Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So I am thinking of moving over to Verizon from AT&T. I've been with AT&T since late 05 (well, I used to be part of Cingular). I'm moving to Boise, Idaho and I've heard that Verizon gets a little better service in the area, not too much better, but slightly better nonetheless. I currently have an iPhone 3GS and would be upgrading to the 4S if I switched.

I currently pay about $120 a month for 900 minutes a month and an unlimited data plan.

Is there any specific reason I should/should not move over to Verizon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Mordiceius posted:

So I am thinking of moving over to Verizon from AT&T. I've been with AT&T since late 05 (well, I used to be part of Cingular). I'm moving to Boise, Idaho and I've heard that Verizon gets a little better service in the area, not too much better, but slightly better nonetheless. I currently have an iPhone 3GS and would be upgrading to the 4S if I switched.

I currently pay about $120 a month for 900 minutes a month and an unlimited data plan.

Don't do it.

1. You wouldn't have unlimited data, which is worth its weight in gold considering all the streaming and cloud services that are launching right now.

2. what you're paying is par for the course, Verizon is slightly more expensive than AT&T anyway.

3. The 4S will be on AT&T and have better data speeds than the Verizon version.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Mordiceius posted:

The tradeoff here is getting a more reliable signal from Verizon, vs faster data (HSDPA vs EVDO) and no limit to it. Realistically an AT&T iPhone 4S will probably be a fair bit faster on the data side, assuming you get a decent signal.

If I were you I'd wait till I moved and tried it out for a little while to see how AT&T is there before giving up my unlimited data.

edit: beaten

thrannix
Dec 11, 2009

dominator posted:

non-removable battery :(

Ah hell... that may be a dealbreaker for me as well.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dominator posted:

Well he's led me wrong before but thats what my buddy at Moto said. Its going to be so thin they couldn't put a removable battery in there or something like that.

That's nuts. I've never owned a cellphone that I didn't have to hard reboot with a battery pull at some point - not to mention potentially wanting to put in a larger battery, or that any potential battery problems would mean getting your entire phone replaced(?).

I mean the iPhone gets away with it, but Moto aint Apple.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

doctor thodt posted:

That's nuts. I've never owned a cellphone that I didn't have to hard reboot with a battery pull at some point - not to mention potentially wanting to put in a larger battery, or that any potential battery problems would mean getting your entire phone replaced(?).

I mean the iPhone gets away with it, but Moto aint Apple.

I'm sure you can probably do a DIY battery replacement. Lots of things come with a non-removable battery now.

As for the reset, all you have to do is setup a hard reset button combo. With my Xoom, you just have to hold volume up and power and the thing will reset no matter how hard it is locked up.

The rumors that I heard is this is allowing them to cram a 2000ish mAh better in the thing which is pretty welcome on the battery life front.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

JayKay posted:

Small update. I've switched ROMS from Sense(BAMF Forever) back to AOSP(CM7* and finished calibration. I'm currently at 78% after 12 hours off charger. While it was only light usage with 32 minutes of screen activation, I'm pretty happy. With my stock battery, it'd be long dead with 4G and probably in the low 30% with 3G only.

While it no longer has its svelte and aesthetically pleasing curves, the fact I can actually an entire day on 4G without charging is so worth it.

Hmm, you didn't have any problems running CM7 on your Tbolt? I installed 7.1.1 the other night, but had all kinds of weird little problems. No display when I tried making calls, 4g was pretty flaky, Bluetooth didn't work very well (but I'm having BT problems on BAMF Forever I installed last night, so meh). I might try it again if you're getting that good a battery life.

cptn oblivious
Jun 25, 2006
Wait DROID RAZR is next? What happened to the DROID Nexus Prime?

My OG Droid is really fickle these days, and I want an NFC chip and an unlocked bootloader.

thrannix
Dec 11, 2009

cptn oblivious posted:

My OG Droid is really fickle these days, and I want an NFC chip and an unlocked bootloader.

I guess Prime could be next. He told me they were building the molds for display cases on a couple products, but he only mentioned the Razr specifically.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

cptn oblivious posted:

Then dont go with another Moto device. They paid plenty of lip service to unlocking them but they've made no real move to do anything of the sort.

The rumored DROID Prime was the Galaxy Prime probably. While we have no confirmation one way or another the latest rumors don't peg it as a Droid release.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Nexus Prime announcement delayed due to Job's death.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20117161-17/galaxy-nexus-launch-delayed-due-to-jobs-death/

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Part of the reason Apple can use internal batteries with their phones and laptops is that an integrated battery has higher capacity. Not having the interconnects and enclosure material to safely encapsulate what is some potentially nasty stuff (Lithium electrolyte) saves roughly 20-30% of the volume and thus their capacity is that much larger. Not to mention these batteries can be formed to take up all available internal volume instead of a box.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

cptn oblivious posted:

You're concerned that a source at Motorola didn't have information about the Samsung Nexus Prime?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bobx66 posted:

Nexus Prime announcement delayed due to Job's death.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20117161-17/galaxy-nexus-launch-delayed-due-to-jobs-death/

Really? Ugh.

There's being respectful and there's being stupid.

BagelMaster
Mar 20, 2008

Vintimus Prime posted:

Same situation. I will be calling them this morning and see if it's possible to change the address. I would like it shipped to my job, so we'll see.

I called and they said they were unable to change the shipping address on a pre-order. I asked why and they said "Well... there actually isn't an option too. The information is just there, and that's all that shows up." Apparently my rep asked around too because they've been getting several complaints about that v :( v

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

Really? Ugh.

Probably has to do more with tech news being pretty much dominated by Jobs death. Plus from what I've been reading it sounds like we still might get a look at ICS. Just that we will get a separate look at the Nexus at the end of the month.

Boffo Beach Babe!!!
Mar 7, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

Really? Ugh.

The actual release date is staying the same so it's not a real delay.

There have already been video leaks of the phone in action. All that's missing are some Google execs gettin' on stage and droning on and on about the future of NFC and on and on about the potential of the Android platform and on and on about numbers and whatever else.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

NofrikinfuN posted:

Still, if I can remove insurance, I'll have a $25/m 5GB hotspot.
... not through the website. I have been meaning to call and see if I can add 5gb tethering to my device.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Let's assume for the sake of argument that the Prime comes out this month and I consider switching to Verizon from Sprint. I understand that I'd be losing unlimited data, but let me just run a scenario by you, to see if I can figure out this tiered data plan:

So I get that it's $30 for 2 gigs of data. Let's say I use 2.75 one month. Will I be charged the $10 extra for 3 gigs of data, or is it prorated for the actual amount I use?

Also, how many of you are currently butting up against that limit? Is tiered data really that crippling?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I went into the Verizon store this evening because I need to replace my phone soon. I have had a G'zOne Type-V since August of 2007, and mine is getting to the point where I don't think it can take many more hits.

I don't really want to pay for a data plan, so the G'zOne Commando is out, and I also wouldn't really use most of the features anyway. I was hoping to get a Ravine, but they didn't have any in-store, and the sales person implied that they were going to stop selling that model. Do any of you have any information about a possible new Gz'One phone other than the Commando, and if it will require a data plan? Alternatively, would it be possible for me to buy a new Type-V and get it activated using my number? I'm not on a contract right now, and haven't been for a few years, and if possible I would like to stay that way.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

You can purchase any Verizon capable phone, new or used, from somebody other than Verizon and use it on their network without having to worry about a contract.

With that said, you've had the same phone and VZW account for 4 years. Is a contract really going to do you harm?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I may be leaving the country for a few years - to a place with no service, so not having to pay for a phone while I am gone would be nice.

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Let's assume for the sake of argument that the Prime comes out this month and I consider switching to Verizon from Sprint. I understand that I'd be losing unlimited data, but let me just run a scenario by you, to see if I can figure out this tiered data plan:

So I get that it's $30 for 2 gigs of data. Let's say I use 2.75 one month. Will I be charged the $10 extra for 3 gigs of data, or is it prorated for the actual amount I use?

Also, how many of you are currently butting up against that limit? Is tiered data really that crippling?

LTE is a data murderer. Last month (my first with my bionic) my data usage was 5.7 gigs. A lot of that was redownloading apps and streaming music with Google music since I'm rarely on wifi. I rarely stream video, and if I do its only a YouTube video or two. Honestly I'm amazed I used that much.... I would have described myself as a medium data user until I saw the statistics with my own eyes. its just so easy to rack up data with this connection.

5 days into this next billing cycle I'm at 700+ MB.

I hope someone else here can add a different perspective... cause if my usage is normal that bodes ill for tiered LTE users.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

That's pretty normal. As I posted a few months ago when the tiers went into effect, my wife uses a Droid x mostly for work and she easily hits 1.5+ gigs a month. I on the other hand average between 5-10 gigs on my Thunderbolt.

Edit: they really should have made the "normal" $29 tier at least 4GB, possibly 5GB

JayKay fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 8, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Is tiered data really that crippling?
If you don't stream, you'll probably never come close. If you do, well, for info a 128kbps audio stream uses roughly 65 Mb/hr, or about 18 hrs/Gb.

As to your other question, I'm not sure but I'd be shocked if the overage was prorated.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

I just don't see the point in signing up for Verizon right now. People with unlimited LTE plans should obviously hang onto them for dear life (as I'm doing), but at a minimum $70/month for voice and 2GB data they just represent a really poor value. If you're willing to craigslist a phone, you could literally get the same service from T-Mobie for $45/month (500 minutes + 2GB add-on).

I dunno, I just don't think LTE would be any fun if I couldn't burn as much of it as I wanted. If I'm having to micromanage a 2GB meter, HSPA+ is good enough.

I guess if T-Mobile or AT&T coverage is aggressively poor in your area it's worth doing. Verizon's likely getting a shitted-up version of the Nexus Prime anyway though, you'd might as well get an HSPA+ version straight from Google and get a better/cheaper plan elsewhere.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yeah, if I wasn't grandfathered in to unlimited data LTE would not be as attractive to me.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

My bionic was DOA.

Before getting it, I had a Droid X and used less than a gig every month easily. Since getting my bionic, my usage really hasn't changed. My phone would get super warm and die within 4-6 hours on the extended battery.

Once I got it swapped out, the battery life has been way better. I looked at my usage and it's at almost 5gb's of usage. I'm thinking my old phone was stuck in some sort of data connection which would explain why it would get warm and die within hours.

Just wanted to give a heads up for anyone who has a bionic.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

kstatix posted:

My bionic was DOA.

Before getting it, I had a Droid X and used less than a gig every month easily. Since getting my bionic, my usage really hasn't changed. My phone would get super warm and die within 4-6 hours on the extended battery.

Once I got it swapped out, the battery life has been way better. I looked at my usage and it's at almost 5gb's of usage. I'm thinking my old phone was stuck in some sort of data connection which would explain why it would get warm and die within hours.

Just wanted to give a heads up for anyone who has a bionic.

It was most likely the Social Location app. If you don't set it to auto end, it drains your battery like a hungry leech.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

VoodooXT posted:

It was most likely the Social Location app. If you don't set it to auto end, it drains your battery like a hungry leech.

Every time I checked my task list nothing stood out to be an app that would devour the battery. I'll definitely keep an eye on that.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I've got unlimited data on Verizon right now with a Blackberry. I asked a Verizon rep online and they said that if I got an iPhone 4S that I would continue to have unlimited data.

Is this correct?

If so, what's the best way to make sure that at some point during the ordering and activation proces someone doesn't muck with my plan and switch me off of that unlimited data? I want to cancel my TEC and get Applecare+, so ordering at Apple would be a plus as it seems to be difficult to get Applecare+ when ordering from Verizon.

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

sellouts posted:

I've got unlimited data on Verizon right now with a Blackberry. I asked a Verizon rep online and they said that if I got an iPhone 4S that I would continue to have unlimited data.

Is this correct?

If so, what's the best way to make sure that at some point during the ordering and activation proces someone doesn't muck with my plan and switch me off of that unlimited data? I want to cancel my TEC and get Applecare+, so ordering at Apple would be a plus as it seems to be difficult to get Applecare+ when ordering from Verizon.
Yes it's correct, and... if you're really worried about losing it you should just tell the Apple rep to uh, be careful? and then confirm it's still there before you leave. In the unlikely event that the rep somehow gets it taken from your account I'm sure a quick call to Verizon can set things right.

I think it might be wise if the "switching to a different smartphone and keeping unlimited data" question was added to the OP. Of course it won't stop the question from being asked, but at least we can grief people that way.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Yes you can keep your unlimited data. You mean the $30 unlimited right? Verizon redesigned the names and codes of their data plan codes just to ensure there would be no problem moving around. (basically eliminated different data plan name based on OS). The old "corporate email" $45 plan is also grandfathered but it's not a sure thing you can move down to the $30 unlimited plan.

As far as Apple Care+ goes, you have to add it at time of purchase. This is a change compared to the original non accident lost protection version of Apple Care and Asurion/VZW TEC

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thanks, for the record I did look through the OP and the last 2 or 3 pages of the thread from when the iPhone 4S was announced and didn't see it.

Would be great to see it added to the OP.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Apparently that's the name for "Unlimited data plan." Not sure if that's been mentioned previously.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
With the extended battery my Bionic seems to be what it should have been at launch. Heavy HEAVY usage and I can still go 12+ hours.

Speaking of which. I hit 20gb data usage just now. I pay for tethering and am only living here for about 30 more days so I don't want to buy cable. The other day my 4G connection died and I panicked that they killed it. Turns out my SIM card just went bad.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Laranzu posted:

Turns out my SIM card just went bad.

We are seeing this alot lately. Lots of sim cards crapping out for no reason...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Motorola and verizon are holding a press event Oct 18th to talk about their next generation of devices.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/10/10/motorola-teases-next-line-of-products-droid-razr-incoming-october-18/

Images seen in the teaser video include a razor blade, a feather, and a kevlar vest. It looks like the Droid Razr with a thin light kevlar body may be the truth.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 10, 2011

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Mighty Horse posted:

We are seeing this alot lately. Lots of sim cards crapping out for no reason...

On Bionics in particular?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

decoy octopus posted:

They're testing it in Newport News/Yorktown/Hampton/Norfolk so I would assume Richmond is getting rolled out near the same time unless my Verizon rep went to all the trouble of faking a screenshot just to show me her phone using LTE. No confirmed date or anything on a rollout but it is coming
Finally, it's announced that Richmond, the Hampton area, and Roanoke are getting LTE in the next month and a half. Richmond and Hampton on Oct 20th, Roanoke a month later. These two expansions wrap up the last bit of area I was waiting on. So that's exciting - seems like they should make a lot of other people happy as well.

http://gizmodo.com/5848297/verizons-4g-lte-network-is-getting-even-more-huuuger-oct-20th-and-nov-17th

• Locked thread