Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

There was a thread for a certain manga a while back that was stickied at one point and I'm trying to remember the manga. All I remember is it was really well drawn, it was about a samurai and it had some fourth wall breaking elements according to the OP (or whatever would be a more applicable term for manga; third dimension breaking?).

Anyone know what it is that I'm describing poorly?

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grenadier
Oct 15, 2004

As long as these commoners keep coming, the mountain of corpses will keep growing!
Was it Takemitsu Zamurai? I remember the thread you are talking about but I can't remember if it was for this or something else.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I'm pretty sure it was something else, that doesn't look familiar.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I think Takemitsu Zamurai is the only Samurai-focused manga I've stickied in recent memory.

Drakev
Oct 23, 2010
There is an anime series or movie from my childhood that I have been trying to identify for years, but I remember very little of it. Only a couple of scenes stand out in my memory.

In one scene a group of soldiers are firing at a some terrified people (or possibly creatures similar to humans). One of the soldiers hesitates and is mocked by another soldier. The other scene was probably the ending, and featured a lone woman standing in a desert at night. I think she was holding a baby in her arms.

I am not sure if these scenes are even from the same movie or series, but they would have to be from something that aired on European TV-channels sometime in the mid to late 80s.

usb teledildonics
Oct 10, 2009

those who came before me

Drakev posted:

There is an anime series or movie from my childhood that I have been trying to identify for years, but I remember very little of it. Only a couple of scenes stand out in my memory.

In one scene a group of soldiers are firing at a some terrified people (or possibly creatures similar to humans). One of the soldiers hesitates and is mocked by another soldier. The other scene was probably the ending, and featured a lone woman standing in a desert at night. I think she was holding a baby in her arms.

I am not sure if these scenes are even from the same movie or series, but they would have to be from something that aired on European TV-channels sometime in the mid to late 80s.

Is this a mecha anime?

Drakev
Oct 23, 2010
I am not sure. My memories of this are very vague. I think it was a sci-fi show, since I dimly recall space travel. No memories of mecha thought.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
There were these two animes on anime unleashed on the old G4, one would center around different main characters each show (i remember like episode 7 to be really freaky cause it was about this girl in this hospital or something) and the other centered around this guy who could consume people's inner demons or whatever by pulling giant spiders out of their chests and eating them.

they may have been the same show.

Tadders
Feb 13, 2008
35% Gender Confused

NeoSeeker posted:

There were these two animes on anime unleashed on the old G4, one would center around different main characters each show (i remember like episode 7 to be really freaky cause it was about this girl in this hospital or something) and the other centered around this guy who could consume people's inner demons or whatever by pulling giant spiders out of their chests and eating them.

they may have been the same show.

Boogiepop Phantom.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
So I've been trying to remember a few things for quite a while now. The first show is about soldiers in mechs fighting alien insects of some kind. I remember one episode had a scene where a guy holds an egg in his hands for a few seconds before letting it drop to the ground, smashing it. I remember seeing it on adult swim.

The second one revolves around submarines, where the main character has to go attend some kind of world conference about submarines, but another submarine shows up in his place and starts wrecking poo poo. The main character arrives at the meeting finally and stops the imposter submarine, but his submarine sinks in the process. I think it was named after the submarine in question. It may have been an OVA.

The third one I only vaguely remember. It involved a giant tree of some kind that was destroying a city, and there's a scene where somebody outruns the tree on a motorcycle. That's all I remember. I think it was also on adult swim.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Blue Gender

Submarine 707R

Big O

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Guyver posted:

Blue Gender

Submarine 707R

Big O

That's them, thanks.

Cryptobotanist
Oct 23, 2005

Oh no... Poor me...

Drakev posted:

I'm thinking this is Phoenix 2772. a very loose adaptation of Osamu Tezuka's Phoenix manga.

There is a scene where the main character is firing at a peaceful alien race that are being used for target practice. He doesn't want to and is ridiculed for his weakness.

At the end, he is reborn as a baby and is being held by the woman he loved in his previous life. the last scene takes place on a beach.

The anime was not particularly good, because most Tezuka fans felt it was just a mish-mash of some of the Phoenix manga stories and failed to capture the message of any of them. However, it did have a FANTASTIC score done by Isao Tomita

EDIT: It apparently won some animation awards here in the states, but then, this was in the 80's before Tezuka's Phoenix manga had been translated. It's still not particularly liked amongst Tezuka fans, but I like it at face value. as an adaptation of the manga, it's horrid, but on it's own, it's a decent film

Cryptobotanist fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 21, 2011

Drakev
Oct 23, 2010
I just finished watching Phoenix 2772, and it was definitely the movie I remembered. Turns out my strange memory of an old man with fried eggs for eyes was also from this.

It was rather interesting, but the animation was all over the place. You get a lovely fight against a shape-shifting monster in space, and in the next scene they did not even bother to animate a characters lips when she speaks.

I think I will check out the original manga sometime. I have read a few of Tezuka's works before, and he seems to live up to his reputation.

Pic~
Apr 18, 2003
Cult Member
Need help recalling an manga series I was reading, scanlation release were slow so I forgot about it. But now I want to pick it back up if it's still actively scanlated.

Is set in morden day/not too distance future Japan. An part of a government plan to motivate people to live life to the fullest, when a person is born they are randomly selected and implanted with a chip that would kill them at a pre-determined date in the future.

Main character is a government worker who delivers the notice to the person 48 hours before they are due to die, and then the story follows what happens to that person after being told they are going to die.

if anyone could help, would be great.

Eternal Traveler
Jul 25, 2007
Sacrifice

Pic~ posted:

Need help recalling an manga series I was reading, scanlation release were slow so I forgot about it. But now I want to pick it back up if it's still actively scanlated.

Is set in morden day/not too distance future Japan. An part of a government plan to motivate people to live life to the fullest, when a person is born they are randomly selected and implanted with a chip that would kill them at a pre-determined date in the future.

Main character is a government worker who delivers the notice to the person 48 hours before they are due to die, and then the story follows what happens to that person after being told they are going to die.

if anyone could help, would be great.

Ikigami

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

I'm looking for this manga that I think was about secret communities of dinosaurs in Imperial Russia and think some historical figures were involved. It may have only been like two or three chapters as well.

Pic~
Apr 18, 2003
Cult Member

Eternal Traveler posted:

Ikigami

That's the one, thanks !

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Back when I was a kid, when Anime was still called Japanimation, there was a channel that used to play anime movies every saturday morning like Akira, Vampire Hunter D, M.D. Geist, and I think the Tenchi Muyo movie? (loving so awesome as a kid, doughnuts and anime followed by SNES made for a great goddamn day).

Anyways, during this time I watched a movie...I can't remember much, but there was a scene where the main character, a female, barely squeezes into a little spaceship with a little round yellow guy so they can go save the galaxy or something. That's all I can remember besides really liking it!

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The little round yellow gay part makes me think Birth/Planet Busters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ds6UOnWRTY

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Omglosser posted:

Back when I was a kid, when Anime was still called Japanimation, there was a channel that used to play anime movies every saturday morning like Akira, Vampire Hunter D, M.D. Geist, and I think the Tenchi Muyo movie? (loving so awesome as a kid, doughnuts and anime followed by SNES made for a great goddamn day).

Anyways, during this time I watched a movie...I can't remember much, but there was a scene where the main character, a female, barely squeezes into a little spaceship with a little round yellow guy so they can go save the galaxy or something. That's all I can remember besides really liking it!

I think that's Project A-ko: Uncivil Wars.

Here's the scene with the little round guy.

Mr.Success
Jun 15, 2007

Looking to identify another anime from a while back. A kid's dad dies from a briefcase bomb in the beginning. He is then sent to this orange flying ship to be taken care of. The ship has an on board AI that the kid talks to. There's a scene where the kid and the AI have a discussion about him missing his dad.

Now that I think about it, the dad may have worked on creating the ship and might have tried to make the AI like him to take care of the son because he knew that he was going to die. There were other people aboard the ship, a younger woman and I believe a female robot. They were on some sort of mission and I believe it was a big deal at one point that they stopped and spent some time off of the ship.

quote:

1. In the beginning of the story (so first episode or beginning of the movie) a diplomat or politician gave a speech and then entered a limo (I think) and set off a briefcase bomb killing himself.

2. The son of this diplomat or politician is then either sent or taken to a ship of some sort.

3. On this ship are pilots to mecha, several different pilots.

4. There is a scene, towards the end of the tape, that has two mecha fighting each other in an amusement park, and at one point, in the "It's a small world" ride.

I found this post that no one replied to. It's strange that I don't remember mecha in the anime nor do I remember a final fight scene in a theme park, but it seems this person could be talking about the same thing that I am.

Revolute
Aug 2, 2007

we've got our peace of mind

Mr.Success posted:

Looking to identify another anime from a while back. A kid's dad dies from a briefcase bomb in the beginning. He is then sent to this orange flying ship to be taken care of. The ship has an on board AI that the kid talks to. There's a scene where the kid and the AI have a discussion about him missing his dad.

This was dubbed as Macron-1 by the same people that did Robotech. The original anime is GoShogun, though.

e: This was my favorite VHS tape when I was a kid. Here's a lovely video of the briefcase scene, etc.

Revolute fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 11, 2011

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

There's one movie I saw as a kid that I've been trying to remember for so long now but I barely remember anything of it. I think I saw it on sci-fi, but I'm not sure what year I might have seen it. All I can remember is one scene and even that's kinda vague.

There's some young teenage-looking boy, who I'm pretty sure was the main character, and he's fighting against some bad guy. The boy has his resolve power-up moment, picks up a bazooka to shoot the bad guy, and doesn't realize he was holding it backwards. The rocket flies off behind him and hits a wall in the building they're in, and I think some catwalk thing starts collapsing and he's all upset because he might have injured the woman on it (his sister I think?) Also I'm fairly certain that who or whatever the bad guy is ends up killing the sister right after this.

I've been trying to figure this out for drat long I'm not sure if this is an actual thing I saw or some random rear end dream I actually remembered for some reason.

Mr.Success
Jun 15, 2007

Revolute posted:

This was dubbed as Macron-1 by the same people that did Robotech. The original anime is GoShogun, though.

e: This was my favorite VHS tape when I was a kid. Here's a lovely video of the briefcase scene, etc.

Thank you so much, this is exactly it. Definitely one of my favorites when I was younger too! Glad to see the umbrella gun holds up to the test of time.

TeacherAteMyDog
Nov 28, 2007
KoreaAteMyTeacher

Flython posted:

Thank you. I knew it wasn't obscure like the others but I just could not recall the name.

I hate to do this but thinking so much about series I never finished has left me with one more request. It was a manga with a battling system based on summoning monsters from cards or possibly souls. I believe each character had only one or a small number of monsters. I can remember their being an attack inside a shopping mall and a deadly tournament inside a tower with artificial environments. I think the evil organization used robotic monsters to attack the protagonists home at one point.

I'll be sure to keep an eye on the thread in the unlikely event that I can help someone else as repayment.

I think this is Chaosic Rune. Each character has a deck of cards from which they can summon monsters and items. There are bad guys from the machine society who summon machine monsters. There was a shopping mall scene and a robot tower (base?) scene too but I don't recall it being a tournament but there was a tournament at the start of the manga.

JohnnyDavidson
May 13, 2010

I think Beauty and the Beast should have ended on this scene, because I don't understand symbolism in film and I am literally incapable of recognizing foreshadowing.
I probably won't get anywhere with this as I barely remember anything from this. I only watched like 2 episodes of it. I remember a boy and a girl meet, and then in episode 2 they are in a dump and they find something. If this sounds familiar at all, let me know.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

JohnnyDavidson posted:

I probably won't get anywhere with this as I barely remember anything from this. I only watched like 2 episodes of it. I remember a boy and a girl meet, and then in episode 2 they are in a dump and they find something. If this sounds familiar at all, let me know.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni? (Starts slice of life-ish then gets crazy)

JohnnyDavidson
May 13, 2010

I think Beauty and the Beast should have ended on this scene, because I don't understand symbolism in film and I am literally incapable of recognizing foreshadowing.

AnacondaHL posted:

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni? (Starts slice of life-ish then gets crazy)

Yeah that sounds right. I'll let you know if it ends up not being it. Thanks.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Heres one i very vaguely remember. Theres some people, and they turn into roses when they die, and there is a giant hornet involved, it might kill one of them.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
In the early 90s, there was a miniseries on I think network television that was anime-esque. It wasn't Japanese, but it could have been. Anyway, it's about a teen boy who discovers he's half alien or something, and he's supposed to stop an alien invasion or something. He identifies other aliens by the way their eye flickers or dilates. I could have sworn it was called something like "Invasion America" (though I know there's a live action show called that) or "Alien Invasion." I'm pretty sure "invasion" was in the title. poo poo's been bothering me for years.

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009

DemonDarkhorse posted:

In the early 90s, there was a miniseries on I think network television that was anime-esque. It wasn't Japanese, but it could have been. Anyway, it's about a teen boy who discovers he's half alien or something, and he's supposed to stop an alien invasion or something. He identifies other aliens by the way their eye flickers or dilates. I could have sworn it was called something like "Invasion America" (though I know there's a live action show called that) or "Alien Invasion." I'm pretty sure "invasion" was in the title. poo poo's been bothering me for years.

It was Invasion America. Produced by Dreamworks and Steven Spielberg. Only lasted one season on the WB channel (back when it existed) and didn't get enough good press to warrant a second. Good luck finding a copy of it.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

DemonDarkhorse posted:

Invasion America was indeed the title, though I was about finished with high school when that came out so it would have been late 90s. The big push behind that was that they plastered Steven Spielberg's name all over the thing since it was one of the first Dreamworks SKG TV animation projects, and their first to air on prime-time network television. My memory of it is that it wasn't as good as we were all hoping it to be (previous attempts in the 90s to show non-comedy animation in prime time failed to garner interest, and this followed suit), even though I want to say somebody at some point got cut vertically in half Kung Lao from Mortal Kombat-style.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Another submarine focused anime. Not the one mentioned before. The world had been flooded by some disaster so everything was done by sub. The good guys were fighting some sort of hybrid fish men that may have been the cause.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Dr_Amazing posted:

Another submarine focused anime. Not the one mentioned before. The world had been flooded by some disaster so everything was done by sub. The good guys were fighting some sort of hybrid fish men that may have been the cause.

Blue submarine No. 6

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
In a similar vein, there was a manga I read a while ago where some sort of aliens had possessed old naval vessels and used them to prevent all sea travel. The good guys crewed a rouge submarine controlled by a friendly alien. I can remember most of the details about it, just not the name.

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

In a similar vein, there was a manga I read a while ago where some sort of aliens had possessed old naval vessels and used them to prevent all sea travel. The good guys crewed a rouge submarine controlled by a friendly alien. I can remember most of the details about it, just not the name.

Arpeggio of Blue Steel. Not exactly "aliens" so much as "personifications of self-aware AI." Though whether those are alien AI is up for debate.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Lance Streetman posted:

Blue submarine No. 6

Bingo

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Kleptobot posted:

Arpeggio of Blue Steel. Not exactly "aliens" so much as "personifications of self-aware AI." Though whether those are alien AI is up for debate.
Thanks, that's the one I was looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

Daryl Surat posted:

Invasion America was indeed the title,

Kleptobot posted:

It was Invasion America. Produced by Dreamworks and Steven Spielberg.

Thanks. Don't know why I was so sure it wasn't actually called Invasion America.

• Locked thread