Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Motorola and verizon are holding a press event Oct 18th to talk about their next generation of devices.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/10/10/motorola-teases-next-line-of-products-droid-razr-incoming-october-18/

Images seen in the teaser video include a razor blade, a feather, and a kevlar vest. It looks like the Droid Razr with a thin light kevlar body may be the truth.

Hm, that seems so soon after the Bionic but I guess it really isn't if it doesn't come pit until the end if the year. Wonder if it'll be LTE? Im curious as to why we haven't heard a peep from the Vigor recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Codiusprime posted:

Wonder if it'll be LTE? Im curious as to why we haven't heard a peep from the Vigor recently.

Given HTC's seeming inability to deliver on a gingerbread LTE phone, maybe it's mired in the same software issues of the thunderbolt.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

bull3964 posted:

Given HTC's seeming inability to deliver on a gingerbread LTE phone, maybe it's mired in the same software issues of the thunderbolt.

Nah, they're busy harnessing cold fusion in a battery so they can get moderate to satisfactory battery life.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

On Bionics in particular?

Any 4G device..

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Reading about the Nexus Prime has me starting to get the itch. I got an Incredible in June of last year (well, purchased mid-May), what are the odds I'd be able to swing an early upgrade?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Er... anyone having this problem where you have full bars but then when you try to make a call, they immediately disappear, it immediately says call failed, and then kicks you back to the home screen and the bars suddenly reappear? I'm on a Thunderbolt and it was working fine last night, but I just woke up today and this is happening every time I try to make a call. What the gently caress.

EDIT: NEVERmind... I'm an idiot and last night in my groggy overnight call state I mistoggled the LTE On/Off and it was on EvDo Only. That explains that!

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 11, 2011

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Has it been settled whether an ESN swap from an LTE to a CDMA only device immediately kills your SIM? I thought you had some period of time (measured in days) to change your mind before the SIM was permanently ruined, but it seems like I was wrong? The Verizon website keeps rejecting my old SIM card number.

I did an ESN swap with my Thunderbolt to an iPhone on Saturday, and now I've decided to go back to the TB and wait for a 4S or Galaxy Prime, but I guess I can't do that unless I go get a new SIM now?

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 11, 2011

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007
So what is my best bet for getting a 4s Friday through Verizon if I haven't preordered? I have a Verizon store in the mall, and a Best Buy close by. I can show up at either one when they open. I live right outside of Philly, if that's any help.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

Has it been settled whether an ESN swap from an LTE to a CDMA only device immediately kills your SIM? I thought you had some period of time (measured in days) to change your mind before the SIM was permanently ruined, but it seems like I was wrong? The Verizon website keeps rejecting my old SIM card number.

I did an ESN swap with my Thunderbolt to an iPhone on Saturday, and now I've decided to go back to the TB and wait for a 4S or Galaxy Prime, but I guess I can't do that unless I go get a new SIM now?

When I swapped from the TB to the Pre2, the website said I had 90 days before my sim was deactivated. However, when I tried to go back to the TB after 1 week, I couldn't reactivate my card and had to swing by my local VZW corporate store. I'm not sure if I'm the exception but the guy at the Verizon store said something that my Pre2 wouldn't release my ESN or something wacky.

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!
I'm on a family plan and upgraded to a bionic a month ago at Costco. As it turns out I'm now trying to decide if I'm going to go to grad school abroad in the next 6 months... if I do that I obviously won't be here to use my phone.

This begs the question - does my 2 year extension of service apply to my calling plan AND my data plan? ie - in March before I leave could I downgrade to a feature phone and only continue paying the per-line fee, rather than the per-line fee + $30 for data?

From my reading of the contract I was given at costco, I'm only on the hook for a 2 year extension of my calling plan, not my data. Hoping to get some confirmation on that here before I call to start figuring out the nuts and bolts of how I'm gonna do this.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Random dude on the internet makes prediction that the Nexus announcement was delayed for due to Samsung's ongoing patent fight with Apple.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9220725/Nexus_Prime_smartphone_Android_4.0_delayed_over_patent_dispute_?taxonomyId=15

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Bobx66 posted:

Random dude on the internet makes prediction that the Nexus announcement was delayed for due to Samsung's ongoing patent fight with Apple.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9220725/Nexus_Prime_smartphone_Android_4.0_delayed_over_patent_dispute_?taxonomyId=15

Already disputed by 9to5Google:

http://9to5google.com/2011/10/11/murtazin-google-delaying-nexus-primeics-because-of-apple-patents/

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Excellent. When can I preorder this loving phone?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I know right. At this point I don't give a gently caress. I want them to announce the drat thing and tell me if they are going to gently caress it up on Verizon. This waiting game us pretty lame.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I just want to hear it has touchwiz and is super locked down so I can keep my target on the Vigor.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

JayKay posted:

I just want to hear it has touchwiz and is super locked down so I can keep my target on the Vigor.

And then you can flash your own kernels and underclock it til its close to locking up in order to squeeze an extra 30 minutes out of the laughable 4 hour battery they will inevitably put in the phone. HTC is retarded.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

AppleCobbler posted:

And then you can flash your own kernels and underclock it til its close to locking up in order to squeeze an extra 30 minutes out of the laughable 4 hour battery they will inevitably put in the phone. HTC is retarded.

If I learned anything from my Thunderbolt is that a $60 Seidio 3500 mah battery is required to get any decent 4G battery life.

:suicide:

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

tismondo posted:

I'm on a family plan and upgraded to a bionic a month ago at Costco. As it turns out I'm now trying to decide if I'm going to go to grad school abroad in the next 6 months... if I do that I obviously won't be here to use my phone.

This begs the question - does my 2 year extension of service apply to my calling plan AND my data plan? ie - in March before I leave could I downgrade to a feature phone and only continue paying the per-line fee, rather than the per-line fee + $30 for data?

From my reading of the contract I was given at costco, I'm only on the hook for a 2 year extension of my calling plan, not my data. Hoping to get some confirmation on that here before I call to start figuring out the nuts and bolts of how I'm gonna do this.

Yes and no. You can change plans without charge and, if you bought a basic phone you could drop to the cheapest plan available for calls only. Regarding data, though, if you use a smartphone you're required to have a data plan. The only exception is smartphones from 3+ years ago which did not require data, if you buy one off EBay. However, you may be able to suspend your contract or catch Verizon increasing a fee that lets you terminate without a fee. Ultimately, it may be cheapest to just pay the fee depending on how many months are left.

A big if is whether CostCo has their own policy like most other resellers. If you switch to a cheaper plan within a certain period of time, as long as 6 months, or cancel (for any reason) they may charge you a termination fee.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

tismondo posted:

Don't forget that the ETF is prorated and drops $10 every month you have service, so you'll be probably 7 months in by the time you move, and you're down to $280 by that point rather than the full $350.

Then if you keep the line and cut it down to a dumbphone plan, you're paying $10/month plus taxes. I don't know what your locality comes out to be but my mother in law has a dumphone on my shareplan and it ends up being $13/month after taxes, so I'm going to use that in my calculations here.

Paying the remaining 17 months at $13/month comes out to $221, so really you're doing all that to save $60. If I were in your shoes I'd just port the number to Google Voice so I could keep it when I came back home, and pay the ETF to be done with it all.

edit: Also, yes, check your Costco contract because some resellers do put their own 6 month ETFs in there that DO require keeping the data plan for that 6 months too (this is the case with Amazon). I assume this is because Verizon has a clawback clause in the vendor contracts that keeps them from getting their commission if you change plans or cancel too soon. I don't see anything on Costco's website about this but you should look at the paperwork Costco gave you.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 12, 2011

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

tzirean posted:

Reading about the Nexus Prime has me starting to get the itch. I got an Incredible in June of last year (well, purchased mid-May), what are the odds I'd be able to swing an early upgrade?

Yeah, me too - I'm not up for renewal until January 2, but drat, I really want this phone.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
I need to go to a verizon store and get another smart phone (I broke my current smart phone). I'm on a family plan, but im across the country right now. Can I buy and activate a phone (no contract changes, not using an upgrade) without the main account holder present? Or can I just have their info available to give?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

uG posted:

I need to go to a verizon store and get another smart phone (I broke my current smart phone). I'm on a family plan, but im across the country right now. Can I buy and activate a phone (no contract changes, not using an upgrade) without the main account holder present? Or can I just have their info available to give?

I've done this before, and as long as they can get ahold of the main account holder by phone for authorisation when you go to buy the new phone, you should be good. Just make sure to work it out ahead of time with the main account holder so that they'll be reachable while you're at the store.

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

WeaselWeaz posted:

Yes and no. You can change plans without charge......
It's a family plan which will continue being used by others even if I go away, so there's no plan change happening. It's just a matter of what happens to my line. I'm perfectly fine paying the per-line charge (the $13ish with taxes kitten smoothie quoted) because I'll still be travelling back and forth a bit during holidays and free time. It would save me the hassle of dealing with phone activations each time. The $30 data was what was really worrying me. Looks like people are agreeing I can cancel that problem-free as long as I downgrade to a feature phone on my line. This is good news, and also what I understood from reading the contract (I'm not well versed in legalese, thus I was doublechecking here.)

kitten smoothie posted:

If I were in your shoes I'd just port the number to Google Voice so I could keep it when I came back home, and pay the ETF to be done with it all.
I was on the google voice train early so no one even knows my verizon # - so while I have no particular attachment to it, I still think I'll keep it open pending a real calculation of exactly how much it'll cost vs paying ETF on my line. If it saves me $60 like you said you thought it might, and also means I'm able to make calls when I'm home I'd say it's the way to go. I'll just give the main account holder the difference and it shouldn't really cause extra hassle on anyone's end.

Thanks for the advice, guys!

Endor
Aug 15, 2001

Penguissimo posted:

I've done this before, and as long as they can get ahold of the main account holder by phone for authorisation when you go to buy the new phone, you should be good. Just make sure to work it out ahead of time with the main account holder so that they'll be reachable while you're at the store.

Or you could just have the primary account holder call in ahead of time and add you as an "authorized user" or whatever the term is to be able to make changes without having to ask for permission every time you want modify an account.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
So as far as I can tell, the OTA Gingerbread update for the Thunderbolt has been available since 2 weeks ago. However, every time I check for an update, my phone reports that there isn't a new one. Do OTA updates roll out gradually across the country, or am I missing something?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Chu020 posted:

So as far as I can tell, the OTA Gingerbread update for the Thunderbolt has been available since 2 weeks ago. However, every time I check for an update, my phone reports that there isn't a new one. Do OTA updates roll out gradually across the country, or am I missing something?

Pretty sure they stopped the rollout of the update because there were some problems with it.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Pretty sure they stopped the rollout of the update because there were some problems with it.

What problems? I updated mine and it's running pretty sweet.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Radio Nowhere posted:

It breaks voicemail notifications, lock screens, the phone's clock, the phone's camera and Google Talk, among other things. Though not for 100% of people, I guess.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Radio Nowhere posted:

It fried my Sim card.

I just got done sending back three thunderbolts because each replacement they sent me was messed up, and the replacement sim wouldn't activate. it got so bad they gave me a bionic on the house and paid for my month of service.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Just saw this over in C/D: if you're a new signup to Verizon, every phone on their service is available for a penny through Amazon. Not bad.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

tzirean posted:

It breaks voicemail notifications, lock screens, the phone's clock, the phone's camera and Google Talk, among other things. Though not for 100% of people, I guess.

Hmm I'll have to check notifications, the other stuff listed work fine. My sim card certainly isn't fried!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Matlock posted:

Just saw this over in C/D: if you're a new signup to Verizon, every phone on their service is available for a penny through Amazon. Not bad.

I hate how they do this for new customers but not for current customers. My wife and I would renew immediately if we could get the phones cheap like that.

Also, Verizon has to work harder to let their customers know when deals are going on. Logged into our account last week only to see that we could upgrade and get a hundred dollar gift card for Verizon. It unfortunately ended that night and we did not have time to see if it was worth it. If they would have sent an e-mail a couple of days before hand, we would have had time to talk about it.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Port your numbers to a prepaid service like Page Plus, then sign up for the deal?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Rastor posted:

Port your numbers to a prepaid service like Page Plus, then sign up for the deal?

All major carriers have a time limit, once you cancel you can only sign up with a new contract after 60 days or something like that.

And the reason pricing is different is that Verizon pays amazon more for new customers than upgrades, and Amazon passes along that pricing.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

JayKay posted:

When I swapped from the TB to the Pre2, the website said I had 90 days before my sim was deactivated. However, when I tried to go back to the TB after 1 week, I couldn't reactivate my card and had to swing by my local VZW corporate store. I'm not sure if I'm the exception but the guy at the Verizon store said something that my Pre2 wouldn't release my ESN or something wacky.

I stopped into a corporate store this morning to get a new SIM and the guy tried activating it for me. It took him 45 minutes and a phone call to Verizon's support line to do it. I don't know if it was the swap to a CDMA only device that fouled things up or if he was just incompetent, but either way it was annoying.

After seeing how a CDMA iPhone actually behaves in the real world I realized I missed the LTE device, warts and all. I was getting flashbacks to being on my EDGE iPhone 4 years ago.

The wife loves her Verizon iPhone but she mainly uses it for email and maybe does 200 mb of data a month tops, so the speed means nothing to her.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 12, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Phandroid is claiming that Google and Samsung are pretty much handling the release of the Galaxy Prime without much input from Verizon.

gently caress em I say.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Codiusprime posted:

Phandroid is claiming that Google and Samsung are pretty much handling the release of the Galaxy Prime without much input from Verizon.

gently caress em I say.

Now if only they would quit messing around with all these targeted leaks (you can't convince me the leaked images and apks were not intentionally done same time as they delay the press event so as to let people down easy and keep buzz going) and announce it, so I can give them my credit card number and get this all over with.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 12, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
TAKE MY MONEY YOU ASSHOLES!

It's seriously like they almost don't want it.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Anyone have experience with the HTC Rhyme? My normally smartphone and touchscreen hating fiancee wants to get one. The color and Charm accessory hooked her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

WeaselWeaz posted:

Anyone have experience with the HTC Rhyme? My normally smartphone and touchscreen hating fiancee wants to get one. The color and Charm accessory hooked her.

I usually dislike gender-specific gadgets, but overall I'd say the Rhyme a pretty drat good phone. I will confess the charm is pretty much a gimmick, but the included charging dock and headphones are pretty top quality. If it wasn't plum-colored, I'd recommend it to my customers as often as I recommend the Incredible 2.

• Locked thread