Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

iastudent posted:

As far as SRPGs go, how is Zone of the Enders: The Fist of Mars? I saw a cheap copy at Goodwill the other day and I haven't played a GBA game in awhile.

To be honest, it's pretty dull. It's a very cut-rate version of a Super Robot Wars game; it's lacking extremely silly attacks and any kind of buff system, and in place they put in a mini-game where you have to hit or dodge your enemies. Do it right - which is easy, once you get the hang of it - and you have 100% hit chance, 100% evade chance.

Also, I remember the plot being very trite 'I don't like gears or fighting!' kind of deal.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

iastudent posted:

As far as SRPGs go, how is Zone of the Enders: The Fist of Mars? I saw a cheap copy at Goodwill the other day and I haven't played a GBA game in awhile.

Fist of Mars is a copy of a popular Japanese SRPG series called "Super Robot Wars." However, it is very simplified. Where as SRW uses various spells and abilities to alter the outcome of combat, FoM uses a really awful action-based system where you either have to move a cursor around to dodge enemy crosshairs or move it around to highlight an enemy. The end result is that combat is incredibly boring because it is nearly impossible to get hit and nearly impossible to miss. You just send your robots forward and they slaughter everything.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Yeah, I think I'll give it a pass then. I remembered hearing about it in some magazine years ago but not the details on it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

iastudent posted:

Yeah, I think I'll give it a pass then. I remembered hearing about it in some magazine years ago but not the details on it.

You can actually turn off the action system, which makes it a lot harder, but the lack of skills and stuff otherwise means you're pretty much at the mercy of the (literal) RNG for how much damage you do and whether you hit at all.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Aside from the gameplay, the plot isn't very great either. It's somewhat related to the main ZoE plot but not really. It was a marginally passable game back in the day; pretty much criminally bad today.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is there a Mount & Blade thread? Because I spent 13+ hours playing it non-stop since I got it. God-drat sieges are the best thing, especially if you have the best armour, an awesome 2-handed sword, and are the first up the siege engine/scaling ladder. Wading into battle and waving a sword as big as myself in a whirlwind of death never gets old.

Any tips on setting up a kingdom? I tried taking the Khanate once, even took all their towns and castles, but even so, there were 1-man groups of nobles (who'd always escape after I beat them in battle) razing my towns and poo poo.

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011
Has anyone heard or know of anything about the Star Ocean Series? Have they decided they were done with it completely? (as the creator had told a magazine they were done with it) I thought i recall a rumor a while ago that they were planning a 5th one? Does anyone know anything?

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

Ashekaban posted:

Has anyone heard or know of anything about the Star Ocean Series? Have they decided they were done with it completely? (as the creator had told a magazine they were done with it) I thought i recall a rumor a while ago that they were planning a 5th one? Does anyone know anything?

Well an old 2009 article says the producer wants to quit after The Last Hope.

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2009/473.html

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

Well an old 2009 article says the producer wants to quit after The Last Hope.

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2009/473.html

See, i remember that article, but then i found this http://scrawlfx.com/2009/02/star-ocean-4-not-the-last-game-in-the-series albeit i know its a 2009 article, but using that snazzy new tech demo using SO characters also hinted at it..was just hoping something more concrete showed up..I need more of that crafting love

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Kinda RPG-related but I got an email today saying that XSeed Games now has their own store.

If I wasn't already invested to go on vacation this weekend I'd buy the Dogi shirt in a heartbeat. :(

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Talking about the Last Hope, I never got around to it. I heard good things about the combat and not much about the other aspects. Would the game be a good buy now? I suppose the price has dropped.

Also got around to playing DA2, I don't know what's about it I hate. I don't like the whole changed interface for abilities. The story telling idea seems neat, seeing the town and companions change with your journeys but unfortunately neither of them are interesting enough to give a drat about. The game on Nightmare is too frustrating unless you have a perfect build and on all the other difficulties it's easy as poo poo, you don't even have to use the radial menu's. Can't enjoy the combat at all because of that. Conversation is dumbed down compared to the first, the first line on the right is good, middle one is fun/indifferent(?) and third is bad. It's so obvious, your Hawke is either an angel or an evil murderer. The indifferent one never seems to have any affect in the conversations. Should have made it like The Witcher where your choices are less obvious and you have to think about your decisions. Not going to mention the recycled dungeons.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Ulio posted:

Talking about the Last Hope, I never got around to it. I heard good things about the combat and not much about the other aspects. Would the game be a good buy now? I suppose the price has dropped.

I wouldn't recommend it. I liked the combat, but not enough to make up for everything else. I can put up with a lot of dumb anime poo poo, but the story scenes in it were just awful. You can't do much with the item creation system until near the end of the game (or the post game in some cases) which I wasn't a fan of. The combat was enjoyable while I was playing it, but in retrospect it wasn't all that well balanced either.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

iastudent posted:

Kinda RPG-related but I got an email today saying that XSeed Games now has their own store.

If I wasn't already invested to go on vacation this weekend I'd buy the Dogi shirt in a heartbeat. :(

The Dogi shirt is incredible and I own it already.

More importantly, though, loving RUNE FACTORY FRONTIER. And money that'll go STRAIGHT to the devs and publisher! GET ON THAT poo poo, GOONS. I have a suspicion that'll sell out really fast at that price.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

SpaceDrake posted:

More importantly, though, loving RUNE FACTORY FRONTIER. And money that'll go STRAIGHT to the devs and publisher! GET ON THAT poo poo, GOONS. I have a suspicion that'll sell out really fast at that price.

Something unusual I just noticed. They sell DS titles but they don't have Solatorobo, which came out just last week. :confused:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

SpaceDrake posted:

Why is Frontier published by Xseed while all the other Harvest Moon/Rune Factory are published by Natsume?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

iastudent posted:

Something unusual I just noticed. They sell DS titles but they don't have Solatorobo, which came out just last week. :confused:

I would presume their initial print run all went to shops and whatnot; if they end up with extra or do another run it'll probably go up on the site.

Lakbay posted:

Why is Frontier published by Xseed while all the other Harvest Moon/Rune Factory are published by Natsume?

Shenanigans, as I understand it. They might start doing more Rune Factory and Harvest Moon now that Marvelous and AQI (who have a majority stake in XSEED) are a single company now.

Also:

HondaCivet posted:

SpaceDrake, your intolerance of Creepy Otaku poo poo, while commendable, must make it really hard to work in the industry you've chosen. :stare:

Not gonna lie, it feels kind of challenging at times. Doesn't help that what's considered super-goddamn creepy over here is often seen as only mildly off there. We were really fortunate to have an initial partner who just avoided questionable stuff entirely; Fortune Summoners dips a toe in slightly once or twice, but it's still nowhere near as bad as a lot of the stuff other companies try to bring over sometimes. Looking for other opportunities, though, gets a little... grim, sometimes.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 5, 2011

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

Ulio posted:

It depends if the SO story appeals to you. A lot of people hate on it, But it's one of my favorite series(I think because of just how broken the game can be with crafting) The stories ridiculous, the characters sorta make sense, and it has a lot of lore about the previous SO's.. i'd say to at least give it a shot, especially if you've played the ones before.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

Yeah, especially when used copies at Amazon are $45. I can't believe the price of that game sky-rocketed so fast. I bought that game about a year and a half ago for $15 from Gamestop during one of their big sales.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

SpaceDrake posted:

Oh, poo poo, I'm going to have to seriously consider donating a kidney to science or something to get money for this. (Given that I've played all three RF games on the DS, anyway....)

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Nice to see they're selling the Ys soundtrack CDs too. Even though there's a mininum amount you have to purchase it's still a good deal for good VG music.

That list also reminded me that I still have the Felghana art calendar and I never bothered to take it out of the packaging. :negative:

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

iastudent posted:

That list also reminded me that I still have the Felghana art calendar and I never bothered to take it out of the packaging. :negative:

Is that better or worse than using it on your desk at work all year? Which is something that I may or may not be doing. :sweatdrop:

After reading some reviews of the Rune Factory games, it sort of makes them sound like the Arland Atelier games in that you have a few gameplay options available to you at any point and you can, for the most part, choose what to do and when. Is this a fair comparison at all? Would I probably like RF since I enjoy AT?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

The White Dragon posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about, I cheesed every boss fight with D-Dive and the Square attack.

Except a wrench got thrown into my plans when normal enemies started needing it and I hadn't evaded them, so I actually had just barely enough conserving as hard as I could for the last four (five?) boss gauntlet. You know, the ones that absorb 1000+ damage per turn unless you Dragon Form them. The thing about the final boss being completely immune unless you attack him in Dragon Form is bullshit.

Actually, pretty much any mechanic where you have limited resources but the enemies--and the key word here is easily--easily have infinite resources that you have to expend your limited resources to break is kinda bullshit.

Dragon Quarter is a game which seems a lot harder than it actually is, especially if you give in and use your D-Dive for every boss.

As for the bosses that start getting a damage buffer, all you have to do is save up AP and then wail on them. This works best if you have Lin's skill shatter. I don't remember if Shatter is a missable skill or not.

You can also cheese the system really easily by making a save, D-Diving you way through a bunch of enemies, and then restoring to keep all your party exp and stored items.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 7, 2011

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a Y's Origin thread?

It looks a lot like the combat in Recettear, is that apt?

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a Y's Origin thread?

It looks a lot like the combat in Recettear, is that apt?

Yes, if the combat in Recettear was 50 times faster and more in depth. It's pretty much the same as Oath in Felghana's combat if you played that.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
I've just beaten Ys Origin's second boss (I'm playing on Hard), and yes, the combat is a lot like Oath in Felghana's. The first boss fight was a bit static, but the second one is really fast-paced and compelling.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
How are you guys playing Origins? I know there's an English translation patch out but I have no idea how to get the game and apply the patch to it.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Unfortunately Himeya is gone which makes things difficult. You might be able to order it through Falcom directly, that's how I got mine back in the day: http://www.falcom.co.jp/mailorder/catalog/936.html

After that you need to install the bonus disc (which you can just download, it's a freebee), then the translation patch.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Finished Valkyria Chronicles, was pretty good. Some of the maps were kind of gimmicky but otherwise I was pleasantly surprised with the overall challenge the game presented from start to end. I went through some of the DLC missions which were fun too I guess, but I guess I missed a couple in Selvaria's because I didn't A rank one of them which would've unlocked a few more. Honestly I think I'm kind of VCed out though for the moment so maybe I'll get back to it another day.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Nate RFB posted:

Finished Valkyria Chronicles, was pretty good. Some of the maps were kind of gimmicky but otherwise I was pleasantly surprised with the overall challenge the game presented from start to end. I went through some of the DLC missions which were fun too I guess, but I guess I missed a couple in Selvaria's because I didn't A rank one of them which would've unlocked a few more. Honestly I think I'm kind of VCed out though for the moment so maybe I'll get back to it another day.

I got stuck on that horrible Chapter 7 and then lost steam to keep going. The fact that it looks like the series is probably never coming back to America after 2, let alone a non-portable console, is discouraging. Consoles need more pretty JRPGs, especially ones that are actually fun to play.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
I've a gap in my gaming calendar until Skyrim hits so I bought Xenoblade on a whim today. I can't even remember the last JRPG I've played, probably FF12. I've completely ignored them the last few years, especially since the resurgence in western RPGs. I'm going in with an open mind though...wish me luck!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

HondaCivet posted:

I got stuck on that horrible Chapter 7 and then lost steam to keep going. The fact that it looks like the series is probably never coming back to America after 2, let alone a non-portable console, is discouraging. Consoles need more pretty JRPGs, especially ones that are actually fun to play.
Chapter 7 was bad (I complained about it earlier in the thread), but I feel like I could pretty consistently beat it now (in an ordinary game, not New Game+) now that I know what to expect. It comes down to unfortunately memorizing enemy behavior and preparing accordingly several turns in advance, which is something I think can be said of many maps. You'll have to try and fail a few times to get the layout or flow of a given map, and then try for real.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

It comes down to unfortunately memorizing enemy behavior and preparing accordingly several turns in advance, which is something I think can be said of many maps.

That's a very true statement for the entirety of VC1, and to some extent VC2. It does mean that with sufficient preparation you're basically only ever relying on scouts to rush through the enemy, but god drat does it feel good when you wipe out a difficult map in all of two turns.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Talking about VC1 reminds me . . . how has Skies of Arcadia held up? I remember that it was well-acclaimed at the time but is it worth going back and playing now?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

adamarama posted:

I've a gap in my gaming calendar until Skyrim hits so I bought Xenoblade on a whim today. I can't even remember the last JRPG I've played, probably FF12. I've completely ignored them the last few years, especially since the resurgence in western RPGs. I'm going in with an open mind though...wish me luck!

Congrats, it's literally the best jRPG made in the last five years and possibly ever.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I've been kind of interested in Deus Ex : HR because of a lack of things to play recently, what can it be related to? I've never played the original one, but have played a fair share of RPGs in the past.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Mostly the original (That you should play btw)

Otherwise, elements of Metal Gear Solid + Mass Effect + Alpha Protocol approaches it decently.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I'm not particularly interested in the story, and I'm not the kind of guy who enjoys reading page after page of fake emails in a video game. Is the actual gameplay fun enough to give HR a shot? Or is it nothing special and only really worth it for the story/atmosphere?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Brace posted:

I've been kind of interested in Deus Ex : HR because of a lack of things to play recently, what can it be related to? I've never played the original one, but have played a fair share of RPGs in the past.

It plays like a dumbed down version of Alpha Protocol. It isn't much of an RPG. Not a terrible game, though.

Question: I'm after an interesting PS1/PS2 or PC RPG (can be Western or Japanese) that has fun dialogue and characters. Gameplay that is more action based than grindy is a plus, but not essential.

Favourite JRPGs: Xenogears and Persona 4.
Favourite WRPGs: Fallout 2 and Baldur's Gate II.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Chas McGill posted:

Question: I'm after an interesting PS1/PS2 or PC RPG (can be Western or Japanese) that has fun dialogue and characters. Gameplay that is more action based than grindy is a plus, but not essential.

Favourite JRPGs: Xenogears and Persona 4.
Favourite WRPGs: Fallout 2 and Baldur's Gate II.

Witcher and Witcher 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Brace posted:

It's really a first person shooter/stealth game with meaningful dialogue choices and explorable city hubs with a few "sidequests". I'd recommend it (and the original Deus Ex) because they're good games, but they're really hybrids at best.

EDIT: It's difficult to say where it ranks on the range of FPS-RPG games between Alpha Protocol, Mass Effect, Bioshock, etc in terms of which it's most like but I will say this - it has better gameplay than all of them.