Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
I am no anime aficionado. Hell I'm not really even an anime fan. But I come here humbly asking for your help.

I remember seeing an anime short several years ago (over 5 I believe) that I remember being called simply "Techno Anime". I could be wrong, but I think I remember the title being something stupidly vague like that. This wasn't some kid editing a bunch of anime together to an electronica song, but a complete short film with a bumpin soundtrack written specifically for it.

Things I remember about the film:

- It was about souls (I think). They would get separated from people and harvested by some bad guy (with a very high shrill voice naturally). He (she / it?) would have a big robot controlled like a puppet, and go around eating them up.

- There was a group of rogues who would try to free these soul things. In the end they eventually get the bad guy eaten by his own robot.

- The end credits were a bunch of the kids in the film singing something in English.

If I remember anything else, I will post it here. But I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks advance in your help!

P.S. Go ahead and make this an "identify this anime" megathread or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike Toole
Apr 9, 2001

WE ARE GOING BACK!!
Sounds like Noiseman Sound Insect, by the great Koji Morimoto.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
Nailed it, thank you!

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
This is going to be vague as gently caress because I saw this forever ago, but here goes:

Can anyone remember an anime (actually it might be western animation, but I don't think so) about a bunch of armored suit pilots (specifically smaller than a mecha. One scene I remember was the pilot testing the arm, he was squeezing his hand, and the suit was imitating it and it was maybe twice the size of the pilot?

The plot was something vaguely Mars-related, and involved a woman who was somehow not what she appeared to be (clone or alien pretending to be the woman or something like that.)

I'm thinking it might have been based on Bradbury?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mirconium posted:

This is going to be vague as gently caress because I saw this forever ago, but here goes:

Can anyone remember an anime (actually it might be western animation, but I don't think so) about a bunch of armored suit pilots (specifically smaller than a mecha. One scene I remember was the pilot testing the arm, he was squeezing his hand, and the suit was imitating it and it was maybe twice the size of the pilot?

The plot was something vaguely Mars-related, and involved a woman who was somehow not what she appeared to be (clone or alien pretending to be the woman or something like that.)

Martian Successor Nadesico? I might be wrong though. It's been a while since I (partially) watched it.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
sounds like MOBILE SUIT ZETA GUNDAM

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Does anyone remember an anime where two kids find magical koala wizards and then the koala wizards tell them they have to dress up as koalas and go to the magic koala wizard kingdom to find someone's dead grandpa or something?

Also the koala wizards in the koala wizard world are fiercely racist and would utterly destroy the two kids if they found out they were not actually koala wizards as well.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Martian Successor Nadesico? I might be wrong though. It's been a while since I (partially) watched it.

I think this looks about right, thanks.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Doesn't sound right. An Aestivalis is standard mecha size, not small at all. Additionally, the pilots didn't need to move themselves to move their mecha.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mirconium posted:

Genesis Climber Mospeada had motorcycles that transformed into a mech that wasn't much larger than a human, an expeditionary force coming back from Mars to reclaim Earth, and involved three apparently female characters who weren't what they seemed; one was actually a dude who was hiding his identity, the other two were aliens changed into human form. It was adapted into the third part of Robotech, which might be the part about western animation you're remembering.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Mirconium posted:

This is Appleseed yo. The 2005 movie.

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 2, 2010

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
e: ^ ^ why did you remove the link?

Vincent Valentine posted:

Does anyone remember an anime where two kids find magical koala wizards and then the koala wizards tell them they have to dress up as koalas and go to the magic koala wizard kingdom to find someone's dead grandpa or something?

Also the koala wizards in the koala wizard world are fiercely racist and would utterly destroy the two kids if they found out they were not actually koala wizards as well.

This was definitely My Neighbor Totoro

Kweh fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 2, 2010

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Kweh posted:

I thought it would be :filez: since turns out the entire movie is up on youtube

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Kweh posted:

This was definitely My Neighbor Totoro

No it wasn't totoro had the giant cat not the koala wizards

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noozles turns out it's the Noozles, but there's only one kid. I'm mostly just happy I my parents weren't slipping me drugs when I was 5 years old and that the show actually exists because for awhile there I wasn't sure.

Vincent Valentine fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Sep 2, 2010

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noozles turns out it's the Noozles, but there's only one kid. I'm mostly just happy I my parents weren't slipping me drugs when I was 5 years old and that the show actually exists because for awhile there I wasn't sure.

Narrowed it down to either MOSPEADA or VOTOMS ruled out a bunch of others because the other criterion is that I saw it in '97 or so on a pirated VHS tape, so I have zero idea when it aired, but it was before then. (Sorry forgot to mention that.)

MOSPEADA is a good suggestion though, it might be it.

Votoms because I don't really remember if it was actually mars or not in the movie, just some red planet, and the art direction looks really similar, and I'm doing to watch it anyway, because, hey, why not?

Also, HOLY loving poo poo WHAT HE HELL IS THAT PEDO KOALA poo poo?

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

What the gently caress I am not going to lie, I thought you were just trolling.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Mirconium posted:

Also, HOLY loving poo poo WHAT HE HELL IS THAT PEDO KOALA poo poo?

It aired on nickeloden it's for 5 year olds not pedos.

Orientek
Nov 26, 2003
Durianmunchinks
Hopefully someone will be able to get this off my mind.

Saw a couple of shows sometime back. Might or might not be the same 1 show.

Here's what I recall:
-Giant mecha
-Magic
-Immortal in girl form
-Mecha launching from the ground
-Police cars/Secret service types hunting down protagonist

Might be a totally different show altogether:
-Last episode/arc involved all the protagonists on some sort of vessel going to a Ryleh-esque kind of island to do battle
-Some enemy had whips
-Sniper guy from the good team does something self sacrificial or someshit

Here's where it gets fuzzy..
-Minor character form villian team joining up with protagonist team
-Mass villian invasion of the good guys' base
-Villian with some poison capability

drat my memory is messed up.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Orientek posted:

Hopefully someone will be able to get this off my mind.

Saw a couple of shows sometime back. Might or might not be the same 1 show.

Here's what I recall:
-Giant mecha
-Magic
-Immortal in girl form
-Mecha launching from the ground
-Police cars/Secret service types hunting down protagonist

RahXephon?

edit: or Code Geass. Jesus, I think all of these fit just about every mecha show.

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 6, 2010

Orientek
Nov 26, 2003
Durianmunchinks

Ashenai posted:

RahXephon?

edit: or Code Geass. Jesus, I think all of these fit just about every mecha show.

Nope. It's neither of those. I think I might just be insane :(.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Demonbane comes to mind, but thats just the only magic + mecha show I can recall. The main dudes companion is a chick that is actually the necronomicon and she summons a mech for him to use to fight other grimoires and Lovecraftian old gods.

Grausherra
Jul 15, 2007

Look into my eyes...
Another vague as gently caress description but it's the best I can come up with after like 18 years. The anime itself seemed follow a more realistic style ála City Hunter.
I'm quite sure it must have been a filler episode or something.

Some girl decides to hide in a newly developed military tank that's equipped with AI.
The tank pretty much confines the girl inside and busts out from wherever it was. It rampages through the city wrecking stuff while the hero group and military try to intercept it as it's heading towards the ocean to sink itself.

I forgot how they managed to get the girl out of the tank but it ended on a happy note and the tank sinking itself.

Man, I'd be surprised if anyone could actually figure this one out :(

Orientek
Nov 26, 2003
Durianmunchinks

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Demonbane comes to mind, but thats just the only magic + mecha show I can recall. The main dudes companion is a chick that is actually the necronomicon and she summons a mech for him to use to fight other grimoires and Lovecraftian old gods.

I think you got it! Thanks!

usb teledildonics
Oct 10, 2009

those who came before me

Grausherra posted:

Another vague as gently caress description but it's the best I can come up with after like 18 years. The anime itself seemed follow a more realistic style ála City Hunter.

Some girl decides to hide in a newly developed military tank that's equipped with AI.
The tank pretty much confines the girl inside and busts out from wherever it was. It rampages through the city wrecking stuff while the hero group and military try to intercept it as it's heading towards the ocean to sink itself.

I forgot how they managed to get the girl out of the tank but it ended on a happy note and the tank sinking itself.

The only series I know of a girl in an AI tank is The Third: The Girl With the Blue Eye. I've only seen an episode, so I can't say anything about the ending you described.

Grausherra
Jul 15, 2007

Look into my eyes...

afro gunsou posted:

The only series I know of a girl in an AI tank is The Third: The Girl With the Blue Eye. I've only seen an episode, so I can't say anything about the ending you described.

A part inside me wishes that too but only if it were that easy.
The setting for this show was rather normal, like everything else besides the tank seemed to belong to 80's/90's in terms of looks. Even the tank looked like a normal M1 Abrams besides the whole AI thing.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Mirconium posted:

Maybe Exosquad? It's quite vague, Exosquad sorta fits the bill as it was an "American Anime" which more or less meant that it had a defined plot that went from A to B instead of villain of the week which was the standard at the time. Even if it's not that you should watch Exosquad it ruled.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

YouTuber posted:

Maybe Exosquad? It's quite vague, Exosquad sorta fits the bill as it was an "American Anime" which more or less meant that it had a defined plot that went from A to B instead of villain of the week which was the standard at the time. Even if it's not that you should watch Exosquad it ruled.

ExoSquad does rule, but I don't think it had a woman who wasn't what she appeared to be. Unless he's remembering Marsh's rat-tail and thought he was a woman.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

Grausherra posted:

The plot you've described sounds similar to Roujin Z, except it's not a girl trapped inside the AI machine that's heading out towards the ocean. It's an old man. Perhaps you saw it on the Sci-Fi Channel? The artwork is a bit more realistic-looking since the staff involves Katsuhiro Otomo (Akira) and the recently-deceased Satoshi Kon (Paranoia Agent).

MADOX-01 is also about someone trapped in a military unit (and incidentally ALSO starts with a scene of a pilot testing the arm of the machine that's about twice his size), but that's a regular guy in the suit. Plus, that's not really one people would likely encounter unless they were specifically tracking it down.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Mirconium posted:

I haven't seen (or read) it myself, but I know there was an anime adaptation of Starship Troopers. It had the armored suits and the American sci-fi author (Robert Heinlein) aspects, but I'm not sure about the rest.

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Here's one I've asked about in a few places over the years but haven't been able to find.

• One of the protagonists has a little amorphous blob for a pet which can turn into useful things like a parachute.
  • At one point there are these building-sized, slow-moving, highly destructive, sort-of-spherical robots moving down the streets of a city.
  • Near the end I think there was some kind of superweapon that made everything slowly turn red and disintegrate.
  • I'm probably misremembering this part but there may have been a giant sword or sword-shaped spacecraft gradually approaching a planet over the course of the film.

To give a time frame, I watched this on VHS when I was quite young and living in Russia, so it must have been available there around 1990-1993.

I hope someone can remember this for me, I really want to watch it again :ohdear:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Nomikos posted:

Here's one I've asked about in a few places over the years but haven't been able to find.

• One of the protagonists has a little amorphous blob for a pet which can turn into useful things like a parachute.
  • At one point there are these building-sized, slow-moving, highly destructive, sort-of-spherical robots moving down the streets of a city.
  • Near the end I think there was some kind of superweapon that made everything slowly turn red and disintegrate.
  • I'm probably misremembering this part but there may have been a giant sword or sword-shaped spacecraft gradually approaching a planet over the course of the film.

To give a time frame, I watched this on VHS when I was quite young and living in Russia, so it must have been available there around 1990-1993.

I hope someone can remember this for me, I really want to watch it again :ohdear:

The blob sounds a little bit like "Shadow Star" (Narutaru), but none of the other stuff sounds very familiar to me. Of course, I didn't get extremely far in that series, so it could be?

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

DrSunshine posted:

The blob sounds a little bit like "Shadow Star" (Narutaru), but none of the other stuff sounds very familiar to me. Of course, I didn't get extremely far in that series, so it could be?
Can't be, the wiki says this was only broadcast in 2003 which is way too late :(

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Nomikos posted:

That's probably Birth, also known as Planet Busters and World of the Talisman. Here's the blob pet, here's the sword floating through space, and here's the ending.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
Ok, there was this one(or two) episode OVA about pirates, the captain was some blonde with pigtails, and the crew had some elfish little kid, who later fights in energy form against some monster, also, I think the ship flies at some point. Anybody knows what was that?

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

cisneros posted:

Ok, there was this one(or two) episode OVA about pirates, the captain was some blonde with pigtails, and the crew had some elfish little kid, who later fights in energy form against some monster, also, I think the ship flies at some point. Anybody knows what was that?

Ellcia? Most of what you describe matches up.

It's a weird little series, from what I remember. The dark, violent atmosphere really clashes with the annoying, stupid-looking characters.

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Kid Fenris posted:

That's probably Birth, also known as Planet Busters and World of the Talisman. Here's the blob pet, here's the sword floating through space, and here's the ending.

Wow, that's definitely it. Just ordered a copy of the 2004 re-release :D Thank you!

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Kid Fenris posted:

Ellcia? Most of what you describe matches up.

It's a weird little series, from what I remember. The dark, violent atmosphere really clashes with the annoying, stupid-looking characters.

That's exactly it, thanks!(I've been typing "Celcia" to no avail). Man, Locomotion used to have a great selection before becoming Animax and turning into the "Bleach/FMA/Anything as unrelated to anime as possible" channel.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
I remember watching an anime on the Action Channel that had prisoners in the future fighting vampires and I think telekinetic robots. The dub had a character who called a dude a "dicksplash" so that's why I remember it.

usb teledildonics
Oct 10, 2009

those who came before me

Parmesan Basil posted:

I remember watching an anime on the Action Channel that had prisoners in the future fighting vampires and I think telekinetic robots. The dub had a character who called a dude a "dicksplash" so that's why I remember it.

Cyber City Odeo 808

Action Channel anime was the highlight of my youth. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

afro gunsou posted:

Cyber City Odeo 808

Action Channel anime was the highlight of my youth. :saddowns:

Yes! This one owned bones.

• Locked thread