low 30% with 3G only.

While it no longer has its svelte and aesthetically pleasing curves, the fact I can actually an entire day on 4G without charging is so worth it.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Oct 7, 2011

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

EvilMoFo posted:

Sorry to hear, the Pixi is an absolute piece of poo poo. Yes, you have to call.

Thanks. There was a time I would have argued it had a certain charm, but I'm done defending it. Still, if I can remove insurance, I'll have a $25/m 5GB hotspot.

BagelMaster
Mar 20, 2008
I preordered my iPhone 4S, but unfortunately when I got to the shipping and billing address page, the shipping address form was broken and I couldn't change the shipping address. I tried multiple times with no luck. If I call Verizon, do you think I could get that rectified and have it shipped to my current address rather than the billing address (my parents, yay family plan!), or perhaps just have an in-store pickup? Otherwise I'll just hang out and have them mail it to me after it arrives on the 14th, I just don't want to wade through customer service reps only to have my hopes and dreams crushed.

thrannix
Dec 11, 2009
Is this forum public? I have certain information available and would like to avoid any hassling.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

thrannix posted:

Is this forum public? I have certain information available and would like to avoid any hassling.

This is a public forum, but membership costs money and Lowtax is pretty good about privacy, so you shouldn't be harassed by any outsiders for what you say here.

thrannix
Dec 11, 2009
Groovy.

So, Verizon's next Droid WILL BE the Droid RAZR. Expect it out in early November. I have a source from a third party vendor of Verizons.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

BagelMaster posted:

I preordered my iPhone 4S, but unfortunately when I got to the shipping and billing address page, the shipping address form was broken and I couldn't change the shipping address. I tried multiple times with no luck. If I call Verizon, do you think I could get that rectified and have it shipped to my current address rather than the billing address (my parents, yay family plan!), or perhaps just have an in-store pickup? Otherwise I'll just hang out and have them mail it to me after it arrives on the 14th, I just don't want to wade through customer service reps only to have my hopes and dreams crushed.

Same situation. I will be calling them this morning and see if it's possible to change the address. I would like it shipped to my job, so we'll see.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thrannix posted:

Groovy.

So, Verizon's next Droid WILL BE the Droid RAZR. Expect it out in early November. I have a source from a third party vendor of Verizons.

So it's essentially just a Bionic with a modestly-better display and more resilient body (possibly running ICS)?

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

doctor thodt posted:

So it's essentially just a Bionic with a modestly-better display and more resilient body (possibly running ICS)?
Its going to be really thin and also have a non-removable battery :(

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What the hell, seriously? Nevermind, dealbreaker :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

doctor thodt posted:

What the hell, seriously? Nevermind, dealbreaker :(
Well he's led me wrong before but thats what my buddy at Moto said. Its going to be so thin they couldn't put a removable battery in there or something like that.

• Locked thread