Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

freebooter posted:

But I've heard Enfields are produced in India and notoriously unreliable. This would be my only bike and my daily commuting vehicle, so that would be an issue.

Yes, so this would be a bad idea. The 500 is worse than the 350 as well, supposedly.

I have to believe almost anything else advertised for $4,500 would be a better choice for a daily commuter.

In fact, I did a search for just that on that site, and the only exception I could see on page 1 was a Beeza Bantam. Everything else sounded much more confidence inspiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Saga posted:

I have to believe almost anything else advertised for $4,500 would be a better choice for a daily commuter.

That's just a coincidence and something I need to bear in mind, it's not my primary objective. A bike is my only vehicle and I really want a cool one.

The price kind of caught my eye because my current bike (Kawasaki KLX250) was also $4500 and I'm hoping to sell it for not much less.

What I'm basically looking for is a modern bike that looks like a vintage bike (since actual vintage bikes are loving expensive.) Other models that seem to match the Enfield on this are the Yamaha SR500 and Kawasaki W650/W800. But those all seem to be at least 7 grand, at least in Australia.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

freebooter posted:

That's just a coincidence and something I need to bear in mind, it's not my primary objective. A bike is my only vehicle and I really want a cool one.

The price kind of caught my eye because my current bike (Kawasaki KLX250) was also $4500 and I'm hoping to sell it for not much less.

What I'm basically looking for is a modern bike that looks like a vintage bike (since actual vintage bikes are loving expensive.) Other models that seem to match the Enfield on this are the Yamaha SR500 and Kawasaki W650/W800. But those all seem to be at least 7 grand, at least in Australia.

Fair enough.

My impression of Bullets is that they are basically the horrors of an old British bike compounded by the horrors of Indian engineering, manufacturing and QC processes from about the same period.

Of course there are many British beardists who hate them on principle (bigotry being the principle I guess) and will make almost any claim about them in order to discredit the product. On the other hand, since they are basically reverse-engineered Enfields produced in the third world, it's not an outlandish notion.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Apparently the company was taken over by a more professional one in '94, and this is a '95 model. Still an Indian one though, and it feels racist, but if there's anything that travelling in the third world taught me it's that Eastern companies are always sloppier and less professional than their Western counterparts.

If it's still available I'm gonna go take a look at it, which can't hurt.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
tl;dr: my 250 Nighthawk got stolen and the local landlord might owe me a bike, skip to "Criteria" to avoid the story.

Background: I moved into DC and sold my car, so primary transport is subway and bicycle, and I frequently use motorbike for errands/visits far off the subway, two-up for dates, or cruising backroads outside the city.

I had a Honda CB250 Nighthawk, until today when I went outside and it was gone. Complicated story, but a local landlord decided to repave a strip of land he (contestedly) claims. My bike was parked there, and there was no "no parking" signage, but since it was in the way of the paving the property manager had his workmen lift it up and move it to the backyard of an abandoned house down the row, it was there for a day and then disappeared. I may have totally lucked out though, since the DC cops said that the property manager performed an illegal tow (he's required to call the City and have it tagged before moving it, regardless of whose property its on), so he/his boss may be fully liable even if they did not ultimately drag it into a truck bed and drive off with it.

I'm hoping that the local landlord will pay full replacement cost to avoid legal proceedings, and I'd really like to get another bike sooner than later. I had a 2001 Triumph Bonneville, but it felt really top-heavy to me, felt like a boat trying to maneuver and park in small city streets, etc. Felt like a rock-soid dream at 75mph on the interstate in a straight line, but that's not how I generally ride. The Honda 250 was almost ideal for most street driving, but on the few occasions I wanted to go on 50mph+ highways or urban stretches of interstate, it was short on pickup and easily wind-buffetted.

My criteria:

- I like really light and maneuverable; the Nighthawk was 290lbs dry, and that was great except on highways where I could have had a little more weight for stability. The Bonnie was 400lb dry, and again felt kind of top-heavy and didn't turn so great.
- I don't need to go blazing fast; don't expect to go more than 80mph (while passing on highways) basically ever. That said, I'd like to get from 60mph to 80mph without taking most of a mile to get up to it.
- Comfortably doing two-up is important, though not necessarily 8 hours of it, just comfy enough for an hour or so at a time for local riding.
- Under $5K used would be good, ideally well under.

- Looks-wise I can go a few different ways: I really like older-looking WWII-ish bikes like the Enfield, BMW 60/5. From that look, I could go a little cruisery so long as it's not a HD monstrosity or has my legs straight out; Honda Shadow looks reasonable and comfy. I like the look of dual-sports, but I wear 30" length trousers so a lot of them are too tall for me. Not big into sporters, except that I really like smallish, very minimalist naked bikes like the Ducati Monster. I'd also be more tempted by sport-ish naked bikes that aren't in such an extreme "fetal leaning forward" riding position.

Kind of a broad array of interests, but basically just trying to find a really maneuverable bike that's great for street riding, can handle quieter highways, more minimalist than flashy, and where my short self can reach the ground.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 10, 2011

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
/\/\/\ This post is sort of confusing to me because I have a 30-inch inseam and I'm 6'7" with proportional-looking non-mutant legs. Are bike inseams measured differently?

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
SV650! with a sargeant rear seat.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, you could do a lot worse than a naked SV.

(Also, I am 6'1" with a 32" inseam, so 6'7" with a 30" imseam seems a bit odd.)

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

quote:

/\/\/\ This post is sort of confusing to me because I have a 30-inch inseam and I'm 6'7" with proportional-looking non-mutant legs. Are bike inseams measured differently?

Sorry, I mean I wear trousers of 30" length, I apparently was using the term "inseam" wrong.

quote:

Yeah, you could do a lot worse than a naked SV.

I did have the impression that the SV650 was the standard econo-alternative to the Ducati, so I'll have to check out the SV650 thread, and also read up on the smaller SV variants. I'm having a hard time telling at a glance at forums on Google: are the SV400 and SV325 available enough in the US to even consider, or is the 650 the only reasonable American option?

So far as being a little more upright, and less hunched forward, any particular model or modifications to watch for, other than avoiding the "S" variants? I've seen at least a couple reviews describing the SV650 as a Standard, vice Sport, bike, so that's interesting. EDIT: Huh, at least one guy mentioning that insurance companies consider the SV650 (not "S") a standard, non-sport bike.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 10, 2011

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I did have the impression that the SV650 was the standard econo-alternative to the Ducati, so I'll have to check out the SV650 thread, and also read up on the smaller SV variants. I'm having a hard time telling at a glance at forums on Google: are the SV400 and SV325 available enough in the US to even consider, or is the 650 the only reasonable American option?

The 650 is your only option, and within that, the naked, sport, or fully-faired sport are your choices.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

So far as being a little more upright, and less hunched forward, any particular model or modifications to watch for, other than avoiding the "S" variants? I've seen at least a couple reviews describing the SV650 as a Standard, vice Sport, bike, so that's interesting. EDIT: Huh, at least one guy mentioning that insurance companies consider the SV650 (not "S") a standard, non-sport bike.

Look for the N variant, and avoid the SF as well. On the naked, the handlebars are a bit more up-swept, so it is indeed a standard seating position.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
DC has bad roads - really, really bad, in spots. Traversing those in a naked with high center of gravity and a lot of weight on the front, often at parking lot speeds due to traffic, can be fairly stressful. If this sounds like something you'll encounter often, a more cruiser-y bike like the Shadow with a bit more rake and more weight on the back might work better.

Compared to a modern sportybike the 600 doesn't have the power to pull a greasy string out of a cat's rear end, but after a 250 Nighthawk it might feel pretty sprightly; if you look around used you can find 800s and 1100s with more pep. Avoid ones with heavy-looking body stuff, and anything 1300cc and up - they're significantly bigger/heavier.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
It's over $5K, but I really really liked the Kawi Versys (ER6N)that I test rode. The suspension was really plush and I intentionally hit a bunch of potholes, which it took in stride. It's pretty drat ugly and not even close to a cruiser, but it would be my bike of choice for rough city stuff.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
New rider here, just finished my safety class on sunday and I'm looking to get a new bike. I'm looking to spend no more than 3k on my first bike. Here are some local ads that caught my eye

http://boise.craigslist.org/mcd/2612278707.html
2005 Ninja 500r - $2500

http://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/2640732684.html
2006 Ninja 500r - $2300

http://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/2642738215.html
2005 GS500f - $2300

The thing is, none of them are what I am really looking for. My ideal bike is naked style, digital gauge, fuel injected. Are there any bikes in my price range that would have all of these features that I should be looking for instead?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Maybe a naked SV if you can find one in your price range. Everyone will tell you to get a cheap beat up first bike so you won't cry to your mommy when it tips over, then buy your dream boat naked later.

I'm also gay for naked bikes, a monster haunts my dreams.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

savesthedayrocks posted:

New rider here, just finished my safety class on sunday and I'm looking to get a new bike. I'm looking to spend no more than 3k on my first bike. Here are some local ads that caught my eye

http://boise.craigslist.org/mcd/2612278707.html
2005 Ninja 500r - $2500

http://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/2640732684.html
2006 Ninja 500r - $2300

http://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/2642738215.html
2005 GS500f - $2300

The thing is, none of them are what I am really looking for. My ideal bike is naked style, digital gauge, fuel injected. Are there any bikes in my price range that would have all of these features that I should be looking for instead?

It's your first bike mate, not your last. Not to say you shouldn't get something that appeals to you, but I would be willing to compromise if you find something that should be a great beginner bike but not ideal. Worry about being more picky on your next bike, once you have the basics down.

I'm not sure there are any that fit those standards other than a newer SV as mentioned or some newer 600s (new enough for FI, old enough to drop under $3K), the fuel injection and digi gauge holding those back. Not that you want to be throwing a ton of money into a first bike either, but gauges can be swapped.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

savesthedayrocks posted:

Digital like LCD or just electronic? If latter, I am fairly certain a Buell XB9 meets your qualifications and can be had in your price range. But you'd be crazy to get one.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

If I were you, I'd go for a Ninja, pull off most of the plastic, put on frame sliders for when it falls over, then when you're ready to sell just put the beautiful plastic back on and recoup most of your money.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Can I get some noob advice too?

I've never ridden a motorcycle but I've always wanted to. My birthday present this year is going to be taking the MSF as soon as I can get in a class, regardless of whatever else I do. This led to the idea of selling my aging car, since I only really use it to drive about 3 miles to work and occasionally to the grocery store and airport, and replacing it with a cheap motorcycle to putt around the suburbs on for a few years until I can afford a new car. I can share the SUV with my wife and kids for everything else, and I can take it to work whenever the weather is too bad for riding.

I think I understand what I should get for a beginner bike, and I'm mostly looking for used GS500's on Craigslist now. I don't need fast, I don't need sexy, I don't even need pretty. Old, used, ugly is all fine with me as long as it runs properly and is reliable and doesn't chap my soft white-collar rear end while I'm riding.

I am 6'2" 228 pounds, if it matters. Inseam is 34" so I think I will be okay on a smaller bike.

I have the luxury of not really needing to do any of this, plus I'm good with a wrench, as I have had many project cars in the past, so I'm seriously considering a project bike--something I can fix up while still driving my car, especially if it's only a few hundred bucks.

So with that in mind, do any of these examples seem like a good idea? I'm not going to buy anything until I get through the MSF, at the soonest, so what's available will be different then, but I will probably keep seeing stuff like this in the area.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/2632748418.html
83 GS500L project for $225, but no title + "had key made" = stay away?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/2638194863.html
00 GS500E "in good shape" for $945, not a project but suspiciously(?) cheap

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/mcy/2605396080.html
1980 GS500L project for $400, has not run in 5 years

I also found this today, not a project or fixer-upper but also looks good, though I don't know much about the Savage:
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/2640525874.html

I don't have to get a fixer upper...I just think it would be fun and I am always trying to save money (but wisely). If I sell the car first, my budget can go up to $3K for the bike and that opens up more options. I really love the look of the older, naked GS500's, and they seem to have a devoted following and lot of good opinions, so I'm hoping that will be the one for me too.

Thanks!

EDIT

I forgot about this one
http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/mcy/2631277324.html
83 GS550L, needs stuff (conveniently listed), $750

Alceste fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 12, 2011

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Personally, I would go for the 2000. It's running, and would be a great beginner bike. It's generally not a good idea to get something to wrench on as a first bike, even if you have the luxury of doing so.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Endless Mike posted:

Personally, I would go for the 2000. It's running, and would be a great beginner bike. It's generally not a good idea to get something to wrench on as a first bike, even if you have the luxury of doing so.

Definitely this.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Thanks guys. As I was looking back through those links while writing that post, that one sort of jumped out as the best of both options to me too.

The idea of getting an old bike for $200 and Fixing It Up My Way is romantic but probably impractical and, more likely, dangerous for my marriage.

Now I need to locate someone in D/FW who knows the right questions to ask, and what to look for, to bring with me when I go shopping. I have a few friends who ride but the ones who are also mechanical experts live in other states. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Alceste posted:

Thanks guys. As I was looking back through those links while writing that post, that one sort of jumped out as the best of both options to me too.

The idea of getting an old bike for $200 and Fixing It Up My Way is romantic but probably impractical and, more likely, dangerous for my marriage.

Now I need to locate someone in D/FW who knows the right questions to ask, and what to look for, to bring with me when I go shopping. I have a few friends who ride but the ones who are also mechanical experts live in other states. :(

Lotta good info here:
http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

It's overkill, but look over that and then drop back by the thread with any questions you have :)

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Thanks again. Now I'm sorta itchy to go look at that specific one and if everything looks good, maybe try to snag it before I do the MSF course, and get a head start on whatever maintenance it needs before I get my license. Motorcycle trailers are cheaper to rent than I thought.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The owner might even be willing to ride it to you for a price as well.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Alceste posted:

Can I get some noob advice too?

I've never ridden a motorcycle but I've always wanted to. My birthday present this year is going to be taking the MSF as soon as I can get in a class, regardless of whatever else I do. This led to the idea of selling my aging car, since I only really use it to drive about 3 miles to work and occasionally to the grocery store and airport, and replacing it with a cheap motorcycle to putt around the suburbs on for a few years until I can afford a new car. I can share the SUV with my wife and kids for everything else, and I can take it to work whenever the weather is too bad for riding.

I'm in exactly this position too, only I haven't got anything specific in mind for a bike; 6'7" and about 300 to 320 pounds depending on how much work sucks any given month. My main issue is my head is about 67cm around and the largest commercial hat lasts only ever go up to about 65cm (and not usually even that large). Before I look at bikes or take the class, my first priority is to find out if I can even get a good helmet. I'm not interested in a skullcap.

What's the deal? How do bike helmets work, are they only made by big companies or can I find something in my size? Are there good companies and bad ones?

I'm a huge motherfucker, basically. Wear a size 13 in 6E wide for a shoe, too; can I get hardshell motorcycle boots that aren't the Harley side of the spectrum, ie leather cowboy/engineer/lineman boots? Gloves usually fit in a 2XL at least.

Also my wife's in the same frame of mind and she's 4'11". Goooons. v:v:v She can probably find a kid's helmet that fits, but boots will be a problem as well; she wears a women's 4; naturally, in the US, kid's shoes stop at 3 and women's shoes start at 5.

We need bike recommendations too I guess, one for a huge bastard and one for a 90-pound petite woman, both of us new to the hobby. Neither of us is a fan of the hunched-forward style of crotch rockets.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You must look hilarious next to each other.

In any case, the best helmet is the one that fits. They're all basically constructed the same: plastic shell with expanded polystyrene (Styrofoam) liner then a comfort liner. A cursory Google search suggests that at least a few manufacturers make helmets in your size. It might take some searching to find something that works for you, though, since shape is as important as size.

For her boots you *might* be in luck, since there's a lot of European brands that might have smaller sizes that might fit her. Again, it'll take some effort, though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

She should go with a Ninja 250 or a Rebel 250, or perhaps a smaller displacement older UJM, depending on mechanical skill. You should go with a GS500, Ninja 500, or a middleweight UJM. Maybe an SV650 or Ninja 650 if you've got some riding experience.

I know Sanchezz has a huge head and he has had good luck with GMAXX helmets, Suomy also makes a XXXL.

Boots for the wife...there should be a reasonable amount of availability, since there are kids sizes for gear available.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Splizwarf posted:

I'm in exactly this position too, only I haven't got anything specific in mind for a bike; 6'7" and about 300 to 320 pounds depending on how much work sucks any given month. My main issue is my head is about 67cm around and the largest commercial hat lasts only ever go up to about 65cm (and not usually even that large). Before I look at bikes or take the class, my first priority is to find out if I can even get a good helmet. I'm not interested in a skullcap.

What's the deal? How do bike helmets work, are they only made by big companies or can I find something in my size? Are there good companies and bad ones?

I'm a huge motherfucker, basically. Wear a size 13 in 6E wide for a shoe, too; can I get hardshell motorcycle boots that aren't the Harley side of the spectrum, ie leather cowboy/engineer/lineman boots? Gloves usually fit in a 2XL at least.

Also my wife's in the same frame of mind and she's 4'11". Goooons. v:v:v She can probably find a kid's helmet that fits, but boots will be a problem as well; she wears a women's 4; naturally, in the US, kid's shoes stop at 3 and women's shoes start at 5.

We need bike recommendations too I guess, one for a huge bastard and one for a 90-pound petite woman, both of us new to the hobby. Neither of us is a fan of the hunched-forward style of crotch rockets.

I can think of two guys I ride with who fit your physical description and both have helmets and other gear, so it definitely exists, it just may not be a popular size and might need to be ordered in after you get fitted.

Best thing to do with helmets is go into your local motorcycle shop and try some on. Cyclegear sometimes has good selection of helmets. My wife is the same, 90lbs wet and wears a tiny helmet. A good store will be able to order you one in even if they don't have one in stock. I wouldn't just go by the sizing on the website.

About 'good' helmets vs cheap ones - all helmets should be DOT certified which means that the manufacturer claims they meet DOT standard (there is no actual external testing from my understanding), and then more expensive helmets will usually have another certification as well - eg SNELL, ECE. Read up on those see which you like more, but they're all 'good' and will save your head in a crash. edit - by more expensive I don't mean top end helmets, lots of reasonably priced helmets carry another certification as well. Also webbikeworld has a lot of good helmet reviews too.

More expensive helmets usually are lighter, quieter (you'll understand when you get up to freeway speeds for extended periods of time) and more comfortable etc. The actual level of protection is likely on par with cheaper helmets. There are also cheaper brands which in general get good reviews -eg HJC and if you like the fit/comfort you're fine getting those too.

If you're an oddball size, you may have to try on a bunch of helmets and just buy whichever fits (best). For examply we went shopping for my wife with intention to buy a 'decent' mid level helmet as she doesn't ride much. In the end she has an Arai which was very expensive because we seriously could not find another helmet which fit her properly.

Jackets/Gloves/Boots - I have seen boots in size 13 before at the store, I don't know about the width. But really, the same thing applies - go to a store with a decent selection, try on a bunch of stuff and possibly get them to size you up and order something in if required.

Last resort - If you can't get something off the shelf at the store or unable to find a manufacturer who makes your size at all, there are also smaller companies who will custom make gear to fit you, though it is generally more expensive.

GanjamonII fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 12, 2011

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Z3n posted:

I know Sanchezz has a huge head and he has had good luck with GMAXX helmets, Suomy also makes a XXXL.

:argh:

I do have a huge head.. and the GMAX XXXL fits perfectly (after breaking in, pre break in it's a tiny bit snug). I have yet to find an XXXL Suomy locally to try on, but from what I read online the Suomy has a similar shape.

And if it helps at all, my US hat size is right around 8. It's loving huge, and I hate it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Alceste posted:

I am 6'2" 228 pounds, if it matters. Inseam is 34" so I think I will be okay on a smaller bike.

I have a 30" inseam and I fit perfectly fine on my Bandit 600, which is slightly bigger than the GS500. However, I did find that the footpegs on the GS500 I test rode were mounted significantly higher than on my Bandit,. I'd advise you to test ride one, you may find that you have to scrunch up your legs too much for comfort.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Hello goons. I recently sold my 2003 Honda Shadow 600 and am looking to replace it with a bigger bike that can handle interstate speeds and has more than four gears. A neighbor of my parents' is selling a 1999 Honda Shadow 1100 for $2750 and it has 15k miles with a shaft drive. I have no idea what kind of maintenance is needed for a shaft compared to a chain. It seems like this is a pretty fair price for this bike, and looking at it there are two small nicks in the gas tank paint, but to be honest that really doesn't bother me. Only thing I don't like is that it's yellow and black, and my fiancee said it looked like a bumblebee, so it doesn't have the eye appeal v:v:v

I'm looking to spend around $3000 on a newer motorcycle, and it seems like this is right up my alley for a good price, but wanted to get some goon opinions on shaft drives, maintenance for that, and other good alternatives in that price range. I like the cruiser style more than sport bikes. My co-worker that rides suggested I save the money and buy a Harley and "get a real bike" which isn't happening currently.

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 13, 2011

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

According to this you have to change the final drive oil every 8000 miles.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

SaNChEzZ posted:

And if it helps at all, my US hat size is right around 8. It's loving huge, and I hate it.

8 and a half here. :smithicide:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

americanzero4128 posted:

Hello goons. I recently sold my 2003 Honda Shadow 600 and am looking to replace it with a bigger bike that can handle interstate speeds and has more than four gears. A neighbor of my parents' is selling a 1999 Honda Shadow 1100 for $2750 and it has 15k miles with a shaft drive. I have no idea what kind of maintenance is needed for a shaft compared to a chain. It seems like this is a pretty fair price for this bike, and looking at it there are two small nicks in the gas tank paint, but to be honest that really doesn't bother me. Only thing I don't like is that it's yellow and black, and my fiancee said it looked like a bumblebee, so it doesn't have the eye appeal v:v:v

I'm looking to spend around $3000 on a newer motorcycle, and it seems like this is right up my alley for a good price, but wanted to get some goon opinions on shaft drives, maintenance for that, and other good alternatives in that price range. I like the cruiser style more than sport bikes. My co-worker that rides suggested I save the money and buy a Harley and "get a real bike" which isn't happening currently.

Are you attached to the cruiser style?

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Z3n posted:

Are you attached to the cruiser style?

Yeah, I've ridden some crotch rockets but I'm not a fan of them. I do like the BMW R1200 though, it looks more like a sport touring bike and I'd be interested in looking at that style. Not a full on touring bike though.

I'm in Chicago, but will drive ~6 hours for a bike.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

8 and a half here. :smithicide:

Yowza, you might have some difficulty then. I believe Bell or Simpson make 4x helmets.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

americanzero4128 posted:

Yeah, I've ridden some crotch rockets but I'm not a fan of them. I do like the BMW R1200 though, it looks more like a sport touring bike and I'd be interested in looking at that style. Not a full on touring bike though.

I'm in Chicago, but will drive ~6 hours for a bike.

Considered the SV650, FZ6, FZ1 (might be a stretch) or any of the other sport tourers out there? Which R1200 do you like? (R, S, ST, GS, GT, C)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

americanzero4128 posted:

Hello goons. I recently sold my 2003 Honda Shadow 600 and am looking to replace it with a bigger bike that can handle interstate speeds and has more than four gears....

The 1100 would treat you well. It will turn a relatively comfortable RPM on the freeway, compared with the 600. You MIGHT be able to find a Sporster 883 for around $3000 but it will be pretty old, ugly, and you really want a 1200 if it's gonna be a sporty. Shafts are mellow maintenance, replace the oil in em even rougly on schedule and they'll go forever. The shaft might feel a little janky when riding though, coming from a chain, no way around it, nature of the beast.

Older BMW oilhead R models might fall into your price range. R850R, R1100R. You can't be afraid of miles with those, though. Fortunately they have good longevity and are generally very easy to do routine stuff on. K75 or K100 might be an option, too. I see K75s for $2000-3500 all the time.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 13, 2011

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

americanzero4128 posted:

I love shafties myself.

You could spend a little more and get a fairly recent VTX-1300 for around 4k, which is a hell of a bike.

Last time I checked you could get one a few years old for that price in Portland area, so I assume other areas of the US are similar.

I had the same problem with the Shadow as you are having - they're pretty but they're pretty gutless. The VTX solves that nicely and it's gorgeous. It's not sport bike speeds, but it's plenty fast for a cruiser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Z3n posted:

Considered the SV650, FZ6, FZ1 (might be a stretch) or any of the other sport tourers out there? Which R1200 do you like? (R, S, ST, GS, GT, C)

I like the 1200R and 1200GS, but like I said, don't see myself being able to afford those currently.

I hadn't looked at the SV650 but I'll take a look at that.

Backov, I can't afford to go over $3k on this next bike. I'm getting married in 9 months and have to be able to pay for that, and my fiancee isn't happy I'm getting another bike anyway.

clutchpuck, I have been checking craigslist and ebay and haven't seen an 883 in my price range that isn't older than dirt, and even those are still kind of expensive.