Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brace posted:

I've been kind of interested in Deus Ex : HR because of a lack of things to play recently, what can it be related to? I've never played the original one, but have played a fair share of RPGs in the past.

It's kind of an odd blend of FPS, RPG and stealth game. I guess the closest recent game you could compare it to would be Alpha Protocol but most of Alpha Protocol is a lot more simple and straightforward. (Aside from the dialogue options which are vastly more complex then Deus Ex could ever get.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

VDay posted:

Witcher and Witcher 2?

I liked the Witcher, but I'm waiting until I get a new graphics card before playing the sequel.

I was thinking more along the lines of games with a party that has banter and so on, rather than the more lone wolfy style of the Witcher.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Dragon Age: Origins is pretty good for party banter if you haven't played it yet and is just a good game overall.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
You're solo in it, but I'd probably say the funniest dialogue I've seen in a game for the past decade or so was Divinity II.

Yeah, I know it only satisfies half your requirements. Sorry. (More people should be playing Divinity II.)

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I bought Witcher 2 and I still plan on playing it one of these days but the first time I started it up (I had downloaded one of the goon saves so I could get some good starting equip) I had a bunch of guys talking about poo poo I had no idea about, knew none of the controls, and had no idea what I was supposed to be doing but that's probably because of that witcher 1 save I had downloaded.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Brace posted:

I bought Witcher 2 and I still plan on playing it one of these days but the first time I started it up (I had downloaded one of the goon saves so I could get some good starting equip) I had a bunch of guys talking about poo poo I had no idea about, knew none of the controls, and had no idea what I was supposed to be doing but that's probably because of that witcher 1 save I had downloaded.

Supposedly that's just how the game is, and playing Witcher 1 won't prepare you any more.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Brace posted:

Start it over again. Just a week or two ago it received a huge patch (2.0) adding a ton of neat things, one of which is a very nice tutorial.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
Anyone here played Breath of Death VII or Cthulhu Saves the World? I'm playing Cthulhu at the moment, it's pretty much a lovecraftian dragon quest, nice combat system, lot of hidden dungeons and reasonably good dungeon design, they were going to have a sidequest system but it seems they had to scrap that, which is a shame.

Still, £2 for both of them on Steam is not to be sniffed at

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Polite Tim posted:

Anyone here played Breath of Death VII or Cthulhu Saves the World? I'm playing Cthulhu at the moment, it's pretty much a lovecraftian dragon quest, nice combat system, lot of hidden dungeons and reasonably good dungeon design, they were going to have a sidequest system but it seems they had to scrap that, which is a shame.

Still, £2 for both of them on Steam is not to be sniffed at

I've been playing them off-and-on for the last month or so - definitely worth the $2.99 I spent on Steam for the double pack. They're pretty fun games, though CStW is so much better than BoD that I'd recommend anyone buying them to start with BoD. Right now I'm playing through the bonus modes for CStW; Highlander Mode is a total bitch and requires tons of grinding. I don't know if I'll ever bother with Insane Mode or Score Attack, though.... they're good games, but not "I'm gonna run this half a dozen times" good.

Captain Vittles fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 10, 2011

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
nevermind :downs:

Brace fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 10, 2011

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I lost my Witcher 1 saves a long time ago (I never expected it to get a sequel.) If I import a save, what decisions have an impact in the Witcher 2? They can be major or minor.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

HondaCivet posted:

Talking about VC1 reminds me . . . how has Skies of Arcadia held up? I remember that it was well-acclaimed at the time but is it worth going back and playing now?

I don't know if it's held up as I haven't played it since the days of the Dreamcast, but I do know that no other game has ever made me care as much about its characters.

I distinctly remember, and this is a big spoiler so only those who have played Skies of Arcadia should read it, when Drachma returned after being "dead" for quite some time I actually shouted aloud in excitement "Captain!!" I cared that he was back, and I believed in his characterization enough that he was "the captain" to me, not just "a party member."

I love that drat game, and wish it/my Dreamcast weren't stolen.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Node posted:

I lost my Witcher 1 saves a long time ago (I never expected it to get a sequel.) If I import a save, what decisions have an impact in the Witcher 2? They can be major or minor.

Heart of the flaming rose shows up, you get some swords imported that are useless if you own any dlc whatsoever or get to chapter 1, some people say some things I think, like the dwarf dude acts a certain way kind of.

It's not really important to anything really.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Wendell posted:

I love that drat game, and wish it/my Dreamcast weren't stolen.

There is also an enhanced edition available for Gamecube if you have that or a Wii.

edit: VVV Ah, I don't know how well it's held up, actually. I was just trying to let Wendell know he could play it again even though he no longer has his Dreamcast. However, now I'm going to have to get the drat thing from my parents house next time I go there so I can see if it's still fun. I don't think I ever beat it :(

Xenix fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 10, 2011

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Xenix posted:

There is also an enhanced edition available for Gamecube if you have that or a Wii.

This is the version I have actually. They lowered the encounter rate among other things to improve the playability.

And yes I was asking about a game I already have. I'm trying to cut down my backlog. Sounds like this one is staying though.

HondaCivet fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 10, 2011

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

If I'm on (I think) chapter 11 or just starting chapter 11 in FF13, how long will it take to beat the game if I ignore stuff like the sidequests until later?

Like, in hours?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If I'm on (I think) chapter 11 or just starting chapter 11 in FF13, how long will it take to beat the game if I ignore stuff like the sidequests until later?

Like, in hours?

I'd say about 5 or so? If you just ignore every sidequest and truck right on through, that sounds about right. Maybe a bit long just due to the volume of cutscenes.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Chas McGill posted:

Question: I'm after an interesting PS1/PS2 or PC RPG (can be Western or Japanese) that has fun dialogue and characters. Gameplay that is more action based than grindy is a plus, but not essential.

Favourite JRPGs: Xenogears and Persona 4.
Favourite WRPGs: Fallout 2 and Baldur's Gate II.

Fallout: New Vegas?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Amazon's (Non-Lightning) Video Game Deal of the Day is $10 off the PSP remake of SMT: Persona 2 Innocent Sin. I'd probably jump on this if my backlog of RPGs wasn't so comically large. :smith:

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Xenix posted:

Unfortunately it runs pretty awful in emulators for both the DC and Dolphin versions. I recently tried playing it with Dolphin and by the time I got to the desert dungeon it was crashing too often to realistically get through the joint.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I remember it crashed every now and then on the Gamecube hardware too.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Anyone looking to buy Reasonance of Fate and Folklore? This thread is selling them in a bundle but I don't want those games.

Anyways, been playing alot of dark souls recently. Love that game, it actually has given me no time to play P2P.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

I've never played any of the Gothic games, which one would you guys recommend to start with?

I don't really care about graphics so I would be cool with starting with one of the older ones. I'm more interested in things like being able to have an impact on the world, being able to choose how the story plays out and messing around with a whole bunch of stats and other interesting gameplay stuff.

According to the terrible Metacritic user reviews the first two Gothic games are great while the third and fourth are complete trash that not even retarded console babbies could enjoy and I should get just Risen instead, is this an accurate assessment?

Edit: Quote is not edit.

itsnice2bnice fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Oct 14, 2011

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I can't say much about the others but I played Gothic 2 for the first time last year and had a blast. This was after asking the same question to some friends and being told to start with 2. I've heard 1 is really dated and has real interface issues which can be incredibly annoying, the controls are apparently hand breaking. Also yeah 3 and 4 are supposed to be trash according to every opinion I've seen.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

I can't say much about the others but I played Gothic 2 for the first time last year and had a blast. This was after asking the same question to some friends and being told to start with 2. I've heard 1 is really dated and has real interface issues which can be incredibly annoying, the controls are apparently hand breaking. Also yeah 3 and 4 are supposed to be trash according to every opinion I've seen.

That's a shame since I purchased the bundle on Steam. I was kinda hoping that the extremely negative opinions about the third and fourth were just regular vitriolic internet nerd hyperbole. Oh well, depending on my bandwith usage I might give all of them a try anyway.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

a 16 year old girl posted:

That's a shame since I purchased the bundle on Steam. I was kinda hoping that the extremely negative opinions about the third and fourth were just regular vitriolic internet nerd hyperbole. Oh well, depending on my bandwith usage I might give all of them a try anyway.

3 is quite playable once the install you community patch and you can't really fault its ambition. The Forsaken Gods expansion and 4 are pure trash though.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

a 16 year old girl posted:

Do this. I just finished a playthrough of Gothic 1 last week after not playing it since it first came out and it's still a really good game. For the first 10 minutes or so seemed really clunky but after then I got used to it. The trading interface is really the only thing that remained terrible throughout the game. You'll appreciate the series a whole lot more starting with it too, as a lot of recurring characters are first introduced there.

As mentioned, Gothic 3 is perfectly playable with the community patch; it's still not as good as the first two games but makes up for it with the enormous world and the sheer amount of stuff to do. It may just be me though, but since I upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit I can't play more than a few minutes without a CTD. YMMV.

The negative things said about Gothic 4 aren't vitriolic nerd hyperbole unfortunately, it's total poo poo. If you want to play a successor to Gothic 3 play Risen instead--it's Gothic 4 in everything but name. (Seriously, the plot even could fit perfectly in with the end of Gothic 3)

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
Just got Dark Souls about a week ago and I will say that it has leapt above any recent RPG. Playing in cold with no guides or FAQs and just feeling your way through the game is extremely satisfying and terrifying. Yes the game is rather difficult until you get a handle on the combat. But apart from the very beginning areas and learning curve the game really picks up.

It reminds me of Castlevania Symphony of the Night for DS mixed Oblivion, with awesome loot like Diablo games. Castlevania most of all with the large varied areas inside, the enemies respawning in areas, and the numerous tries it will take you to beat a boss.

I'm posting this in here because I'm too scared of going into the Dark Souls thread because of all the spoilers. The sense of discovery really has me hooked, I've read no guides and only checked a couple minor things on the wiki.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Any suggestions for games where you can build viable gimmick characters or parties? I'm looking for things that seem entertaining like playing a jinxed HtH dude in Fallout 1/2 or a warcry-based Barbarian in D2 as opposed to pure challenge-based gimmicks like an all White Mage party in FF1. Obviously, some of that comes down to personal preference, but I hope you get the idea.

I'd prefer something I can play on a Wii, PS2, or a 4yo laptop, but I've been thinking about getting a 360 or PS3 now that I have a newish TV instead of a 15 year old TV that didn't even have RCA jacks.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

whydirt posted:

Any suggestions for games where you can build viable gimmick characters or parties? I'm looking for things that seem entertaining like playing a jinxed HtH dude in Fallout 1/2 or a warcry-based Barbarian in D2 as opposed to pure challenge-based gimmicks like an all White Mage party in FF1. Obviously, some of that comes down to personal preference, but I hope you get the idea.

I'd prefer something I can play on a Wii, PS2, or a 4yo laptop, but I've been thinking about getting a 360 or PS3 now that I have a newish TV instead of a 15 year old TV that didn't even have RCA jacks.

I'm just pimping out Xenoblade Chronicles at this point but one of the tank-y characters you get in it has skills that cause his evasion to go up the less armour he wears, so he becomes a viable nude tank. :v:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm just pimping out Xenoblade Chronicles at this point but one of the tank-y characters you get in it has skills that cause his evasion to go up the less armour he wears, so he becomes a viable nude tank. :v:

I want to get Xenoblade, but I'm still holding out for Nintendo to un-gently caress themselves and get the game out here in NA in time for the holidays. If they don't have it out by January, I'll just frickin' get it. I'm still in awe that NoA are being such stubborn asses about it.

KoB
May 1, 2009

SpaceDrake posted:

I want to get Xenoblade, but I'm still holding out for Nintendo to un-gently caress themselves and get the game out here in NA in time for the holidays. If they don't have it out by January, I'll just frickin' get it. I'm still in awe that NoA are being such stubborn asses about it.

Its already translated, just send us some copies :argh:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

KoB posted:

Its already translated, just send us some copies :argh:

Yeah! If XSeed, NISA, and Atlus can make money off limited releases of niche RPGs then Nintendo can too. Especially when it's already been translated. SpaceDrake seems to be right, they're just being stubborn assholes.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I think of it this way: by importing it, my money went to NoE, who are the ones who took a chance on this game and spent money getting it translated, instead of NoA, who have been stupid assholes this whole time.

I'd love to play Dark Souls without any guidance in theory but in practice I'd just be hosed. Plus it's very fun to commiserate with others about.

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

Paper Diamonds posted:

I'm posting this in here because I'm too scared of going into the Dark Souls thread because of all the spoilers. The sense of discovery really has me hooked, I've read no guides and only checked a couple minor things on the wiki.

It's a hell of a magnificent game, especially visually, but after I beat Smough and Ornstein, I decided my feelings toward the game were entirely too similar to the ways I'd see people in abusive or failing relationships cope with their stress -- go into it with great expectations, get sucker punched a few times and justify it (oh it's just this once // but it's such a lovely game and it's been good so far!), continue being abused, get desensitized to it, decide to put the game down for a bit... then think of the "good times" you had and decide to go back to it and repeat the cycle.

I ended up selling it because I decided I can't play games that stress me out anymore. I beat Demon's Souls, for reference. Good luck with the game though. Although I think Dark Souls' singleplayer game is much more engrossing and compelling to play, I just feel it has more frustrating sucker punches thrown at you. Umbasa forbid you ever get cursed multiple times without the proper item to cure it. If you can still keep yourself playing with no outside assistance at that point, then that game is made for you.

But god drat that game was beautiful. Wish they'd release something like that on PC. Being able to control the camera without having to resort to lock-ons and attack at the same time would make the game a fair bit less frustrating.

Anyhow, I got Atelier Totori today -- quite the contrast from the above-mentioned game. Only a few hours into it, but it definitely does seem more enjoyable than Rorona, for whatever reason. I think it's because of a lack of a the quarterly deadlines. In Rorona, you'd have the quarterly deadlines, then you'd have the request deadlines on top of that, and the time spent traveling and synthesizing.

In Totori, the only real deadlines you need to worry about are the requests, and I guess the three-year mark for when you renew your Adventurer's License. I assume it's still favorable to be frugal with your time, but it feels like I can be fairly laid back about it too. The characters seem more charismatic this time, although admittedly I didn't get far in Rorona. "Ack! Dad, where'd you come from?!"

And I will only mention Dead Space 2 here because it's somewhat of a spiritual successor to System Shock 1/2. I was a bit disappointed with it -- buy the first one instead, and don't get the second unless you really want more of the same.

Now, if only Dungeon Siege 3 would drop to $20.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

HondaCivet posted:

I'd love to play Dark Souls without any guidance in theory but in practice I'd just be hosed. Plus it's very fun to commiserate with others about.

Just do what I do: don't go to the wiki/thread, find a buddy or two playing it and team up that way. It's like being a kid and swapping tips on the playground again except you all know how to curse now and the game is pulling some Ninja Gaiden poo poo on you at every turn.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Just do what I do: don't go to the wiki/thread, find a buddy or two playing it and team up that way. It's like being a kid and swapping tips on the playground again except you all know how to curse now and the game is pulling some Ninja Gaiden poo poo on you at every turn.

This ones pretty good: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=448148 Ive been getting lots of tips there. You guys might be interested in looking up how to get the drake sword, it really helps.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

softcorps posted:

:words:

Haha, I went out of my way to get Dark Souls while I was in the middle of Atelier Totori so that I'd have Totori to play if I needed a DS break. The games are just about polar opposites. I haven't had to do it yet but I'm going through DS pretty slowly so I'm sure I will need a vacation to Alanya/Arland soon.

I am pretty nervous about eventually hitting a wall in DS where I just can't get any further. However I regret being too afraid of Demon's Souls to give it a try so I'm not going to give up on Dark Souls easily. Hopefully by the time I get close to that "wall" people will have the game figured out better.

And I totally already have the Drake Sword. :colbert:

I feel bad derailing this thread into Dark Souls talk when we already have a thread but . . . loving hell people, just get on IRC instead of spamming ARGH THE CAPRA DEMON and ARGH I'M CURSED gently caress THIS GAME 5 times a page. It's impossible to actually discuss anything in that thread because it fills up so fast with people all whining about the exact same poo poo.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Totori really improved a lot of the small gameplay things that were annoying in Rorona

You can now complete requests with items in your container and sell/buy directly from/to your container.
You can select multiple items (hold x, move the cursor, it will select everything it touches).
They changed how traits work (you can chose which traits go om the synthesized item).
Turning in higher quality items actually improves the reward you get.
You can see the turn order during battles.
There's probably more, but I haven't played that much yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Tamba posted:

Totori really improved a lot of the small gameplay things that were annoying in Rorona

Most significantly: you're just given a world and told to go have fun. I think that's still by and large the absolute best change they made.

Other bits:
- Full cataloguing of what's where once you know about it, visible from the world map.
- Relationship with characters rises naturally as you walk around with them to the point where you can do all their character quests without doing any item requests.
- Ability to register items hits a whole lot earlier.

Later on you'll also get:
- Faster world map movement
- The ability to warp back to either Atelier
- Faster gathering speed.