Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Never played any of the Forza games before, but I'm planning on picking this one up. I do not currently own an Xbox 360, and I see there are several different versions available. Is the 4gb arcade model enough to play this game, or do I need one of the ones with a larger HDD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

PopeOnARope posted:

You're forgetting that EA's given them a whole game before, and actually did a good job with it too.

Porsche Unleashed was a LONG time ago in computer game terms, and EA as a company barely even resembles the company that made that game anymore.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Sex Vicar posted:

So hey, maybe Porsche DLC in the future once EA gets over it's own hump.

Not that I'm upset over it, but that's what I'm hoping for. They have to see how ridiculous it looks to be the only manufacturer not to have at least one car in the game.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Pope Corky the IX posted:

For 'Need for Speed'? Why the hell would a manufacturer known for performance sign an exclusive agreement for an arcade game, rather than a simulation? Is this too stupid of a question considering the only answer will have to use the $ symbol?

I'm going to go with money, yeah. And considering that EA is such a powerhouse they'd be able to pay more than Turn-10 would ever be able to pay.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

Not that I'm upset over it, but that's what I'm hoping for. They have to see how ridiculous it looks to be the only manufacturer not to have at least one car in the game.

Until the contract's up, it's not really Porche's call unfortunatly. Do we know when the contract is up?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Never played any of the Forza games before, but I'm planning on picking this one up. I do not currently own an Xbox 360, and I see there are several different versions available. Is the 4gb arcade model enough to play this game, or do I need one of the ones with a larger HDD?

If you're planning on installing both discs - and you really should - you might want more. That said, you can use up to (I think?) a 16GB USB flash drive as storage now and that should juuuust be enough to let you install both discs and all of the DLC you can stand.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
How big is the second disk install going to be for this thing? :eek:

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
As someone who bought a hard drive to play Forza 3, take my advice and get the biggest one you can afford at the time. It sucks that I got some skimpy hard drive space when I want download game demos or movies.

hojusimpson
Mar 30, 2011

Residency Evil posted:

Most sites state numbers in the 3 GB range. I think Forza 3's second disc was 2 GB, but someone here will correct me.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Brainwrong posted:

Surely it would be a Kia Cee'd not the Lacetti. The Lacetti died in the demolition of two huge chimney stacks.

There is a Top Gear "reasonably priced car" challenge in the Rivals section, and yes, you use a stock Kia Cee'd. Did a 1.47:something earlier today in it, but there's way more time in the car.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Someone please start a FM4 iRC channel!

yes we nyan
Aug 17, 2007

ha, ha, haaa~

Dr JonboyG posted:

There is a Top Gear "reasonably priced car" challenge in the Rivals section, and yes, you use a stock Kia Cee'd. Did a 1.47:something earlier today in it, but there's way more time in the car.

You have the game, correct? Is it true that they put in other famous real life laps, specifically senna's lap around suzuka and such?

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Someone please start a FM4 iRC channel!

#forzagoons on synIRC is where most of us hang out I think :)

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

hojusimpson posted:

Most sites state numbers in the 3 GB range. I think Forza 3's second disc was 2 GB, but someone here will correct me.

I've got 3.5GB of Forza content according to my Xbox, which is just disk 2 of the Ultimate Stig's Platinum edition and my profile save. I didn't install disk 1 and I've never bought any DLC. I'd be surprised if F4 is much more than that off the bat. unless you install disk 1.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Guess I'll just bite the bullet and pick up the 250GB version. That'll leave me some room for other stuff if I decide I like the Xbox more than my PS3. Excited to race against some goons!

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

xelpmoc posted:

I got the same email this morning, but just now I got this: "We wanted to let you know that item(s) from order (Order # XXX) placed on 10/07/2011 have shipped.", tracking number included.

Same here, got the Dread Email and now the "Hey, your item is on the way" Email.

Please for the love of god let me just get my loving expensive virtual car racing game next Tuesday.

As to everyone else who knows for sure they are getting their copy; be very glad because at this point it feels like I'm being raped and there's nothing I can do about it :(

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
The guy at GameSTOP was very smug when I told him other places were canceling pre-orders.

blodycoughbynewport
Oct 26, 2008

Sponsored by Big tobacco!

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Same here, got the Dread Email and now the "Hey, your item is on the way" Email.

Please for the love of god let me just get my loving expensive virtual car racing game next Tuesday.

As to everyone else who knows for sure they are getting their copy; be very glad because at this point it feels like I'm being raped and there's nothing I can do about it :(

I guess I'm the only person not to get a "jk" email yet. I checked the order details page and now it says "estimated arrival: Tuesday,10/25/2011-Tuesday,11/08/2011"

I sent support an email too, but I guess they don't work on weekends.
:smith:

hojusimpson
Mar 30, 2011

ANAmal.net posted:

I've got 3.5GB of Forza content according to my Xbox, which is just disk 2 of the Ultimate Stig's Platinum edition and my profile save. I didn't install disk 1 and I've never bought any DLC. I'd be surprised if F4 is much more than that off the bat. unless you install disk 1.

Oh, right: the platinum edition (and potential DLC, which you didn't have). That was dumb of me to forget both of those alternatives.

For the one(s) asking about storage methods: I have a launch console and, as folks have suggested, boosted my storage space with USB drives. It works quite well, gives some flexibility and was understandably cheap.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
I just spent $300 I couldn't really afford on the CSR wheel + standard pedals. gently caress you Forza 4 thread!

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Been playing the demo and have been having a blast despite never playing any of the other forza games. Is it possible to use manual shifting with a controller in the demo (I think I've read that there are no alternate control schemes in the demo) or can you only use manual/+clutch if you're using a wheel+pedals setup? I've gotten used to playing "expert" settings (with automatic) but would like to try manual shifting out down the line.

My other question is are you required to have a clean lap before you can have another clean lap? Like if I clip another car or wall in lap 1, my lap 2 automatically starts out as dirty. Is it supposed to be like this where it takes a full clean lap 2 to try for a clean lap 3?

I'll probably be picking this up when it comes out towards the end of the week after I'm done with a full week of midterms.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Residency Evil posted:

It's a bit late, but it's 2.85GB.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Good Dog posted:

My other question is are you required to have a clean lap before you can have another clean lap? Like if I clip another car or wall in lap 1, my lap 2 automatically starts out as dirty. Is it supposed to be like this where it takes a full clean lap 2 to try for a clean lap 3?
It depends on when the lap goes dirty. From what I remember, as long as you didn't dirty the lap in the last section of the track prior to the start/finish, the next lap will start clean.

If you do botch the run in the last section, rewind past the incident and complete the lap. The rewind will mark the lap as dirty, but the next one will start clean.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
Also, hitting cars seems to be much worse about invalidating your next lap than just going off course or rewinding. So hit that rewind button if you tap another car.

Walter White
Jul 19, 2011

Good Dog posted:

Been playing the demo and have been having a blast despite never playing any of the other forza games. Is it possible to use manual shifting with a controller in the demo (I think I've read that there are no alternate control schemes in the demo) or can you only use manual/+clutch if you're using a wheel+pedals setup? I've gotten used to playing "expert" settings (with automatic) but would like to try manual shifting out down the line.
Yeah, you can use manual+clutch with a controller, you just set shifting to manual+clutch in the assists menu. On a controller the clutch is the left bumper.

Is anyone else going to bypass this game until they release an Ultimate Collection like they did with Forza 3? I totally ignored Forza 3 until the Ultimate Collection was gifted to me by a friend. To my surprise I realized I not only had all of the previous DLC content, but I had three extra cars that only the UC had. I'm just worried about being locked out of some awesome cars like I would have been if I had bought Forza 3 on release.

The Forza 4 is amazing, though, which makes me feel torn. I love how much more sensitive and empowering the handling is on a controller compared to 3, as I'm too poor to buy a wheel. I want Forza 4, but I don't want to buy a ton of DLC or new copies of the game to get all the cars I want. What to do...

Dinosorcerer
Sep 2, 2011

Sunday Punch posted:

Also, hitting cars seems to be much worse about invalidating your next lap than just going off course or rewinding. So hit that rewind button if you tap another car.

Expanding on this, it would appear that if your lap is invalidated only for rewinding, you'll get a clean slate on your next lap.

Hitting other cars and going off track in the last sector will invalidate your next lap, but if you rewind these incidents instead of playing on, and avoid them you'll start the next lap clean.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Walter White posted:

Yeah, you can use manual+clutch with a controller, you just set shifting to manual+clutch in the assists menu. On a controller the clutch is the left bumper.

How do you shift. :downs: I've tried all the buttons and sticks and stuff and nothing seems to shift. Clutch and up/down shift don't seem to be listed in the controls screen during loading.

Thanks for the tips about using rewind to fix an last minute incidents, I'll have to turn that back on. Now to try and get a decent lap on the last rivals course, good god is fighting a bunch of sports cars doing 40mph going 3 wide annoying. I've had plenty of awesome (for me) laps ruined by cars literally changing lanes and side swiping me down the home straight.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sex Vicar posted:

EA thought they were going to be competing in the sim market with the Need For Speed: Shift spin-off which is probably why they yanked the licence. Of course Shift 2 bombed spectacularly so it's unlikely they will be going back to it. So hey, maybe Porsche DLC in the future once EA gets over it's own hump.

They won't be going back to it, at least not anytime soon and on a different developer. Slightly Mad parted ways with EA on bitter terms. SMS is now making a PC exclusive sim, they are going back to their SimBin days.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.

Good Dog posted:

How do you shift. :downs: I've tried all the buttons and sticks and stuff and nothing seems to shift. Clutch and up/down shift don't seem to be listed in the controls screen during loading.

Thanks for the tips about using rewind to fix an last minute incidents, I'll have to turn that back on. Now to try and get a decent lap on the last rivals course, good god is fighting a bunch of sports cars doing 40mph going 3 wide annoying. I've had plenty of awesome (for me) laps ruined by cars literally changing lanes and side swiping me down the home straight.

1. Make sure you've set manual transmission in the difficulty menu
2. B to upshift, X to downshift, clutch is left bumper

So it looks like upgrading a car's exhaust now actually gives you a visually different exhaust tip/muffler. So that's cool.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Welp, I think my Fanatec Porsche Turbo S wheel is having a complete mental loving breakdown. Fired up GT5 a bit earlier (graphics better than I remembered, only took 30 minutes from turning the PS3 on to start playing, what with all the updates) and despite having taken my Clubsport pedals apart this morning to lubricate the brake, I started getting the same problem I was having before where the brake shows 10-15% pressure when I'm not touching it. Switched back to Forza 4 and it started going bananas - pausing and unpausing the game at almost 10 Hz, which shouldn't have anything to do with the pedals because none of them control pausing the game! I switched over to the CSR Elite pedals and the problems remained, so I think that it's the wheel, or possibly both the wheel and the pedals that are hosed. I'm getting to the point where I want them to replace both, because this is just loving annoying.

If you're reading this and are panicking now because you just bought a CSR, don't worry, that wheel hasn't been giving me any problems! Any other PTSW owners having similar problems?

yes we nyan posted:

You have the game, correct? Is it true that they put in other famous real life laps, specifically senna's lap around suzuka and such?

I did see a Senna/Suzuka Rival challenge, yes. I'll take closer look at it tomorrow and report back.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

Sunday Punch posted:

So it looks like upgrading a car's exhaust now actually gives you a visually different exhaust tip/muffler. So that's cool.
Is there new info in this? I know several reports said this from the S13 picture showing a different exhaust, but several body kits in 3 changed the exhaust as well.

yes we nyan
Aug 17, 2007

ha, ha, haaa~
Also, if people are still throwing money around, could someone hook me up with an LF-A as well? I hate to ask, but there it is. Thanks!

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

Does anyone know if importing vinyls can be done more than once, at the start of the game? Like, if I wanted to go back to Forza 3 and get some vinyls off a car that I didn't have saved as a group when I originally imported my profile into 4.

alr
May 14, 2009
http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/underthehood2/

quote:

What about my livery designs? How do I bring them from Forza 3 into Forza 4?

As all of the Forza 3 cars have changed for Forza 4 (primarily in the form of cockpit, damage, and shader upgrades) we can’t import entire liveries—they just don’t map correctly. However, we do support layer group importing. Layer groups are the car-agnostic groups of vinyl shapes you can create and stamp on any car in Forza 3 and Forza 4. These are not imported with your profile after the first race. These are imported in the livery editor area. You don’t choose which ones to import. It’s an all or nothing deal. You go to “My Designs” in Forza 4 and are automatically asked about importing all groups. If you say “yes,” they all show up in our catalogue.

Doesn't sound like it's a one off, just that every time you do it you get everything at once, rather than being able to pick and choose your new Forza 3 vinyls.

Also, goddamn Rivals mode. The demo alone has made me swear far more than Mario Kart could ever do. This and online racing is going to devour my free time.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

For 'Need for Speed'? Why the hell would a manufacturer known for performance sign an exclusive agreement for an arcade game, rather than a simulation? Is this too stupid of a question considering the only answer will have to use the $ symbol?

This is a really dumb question. All Porsche gives a poo poo about is that EA is giving them a lot of money, not that you think Forza is better than Need for Speed.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Dr JonboyG posted:

Welp, I think my Fanatec Porsche Turbo S wheel is having a complete mental loving breakdown. Fired up GT5 a bit earlier (graphics better than I remembered, only took 30 minutes from turning the PS3 on to start playing, what with all the updates) and despite having taken my Clubsport pedals apart this morning to lubricate the brake, I started getting the same problem I was having before where the brake shows 10-15% pressure when I'm not touching it. Switched back to Forza 4 and it started going bananas - pausing and unpausing the game at almost 10 Hz, which shouldn't have anything to do with the pedals because none of them control pausing the game! I switched over to the CSR Elite pedals and the problems remained, so I think that it's the wheel, or possibly both the wheel and the pedals that are hosed. I'm getting to the point where I want them to replace both, because this is just loving annoying.

If you're reading this and are panicking now because you just bought a CSR, don't worry, that wheel hasn't been giving me any problems! Any other PTSW owners having similar problems?

I did see a Senna/Suzuka Rival challenge, yes. I'll take closer look at it tomorrow and report back.

Mine had started pausing the game, and twitching in the force feedback. I made a video, and they fixed it for me. I lubricated my brake and the brake issue stopped.

siig
Apr 4, 2005

Being nice is the shit ...
I can gift some LFAs, I have many millions of FM3 credits sitting around not doing anything. Send me a friend request, my gt is rgoer (yes misspelled like that), I'll gift LFAs tomorrow morning.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Dr JonboyG posted:

Hmm. Do you think a firmware flash might fix it?

siig posted:

I can gift some LFAs, I have many millions of FM3 credits sitting around not doing anything. Send me a friend request, my gt is rgoer (yes misspelled like that), I'll gift LFAs tomorrow morning.

<3 you. Request sent!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

siig posted:

Won't turn down an offer like that, just sent you a friend request.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

blodycoughbynewport posted:

I guess I'm the only person not to get a "jk" email yet. I checked the order details page and now it says "estimated arrival: Tuesday,10/25/2011-Tuesday,11/08/2011"

I sent support an email too, but I guess they don't work on weekends.
:smith:

Did you get express shipping? I paid a little extra out the rear end for it just to be sure and my order says this;

quote:

Shipped on : Saturday , 10/08/2011 EXPRESS estimated arrival : Saturday , 10/08/2011 - Tuesday , 10/11/2011

• Locked thread